Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712303 times)

Fable

• Lieutenant
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #620 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:27 AM »
Decompilers only work really well for certain types of programming languages, and the CoH binary is almost certain not one of them.

More to the point, if CoH were to license the binary, the sort of thing you're suggesting would be in violation of the spirit of the agreement, if not the letter.

Assuming that we get what's described: I23 with no ability to modify or update, I propose that we be happy with that until the CoH1.5 project(s) come to fruition.

So basically any efforts on 1.5 would be from the ground up?
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #621 on: September 03, 2014, 01:35:29 AM »
So basically any efforts on 1.5 would be from the ground up?

Irish_Girl has gone into the specifics of the APR efforts so far, and they're basically deconstructing the game bit by bit. It isn't exactly from scratch, but it isn't using the original code.
Woo! - Argent Girl

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #622 on: September 03, 2014, 01:35:48 AM »
Not a bad thing at all.   Those tracks still sound awesome to me.

The only request if anything is to some what overhaul the attack sounds. The "wobble" from psi attacks and Ice Slick making the same sound as Assault Rifle "Buckshot" are some of the reasons why I played CoX on mute

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #623 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »
When I read the post you're talking about, all I could think of is...

"Everyone knows fe-males don't have the lobes for business!"

Oh Quark! And you wonder why Major Kira always turns you down.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #624 on: September 03, 2014, 01:57:53 AM »
When I read the post you're talking about, all I could think of is...

"Everyone knows fe-males don't have the lobes for business!"
This has made my evening. Lol.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #625 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:33 AM »
That's precisely why I had so many 50s and had the time to create a Warshade guide that was 50+ pages long as well as dozens of "sample builds" inserted into it... I was unemployed for much of 2008-2009 (due to the 2008 economic meltdown), and playing every day then was what I did to keep myself from going deeper into depression and self-loathing about my inabilities to do anything at the time.

One of these days, I'm going to create a thread and detail exactly everything that CoH meant to me, but I need to do it during a time that I won't be breaking down crying half the time. I need to be able to finish it. :)

Um...was your coh forum name Dechs Kaison? If so, you should know I modeled my own warshade after that playstyle. It was an epic guide.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #626 on: September 03, 2014, 02:12:59 AM »
That's precisely why I had so many 50s and had the time to create a Warshade guide that was 50+ pages long as well as dozens of "sample builds" inserted into it... I was unemployed for much of 2008-2009 (due to the 2008 economic meltdown), and playing every day then was what I did to keep myself from going deeper into depression and self-loathing about my inabilities to do anything at the time.

One of these days, I'm going to create a thread and detail exactly everything that CoH meant to me, but I need to do it during a time that I won't be breaking down crying half the time. I need to be able to finish it. :)
That was you?

You were my hero! Enabled me to turn my "this sucks" guy into an awesome kick-ass monster!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #627 on: September 03, 2014, 02:23:30 AM »
No, everyone is several dozen concepts deep into Icon and/or Mid's

Yes, I admit to this. I have been going through MIDS looking at each build for my characters and finishing a few unfinished builds. 

Not sure if I'll bring all my characters back if the game returns, but my core characters will return.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #628 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
It appears that the Valiance Online team has declined reworking their game to make it part of City of Heroes universe.  It was announced on their facebook page.  They were respectful of Paragon and Nate and MWM but it sounds like they've gone too far into development to go back and rewrite everything.

No worries, I'll play their game too.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #629 on: September 03, 2014, 02:39:04 AM »
Um...was your coh forum name Dechs Kaison? If so, you should know I modeled my own warshade after that playstyle. It was an epic guide.

That was you?

You were my hero! Enabled me to turn my "this sucks" guy into an awesome kick-ass monster!

No, no, no.... Credit where credit is due! Dechs was one of my own personal heroes...His guide on the softcapping defenses was what got me really into min/maxing and inspired me to enhance and fully revise my guide two years later! (And, dare I say, my original guide was what inspired him to write his Warshade guide!) I had many a good conversation with him, and we linked each other's guides within our own guides. My forum name was AlienOne there as it is here. His guide was primarily geared towards tri-form Warshading (fantastic guide!), and my guide was specifically for human-only form Warshading. We each tackled Warshades via different playstyles, although we both took a page from each other's book and tried out each other's builds.

He was a total legend in the Kheldian community. I can't take credit for his work. Is he even around these boards? I have never seen him...

Here's my original guide--you can see him in the comment section ask me if I was going to write a tri-form guide and then threaten to make his own (I'm glad he did!):
https://web.archive.org/web/20120906174916/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=190529

And here is my "newly revised" guide (at the time) posted two years later, which I thought was way more thorough and much more in-depth:
https://web.archive.org/web/20120906052513/http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=280670

And here is Dech's guide:
http://dechskaison.blogspot.com/2011/01/mfing-warshade.html
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:50:16 AM by AlienOne »
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #630 on: September 03, 2014, 02:50:09 AM »
He was a total legend in the Kheldian community.

Not just for Khelds - his guide to tanking were why I became a good tank! Without them I dunno where I'd be!

I've been wishing I could find some modern (i23 compliant, not just for the relaunch but because PBs changed a LOT) PB buildcraft theory to read over just as something to pass the time, but I haven't had much luck in searching.

I'd forgotten his name because I read all of his guides thoroughly after the tank guide helped me learn so much, but it was awhile ago. Couldn't remember his handle. Even if I can't do anything with the info, reading this sort of thing is really fun for me... so thanks for the links! :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #631 on: September 03, 2014, 02:51:46 AM »
Not just for Khelds - his guide to tanking were why I became a good tank! Without them I dunno where I'd be!

I've been wishing I could find some modern (i23 compliant, not just for the relaunch but because PBs changed a LOT) PB buildcraft theory to read over just as something to pass the time, but I haven't had much luck in searching.

I'd forgotten his name because I read all of his guides thoroughly after the tank guide helped me learn so much, but it was awhile ago. Couldn't remember his handle. Even if I can't do anything with the info, reading this sort of thing is really fun for me... so thanks for the links! :D

Not a problem! I plan to finish up my guide if/when CoH goes back up... I only had to finish up the Incarnate section (and add a few videos) before it was complete. If you happen to read one of my guides, please read the second one--it's much better, easier to read, and more thorough. I only posted the first one I wrote because I wanted to show Dech's comment... :)
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

felix

• Underling
« Reply #632 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:18 AM »
I also learned what I know about tanking from Dechs Kaison. (DA/SS Tank) And then I met him, just a few nights after the end was announced. Great guy.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #633 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:24 AM »
That Tank Guide.. was more than a Guide.. It was Literature....

http://dechskaison.blogspot.com/2011/06/last-rule-of-tanking.html

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #634 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:50 AM »
Great guy.

For sure... He was one of the people that (to me) embodied everything that was good about the CoH community. The fact that I got to know him, interact with him, and even receive compliments from him (and Smiling Joe--another forum legend) is really what gave me a sense of self-worth at the time. I know that may sound a little crazy, but going through unemployment for over a year and having no one hire you will do many things to a person's psyche.

City of Heroes was way, way, way more meaningful to some people than a lot of the business people over there in Korea even realized (I think). I think a lot of the CoH devs understood it though...

Desmartica

• Underling
« Reply #635 on: September 03, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Oh, I used to read all of you guys' stuff too.

But...you probably already knew that.

AIB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXVQYFI83HE

Kheld Friday!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #636 on: September 03, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »
Oh, I used to read all of you guys' stuff too.

But...you probably already knew that.

AIB

Alien In Black!!! Yeah! All kinds of people coming out of hiding lately! :D

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #637 on: September 03, 2014, 03:17:31 AM »
I know that may sound a little crazy, but going through unemployment for over a year and having no one hire you will do many things to a person's psyche.

Sittin on about three at the moment on this end, I know that exact feeling. I used CoH very similarly.

Glad we all still have eachother here, even if it isn't the same... for now :)
Woo! - Argent Girl

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #638 on: September 03, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »
Sittin on about three at the moment on this end, I know that exact feeling. I used CoH very similarly.

Glad we all still have eachother here, even if it isn't the same... for now :)

+1

Hang in there. In my experience, it can only get better--and it did!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #639 on: September 03, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
+1

Hang in there. In my experience, it can only get better--and it did!

Good things are better when you wait