Author Topic: Something You Wish They Added  (Read 24447 times)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
Re: Something You Wish They Added
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »

Kind of like this? The War Walls are still there, but it's all one large seemless world. (Click the spoiler tag for Image)
Spoiler for Hidden:

I like that. I feel like CoH would be missing something without the war walls. But if the bridges and overpasses that have signs saying where you're headed actually, you know, went that way, that would be really cool. "Steel Canyon this way? Why, I'll just run through this tunnel"
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
You can vaguely see that in that picture. Each zone's connected by the roads that actually go there.
And yeah, It wouldn't be Paragon City without the Walls. I think they're just such an entrenched part of the lore, and feel of the city.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
So true. If they weren't there, I would keep thinking that the Rikti were about to attack.

I remember when I was first playing the game, and I had to leave Atlas Park the first time. I needed to go to Galaxy City and I had not yet learned about the Tram system. I decided the best thing to do was fly toward that glowing wall of light in the distance. The War Walls prevented me from accidentally leaving the game.

After that I learned about "zones" and tram systems.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
CoH was my first MMO and so the whole seamless thing isn't a thing I know/miss. I always considered zoning to another zone... me travelling from point A to point B... it takes a few seconds hehe. The first zone (aside from Atlas) for me was The Hollows... I am not gonna lie... I got nervous when I entered and there were police shooting ...all I could think was:

I am going to die!
(And I did a lot)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
CoH was my first MMO and so the whole seamless thing isn't a thing I know/miss. I always considered zoning to another zone... me travelling from point A to point B... it takes a few seconds hehe. The first zone (aside from Atlas) for me was The Hollows... I am not gonna lie... I got nervous when I entered and there were police shooting ...all I could think was:

I am going to die!
(And I did a lot)

I know that feeling. I got used to A.P. and it was so safe compared to the other zones. Then you step into the Hollows and are literally thrown right into the fray! I think the first thing you see is Trolls and Outcasts fighting on the opposite side of a police barricade.

Lava-Lad

• Minion
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2014, 01:35:26 PM »
'Serverless' play.  All players on one server with invisible globals to differentiate characters with the same name would have made teaming and leaguing super easy.
This and global invites (inviting others by their global names, regardless of what toon they are on).

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
Timestreams.

WHAT?  Yes, timestreams. Every game eventually encounters a storyline evolution that affects the world (Matrix Online did it almost monthly, some games like Everquest released retro servers that started the world over) as did City of Heroes.  Consider some major impacts to zones and storylines:

Timestream 1 - Launch day/Conclusion of First Rikti Invasion/Rebuilding (issue 0 - Issue 7)
Timestream 1.5 - Faultline Dam rupture (Faultline renovated) (Issue 8-9) [minor change, technically players below 14 couldn't get in]
Timestream 2 - Rikti Second Invasion (crashsite transformed into warzone) (Issue 10 - 17)
Timestream 3 - Praetorians fully introduced (players can start as praetorians with release of going rogue, praetorian players encounter primal npcs) (Issue 18 - Issue 20)
Timestream 4 - the coming storm (Galaxy city destroyed, can only visit as an Echo, major characters moved to other zones, e.g. BSB, knowledge of praetoria reflected in certain missions) (Issue 18-21.5)
Timestream 5 = The death of statesman (Statesman retconned out of most storylines, including his TF) (SSA #1.5 - SSA #2)
Timestream 5.5 - Dark Astoria revamp (Mot has been freed! Can visit an Echo of Dark Astoria) (Issue 22)

City of Heroes already incorporated time travel to visit different times (such as Cimerora) as well as Dimensional Travel to visit different places (such as the Shadow Shard), but if your character started after one of those really significant timestream events, then your character was never necessarily privy to those prior experiences.  With the implementation of phasing technologies in conjunction with the Ouroboros storyline, it would have been fantastic (imho) to be able to switch between major timestreams.

Implementation Concept Part 1:
Consider this -- you roll a new toon and choose Hero, Villain or Praetorian, then a timestream.
* You choose Praetorian and then have the option to begin in your earliest timestream (Timestream 3) or have the option to start in a later timestream (discretely covered with a spoiler warning or an ambiguous title so as not to possibly ruin the experience for a new player).
* You choose Hero and have then have the option to start in any of the time streams.

Implementation Concept part 2:
You officially transition through timestreams when you complete select mission storylines or reach certain levels.  E.g., you could enter old fautline up through level 14, but level 15 would trigger the transition to timestream 1.5.

Implementation Concept part 3:
Just like with mission doors, party members synchronize to a timestream appropriate to the mission assigned by the team leader for the duration of the mission/involvement with team.  If a trigger mission occurs, player could be warned and prompted if they want to transition to new timestream.

Implementation Concept part 4:
Although you could travel through time using the crystal of ice and flame, you could re-attune to an older timestream using it as well.

@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2014, 06:57:28 AM »
It would be nice if they added a junk dealer where one could acquire salvage at reasonable prices.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2014, 03:45:13 AM »
It would be nice if they added a junk dealer where one could acquire salvage at reasonable prices.

CoH crafting would have become even more of a joke if you could do that.  Not that I don't love the game but it's "crafting" system was already incredibly easy to master.  Having 100% of the mats you need being able to be sold to you would make it completely useless.  Then it would just be a matter of them making you spend the 2 minutes it takes to craft everything for the sake of wasting 2 minutes of your time. Why not just sell the sets or IO's at that point.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2014, 04:19:34 AM »
Gameplay tweaks besides making hit point bars go away.

Would have been impossible with the game engine (or content vs manpower vs time) I'm sure but catching semis, putting out fires with water (only toyed with in mercy and steel canyon really), making bridges with ice powers, using mind control to win a mission before it starts by reading the mind of the boss as you enter the door, etc.

Example: you walk through a mission door and are prompted with that moral choice menu you faced for alignments in going rogue but here it's based on your powers. A. Your mind abilities tell you this is a trap! You can skip this mission for a fraction of the reward and move on or B. fight your way through.

Also, story-themed pvp. Enter a zone where a set crime wave is happening. Player heroes on one side responding to threats and crimes while player villians could outmuscle npc villians ( taking over their schemes) or wait, let the players get preoccupied and do one of a number of other dastardly things while the good guys were distracted. Only way this works is if it's a zone the size of skyway and heroes can only be alerted if the villians trip alarms or openly show off their powers.

Npcs or open-world glowies could drop clues to things you could do. To make matters more interesting, Everyone cons friendly until the clues are found and they act on them.

Tricky part is creating the choices from a random set of 6 to 8 tasks so heroes couldn't just camp one popular spot.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:29:59 AM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2014, 04:38:23 AM »
Maybe in CoH2... but it has been said numerous times when CoH comes back it will be in maintenance mode at Issue 24.

I thought it was a damaged image of issue 23 and issue 24 was off the table due to headaches of approving unfinished work (even if it felt 95 percent done).
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
Hardmode versions of every TF.  So you can do them all at 50 if you wanted.  Or possibly even 50(+1)

This.  More incarnate options.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »

So basically the exact same thing you said on 8/13/2014 in this thread..... :roll:

I stand by my previous statements... if you are buying salvage at a high price... don't. Impatience etc is why you pay higher prices...The game already offers a MULTITUDE of ways to get salvage cheaply...if you are too unwilling to seek other ways aside from paying the highest price at the auction house... that's on you.

Young Tutor

• Minion
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
So basically the exact same thing you said on 8/13/2014 in this thread..... :roll:

I stand by my previous statements... if you are buying salvage at a high price... don't. Impatience etc is why you pay higher prices...The game already offers a MULTITUDE of ways to get salvage cheaply...if you are too unwilling to seek other ways aside from paying the highest price at the auction house... that's on you.

Agreed. It was *trivial* to get salvage via AE tickets. I do think it would be acceptable to have a similar junk salvage *contact* who would reward you with random salvage in return for missions/story arcs to appease people who didn't like the AE.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I heard they were creating a couple of new areas, a moonbase, and a co-op area. I wish they had been able to finish those.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Kruhl Sentru

• Underling
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I had a few things I was hoping for that never got in the game:

1) Optional Knockback.  They made the run speed part of Speed Boost optional, so why not give us an option to turn knockback into simple knockdown?  Sure, any enemy with one full point of knockback resistance would ignore your knockdown attempts, but then I could play any of the numerous knockback-heavy powersets and not have quite so much trouble with all the scatter it causes teammates.

2) The next issue.  They had some pretty sweet new powersets, not to mention upgrades to the old power pool powers, all in the works.  I doubt that'll happen now, though.  *shrug*

3)  Challenge/Threat fixes for Scrappers.  This one is a bit more out there, but here's the thing: Scrappers are DPS, not tertiary tanks.  If you want a primary tank, you get a Tanker.  If you want a secondary tank with some nice DPS, get a Brute.  Why, then, did Scrappers have a 50% increase in threat generation built into the characters?  The Real Numbers stuff revealed that strange phenomenon, and I suspect it was a holdout from before defensive sets got nerfed so bad in the early issues.  At the very least, it didn't really fit once anyone could play any archetype on any side (sans epic ATs).  Usually it's not a big issue, although I never could meet a tanker who could hold aggro off of my titan weapon/electric armor scrapper later on.  Challenge, though, was pretty rarely used.  I'm sure someone somewhere used it, but honestly, it's just faster to kill someone who's aggro'd on your support-based pals than to taunt them.  It did make for a nice excuse to skip a power though lol.

4)  Archvillain fixes.  Before end-game was all about incarnate trials, the wacky rules of Archvillains, Heroes, Monsters, and Giant Monsters weren't really that bad.  I mean, at least there were plenty of other enemies to fight, and even giant monsters weren't that bad.  Specifically, I'm talking about both the insane immunity to control powers (I really feel for you controllers and dominators), and the 90% resistance to debuffs thing.  I understand it, but it also applied to certain buffs.  For example, a defense-capped scrapper ran at 45% defense, which mathematically translated into taking 90% less hits.  Since having defense counts as debuffing the enemy's accuracy, archvillains ignored 90% of your defense (not resistance).  This meant that your vaunted 90% mitigation is now a measly 9% mitigation.  The total incoming dps would thus be raised from 10% to 81%, a total boost of 710% more damage.  Ouch?  Surely there's a better method out there somewhere.  Too late now, I guess.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »
Specifically, I'm talking about both the insane immunity to control powers (I really feel for you controllers and dominators), and the 90% resistance to debuffs thing.  I understand it, but it also applied to certain buffs.  For example, a defense-capped scrapper ran at 45% defense, which mathematically translated into taking 90% less hits.  Since having defense counts as debuffing the enemy's accuracy, archvillains ignored 90% of your defense (not resistance).  This meant that your vaunted 90% mitigation is now a measly 9% mitigation.  The total incoming dps would thus be raised from 10% to 81%, a total boost of 710% more damage.  Ouch?  Surely there's a better method out there somewhere.  Too late now, I guess.

Controllers and many Dominators are very good at soloing AVs even with the Control and Debuff resists that AVs have. I wouldn't cry for them.

As for defenses, they are NOT debuffs, and thus are not resisted by AVs. If you have a 45% defense against a normal mob, you have it against an AV also. SR Scrappers were one of the more common AV-soloing Scrapper secondaries out there.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
1) Optional Knockback.  They made the run speed part of Speed Boost optional, so why not give us an option to turn knockback into simple knockdown?  Sure, any enemy with one full point of knockback resistance would ignore your knockdown attempts, but then I could play any of the numerous knockback-heavy powersets and not have quite so much trouble with all the scatter it causes teammates.

Yeah...I always wanted an Enhancement or something that had the side effect of making KB powers KD, and vice versa.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
I don't know if this has been said yet or not but.....offline mode :(

Other then that, I wished they would of fixed some of the MM pet's AI.

Given MMs kinetics ( I know, I know but still :P)

Let MMs customize their pets but not completely change them. Like Zombies would stay Zombies just with different costume pieces, ect...

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2014, 07:49:55 AM »

When I stated that it was believed it would be Issue 24, but has since been clarified that it will be Issue 23...the exact same Issue 23 that we were playing when the game shut down. It is not a "damaged" image of Issue 23...but rather the image taken the day of shutdown; which was not "damaged" and quite playable :)

I thought it was a damaged image of issue 23 and issue 24 was off the table due to headaches of approving unfinished work (even if it felt 95 percent done).