Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1740816 times)

Without_Pause

• Minion
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #260 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:02 AM »
Glad the game is coming back. The CoH 1.5 part sounds like a mess until it gets cleared up. Let's just say I would like certain projects to have no part in CoH but apparently they are now free to do so. Again, how it is currently worded is done poorly.

Septipheran

« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:29 AM »
Wow, you came out of hiding, Bro! :D

Haha. I did. If it makes you feel any better, whenever I've checked in for news I always stopped to read your posts.  8)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2014, 01:40:03 AM »
Well this is certainly good news!

Thanks to all for the efforts and the patience.

I think I get what you're saying about the technical aspects of things after a thorough read of the thread. These can mostly be worked with, adapted to, or outright kludged. I'm 100% certain that someone somewhere will be able to keep the original COH/COV game running even beyond 2020 if there's still enough people willing to play.

The MAIN thing that gives me hope though is in fact the IP being released. With THAT - the stories, the concepts, even visual designs - you can keep the world of Paragon City going INDEFINITELY through many iterations and games!

That's ENORMOUS. I can't overstate how important that is. If THAT part of the deal goes through as described, then the game really HAS been changed! In ALL senses of the word!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #263 on: September 02, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
Since I'm not on the team that would be running CoH's maint. mode, I can't make promises on their behalf. But... I'm pretty sure the i23 server will run in perpetuity. The server is completely separate from any Operating System concerns.
CoH will run on anything that it currently runs on. It's the same client you've all got now. As to if it'll run well on Windows 9, I can't say until I've got a copy of Windows 9 I could test on.
As for OSX, I don't own a Mac but I do believe there's an Issue 23 version of the Mac Client floating around.

Thanks for your answer, Irish_Girl. I sent you a PM.

Side note.... This guy's avatar is basically how I was when I was reading the announcement:

(Click my name above to see my avatar)
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #264 on: September 02, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »
Thanks for your answer, Irish_Girl. I sent you a PM.

Side note.... This guy's avatar is basically how I was when I was reading the announcement:

No problem, Today seems to be pretty much dedicated to answering peoples questions! :D
And oooh, a PM!
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Rubberlad

• Minion
« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:53 AM »
I don't believe they would do that. From everything I've heard, the intention is to keep Missing Worlds Media and the licensing group completely separate.

There's a difference between unethical and what's potentially mismanaged.

Mind you, Nate says they started talking to NCsoft in September 2013 - that's prior to the CoT kickstarter going live. Personally, if I'd known there was a discussion in progress with NCsoft, I wouldn't have then gone out and asked folks for money to fund the spiritual successor of a game that I was actively (but quietly) trying to buy back. That alone has all sorts of red flags - but I digress.

Septipheran

« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2014, 01:48:58 AM »
There's a difference between unethical and what's potentially mismanaged.

Mind you, Nate says they started talking to NCsoft in September 2013 - that's prior to the CoT kickstarter going live. Personally, if I'd known there was a discussion in progress with NCsoft, I wouldn't have then gone out and asked folks for money to fund the spiritual successor of a game that I was actively (but quietly) trying to buy back. That alone has all sorts of red flags - but I digress.

The thing about that is that the effort to buy back COH was never (and still isn't) guaranteed. COT is and was a sure thing, something they knew they could do, so I can't say I blame them for moving forward as if COH wouldn't be back. If these negotiations fall apart, I'm willing to bet that a lot of people will be glad that COT is still being developed. A lot of people will probably play both games also, in the event that COH is saved.

Rubberlad

• Minion
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2014, 01:51:17 AM »
The thing about that is that the effort to buy back COH was never (and still isn't) guaranteed. COT is and was a sure thing, something they knew they could do, so I can't say I blame them for moving forward as if COH wouldn't be back. If these negotiations fall apart, I'm willing to bet that a lot of people will be glad that COT is still being developed. A lot of people will probably play both games also, in the event that COH is saved.

CoT is *not* a sure thing. Kickstarter has a history of successfully funded campaigns that never materialized (for one reason or another). And as stated elsewhere on this forum. the Kickstarter campaign was for CoT in Unreal Engine 3 - and then all of that work was scrapped post-successful fundraising. UE4 was not part of the plan and its just as much a big risk/potential to fail. See "State of the Game" updates where the team says they've had multiple setbacks getting the game off the ground in UE4. At this point its a dead heat between CoT versus CoH --- and I'd feel much better about both projects as separate, potentially successful opportunities if MWM wasn't holding all the cards.

Septipheran

« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:01 AM »
CoT is *not* a sure thing. Kickstarter has a history of successfully funded campaigns that never materialized (for one reason or another). And as stated elsewhere on this forum. the Kickstarter campaign was for CoT in Unreal Engine 3 - and then all of that work was scrapped post-successful fundraising. UE4 was not part of the plan and its just as much a big risk/potential to fail. See "State of the Game" updates where the team says they've had multiple setbacks getting the game off the ground in UE4.

I'm not going to sit here and argue with you since it seems like you're mostly being cynical. I will concede that "sure thing" might have been a poor choice in words, so feel free to re-read my post as "sure-er thing" and the point should still stand. Hope you enjoy the rest of your night.  :)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #269 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:58 AM »

Given the number of failed buyout attempts that were NOT publicized (but I believe the people involved had information about), putting everything on hold for a plan that had slim-to-none odds of success sounds like the worse choice to me.

They're still probably only low-to-moderate IMO, so I wouldn't start counting any chickens just yet.

Rubberlad

• Minion
« Reply #270 on: September 02, 2014, 01:59:18 AM »
Given the number of failed buyout attempts that were NOT publicized (but I believe the people involved had information about), putting everything on hold for a plan that had slim-to-none odds of success sounds like the worse choice to me.

They're still probably only low-to-moderate IMO, so I wouldn't start counting any chickens just yet.

Oh I'm not. I'm pleased that NCsoft is still willing to negotiate 2 years later. But that's about all.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2014, 02:03:03 AM »

themamboman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #272 on: September 02, 2014, 02:06:35 AM »
I hope it is safe to assume that holiday events and other special events (like Rikti invasions) would be returning.  As I understood at the time, they were settings on the server anyway.

kminamyer28

• Underling
« Reply #273 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:16 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to EVERYONE involved in this and the other efforts (CoT and Atlas Park Revival).  I was a big player for six years (main toon Mega Volt on Guardian).  I have tried the three subpar wanna-be's (DC Online, Marvel Heroes, and Champions) and none of them had the community, design, play ability, or even the customization options (Marvel only allows their heroes).

Again....Thanks for all the work everyone is doing.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2014, 02:07:52 AM »
I hope it is safe to assume that holiday events and other special events (like Rikti invasions) would be returning.  As I understood at the time, they were settings on the server anyway.

Yes, I think they were switches to turn on certain events based on the date.

SteveTheDwarf

• Minion
  • For the little people!
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2014, 02:08:47 AM »
Just wanted to pop in from lurking and say thank you to all involved in this process. I look forward to whatever future news may come, good or bad.
Steve the Dwarf 
Lvl 50 Invulnerablity / Energy Melee / Fire Mastery Tank
Pinnacle server

Pinnbadges will always be the greatest channel ever.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #276 on: September 02, 2014, 02:15:41 AM »
Old clunky game engine? Incompatibility with Win 9?

DOESN'T MATTER.

It's the IDEAS and the Intellectual Property that is the real heart and soul of City of Heroes - and if THAT part of the deal goes through as described, then that part of the game - the concepts - the background stories - the characters - the NPCS - the visual design...

THAT PART will have been put in the hands of people who actually CARE about it!

Eventually the game engine will HAVE to change, one way or another. But moving it to Unreal Engine - and allowing other games to be part of the City of Heroes story and reference it..

GOOD GOD... That's HUGE.

Do you know what this means? SERIOUSLY? Have you thought it out to the extreme?

I just have. And it boggles my mind.

Imagine not one or two - but perhaps a DOZEN games - all in the same overall universe story-wise.

IF... IF this is not just NCSoft yanking people around again. If they really allow the IP to go. Then game engines don't matter. CODE doesn't matter.

The Story and the World of City of Heroes can live on even if the original game engine is (or has to be) discarded.

City of Heroes?

Imagine WORLD OF HEROES as a FRANCHISE.

As someone who's previously dealt with licensing intellectual property from a parent company for an established fan base, I completely agree with Atlantea.

Having the City of Heroes IP at your disposal makes nearly everything else pale in comparison. (A workable game version's nice, too, though. :) )

Shard

• Lieutenant
    • City of Titans
« Reply #277 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:45 AM »
As long as they can keep the servers stable, honestly, it's almost indefinitely.

Not quite as simple as that.  The servers are even more environmentally.. challenged.
Missing Worlds Media - Lead Pain in the .. well everything.

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »
Issues with the game engine and source code and the like pale into insignificance compared to freeing the IP from NCSoft...

Imagine WORLD OF HEROES as a FRANCHISE.

Agreed. I would imagine that Team Hail Mary and those that are in the "know" have suspected this, and while I appreciate that everyone really just wants to play CoH again (lord knows I do), I think if they are able to get the IP that is a far, far, greater coup than just getting the game up and running.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, depending on how much CoT, Valiance, H&V, and who knows who else are willing to work together, this could be a really unprecedented opportunity to create something more than just a single game, but for all of us to be able to participate in (and perhaps create) stories set in the City of Heroes 'verse.

I think it could be a really amazingly wonderful thing if they are able to get this going and set up.

Xenos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2014, 02:18:50 AM »
As for OSX, I don't own a Mac but I do believe there's an Issue 23 version of the Mac Client floating around.

There is an I23 and an I24 client for the Mac OS, so technically there should not be a issue. If there is an obstacle it might be an licensing issue with Transgaming who created the Mac version. But it surely wouldn't hurt to ask about it during the negotiations.