Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712910 times)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #340 on: September 02, 2014, 04:15:46 AM »
Forgive a no doubt really ignorant question, but why would they be so fierce about the source code for a game from 2004...? they cant possibly still be basing one of their current games off of it, this just seems kind of bonkers to me. How could that code be anything other than a curiosity in today's gaming world?

[Except to us, natch.]
Imagine a moment that CoH and, say, Lineage II share some key piece of code. Now, Lineage II is still in service in Asia, so this code, if sold, would cause a major problem for NCSoft in supporting their millions of customers in Asia. Now imagine CoH and Aion shared some other code. Then CoH and Guild Wars 2.... just how do you untangle the spiderweb of interconnected strands between all of these games which may or may not share code? NCSoft may not even know how tangled things are.

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #341 on: September 02, 2014, 04:17:41 AM »
That latter part was perhaps my reading into things, yes. As for the former part, check out this post from Nate.
Ah ty I hadn't seen that part. But. who would own this spin off company?

Dannii

• Minion
« Reply #342 on: September 02, 2014, 04:18:07 AM »
I'm just curious as to why there is no source code out there.  I recently graduated from college and every bit of code I wrote, I kept, and that includes code from members of team projects that I was involved with.  I would assume that I am not the only one who does this.

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #343 on: September 02, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
SCoRE (I thought it stood for Source Code Reverse Engineering?) is a rumoured attempt to reverse-engineer the source code of the game, and construct a functional server without buying or licensing anything.

There was more than one team.  It stood for "Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers".  It was server-side simulation only, nothing to do with the client side, apart from changing the command-line to point to the new server.

States

• Underling
« Reply #344 on: September 02, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
I'm patient.. I've waited this long for it to return or something like that to come along. Something better than DCUO.. As long it comes along I'm good

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #345 on: September 02, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »
Imagine a moment that CoH and, say, Lineage II share some key piece of code. Now, Lineage II is still in service in Asia, so this code, if sold, would cause a major problem for NCSoft in supporting their millions of customers in Asia. Now imagine CoH and Aion shared some other code. Then CoH and Guild Wars 2.... just how do you untangle the spiderweb of interconnected strands between all of these games which may or may not share code? NCSoft may not even know how tangled things are.

OIC. Well, you're right, that would be a problem for sure.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #346 on: September 02, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »
Forgive a no doubt really ignorant question, but why would they be so fierce about the source code for a game from 2004...? they cant possibly still be basing one of their current games off of it, this just seems kind of bonkers to me. How could that code be anything other than a curiosity in today's gaming world?

[Except to us, natch.]

Could be used as another bargaining chip to milk more money away from the buyer. Like I stated in the previous thread (that's why it was not surprise to me when I heard the account data was not included in this deal), a company doesn't give the entire package away, they piecemeal everything and anything to squeeze as much out of their buyers. Logically we think, they have no use to it, they should just include it. Almost a final dick move in a negotiation process. Your company has zero or no use for the piece of the product, but if there is someone willing to buy it, game on. This is not a bash on NC Soft, but just how all competent business run. Never give something away if you can make a profit to make your quarterly statement look that much better

Niklarus

• Underling
« Reply #347 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:58 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Downix {and again, just a general "THANK YOU"}

I guess for now its "The Holding Company"

(how about WHIP for We have IP)

I'm coming upon the news a little late and going through all the forum posts, so pardon me if someone's made this joke already, but how about Big Brother and the Holding Company?  'Cause CoH will always have a piece of my heart.   8)

http://youtu.be/9hcxbIln3sc

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #348 on: September 02, 2014, 04:26:15 AM »
There was more than one team.  It stood for "Secret Cabal of Reverse Engineers".  It was server-side simulation only, nothing to do with the client side, apart from changing the command-line to point to the new server.
Well, you're talking out yer butt. Who are you again? ;) It *is* one team (but more than one person), and it *is* attempting to reverse engineer *the game*, not just the server. More than that is privileged information, and even *I* - as a Titan Mod - am not privy to most of it.

I think you may be confusing what's going on with Titan Network's "SCoRE" team.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #349 on: September 02, 2014, 04:28:58 AM »
Ah ty I hadn't seen that part. But. who would own this spin off company?

Gerhardt Eisenstadt.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #350 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:40 AM »

[Except to us, natch.]

You are correct that the source code is dated for a 2004 game.
And even the 2012 version of it would be a monstrocity.

However when resurrecting a game, it seems to me that what is paramount is not so much the source code per se, but rather how did it 'feel' to the player.

Having the code offer clues when writing a contemporary model. Getting the feel right is more important than the coding language. If it doesn't 'feel' like CoX, then even the most exemplary code would not connect with the player.

Hopefully the new devs have shown enough skill to convince NCSoft that bumps in the road will not be disasterous.  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #351 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:54 AM »

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #352 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:07 AM »
Hey all, I just want to point out some things that I'm reading into Nate's post that I think a lot of people are missing.

First of all, regarding access to existing character data, I24, and various game improvements, I'm going to highlight a few words that I feel are more important than people are giving them credit for being:

The proposal as it stands right now (this is not a final form, just the current proposal on the table) is this:
The existing user database and characters are not part of this arrangement at this time, nor is the source code.

The funny thing about business negotiations is that things change.  The stuff that Nate put in this post is a starting point just to get NCsoft to the table, not an ending point.  So until the ink is dry and more details are released, please don't count out the possibility that these things might actually come to pass.  And even after the ink is dry, don't discount the possibility that Nate and crew eventually go back to the bargaining table to get more stuff depending on how things go after the relaunch.

Speaking of which, I don't want to always be the Debbie Downer, but I'd be remiss if I didn't also point out these lines that a lot of people are ignoring:

Right now, still discussing terms, ideas, limits. The challenges we have been given we stepped up for and handled. Likely there will be discussions and adjustments right up until the moment the deal is signed. The whole thing may fall apart. For all we know, everything done so far has been nothing but a delaying tactic so they can say once again that they tried to work with the community to no avail. But until such time that becomes clear, we will continue forward in good faith.

Please always keep in the back of your mind that this is NOT a done deal.  I've seen a lot of posts here and on Facebook from people essentially claiming that Nate posted about the game's relaunch.  He didn't.  He posted about how he and his crew are still trying to negotiate for the game's relaunch.  Now, this isn't entirely bad news because personally, I think it's exciting that even on the two-year anniversary of the game's shutdown announcement people are still trying to relaunch the game.  But I will reiterate again that I want to make sure that people are cautiously optimistic.

Last, but not least, there is one thing I outright disagree with Nate about in his post:

...migrate people off of the classic game engine before it finally becomes unsuitable (we expect this to happen around when Windows 9 is released, due to binary compatibility).

I dunno, maybe he's actually tested the classic game client on Windows 9, since there are beta versions of it out there.  But if not, I would be inclined to strongly suspect that the classic game client would work fine on Windows 9, just as it does on Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.  To my knowledge, there aren't any binary incompatibilities unless you try to play on a different platform (such as Windows RT), and in my experience, it is highly unusual for Microsoft to do anything to break backwards compatibility to that extent.  I may be wrong and end up eating those words, so as I always ask people, take my secondhand information worth a grain of salt.  But I've seen a lot of posts in here about how once Windows 9 comes out, the classic CoH game client will be toast, and I just don't think that's correct and I encourage people to not worry so much about that.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #353 on: September 02, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »
Gerhardt Eisenstadt.

A) Lol.
B) No. Nope. Nuh uh. Not even once. Niet. Nein.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #354 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:30 AM »
Thanks Tony!

We're nearly there!  ;D

Edited for stupidity
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #355 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »
So would this spin off licensing company be a subsidiary of NCSoft?

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #356 on: September 02, 2014, 04:34:57 AM »

I simply have no desire to pay for, or have faith in, a game that has no real future. so I probably wont return if pay to play is on the table, or anything in the market costs anything, which it most certainly will be the case since I know even running a game in maintenance mode isn't free.

While it is still way to early to know how this will pan out, but some of the fees paid on the 'maintenance mode' I23 'classic" CoH might be used to pay expenses used to make the Unreal 4 "CoH 1.5" version.  Particularly if those two are being managed by the same company.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #357 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:27 AM »
Interesting news.
It may not be the best news possible, but it's still good news. For now i shall remain cautiously optimistic.
Additionally i have revised my hopes for playing City of Heroes again to realistically be sometime in 2015 at the earliest, which is many orders of magnitude better than never.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #358 on: September 02, 2014, 04:35:53 AM »
A) Lol.
B) No. Nope. Nuh uh. Not even once. Niet. Nein.

And yet, would it not be the ultimate victory? Mwahahahahaaaa!

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #359 on: September 02, 2014, 04:37:14 AM »
-Just read Tony's post. Seriously, I'm not going to quote something that freaking long -IG

A wild TonyV appears! With some good points, no less.

On the windows 9 topic... It will prolly run the client, if nothing else with some form of Comparability Mode. I think it's being a little over-focused on, personally.
People will always have the option to just...not move to Windows 9. -shrug- or Dual Booting, or having a separate PC set aside for it.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com