Author Topic: And the mask comes off.  (Read 1712402 times)

Spellcaster Hana

• Minion
  • City of Heroes will always and forever be my home.
    • Hana's Deviantart
Re: And the mask comes off.
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2014, 01:08:10 AM »
Wow, thanks for the update.

There are some things about the proposal that I find confusing but it's weird that I'm feeling not hopeful at all but having more of mixed feelings about all this instead. Maybe being tied to NCSoft or having no concrete result of the negotiations is what's causing me to feel like this...

I'd rather hear some kind of good news that favors us but this is still news, in a limbo kind of way.

Anyway, you guys got farther than the past TFHM team. Great job having some progress!
"Sometimes, crossing the line is necessary in order to move forward."
"ALL HAIL EMPEROR COLE!!!" ( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
----------
My Deviantart: http://hanariblue.deviantart.com

Septipheran

« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
Jumping out of the woodwork to say thanks to everyone involved in making this happen. I'm cautiously optimistic like everyone else, but I did want to add my voice to the chorus of people willing to contribute to a Kickstarter or whatever fundraising means might be used to help get the ball rolling once (if) it gets to that point.

-Whispers back to Surelle- Pssssssst, IDK who works on SCoRE! and I think what SCoRE and I are doing are kinda on different paths. But, I don't think they should give up either! (If SCoRE does exist, and one of the people who may or may not be working on it feel like getting in touch with me...)

-ducks-

Come on, it's probably Codewalker.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
I'm totally ok with this, but my question based on that is.... Does that mean when Win 9 is released, the maintenance mode CoH is effectively shut down? Or, does it mean that the maintenance mode will run in perpetuity and Win 9 users simply won't be able to play the game? (I say this because I don't plan on upgrading to Win 9....also, some of us play CoH on OS X)...

Since I'm not on the team that would be running CoH's maint. mode, I can't make promises on their behalf. But... I'm pretty sure the i23 server will run in perpetuity. The server is completely separate from any Operating System concerns.
CoH will run on anything that it currently runs on. It's the same client you've all got now. As to if it'll run well on Windows 9, I can't say until I've got a copy of Windows 9 I could test on.
As for OSX, I don't own a Mac but I do believe there's an Issue 23 version of the Mac Client floating around.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Viridian Surge

• Underling
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »
Thanks Tony V and the rest of the Titan Network for keeping this website and forums going. Thanks to the original TFHM folks for making the original post shutdown effort on our behalf. Tony, your level-headedness has help keep us public-spirited people focused on hope and civility.

Thanks Ironwolf for helping get this most recent effort rolling and for your keeping us posted on developments towards getting City of Heroes rebooted.

Thanks Downix for yours and the Hail Mary team for all your gallant efforts to help bring us back City of Heroes in maintenance mode with a look to the future of City of Heroes and it's successors.  :)

Oskmey

• Minion
  • Listening to the roar of the Infinite
    • My DevArt Page
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2014, 01:14:34 AM »
Just wanted to throw my thanks in there too. I had always hoped to see the City again. If we have to start our characters over, I am good with that. There are only two things that I would definitely want: my original in game name (which is my forum name here) and to know when to throw money behind the project.

Thank you again and good luck on the next steps.
"I kept running, kept hoping for a change
kept moving the pieces kept shifting the blame
he said my time now runs short let's play
just keep breathing baby one more day"
--Episode 6 Many Happy Returns by Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2014, 01:16:56 AM »
Im not concerned about how long Windows 7 will be around.. I am more concerned whether once again it will just END and we will all be in the lurch again..

I can't imagine a scenario where this happens. Too many people who are involved in process are too emotionally invested in it.

I'll say right not, I would fight tooth and nail and then some before I let that happen again. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Rubberlad

• Minion
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »
...and then we'll have to raise some money for servers to get her open. Again, this is just my best guess. CoT money is for CoT, we'd need new cash for this. Maybe a bank loan.

Anyone else, I'd not hesitate. Missing Worlds Media... I'd say use whatever's left of the $600k that was put up for CoT (cause if given the choice, I think more folks would get behind CoH as the tried and true game they knew versus CoT, the still in the planning stages successor that no one has seen yet -- but I'm sure there's a fierce vocal minority that'd disagree).

Then again if you're already talking fundraising to finance new servers, then where's the money coming from to support the "doable" magic number that's been thrown out and potentially ok'ed by NCsoft? Do you guys have it or you're waiting to crowdfund that too once NCsoft agrees to a deal?

No offense but having all these eggs in MWM's basket is really making me nervous.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2014, 01:18:55 AM »
Since I'm not on the team that would be running CoH's maint. mode, I can't make promises on their behalf. But... I'm pretty sure the i23 server will run in perpetuity. The server is completely separate from any Operating System concerns.
^^This^^  at least let's hope so as far as maintenance mode is concerned...perpetuity is our friend ;D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:25 AM »
Pretty sure that Codewalker has stated precisely what the differences are between the SCoRE team, should they actually exist, and their efforts, that may or may not actually be happening, and what the good folks at Team Hail Mary (or is it Atlas Park Revival, and can downix throw a headcount of Titan members who are on that team into his OP so we know who here is actually on the team and who just sounds really, really smart?) are doing. He and/or Blondeshell or Agge could probably even throw up links to threads where he's done exactly that, but things are moving so fast, here, let's not worry about that ATM.

And, while there may or may not be individuals within the ranks of the Titan Community who are more knowledgeable than many, if not all, the former official devs, the "S" in SCoRE stands for "secret." If there is anything that the last few days has shown about this community, it's that, when there is a secret that really needs to be kept, the folks who actually have it will do a pretty damned good job of keeping it, even if they can't help from letting people know that they have it. (If any of that made sense...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Septipheran

« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20:33 AM »
Anyone else, I'd not hesitate. Missing Worlds Media... I'd say use whatever's left of the $600k that was put up for CoT (cause if given the choice, I think more folks would get behind CoH as the tried and true game they knew versus CoT, the still in the planning stages successor that no one has seen yet.

Then again if you're already talking fundraising to finance new servers, then where's the money coming from to support the magic number that's been thrown out and potentially ok'ed by NCsoft? Do you guys have it or you're waiting to crowdfund that too once NCsoft agrees to a deal?

Don't you think it'd be a bit on the unethical side to use the funds that people gave for a certain project (COT) for something entirely different (COH revival?) I tend to personally agree with you, but I can't see how re-purposing the funds would work practically.

lapucelle

• Minion
  • Warcabbit - Project Lead - CoT
    • City of Titans
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:27 AM »
Yep, as I said, CoT money needs to stay with CoT. This would need to be clean money.

kaliuwaa

• Underling
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2014, 01:22:17 AM »
Sincere "Mahalo" from this fanchick! 

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2014, 01:22:46 AM »
CoH will run on anything that it currently runs on. It's the same client you've all got now. As to if it'll run well on Windows 9, I can't say until I've got a copy of Windows 9 I could test on.
As for OSX, I don't own a Mac but I do believe there's an Issue 23 version of the Mac Client floating around.
if I understand, cox maint. will be i23, so will cox 1.5 have i24?
again I want to say thank you to Missing Worlds and everyone involved in this, also will there be a kick starter before cox maint. goes online?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #254 on: September 02, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
Don't you think it'd be a bit on the unethical side to use the funds that people gave for a certain project (COT) for something entirely different (COH revival?) I tend to personally agree with you, but I can't see how re-purposing the funds would work practically.

I don't believe they would do that. From everything I've heard, the intention is to keep Missing Worlds Media and the licensing group completely separate.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Septipheran

« Reply #255 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
I don't believe they would do that. From everything I've heard, the intention is to keep Missing Worlds Media and the licensing group completely separate.

That's what I figured, not to mention the fact that a lot of people have been working pretty hard on that game. While some people might not be interested in it, it would be a shame to see it all go to waste.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how exactly these negotiations are being bankrolled? I'm assuming that one of NCSoft's first questions was "can you afford to buy this game?" Obviously MMO's are expensive... I'm assuming that either a.) Nate and co. have some pretty beefy resources independent from the MWM/COT fund (in which case I'm a little  curious as to why said funds were raised in the first place, but I digress) or b.) MWM's propensity for raising a boat load of money was enough of a sign of financial prowess for NCSoft to continue negotiations under good faith (but that seems a bit too good to be true.)

epic

• Underling
« Reply #256 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27:40 AM »
Thanks a bunch. Cant wait to get back to RV.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #257 on: September 02, 2014, 01:30:03 AM »
I may have missed this when I read through the thread but I have 3 questions.

1. Why is the source code off the table? Is it;

a) NCsoft don't have it

or

b) NCsoft don't want to part with it

2. Why are the existing user database and characters not part of this arrangement? Wouldn't it be good business practice to try and get as many ex-players back as they can. The prospect of players being able to recover beloved characters and SG bases etc would be a very powerful draw. There must be some way to invite players back.

3. Was any thought given to finishing and using i24?

CreVo

• Minion
« Reply #258 on: September 02, 2014, 01:33:48 AM »
Everyone in this thread needs to understand Issue 24 was -very- far along but it was not done. Animations, effects, balancing, and probably a lot more we don't even know about weren't finished. It would require future active development and input from the old developers. The latter part probably being the easiest to accomplish due to how involved they are with the community even still. Would be nice to have though ;[

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #259 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:18 AM »

Wow, you came out of hiding, Bro! :D
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer