Author Topic: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.  (Read 11400 times)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.
« on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:30 AM »
I had a robots/arrows MM that I had to drag to 50, kicking and screaming.
That was one of my problems, I wouldn't reroll.  Anybody else like that?

Apex Viper

• Minion
Re: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:15 AM »
Every new toon I made I played to 20 before deciding if they were gonna stay or not. Here's my top 5 power sets that I hated for one reason or another.

1. Nature Affinity. (Really? The healing powers of fungus?)
2. Titian Weapons. (Too slow.)
3. Kinetic Melee. (Too slow.)
4. Trick Arrow. (I just didn't like it.)
5. Water Blast. (I think this one was due to the fact that EVERYONE made one when this went live.)
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »
I didn't really have a passion for Archery. I thought it was absurdly boring to play until you got Rain of Arrows, and even then it felt like it should be more of a Defender powerset rather than a Blaster because I felt like RoA was the only power that actually had a good damage output.

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
I didn't really have a passion for Archery. I thought it was absurdly boring to play until you got Rain of Arrows, and even then it felt like it should be more of a Defender powerset rather than a Blaster because I felt like RoA was the only power that actually had a good damage output.

I thought Trick Arrow with it's entanglements, smoke, and glue should have been with control.
In the end, we all are heroes, even the Villains; fighting to save a city that we all love.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:02:56 AM »
yeah. Does Glue Arrow not work with Oil Slick Arrow? Because if you have the Assault Bot with it's Fire AoE and burn the Oil and get Glue down your foes are dead

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:07:30 AM »
Your guess is as good as mine. I only made it to level 10 with it before I trashed it.

Solinarius

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »

Archery had very nice DPS actually, which went through the roof once you got RoA. The best thing about it, however, was the range of all the attacks. The 3 single-target attacks out-ranged all the other powersets and if memory serves, they all had the same max distance. Archery had what every other blaster powerset should have had, a practical ultimate. In my book, poor ultimates is reason #3 for why blasters were usually the black-sheep in teams, and were poor in general.

My list:
1. Manipulation (Blaster secondaries) - "Gee, let's make powersets that do not synergize with the ranged theme of the Blaster, or that simply suck all kinds of War Mace."
2. Energy Blast - Players that didn't know how to use this properly made me despise it eventually. Then there's the fact that even if you did know how to use the powerset properly, too many powers were situational (due to scatter), and/or ineffective (low damage).
3. Stone Armor - I never liked the implementation.
4. Broadsword - The animations were just so ugly and ridiculous, especially when compared to Katana.
5. Dark Melee - I wanted to like this set, but I hated Shadow Maul so much that I refused to take it, and that debunked the whole thing because there's no AoE alternative. Unacceptable!

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
Radiation Emission, which always seemed like a muddle of random buffs and debuffs with no consistent theme, and two powers that could be utterly fubared by your group killing the wrong thing at the wrong time. (HINT: Your group always killed the wrong thing at the wrong time.)

Radiation Blast, which didn't hit very hard and didn't provide a great debuff.

I played a rad/rad defender to 50, and I hated every second of it. Only sheer bloody-minded stubbornness kept me at it, and I still only hit 50 in the three months before shutdown.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
Every new toon I made I played to 20 before deciding if they were gonna stay or not. Here's my top 5 power sets that I hated for one reason or another.

1. Nature Affinity. (Really? The healing powers of fungus?)
2. Titian Weapons. (Too slow.)
3. Kinetic Melee. (Too slow.)
4. Trick Arrow. (I just didn't like it.)
5. Water Blast. (I think this one was due to the fact that EVERYONE made one when this went live.)

1. I agree with Nature Affinity, could not get into it.
2. I freaking loved Titan weapons.  It was slow but had a nice SMASH factor to it.
3. Kinetic Melee was slow but lacked the smash, therefore boring IMO
4. The thing with Trick Arrow was that it was totally eclipsed by every other set.
5. Water Blast lacked an umph.  It made me feel like I was hitting people with super soakers.

My Own:

1. Dual Pistols - Lacked an umph that made it feel like you were doing damage.
2. Invulnerability - Every toon I made always had endurance issues.
3. Ice Melee - I wanted to like this, couldnt.
4. Demon/Beast Summoning - Seemed way to overdone and not natural to the game.
5. Shield Defense - Same problem as Invuln, seems like I always sucked endurance.  Also, seeing how you couldnt take it with say DB there were less options.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
For me, it would be fire/kin and earth kin controllers. For some odd reason these powers just didn't match my play style.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
In no particular order: My own opinions*

Mastermind: Ninjas - Talk about dealing with kids on sugar high and some red one who casts rain of scatter to make things lol.
Various ATs: Trick Arrow - It wasn't a bad set if you can stack several -res and have lots of maneuvers to help with the lack of buffs. Animation times were too long and other sets offer better buffage.
Mind Control (Con/Dom) - No pet - nuff said.
Gravity Control (Con/Dom) - While I liked Singularities, nothing else was very good. Propel took waaaay to long to animate, and crushing field has no -KB in it. D-shift was a total waste of a power and wormhole scattered mobs.
lol stalkers: It took a long time for devs to finally make them worth playing. I was a most happy player when they finally buffed them to playability in Issue 22.
Peacebringer: Too much KB but overwhelming force made things better. Devs didn't do enough to bring them closer to parity to Warshades.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
I'd say my least favorite powerset combo I stuck with to 50 was my dark/dark defender. While he had powerful -acc debuffs and nice crowd control, he had almost no offensive power and once the debuffs/CC were in place didn't have much to do until the team finished killing the current group. TBH I'm kinda' surprised I got him to 50, though as I recall he was a toon I generally took out only during double xp weekends.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
 Hated.. not too many..

Sonic Resonance sits at the top of the hate bar..

Dark and most of the Dark Powers in general.. NOT because I hated dark.. I hated the fact that there were animations that had those stupid skulls.. I wanted to play themes like Anti Matter or Dark Energy that had NOTHING to do with skulls or the Netherworld and couldnt because I never got that option..

Thermal Radiation.. Lets make you a Empath but not quite.. oh and lets give you debuffs that you can barely see..

Mercs.. because they should have been better..

Force Field.. because it was just BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING..

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
My Own:

1. Dual Pistols - Lacked an umph that made it feel like you were doing damage.
2. Invulnerability - Every toon I made always had endurance issues.
3. Ice Melee - I wanted to like this, couldnt.
4. Demon/Beast Summoning - Seemed way to overdone and not natural to the game.
5. Shield Defense - Same problem as Invuln, seems like I always sucked endurance.  Also, seeing how you couldnt take it with say DB there were less options.

1. I will total agree with Dual Pistols. I tried it once and made it to 23 or 24.
2. and 5. I had 2 main characters with these powers. I personally never had an issue with either being endurance heavy. Could have been how I had them slotted.
3. Ice in any of its form never grabbed me.
4. Here's the thing about me and multi-pets. Keep them out of my way. Nothing like a bunch of demons behinds filling your screen.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »

lol stalkers: It took a long time for devs to finally make them worth playing. I was a most happy player when they finally buffed them to playability in Issue 22.

I wasn't that big on terms what did lol stalkers mean? Or were you laughing at stalkers?

Apex Viper

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
For me, it would be fire/kin and earth kin controllers. For some odd reason these powers just didn't match my play style.

I had a level 50 earth/kin/stone...getting it to 50 was hard, but once I got it slotted Battle Maiden farms (+2x8) were a breeze. I never tried a fire/kin, they were too over played.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:58:11 AM by Apex Viper »

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 12:50:52 AM »
Assault Rifle- tried it multiple times, was never able to like it and stick with it.

Darkness- the Dark powers in general just never did anything for me.  Dark Defs, Dark trollers, Dark blasters.. none of it clicked with me

Demon Summoning- f*ck Demon Summoning with a rusty chainsaw.  The single most despised thing I ever came across in this game.  Hated the animation.  Hated the way the damn things were always in the way.  Hated the sound effects, like an asthmatic wildebeest huffing nitrous and humping a drunk alleycat.  I'd flat out drop if they put a Demon MM on the team.  Could not stand it.

Fire- Same thing as Darkness.  Had some awesome effects, but the Fire powers just never clicked with my playstyle.

Nature Affinity- *facepalm*

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:32 AM »
I wasn't that big on terms what did lol stalkers mean? Or were you laughing at stalkers?

it was an often mentioned term on the CoH forums because of how bad Stalkers were compared to their hero counterpart aka Scrappers or their fellow villain Brutes. Folks running the recluse TF would give spot 8 as the "pity" spot for Stalkers. I had one level 50 stalker and I probably would have had 2 if the game wasn't shutdown. I was happily leveling up at Staff/EA one after issue 23. So often I would see on local or chat channels lolstalkers and some folks playing one would claim to have difficulty getting teams.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
Demon Summoning- f*ck Demon Summoning with a rusty chainsaw.  The single most despised thing I ever came across in this game.  Hated the animation.  Hated the way the damn things were always in the way.  Hated the sound effects, like an asthmatic wildebeest huffing nitrous and humping a drunk alleycat.  I'd flat out drop if they put a Demon MM on the team.  Could not stand it.

Kinda agree with Demon summoning, not only were those things loud, but they were huge. Hard to see over them.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
Mine:

- Claws: I can't stand it, no matter how effective it is, the gameplay is boring, the cone KB makes no sense, I love melee chars but can't stand Claws.-

- Sonic: Dull, again, maybe numerically is awesome, but dull.-

- Force Field: Too "buff bot" for my taste.-

- Broad Sword: Doesn't really feel super heroic, conceptually reminds me too much of WoW and its clones, at least Axe and Mace have KD and fun stuff.-

- Willpower: Booooooooooooooooring to play except maybe with Spines, still, boring set to play.-

- Energy Melee: Really lackluster powerset, specially after the Total Focus nerf, too single target focused for almost nothing worth in return. At least Dark Melee has many utilities and the best Build Up type power ingame but Energy Melee? no thanks, the only upside for not having our chars back when CoH relaunches would be to rmake my Inv/Nrg Tank into something fun to play such as Inv/Stone.-

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
Shield Defense.

I played it in Beta, and got level-bumped into the 40s. Although my character was a bit squishy, the fun of Shield Charging into a pack of enemies more than made up for it. When the set became live, I made Jerk Hacker, Tech Axe/Shield Brute, my Praetorian main and was planning to make him one of my main villains if he worked out.

He hacked his way through all the jerks in Praetoria with ease. This "hard" content isn't hard, for a Brute. Then, for some reason which I forget, I took him to Paragon City after Praetoria. In IP he learned all about cascading defense failure. After owning all the mobs in Neutropolis, it was a huge letdown to have to eat inspirations to survive 4 white Button Men, considered easy pickings by almost anyone else. I found that Weave stacked with Shield Defense, but it wasn't enough to make a difference. I lost interest before trying IOs, because I don't think a Brute should need IOs to steamroll easy mobs.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Kinetic Melee I wanted to like it so bad but the Jazz hand animations killed me arrg

Dual Pistols flashy but man I seen wet noodles do more damage (I tried the blaster version)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
Kinetic Melee I wanted to like it so bad but the Jazz hand animations killed me arrg

This x a GooglePlex.. I forgot about that power.. OMG i wanted to like it.. I got a toon to 41.. and deleted it.. just awful...

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
Stone Armor.

Got a character up high enough for Granite and retired him. It's the only power set I'm not using on one of my active roster characters.*

The -SPD (Rooted and Granite) stunk -- that running rock creature in GALAXY QUEST could really book, wasn't slow at all! -- and the three slots hogged by the pre-Granite armors was a waste, but the deal breaker was Granite Armor's automatic shape change. Not only was my character now half the height of his normal look (Huge body with height slider maxed) but ugly as well. Didn't match my design of the character at all.

Remove the -SPD from the set and put in a no-SFX power customization option for Granite, and I'd try it again.

*active in the pre-shutdown sense :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »
Controllers:
Dark -  (Tried it when it came out...did not like it).
Ice - Loved Ice Slick...and that was about it

Defenders:
Sonic - I tried many times to like this set, but it always disappointed me.
Nature - Looked ridiculous and had no desire to play it.

Melee:
Claws - Seemed weak and just didn't make sense to me; especially the ranged attack.
Titan Weapons - Seemed soooo slow

Blast:
Dual Pistols - Seemed so weak even on a blaster
Radiation - My least favorite blast set

Armor:
Any armor that made my status protection a click (Shield comes to mind)
Stone - Hey I look like everyone else!

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
I'm not sure why a good chunk of people are bashing on Dual Pistols it was probably my 2nd favorite set after Robotics.

It may have been me I don't know. I think I really liked the animations

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:42 AM »
Sonic buff was terribad.

Yeah, yeah.  I know it was great for the guys getting the shields, but for the caster it was terrible.  You never knew if your powers were actually working.  Your team still got hit.  They still took damage.  And there was nothing you could do about it other than imagine how much damage they would have taken if you weren't there.

The tier 9 power was the worst (liquefy).  I prayed they'd at least buff sonic siphon to where you'd gain resistance and target would lose it.

Oh, and the sound fx were the worst.

Most boring buff set ever.  At least FF had force bolt and cage to have fun with.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Please bear in mind that I don't wish to belittle anyone's opinions. My opinion probably reflects more on my own lack of insight or time invested than a reflection of the powerset.

But there is one powerset that just reeked with me at the controls. Kinetic Melee/will power.

I tell you the truth, my blasters had more durability than this guy. He was literally like a stick of soft butter in a very warm room against any opponent. He could not hold aggro, which was good, because he could barely handle more than 1 minion at or +1 to his level.

I mean, he really stank. Or I stank at playing and slotting him. I've played tanks, scrappers, brutes with good success, but this guy was just horrible.
In the latter days of CoH, I would read about how great other people thought their kinetic melee toons were, and I'd think, I've got to be missing something. Despite the lack of defense and the lack of resistance, what was really horrid to me were the animations and the sound effects. I fully realize that some players LOVE those effects and animations, but to me, they were cheesy, over the top and so silly I can't handle even thinking about it to this day. Yuck! <shiver>

After a lot of reading, I did learn that Willpower comes into it's own much later than other sets and that slotting is very important. I gave the guy what I though was a pretty good build, but really, numbers wise, it was garbage. I may try it again with a more learned, disciplined approach, but I think the playstyle required to do this build justice is just not for me.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
TA was my least favorite powerset. I never managed to level anything with TA to 50 and after trying a couple of times I gave up on the set all together.

Masterminds were my favorite AT and I had several of them, but I had no love for Ninjas.

I could never get in to Warshades. I tried several times, but I just like them that much.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
I'm not sure why a good chunk of people are bashing on Dual Pistols it was probably my 2nd favorite set after Robotics.

It may have been me I don't know. I think I really liked the animations

I didn't hate the set (per this thread's topic), but the gun-fu animations were annoying (and immersion-breaking) for those of us trying to create a Western or a '30s pulp avenger hero. For those tropes, a "just point the gun and shoot already" animation option would have be warmly welcomed. :)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
My first and only character for the first few years was a Dark Defender, So the bar could only get higher from that, I suppose.(I was like, 10 starting out, was my first MMO, gimme a break >_>)

The list is small, I've played plenty of sets that are great, but don't fit my niche (Poison, for example, is an amazing debuff set for single targets, but I usually soloed +1 x 8 with bosses.)

That being said, a few offenders just failed to redeem themselves in my eyes

Trick arrow (Slightly redeemable on a ninja/demon mastermind, Dat oil arrow.) . Energy Aura (As a hellion once told me as I was smashing his mates with a battleaxe "You're lame."). Regeneration (Stalker only, doesn't scale well. Though, it only worked well with fast powersets.)  , and (Pre i24) devices (With the buff, my AR/dev went from my least favorite char to among my most powerful.)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
Staff - I have done Bojitsu (staff fighting) or Polearm fighting in the SCA for 39 years now. It doesn't look anything like they did and I could not watch it.

Demons - noise boxes that won't get out of the way.

Stone armor - just ugly.

Devices - very boring.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
I liked staff fighting but didn't have any previous experience with staff fighting beyond martial arts movies.  I think I had an aquaman clone with a trident staff that I never got beyond level 20 with all my other alts I was playing.

I liked dual pistol as well.  It was a fun set, I think.  I can see how the gun-kata would be problematic for certain thematic characters though.  Would be nice if they had an alternate animation to choose from.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
Staff - I have done Bojitsu (staff fighting) or Polearm fighting in the SCA for 39 years now. It doesn't look anything like they did and I could not watch it.

Yeah, it was rather Breakdance 2 Electric Boogaloo. :)  -- when they announced the set I was expecting a bit more "Little John vs. Robin Hood on the bridge" quarterstaff fighting myself -- but I really quite liked the game mechanics of the set.

I also was hoping for a bit more Errol Flynn-Basil Rathbone rapier fencing from dual blades. :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Yeah, it was rather Breakdance 2 Electric Boogaloo. :)  -- when they announced the set I was expecting a bit more "Little John vs. Robin Hood on the bridge" quarterstaff fighting myself -- but I really quite liked the game mechanics of the set.

I also was hoping for a bit more Errol Flynn-Basil Rathbone rapier fencing from dual blades. :)
I was watching some youtube videos on staff fighting to me it looked like dynasty warriors.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Please bear in mind that I don't wish to belittle anyone's opinions. My opinion probably reflects more on my own lack of insight or time invested than a reflection of the powerset.

But there is one powerset that just reeked with me at the controls. Kinetic Melee/will power.

I tell you the truth, my blasters had more durability than this guy. He was literally like a stick of soft butter in a very warm room against any opponent. He could not hold aggro, which was good, because he could barely handle more than 1 minion at or +1 to his level.

I mean, he really stank. Or I stank at playing and slotting him. I've played tanks, scrappers, brutes with good success, but this guy was just horrible.
In the latter days of CoH, I would read about how great other people thought their kinetic melee toons were, and I'd think, I've got to be missing something. Despite the lack of defense and the lack of resistance, what was really horrid to me were the animations and the sound effects. I fully realize that some players LOVE those effects and animations, but to me, they were cheesy, over the top and so silly I can't handle even thinking about it to this day. Yuck! <shiver>

After a lot of reading, I did learn that Willpower comes into it's own much later than other sets and that slotting is very important. I gave the guy what I though was a pretty good build, but really, numbers wise, it was garbage. I may try it again with a more learned, disciplined approach, but I think the playstyle required to do this build justice is just not for me.

I think I had one of those KM/WP a scrapper into the mid 30s before I left her in Croatoa and never played her since. I don't recall anything bad about it but I don't recall anything special either. Hmmm, thinking about it, I think one of the low level melee attacks did KB which was annoying (it was supposed to be KD) and the area cone did KB as well. There were too many other things to play and see, so I never completed this character to 50. 

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »
I thought Dual Blades was awesome but I could never get into it because, considering how I do Escrima (Phillippine martial arts focused on stick/sword fighting, knife fighting, self defense, and SOME firearms), beginner version of me wanted to make someone with Escrima sticks, like Nightwing.

So in other words I hated the weapons Dual Blades had. I thought the set was quite useful though

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
Kinetic melee's final attack could have had a more...dignified animation?

Otherwise I thought it was a solid set, I just didn't like it for my Regen scrapper.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »
I actually didn't have many characters in the game only about 10-13 total and then I really only played 3 often.  But one character I created I just did not like at all.  Electric Melee/Shield Scrapper.  I know this was an effective build that a lot of people liked, but I just could not get into it.  For one it just seemed like I was always just using the two big AoE moves, and then the occasional moderate damage punch here and there.   It had good damage mitigation too which almost made it worse because I didn't have to do anything but stand and mitigate, and then double teleport AoE, repeat.

But really its because I was just such a die hard blaster.  None of the other classes ever felt as fun to me.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »
I didn't hate the set (per this thread's topic), but the gun-fu animations were annoying (and immersion-breaking) for those of us trying to create a Western or a '30s pulp avenger hero. For those tropes, a "just point the gun and shoot already" animation option would have be warmly welcomed. :)

I agree. I found the different ammo types to be ...interesting, but of little use. For a blaster, DPS is king. Using cryo or another type of ammo didn't make much sense to me. The animations ...well, I'm with Doc Hornet. Point and click. Nothing fancy was required. A little too campy for my tastes.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:55 PM »
Demons - noise boxes that won't get out of the way.

Oh no! You just had to bring these guys up! Those rascals have mooned me so many times, I'm still damaged psychologically - as if I wasn't before.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:10 AM »
The animations ...well, I'm with Doc Hornet. Point and click. Nothing fancy was required. A little too campy for my tastes.

Especially as you'd think they could have adapted the existing Thugs (MM) pistol animations as off-the-shelf alternate. I suppose the casting times didn't match up.

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »
Ice Melee was very dull and very boring for my tastes, and it did not seem to do that much in terms of debuff. I could tell because I got an Ice/Ice Tanker to 50 and then scrapped him because I wasn't having much satisfaction with it

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 03:02:59 PM »
 Dark Control for Controllers was extremely underwhelming to me.. and i hated that growling howling dog...

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 05:46:34 PM »
Ice control was sort of underwhelming, I suppose. Ice melee too.

...Huh. Ice wasn't that great, besides Ice shield and Ice blast.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2014, 07:23:13 PM »
My only problem with Ice Melee and Ice Armor tanker sets is that they wouldn't port those two powersets over to brutes or scrappers.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
My only problem with Ice Melee and Ice Armor tanker sets is that they wouldn't port those two powersets over to brutes or scrappers.

Stalkers made good use of it, from what I hear.

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
I had a few combinations that made it (painfully, in some cases) to 22 then were scrapped, when Stamina/SO's failed to have enough impact to make them feel playable to me.

They were usually part of my attempts to escape the 'post-50 malaise' as I called it.  I didn't play mutliple alts at a time, I played one toon to 50, or one of my 50's.  I think the most toons I ever had at less than 50 at one time was two or three.  So, after I'd gotten a toon to 50, I found myself sort of stuck and it'd take me a few weeks of random pootling around at 50 to get inspiration for a new character.

I had a Thugs/Poison MM that didn't even make it to 22.  Something about the combination of particularly suicidal and squishy feeling pets (oh, the pyro's dead again, what a surprise...) and an endurance heavy secondary killed any fun in the combination.  Plus, I already had a Bots/Traps MM that was created on the CoV headstart weekend that I enjoyed and made other MM setups sort of... disappointing to me.

I had He-3, An Ice/EM blaster that suffered from chronic endurance starvation, even after SO's and slotted Stamina.

It was a long painful road before my Ice/Ice tanker (my first tanker) became fun, and he nearly got deleted, but eventually I got the hang of things and he became really hard to kill if I was paying attention.  He made it to 50, and got me sort of hooked on tanking.

Springheeled Jack, my original Stalker got deleted for being too damn squishy and ineffective.  He was EM/DA, IIRC.  After stalkers got buffed, he was rerolled as DM/SR and as 'Springheeled Jacques' as someone had taken the original name in the meantime (which was fair enough, he was deleted partly for a character slot and partly so someone else could have the name if they wanted it)

I had Raffles, my SS/Invuln Brute who was originally rolled as EM/EA on the CoV headstart.  He was killed off at about 16 or so, due to EA being tissue paper back then, and EM draining me dry of endurance.  Once rerolled to SS/Inv, it felt better.

I'm sure there were others, but I can't recall right now.

Oh, and someone earlier in the thread complained about Kinetic melee being too slow?  It wasn't really.  It just felt it because of the sound effects.  My KM/SR flying scrapper was all sorts of fun in a mostly single target sort of way.  Especially since the speed buff to Hover came in shortly after I'd chosen flight/hover as his travel pool <grin>

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 12:13:24 AM »
I keep coming back with powers that I didn't like :/.

I didn't get a feel for MOST of the Devices secondary. I loved the Targeting Drone (made it feel like I was actually hitting stuff, and I thought it looked nifty), Cloaking Device, and the Gun Drone. Other than that, I didn't really like it. I virtually ignored everything else. Before I respeced I had everything but I realized I just didn't like it. Funny enough, now I realize that Caltrops, paired with the Mine (not Time Bomb), was actually useful. But before that, I only had unlocked 3 of the set (not including Web Grenade).

Dark Melee was one I didn't like because it felt vague and underwhelming until you got Soul Drain, and then I felt like I was doing something. Ultimately scrapped the guy afterwards because I didn't play him much.

My VERY FIRST guy (i'm serious like once I got the game I made this guy) was a Spines Scrapper and I hated it. It felt like it did too little damage. Barely got him to level 5 and then scrapped him.

I loved Claws but it felt very inaccurate while playing it and it felt like it didn't do that much. The Endurance Discount on the powerset was nice though.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 12:24:18 AM »

Played a Thugs/FF mastermind to 50, I swore I'd never touch the arch-type again.  I want to play the game, not play
babysitter to some very squishy minions.

Really couldn't get into blasters, since their damage seemed a bit underwhelming to me.  The only exception being my AR/Fire.
My ice/ice was ok, but the dps was lacking.

Never could get into brutes, since I hated building rage.  Give me a scrapper any day - locked and loaded at all times.
The lone exception being my SS/Fire brute which I used for farming tickets.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Shifter

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
Energy blast, or any knock back for that matter. I hate chasing mobs all over the map to kill.
Stone Tank
Freedom Server

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:13 PM »
I didn't really have the taste for Spines. But whenever I saw anyone else use it they hit their enemies almost everytime and they said they had no accuracy enhancements or anything. What

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »
Super Reflexes and Kinetic Melee were pretty annoying to me.

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
EM on brutes was really underwhelming.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »
So much hate for two of my favorite sets: Trick Arrow and Nature Affinity.

I must confess that TA does take some time to get used to and it is really end heavy considering you are using a bow, but the payoff is pretty high with the -res, OSA, and a non-resistable -tohit that worked wonders on AVs.
I liked the set so much I had two. A TA/Ice fender who took lead on TFs (no tanks needed thanks much) and a TA/Sonic fender who just pumped out damage and was very safe to play.

For NA, I get the graphics looking so strange/bizarre. I found myself being ok with it after I changed the colors to a dark purple and faded blue combo. Gave it an otherworld Night Stalker kind of feel.
The buffs/de-buffs were extremely nice though.

Personally, I could never get into Gravity or FF. But they did change Gravity a bit and it might be worth another look if the game does actually come back.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2014, 02:32:29 PM »
This x a GooglePlex.. I forgot about that power.. OMG i wanted to like it.. I got a toon to 41.. and deleted it.. just awful...
Although I didn't hate kinetic melee, I did lose interest at about 44 on a Kin/wp brute.

Kobolt

• Underling
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
That's funny 'cause I had a Kin/WP brute too and I did get him to lvl 50 his name was T'Ankh and I RP'd him like a kick-ass Dr. Fate (even same color scheme) but I honestly did love the animations for a magic based RP'd character like he was.

But honestly I really didn't hate any one power lol.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2014, 09:01:15 PM »
That's a great concept and costume for T'Ankh!

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 12:30:42 AM »
I liked about everything.

I see people stating a few powers I really enjoyed.  That just means the game was very versatile and there was a lot for everyone. 

energizingion

• Minion
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »
Well I think Archery and the whole Peacebringer AT are the two that stick out to me right now.

Archery mainly because when TA and Archery came out, I made a TA/A Defender....bad idea.  At the time, it seemed like no one was teaming (and not farming) and so I was left to solo quite a bit.  Yeah...solo'ing with Archery on a Defender...so...so...painful.  Wooo!  I took down a Yellow or orange conned Lt...and it only took 5 minutes!  Oh wait, there are only 100 more mobs to go! :(  *cries*

The PB I just hated as well.  I tried to play it like my Warshade (which I loved) and just didn't work.  I got him to 50 (from random teams) and just shelved him....I think I moved him to another server for free to free up a slot on Liberty even lol.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »
I tried a Dark Armor set and I didn't like it.  >:(

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2014, 06:57:45 AM »
I tried a Dark Armor set and I didn't like it.  >:(

DA was very difficult for me too until I found Theft of Essence: Chance for +Endurance and put it in Dark Regeneration. Then endurance issues lessened and things got lots better.
My DA/Ice tank was very nice at the tank role and after the ToE, some kb prot, and SOs. He began to be a lot of fun after that.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2014, 02:56:32 AM »
I hated the way toggle tanks burned through endurance even with stamina and end disc.
Maybe I attacked too much.

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:13 AM »
Dark was really end heavy even io'd but it also could do some amazing things once you had the right build.
That being said I still could not run all my toggles on all the time but you did't really need to.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2014, 04:15:37 PM »
I almost hate to say it, but Umbral Blast/Umbral Aura.  I had a terrible time doing even the early-game missions with my one and only Warshade.  (I didn't get too much further with my Peacebringer, who was only level 17 or so when the game went down, but at least I never got so fed up that I deleted her)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2014, 12:57:57 AM »
 While Dark Armor was somewhat toggle heavy.. attacks always tear through end more than toggles do. I always found it funny that people would blame the toggles.. for example my DA toon running Tough and Weave burns through 1.08 End per second.. but my weakest attack uses the 2.70 end per activation.. when running an attack chain you will burn through end.. the issue is rarely the toggles.. its that normally early on your attacks are not slotted for end reduction.. once you can do that.. then you will use less end..