Author Topic: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.  (Read 11382 times)

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
Re: Which powersets, that you tried, did you really hate.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
Shield Defense.

I played it in Beta, and got level-bumped into the 40s. Although my character was a bit squishy, the fun of Shield Charging into a pack of enemies more than made up for it. When the set became live, I made Jerk Hacker, Tech Axe/Shield Brute, my Praetorian main and was planning to make him one of my main villains if he worked out.

He hacked his way through all the jerks in Praetoria with ease. This "hard" content isn't hard, for a Brute. Then, for some reason which I forget, I took him to Paragon City after Praetoria. In IP he learned all about cascading defense failure. After owning all the mobs in Neutropolis, it was a huge letdown to have to eat inspirations to survive 4 white Button Men, considered easy pickings by almost anyone else. I found that Weave stacked with Shield Defense, but it wasn't enough to make a difference. I lost interest before trying IOs, because I don't think a Brute should need IOs to steamroll easy mobs.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »
Kinetic Melee I wanted to like it so bad but the Jazz hand animations killed me arrg

Dual Pistols flashy but man I seen wet noodles do more damage (I tried the blaster version)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 12:24:48 AM »
Kinetic Melee I wanted to like it so bad but the Jazz hand animations killed me arrg

This x a GooglePlex.. I forgot about that power.. OMG i wanted to like it.. I got a toon to 41.. and deleted it.. just awful...

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
Stone Armor.

Got a character up high enough for Granite and retired him. It's the only power set I'm not using on one of my active roster characters.*

The -SPD (Rooted and Granite) stunk -- that running rock creature in GALAXY QUEST could really book, wasn't slow at all! -- and the three slots hogged by the pre-Granite armors was a waste, but the deal breaker was Granite Armor's automatic shape change. Not only was my character now half the height of his normal look (Huge body with height slider maxed) but ugly as well. Didn't match my design of the character at all.

Remove the -SPD from the set and put in a no-SFX power customization option for Granite, and I'd try it again.

*active in the pre-shutdown sense :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »
Controllers:
Dark -  (Tried it when it came out...did not like it).
Ice - Loved Ice Slick...and that was about it

Defenders:
Sonic - I tried many times to like this set, but it always disappointed me.
Nature - Looked ridiculous and had no desire to play it.

Melee:
Claws - Seemed weak and just didn't make sense to me; especially the ranged attack.
Titan Weapons - Seemed soooo slow

Blast:
Dual Pistols - Seemed so weak even on a blaster
Radiation - My least favorite blast set

Armor:
Any armor that made my status protection a click (Shield comes to mind)
Stone - Hey I look like everyone else!

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 01:37:51 AM »
I'm not sure why a good chunk of people are bashing on Dual Pistols it was probably my 2nd favorite set after Robotics.

It may have been me I don't know. I think I really liked the animations

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:42 AM »
Sonic buff was terribad.

Yeah, yeah.  I know it was great for the guys getting the shields, but for the caster it was terrible.  You never knew if your powers were actually working.  Your team still got hit.  They still took damage.  And there was nothing you could do about it other than imagine how much damage they would have taken if you weren't there.

The tier 9 power was the worst (liquefy).  I prayed they'd at least buff sonic siphon to where you'd gain resistance and target would lose it.

Oh, and the sound fx were the worst.

Most boring buff set ever.  At least FF had force bolt and cage to have fun with.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Please bear in mind that I don't wish to belittle anyone's opinions. My opinion probably reflects more on my own lack of insight or time invested than a reflection of the powerset.

But there is one powerset that just reeked with me at the controls. Kinetic Melee/will power.

I tell you the truth, my blasters had more durability than this guy. He was literally like a stick of soft butter in a very warm room against any opponent. He could not hold aggro, which was good, because he could barely handle more than 1 minion at or +1 to his level.

I mean, he really stank. Or I stank at playing and slotting him. I've played tanks, scrappers, brutes with good success, but this guy was just horrible.
In the latter days of CoH, I would read about how great other people thought their kinetic melee toons were, and I'd think, I've got to be missing something. Despite the lack of defense and the lack of resistance, what was really horrid to me were the animations and the sound effects. I fully realize that some players LOVE those effects and animations, but to me, they were cheesy, over the top and so silly I can't handle even thinking about it to this day. Yuck! <shiver>

After a lot of reading, I did learn that Willpower comes into it's own much later than other sets and that slotting is very important. I gave the guy what I though was a pretty good build, but really, numbers wise, it was garbage. I may try it again with a more learned, disciplined approach, but I think the playstyle required to do this build justice is just not for me.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:15 PM »
TA was my least favorite powerset. I never managed to level anything with TA to 50 and after trying a couple of times I gave up on the set all together.

Masterminds were my favorite AT and I had several of them, but I had no love for Ninjas.

I could never get in to Warshades. I tried several times, but I just like them that much.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
I'm not sure why a good chunk of people are bashing on Dual Pistols it was probably my 2nd favorite set after Robotics.

It may have been me I don't know. I think I really liked the animations

I didn't hate the set (per this thread's topic), but the gun-fu animations were annoying (and immersion-breaking) for those of us trying to create a Western or a '30s pulp avenger hero. For those tropes, a "just point the gun and shoot already" animation option would have be warmly welcomed. :)

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
My first and only character for the first few years was a Dark Defender, So the bar could only get higher from that, I suppose.(I was like, 10 starting out, was my first MMO, gimme a break >_>)

The list is small, I've played plenty of sets that are great, but don't fit my niche (Poison, for example, is an amazing debuff set for single targets, but I usually soloed +1 x 8 with bosses.)

That being said, a few offenders just failed to redeem themselves in my eyes

Trick arrow (Slightly redeemable on a ninja/demon mastermind, Dat oil arrow.) . Energy Aura (As a hellion once told me as I was smashing his mates with a battleaxe "You're lame."). Regeneration (Stalker only, doesn't scale well. Though, it only worked well with fast powersets.)  , and (Pre i24) devices (With the buff, my AR/dev went from my least favorite char to among my most powerful.)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
Staff - I have done Bojitsu (staff fighting) or Polearm fighting in the SCA for 39 years now. It doesn't look anything like they did and I could not watch it.

Demons - noise boxes that won't get out of the way.

Stone armor - just ugly.

Devices - very boring.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
I liked staff fighting but didn't have any previous experience with staff fighting beyond martial arts movies.  I think I had an aquaman clone with a trident staff that I never got beyond level 20 with all my other alts I was playing.

I liked dual pistol as well.  It was a fun set, I think.  I can see how the gun-kata would be problematic for certain thematic characters though.  Would be nice if they had an alternate animation to choose from.

DocHornet

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »
Staff - I have done Bojitsu (staff fighting) or Polearm fighting in the SCA for 39 years now. It doesn't look anything like they did and I could not watch it.

Yeah, it was rather Breakdance 2 Electric Boogaloo. :)  -- when they announced the set I was expecting a bit more "Little John vs. Robin Hood on the bridge" quarterstaff fighting myself -- but I really quite liked the game mechanics of the set.

I also was hoping for a bit more Errol Flynn-Basil Rathbone rapier fencing from dual blades. :)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »
Yeah, it was rather Breakdance 2 Electric Boogaloo. :)  -- when they announced the set I was expecting a bit more "Little John vs. Robin Hood on the bridge" quarterstaff fighting myself -- but I really quite liked the game mechanics of the set.

I also was hoping for a bit more Errol Flynn-Basil Rathbone rapier fencing from dual blades. :)
I was watching some youtube videos on staff fighting to me it looked like dynasty warriors.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Please bear in mind that I don't wish to belittle anyone's opinions. My opinion probably reflects more on my own lack of insight or time invested than a reflection of the powerset.

But there is one powerset that just reeked with me at the controls. Kinetic Melee/will power.

I tell you the truth, my blasters had more durability than this guy. He was literally like a stick of soft butter in a very warm room against any opponent. He could not hold aggro, which was good, because he could barely handle more than 1 minion at or +1 to his level.

I mean, he really stank. Or I stank at playing and slotting him. I've played tanks, scrappers, brutes with good success, but this guy was just horrible.
In the latter days of CoH, I would read about how great other people thought their kinetic melee toons were, and I'd think, I've got to be missing something. Despite the lack of defense and the lack of resistance, what was really horrid to me were the animations and the sound effects. I fully realize that some players LOVE those effects and animations, but to me, they were cheesy, over the top and so silly I can't handle even thinking about it to this day. Yuck! <shiver>

After a lot of reading, I did learn that Willpower comes into it's own much later than other sets and that slotting is very important. I gave the guy what I though was a pretty good build, but really, numbers wise, it was garbage. I may try it again with a more learned, disciplined approach, but I think the playstyle required to do this build justice is just not for me.

I think I had one of those KM/WP a scrapper into the mid 30s before I left her in Croatoa and never played her since. I don't recall anything bad about it but I don't recall anything special either. Hmmm, thinking about it, I think one of the low level melee attacks did KB which was annoying (it was supposed to be KD) and the area cone did KB as well. There were too many other things to play and see, so I never completed this character to 50. 

Charged Mastermind

• Lieutenant
  • I was 10 when I made this name i know it is dumb
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »
I thought Dual Blades was awesome but I could never get into it because, considering how I do Escrima (Phillippine martial arts focused on stick/sword fighting, knife fighting, self defense, and SOME firearms), beginner version of me wanted to make someone with Escrima sticks, like Nightwing.

So in other words I hated the weapons Dual Blades had. I thought the set was quite useful though

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:23 PM »
Kinetic melee's final attack could have had a more...dignified animation?

Otherwise I thought it was a solid set, I just didn't like it for my Regen scrapper.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 08:10:02 PM »
I actually didn't have many characters in the game only about 10-13 total and then I really only played 3 often.  But one character I created I just did not like at all.  Electric Melee/Shield Scrapper.  I know this was an effective build that a lot of people liked, but I just could not get into it.  For one it just seemed like I was always just using the two big AoE moves, and then the occasional moderate damage punch here and there.   It had good damage mitigation too which almost made it worse because I didn't have to do anything but stand and mitigate, and then double teleport AoE, repeat.

But really its because I was just such a die hard blaster.  None of the other classes ever felt as fun to me.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:07 PM »
I didn't hate the set (per this thread's topic), but the gun-fu animations were annoying (and immersion-breaking) for those of us trying to create a Western or a '30s pulp avenger hero. For those tropes, a "just point the gun and shoot already" animation option would have be warmly welcomed. :)

I agree. I found the different ammo types to be ...interesting, but of little use. For a blaster, DPS is king. Using cryo or another type of ammo didn't make much sense to me. The animations ...well, I'm with Doc Hornet. Point and click. Nothing fancy was required. A little too campy for my tastes.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese