Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712671 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #600 on: September 03, 2014, 12:07:19 AM »
Barring something unseen...It will be using the original music, where appropriate.

That said... As a game that's going to be expanding, It will need new music at some point.
Not a bad thing at all.   Those tracks still sound awesome to me.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #601 on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:55 AM »
Yes, but what does that have to do with the sex of the owner? Why would a woman-owned company be more suspect than a man-owned company?

Because some states have tax breaks and incentive programs for woman and miniority-owned businesses.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #602 on: September 03, 2014, 12:14:24 AM »
Of course as MWM is not set up in this way for tax purposes, but for copyright and trademark protection, does not apply.

If anything, we've rather overpaid our taxes to-date, as I know if we used our international nature of volunteers to our advantage, we could have used accounting tricks to avoid paying more. (set up subsidies in the Netherlands, Cayman and Ireland, and bam, "what taxes?" Good old Double Irish with a Dutch Sandwich)

Exactly.  And while the cheapskate in me wonders "why the hell are you giving them so much money?", the pragmatist applauds you for not playing these games from the outset.  If it happens later, fine.

Tessachan

• Underling
« Reply #603 on: September 03, 2014, 12:14:34 AM »
I'm... overwhelmed?! Delighted, amazed, dizzy! This could be the biggest coup in MMO history! Ok, ok, I'll calm down, a little empathy & fortitude, right, I'm calming down <heart beating fast>. OMG, you totally rock the planet! Thank you, most humbly & gratefully, thank you.

Tessa

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #604 on: September 03, 2014, 12:17:12 AM »
So businesses owned by women are not subject to taxation? I am learning a lot here today.  8)

I was just amused and annoyed that the person whom I was quoting seemed to view "woman-owned" as fitting right in with his list of other objectionable criteria. Truly: whut.

No, as I stated elsewhere, minority and female-owned businesses in some states have particularly targeted tax breaks, incentive programs and are able to take advantage of programs that can lead to government contracts and the like.

In some cases, companies are setting up shill corporations as an "in" to take advantage of these benefits.  Hence the stigma of "woman owned business".

Stopping this tangent discussion as well.  As it's off-point and will inevitably lead to thread derailment.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #605 on: September 03, 2014, 12:24:58 AM »
Since it's a super hero game:

Ok, Harpo. You win. Your response was waaaay better than mine. :)
"Honest, I thought she was a lich! Look at those claws, that staring, cadaverous face; how was I to know?!"
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #606 on: September 03, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
This might a dumb question but will 1.5 have all of the zones and a few new zones?

With how beautiful Irish_Girl made Ouroboros, I believe she can complete Khalisti Warf :D
Woo! - Argent Girl

amrobinson

• Lord Spittle
  • Lieutenant
  • Thermal Bloom
« Reply #607 on: September 03, 2014, 12:42:03 AM »
It seems to me like the whole idea with CoH 1.5 is to basically have CoH live on in a more future-proofed way. Exactly CoH, just updatable, more features to AE, etc.

I really, really would like to believe this.

Really.

brought to you by
"I'm sorry, did you want to be set on fire as well?" - Dark Malice, 50+ Fire/Dark Corruptor
- Freedom, Champion servers

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #608 on: September 03, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »
Barring something unseen...It will be using the original music, where appropriate.

That said... As a game that's going to be expanding, It will need new music at some point.

I was wondering about this last night. I am delighted to hear this. I want all the original music right where it is now, and if we add new stuff of course that gets new music, but existing zones should keep their music.

I am really old school and when Mercy and Atlas got revamped, the fact that they lost their old music just about brought tears to my eyes. I LIKED knowing just what to expect as my level 2 ran out of Fort Darwin. Past the Shotgun Arbiter they would run, right out the gate and cue the music. [And I missed the Shotgun Arbiter, too..... he was a tradition, like seeing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer at Christmastime.]

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #609 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
;D Yeah, It's pretty. You guys should see it in-game. hehe.
I would be willing to watch a video of you walking around in those zones.  Not boring at all to me.  :D

I also would love to see your progress on YouTube. Perhaps once you have IP you could monitorzie the videos to get a little bit of money coming in that way while sharing your work with the community and promoting all at the same time.

On an unrelated note, I have a question for one of programmers on here. A VERY long time ago, I used a decompiler to turn a finished program back into it source code. No comments of course, and it produced some pretty horrifically ugly source code, but it worked none the less. Is that still the case now adays? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Shockacon

• Underling
« Reply #610 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:39 AM »
Hello,

I have a shot-in-the-dark question about the characters and the possibility of them being lost. When the sunset announcement was first made, someone (and I forget whom it was and apologize) had a program that made XML files out of toon information. After reading the OP, I scrounged around and found several XML files I made of the toons I wanted to save for the heck of it. Would it even be possible to think that those files could be used to incorporate rebuilt toons for the game if everything with this business deal goes through?

Shockacon

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #611 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:00 AM »
I have a shot-in-the-dark question about the characters and the possibility of them being lost. When the sunset announcement was first made, someone (and I forget whom it was and apologize) had a program that made XML files out of toon information. After reading the OP, I scrounged around and found several XML files I made of the toons I wanted to save for the heck of it. Would it even be possible to think that those files could be used to incorporate rebuilt toons for the game if everything with this business deal goes through?

Hello Shockacon, and welcome to the conversation :)

Basically there's loads of missing information in those files, and it being used professionally is unlikely. It was never intended to be used for a commercial relaunch, just if we got a private server going.

Sadly, it seems Sentinel+ files will be of little use to us going forward, except to make note of builds/costumes/etc.
Woo! - Argent Girl

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #612 on: September 03, 2014, 12:56:45 AM »
Is the paragon store part of the I23 code deal?  A lot of things such as powerstes were only purchaseable there?  If things like account info are gone, how can premium sets be available without the store?

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #613 on: September 03, 2014, 12:57:53 AM »

This is literally how I reacted when I read this thread. Though if I really had the cigar, it would have fallen out of my mouth by now.

Holy crap, man. Thank you so much for all you've done. For both the City of Heroes and the City of Titans.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #614 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »
Time does change things. I'm not at all sure I want to play 14 hours a day, even on a weekend like I did before. (I was unemployed for a year in 2011) That's just playing to be playing, forgetting about the real world. I'll be far more casual than I ever was - but you can bet I'll get me a level 50 as quickly as I can so I can lead those iTrials.

That's precisely why I had so many 50s and had the time to create a Warshade guide that was 50+ pages long as well as dozens of "sample builds" inserted into it... I was unemployed for much of 2008-2009 (due to the 2008 economic meltdown), and playing every day then was what I did to keep myself from going deeper into depression and self-loathing about my inabilities to do anything at the time.

One of these days, I'm going to create a thread and detail exactly everything that CoH meant to me, but I need to do it during a time that I won't be breaking down crying half the time. I need to be able to finish it. :)
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #615 on: September 03, 2014, 01:23:06 AM »
Hello,

Shockacon

That and I can edit mine to have whatever I want and what was missing hey I need a couple extra purple sets and maybe a couple pvp IO's I was missing

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #616 on: September 03, 2014, 01:23:29 AM »
I used a decompiler to turn a finished program back into it source code. No comments of course, and it produced some pretty horrifically ugly source code, but it worked none the less. Is that still the case now adays? I'm sure you know where I'm going with this.
Decompilers only work really well for certain types of programming languages, and the CoH binary is almost certain not one of them.

More to the point, if CoH were to license the binary, the sort of thing you're suggesting would be in violation of the spirit of the agreement, if not the letter.

Assuming that we get what's described: I23 with no ability to modify or update, I propose that we be happy with that until the CoH1.5 project(s) come to fruition.

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #617 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
Completely correct! If a woman owns it, that's pretty shady right there! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Geez Louise, like the sex of the owner is even relevant. That is the very last of our worries, why was this even mentioned. Thumbs down.  >:(

Agreed

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #618 on: September 03, 2014, 01:29:42 AM »
That and I can edit mine to have whatever I want and what was missing hey I need a couple extra purple sets and maybe a couple pvp IO's I was missing

You'll trip the cheater alarm.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #619 on: September 03, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
Completely correct! If a woman owns it, that's pretty shady right there! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

When I read the post you're talking about, all I could think of is...

"Everyone knows fe-males don't have the lobes for business!"