Author Topic: Standing Vigil in game  (Read 31769 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Standing Vigil in game
« Reply #120 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
I'm the only one in Prot?
<facepalm>
Guess I'd better change for the march...

EDIT: NM ;D I was up on the dome; didn't see Omega until I came down...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:42:14 PM by dwturducken »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:57 AM »
Hehe, yeah the Grey Armor camouflages me with the ground. ;)
- Omega Mk. V

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2012, 03:48:04 AM »
Tonight's census

Today's census

Virtue AP33 - 27
Virtue AP1 - 5
Triumph - 5
Vigilance - 0
Liberty -  0
Defiant - 0
Pinnacle - 2
Champion - 3
Union - 1
Infinity - 0
Victory - 2
Zukunft - 0
Guardian - 6
Justice -  2
Freedom - 7 
Protector - 1
Exalted - 0

I want to make special mention of an idea someone else developed up-thread. I've seen a couple of people who have created characters with names like Save COH or SaveCOH Info specifically for vigils. They use the character description to give detailed information. This is a fantastic idea, and I like to hope quite effective at getting the word out there.

I also want to specifically thank the faithful who I see every time I log around and record these numbers. You know who you are, and you have my thanks.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2012, 03:51:31 AM »
An eye-catching costume probably doesn't hurt, if you're going to build one. Careful how you define "eye catching," though. It might not get the attention we want if it's a bondage raver with rainbow butterfly wings.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Keep me on count for roster on Champion. I know Atlas Park 33 is where all the 'cool kids' go, but Champion is my home, so I stand there when I'm not actively playing. Have been since this started.

So always, on Champ, count me in.

My wife also suggested replacing character history with links to follow for those interested, and why you're standing there. If someone could make a list for me, I'll gladly replace mine with it. Info is flying so fast, and I'm old (by most gaming standards) so I miss a lot of it :)

I'm going to continue this 'til the end, but with Zwill and Posi's posts tonight, my heart has finally broken. I was never an optimist; nothing in my life ever gave me a reason to be, but I'll always hold a torch for a fallen friend, and City of Heroes is far from my first. Hell I've done it all my life... and won't stop now.

Slaunyeh

• Underling
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2012, 02:55:32 PM »
The Shadow Smith will be standing a lonely vigil over Mercy Island, on Virtue. Red-side needs a representative, too.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »
I really am running into a lot of players who just plain don't know that CoH is being shut down. Which goes to prove just how little attention anyone pays to the launcher. It does argue that getting as many representatives out to spread the word as possible is not a bad plan.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
Truth. Can't hurt to post in Help or Broadcast about the fact NCsoft is planning to shut it down and perhaps a link to the forums here. Just keep in mind we don't want to spam it and annoy people.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

epawtows

• Elite Boss
  • Mechanical Engineer
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
I really am running into a lot of players who just plain don't know that CoH is being shut down. Which goes to prove just how little attention anyone pays to the launcher. It does argue that getting as many representatives out to spread the word as possible is not a bad plan.

Likewise- I'm one of thee Triumph regulars, and periodically find someone who did not know about it. 

Although one time it turned out they were role-playing that their *character* didn't know, which was confusing all around.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
Although one time it turned out they were role-playing that their *character* didn't know, which was confusing all around.
Finding anyone on Triumph who RPs at all is usually confusing all around since it's so rare.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Spontaneous* formation in Atlas Park 33 last sunday:

* it took two and a half hours, but that's not the point

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
Likewise- I'm one of thee Triumph regulars, and periodically find someone who did not know about it. 

I'm usually there, but lately every time I start CoH my computer freezes :-(    I'm scared to load the game!

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2012, 02:07:38 AM »
Tonight's census

Virtue AP33 - 21
Virtue AP1 - 5
Triumph - 2
Vigilance - 0
Liberty -  1
Defiant - 0
Pinnacle - 0
Champion - 3
Union - 2
Infinity - 1
Victory - 0
Zukunft - 0
Guardian - 5
Justice -  3
Freedom - 3 
Protector - 5
Exalted - 0

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2012, 02:42:51 AM »
Triumph - 2
Are you sure?  I see four.  Do I need to move to make my two easier to see?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 03:04:30 PM by eabrace »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Slaunyeh

• Underling
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Tonight's census

Virtue MI1 - 2

;)

For a brief moment I toyed with the idea of going "Paragon City is OURS to destroy!", but decided it was a little bad taste. I went with a more neutral "CoH belongs to US" slogan instead.

http://ft.trillian.im/c9109902623af7dcf9a46f4a21f8fa498e22d2b2/6aNAH6eZdrIQ4lROefZyLy4CiR028.jpg

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2012, 11:52:47 AM »
Are you sure?  I see four.  Do I need to move to make my two easier to see?
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/eabrace/titan/th_vigil_zps6964b3b6.jpg[img]

Well, no, when you get right down to it, I'm not at all sure.  :o My vague memory is that you are the two that I noticed. There are definitely people I remember - 1 Ton Hammer, for instance, has been there I believe every time I have checked.

The author of these surveys makes no promises of their accuracy. He is dependent on the data provided by his field crew, the 15 heroes who actually risk their lives and go check the live servers. They log on, spin around, and sometimes if I remember jump up to where you are standing in addition to checking the steps. Unless I get distracted by a hot looking hero. Or a tell. Or trying to figure out if someone standing there is just standing there or standing vigil. Or someone says something in SaveCOH channel. Or the phone rings.

Ignoring entirely the distraction factor, whether I see you is heavily influenced by when I have/make time to relog around looking for people. NCsoft has been making my life difficult with all these extra maintenance events. As a complete aside, one computer professional to another, just what the hell do these guys in the MMO industry DO with that much time for a maintenance event? I've built entire server rooms in less time than they get for maintenance events. Maintenance windows in my industry are measured in minutes and seconds per month, not hours per week. SHeesh, nice work if you can get it I guess. But I digress.

I look at the figures I am recording as a minimum, and have no illusions I'm seeing everyone who is there. The main reason I see the numbers as worth posting in the forum here (besides some recognition for the people contributing their time) is to give people a guide to which servers need more coverage. This becomes especially apparent if you look at the spreadsheet I linked somewhere above, and should again

Vigil sampling spreadsheet

All times given are whatever time zone this forum is running taken from the forum post, which I consider my official record. The spreadsheet is simply a handy compilation.

Notice that there are servers which almost never have  anyone standing vigil. What I usually do is run around and do my survey as quickly as I can manage, then park a few of my own heroes in the gaping holes in that night's coverage. Verizon wireless has been pretty shoddy the past few days, and I keep getting them all dumped while I'm asleep, but at least there's somebody there for a while.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Ignoring entirely the distraction factor, whether I see you is heavily influenced by when I have/make time to relog around looking for people. NCsoft has been making my life difficult with all these extra maintenance events. As a complete aside, one computer professional to another, just what the hell do these guys in the MMO industry DO with that much time for a maintenance event? I've built entire server rooms in less time than they get for maintenance events. Maintenance windows in my industry are measured in minutes and seconds per month, not hours per week. SHeesh, nice work if you can get it I guess. But I digress.

This has been bothering me, too.  Someone posted a week or so ago that the servers were scattered around the Paragon offices, under desks and whatnot.  Not saying the maintenance schedule lends credence to that, but I have spent LONG minutes waiting for a server to come back up that I had rebooted remotely, early on a Sunday morning, panicked visions of having to be at the front door of the client's office when he got in Monday morning.

I don't miss those days...

Daimyoshi

• Lieutenant
  • Shinobi
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
The funnything is that I am so Villain focused that it really hard for me to change servers, I could Hero over to Guardian where most of my heroes are but, I do like my virtue it just there is only one hero there.

My other Stuck in Free mode account all the heroes are locked and I can't unlock.

So I am hanging in the Pocket D, dancing away.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
Yeah, and I have not been surveying Pocket D, either. Only so much time in the day. If someone else wanted to start putting up numbers in this thread, it wouldn't hurt. I could easily add a sheet, or add in a field to say who reported each number. Maybe do that as a comment on the spreadsheet. Anyway, if anyone else wants to report numbers, go nuts.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2012, 03:55:56 PM »
There's a permanent Pocket D vigil?