Author Topic: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.  (Read 11391 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:30 AM »
I had a robots/arrows MM that I had to drag to 50, kicking and screaming.
That was one of my problems, I wouldn't reroll.  Anybody else like that?

Apex Viper

• Minion
Re: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:15 AM »
Every new toon I made I played to 20 before deciding if they were gonna stay or not. Here's my top 5 power sets that I hated for one reason or another.

1. Nature Affinity. (Really? The healing powers of fungus?)
2. Titian Weapons. (Too slow.)
3. Kinetic Melee. (Too slow.)
4. Trick Arrow. (I just didn't like it.)
5. Water Blast. (I think this one was due to the fact that EVERYONE made one when this went live.)
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »
I didn't really have a passion for Archery. I thought it was absurdly boring to play until you got Rain of Arrows, and even then it felt like it should be more of a Defender powerset rather than a Blaster because I felt like RoA was the only power that actually had a good damage output.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
I didn't really have a passion for Archery. I thought it was absurdly boring to play until you got Rain of Arrows, and even then it felt like it should be more of a Defender powerset rather than a Blaster because I felt like RoA was the only power that actually had a good damage output.

I thought Trick Arrow with it's entanglements, smoke, and glue should have been with control.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »
yeah. Does Glue Arrow not work with Oil Slick Arrow? Because if you have the Assault Bot with it's Fire AoE and burn the Oil and get Glue down your foes are dead

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:30 AM »
Your guess is as good as mine. I only made it to level 10 with it before I trashed it.

Solinarius

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »

Archery had very nice DPS actually, which went through the roof once you got RoA. The best thing about it, however, was the range of all the attacks. The 3 single-target attacks out-ranged all the other powersets and if memory serves, they all had the same max distance. Archery had what every other blaster powerset should have had, a practical ultimate. In my book, poor ultimates is reason #3 for why blasters were usually the black-sheep in teams, and were poor in general.

My list:
1. Manipulation (Blaster secondaries) - "Gee, let's make powersets that do not synergize with the ranged theme of the Blaster, or that simply suck all kinds of War Mace."
2. Energy Blast - Players that didn't know how to use this properly made me despise it eventually. Then there's the fact that even if you did know how to use the powerset properly, too many powers were situational (due to scatter), and/or ineffective (low damage).
3. Stone Armor - I never liked the implementation.
4. Broadsword - The animations were just so ugly and ridiculous, especially when compared to Katana.
5. Dark Melee - I wanted to like this set, but I hated Shadow Maul so much that I refused to take it, and that debunked the whole thing because there's no AoE alternative. Unacceptable!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Radiation Emission, which always seemed like a muddle of random buffs and debuffs with no consistent theme, and two powers that could be utterly fubared by your group killing the wrong thing at the wrong time. (HINT: Your group always killed the wrong thing at the wrong time.)

Radiation Blast, which didn't hit very hard and didn't provide a great debuff.

I played a rad/rad defender to 50, and I hated every second of it. Only sheer bloody-minded stubbornness kept me at it, and I still only hit 50 in the three months before shutdown.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
Every new toon I made I played to 20 before deciding if they were gonna stay or not. Here's my top 5 power sets that I hated for one reason or another.

1. Nature Affinity. (Really? The healing powers of fungus?)
2. Titian Weapons. (Too slow.)
3. Kinetic Melee. (Too slow.)
4. Trick Arrow. (I just didn't like it.)
5. Water Blast. (I think this one was due to the fact that EVERYONE made one when this went live.)

1. I agree with Nature Affinity, could not get into it.
2. I freaking loved Titan weapons.  It was slow but had a nice SMASH factor to it.
3. Kinetic Melee was slow but lacked the smash, therefore boring IMO
4. The thing with Trick Arrow was that it was totally eclipsed by every other set.
5. Water Blast lacked an umph.  It made me feel like I was hitting people with super soakers.

My Own:

1. Dual Pistols - Lacked an umph that made it feel like you were doing damage.
2. Invulnerability - Every toon I made always had endurance issues.
3. Ice Melee - I wanted to like this, couldnt.
4. Demon/Beast Summoning - Seemed way to overdone and not natural to the game.
5. Shield Defense - Same problem as Invuln, seems like I always sucked endurance.  Also, seeing how you couldnt take it with say DB there were less options.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
For me, it would be fire/kin and earth kin controllers. For some odd reason these powers just didn't match my play style.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
In no particular order: My own opinions*

Mastermind: Ninjas - Talk about dealing with kids on sugar high and some red one who casts rain of scatter to make things lol.
Various ATs: Trick Arrow - It wasn't a bad set if you can stack several -res and have lots of maneuvers to help with the lack of buffs. Animation times were too long and other sets offer better buffage.
Mind Control (Con/Dom) - No pet - nuff said.
Gravity Control (Con/Dom) - While I liked Singularities, nothing else was very good. Propel took waaaay to long to animate, and crushing field has no -KB in it. D-shift was a total waste of a power and wormhole scattered mobs.
lol stalkers: It took a long time for devs to finally make them worth playing. I was a most happy player when they finally buffed them to playability in Issue 22.
Peacebringer: Too much KB but overwhelming force made things better. Devs didn't do enough to bring them closer to parity to Warshades.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
I'd say my least favorite powerset combo I stuck with to 50 was my dark/dark defender. While he had powerful -acc debuffs and nice crowd control, he had almost no offensive power and once the debuffs/CC were in place didn't have much to do until the team finished killing the current group. TBH I'm kinda' surprised I got him to 50, though as I recall he was a toon I generally took out only during double xp weekends.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
 Hated.. not too many..

Sonic Resonance sits at the top of the hate bar..

Dark and most of the Dark Powers in general.. NOT because I hated dark.. I hated the fact that there were animations that had those stupid skulls.. I wanted to play themes like Anti Matter or Dark Energy that had NOTHING to do with skulls or the Netherworld and couldnt because I never got that option..

Thermal Radiation.. Lets make you a Empath but not quite.. oh and lets give you debuffs that you can barely see..

Mercs.. because they should have been better..

Force Field.. because it was just BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING..

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
My Own:

1. Dual Pistols - Lacked an umph that made it feel like you were doing damage.
2. Invulnerability - Every toon I made always had endurance issues.
3. Ice Melee - I wanted to like this, couldnt.
4. Demon/Beast Summoning - Seemed way to overdone and not natural to the game.
5. Shield Defense - Same problem as Invuln, seems like I always sucked endurance.  Also, seeing how you couldnt take it with say DB there were less options.

1. I will total agree with Dual Pistols. I tried it once and made it to 23 or 24.
2. and 5. I had 2 main characters with these powers. I personally never had an issue with either being endurance heavy. Could have been how I had them slotted.
3. Ice in any of its form never grabbed me.
4. Here's the thing about me and multi-pets. Keep them out of my way. Nothing like a bunch of demons behinds filling your screen.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »

lol stalkers: It took a long time for devs to finally make them worth playing. I was a most happy player when they finally buffed them to playability in Issue 22.

I wasn't that big on terms what did lol stalkers mean? Or were you laughing at stalkers?

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
For me, it would be fire/kin and earth kin controllers. For some odd reason these powers just didn't match my play style.

I had a level 50 earth/kin/stone...getting it to 50 was hard, but once I got it slotted Battle Maiden farms (+2x8) were a breeze. I never tried a fire/kin, they were too over played.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:58:11 AM by Apex Viper »

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:52 AM »
Assault Rifle- tried it multiple times, was never able to like it and stick with it.

Darkness- the Dark powers in general just never did anything for me.  Dark Defs, Dark trollers, Dark blasters.. none of it clicked with me

Demon Summoning- f*ck Demon Summoning with a rusty chainsaw.  The single most despised thing I ever came across in this game.  Hated the animation.  Hated the way the damn things were always in the way.  Hated the sound effects, like an asthmatic wildebeest huffing nitrous and humping a drunk alleycat.  I'd flat out drop if they put a Demon MM on the team.  Could not stand it.

Fire- Same thing as Darkness.  Had some awesome effects, but the Fire powers just never clicked with my playstyle.

Nature Affinity- *facepalm*

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:32 AM »
I wasn't that big on terms what did lol stalkers mean? Or were you laughing at stalkers?

it was an often mentioned term on the CoH forums because of how bad Stalkers were compared to their hero counterpart aka Scrappers or their fellow villain Brutes. Folks running the recluse TF would give spot 8 as the "pity" spot for Stalkers. I had one level 50 stalker and I probably would have had 2 if the game wasn't shutdown. I was happily leveling up at Staff/EA one after issue 23. So often I would see on local or chat channels lolstalkers and some folks playing one would claim to have difficulty getting teams.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
Demon Summoning- f*ck Demon Summoning with a rusty chainsaw.  The single most despised thing I ever came across in this game.  Hated the animation.  Hated the way the damn things were always in the way.  Hated the sound effects, like an asthmatic wildebeest huffing nitrous and humping a drunk alleycat.  I'd flat out drop if they put a Demon MM on the team.  Could not stand it.

Kinda agree with Demon summoning, not only were those things loud, but they were huge. Hard to see over them.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
Mine:

- Claws: I can't stand it, no matter how effective it is, the gameplay is boring, the cone KB makes no sense, I love melee chars but can't stand Claws.-

- Sonic: Dull, again, maybe numerically is awesome, but dull.-

- Force Field: Too "buff bot" for my taste.-

- Broad Sword: Doesn't really feel super heroic, conceptually reminds me too much of WoW and its clones, at least Axe and Mace have KD and fun stuff.-

- Willpower: Booooooooooooooooring to play except maybe with Spines, still, boring set to play.-

- Energy Melee: Really lackluster powerset, specially after the Total Focus nerf, too single target focused for almost nothing worth in return. At least Dark Melee has many utilities and the best Build Up type power ingame but Energy Melee? no thanks, the only upside for not having our chars back when CoH relaunches would be to rmake my Inv/Nrg Tank into something fun to play such as Inv/Stone.-