Author Topic: Standing Vigil in game  (Read 31632 times)

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
Standing Vigil in game
« on: September 10, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
Not everyone can do this, but just a thought to pass along. I've been leaving my spare computer logged in as often as I can, and parking one of my heroes on the steps of City Hall in Atlas Park. I prefer the symbolism of

/emote HoldTorch

I'm starting to notice a LOT of tells every day when I get home from work, apparently Winchester has been noticed and is drawing support. Kicking myself that I didn't think of this earlier. I added the following to his "uniform" for this duty:

/afk Vigil to help Save COH tinyurl.com/SaveParagon

That allows him to explain what is going on even if I am not at the keyboard, and also gives some gamers who seldom read forums or gaming websites a simple, easy to remember link to get here. I've got Protector covered, and can switch the same hero to any server except Exalted. Occurs to me it might be worth trying to get at least one hero standing on each server advertising via AFK by their silent presence.

Also worth mentioning that I have seen several other heroes stand vigil, too. The idea is definitely getting out there.

(edit to add  in the following from further down in the thread - a suggested "Vigil" macro")

/macro VIGIL "maxinactivefps 1$$e HoldTorch$$afk - Vigil to help Save COH - Titan.SaveCOH.com"

You can if you wish substitute any website you wish, I'd suggest whichever of the redirects from this thread catches your fancy. The dashes and spaces are there to get the AFK banner to break into two lines.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5156.0.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:42:10 PM by The_Hunter_JLJ »

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
Re: Standing Vigil in game
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
I'll start doing that as well, I can easily leave my desktop logged in while I'm off going through the motions of my day. I'll be on Guardian.
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
If you do that, type "/maxfps 1" before afking. It'll slow the rendering, thus consuming only minute amount of power to render the game.

Think green !
Yeeessss....

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
Even better:  /maxinactivefps 1.  That way you can tab out of the game to drop the FPS, and when you tab back in, it'll resume normal rendering.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
Set up on Exalted.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
There are 4 heroes on the steps in Protector, and the others all loved the AFK sign.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Even better:  /maxinactivefps 1.  That way you can tab out of the game to drop the FPS, and when you tab back in, it'll resume normal rendering.
Ah ! good one. I knew there was a command line switch to make the game do that, but I should have searched more thoroughly.

And you can also cut the sounds of the game off, maybe it'll prevent the game from spending clicks on "rendering" the ambience.
Yeeessss....

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 08:49:53 PM »
So, the well equipped earth conscious hero should do something like this?

/macro VIGIL "maxinactivefps 1$$e HoldTorch$$afk - Vigil to help Save COH - Titan.SaveCOH.com"

Idea being to create a "button" I hit when I park him. After, of course, making a pilgrimage to AE to start up the mission which mentions NCsoft. (grin) Just seems appropriate.

edit to change web site to one of the redirects
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:42:57 PM by The_Hunter_JLJ »

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
Yeah, I decided to do this on Omega Mk. V on Protector, since I couldn't get to the Unity Rally.

"I stand for our City Of Heroes. #SaveCoH" is my AFK message.

Just wish there was a way to not autolog. :/
- Omega Mk. V

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
Yeah, I decided to do this on Omega Mk. V on Protector, since I couldn't get to the Unity Rally.

That was going to be my question - isn't the game set to kick you off after 30 minutes of inactivity?

How does one prevent that?

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 09:33:54 PM »
So doing this.  Great idea!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
That was going to be my question - isn't the game set to kick you off after 30 minutes of inactivity?

How does one prevent that?
Two methods, same game mechanic.

1) Start a Task Force.

2) Start an Architect Entertainment mission.

As long as you're in a TF (AE storylines use the same mechanic as TFs), the game will not kick you for inactivity.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
Awesome.

Now I don't need to constantly click the game! :D

I will now be a vigil on Protector each day. Look for me in game!

Omega Mk. V, executing program: Vigil.

Out.
- Omega Mk. V

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

If you have access to AE start an AE mish or an ouro flashback.  It'll put you in task force mode and not auto-log you :-D
I hope this helps

Edit: Didn't continue reading the thread as the question was already answered.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
Word of caution: someone set off an area effect buff near me that tripped off my vigil. Check your game relatively frequently. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
I can do this on Pinnacle, at least when I'm not actually playing. Or as long as my internet connection holds (it *does* have a tendency to flake out at least once a day).

LtlBtyRam

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Oh I forgot to say I too am doing this and have been pretty much all week.  Glad to see other like minded individuals.

I wonder if we really spread the word on this and there was ALWAYS a "mini" rally happening if it would help.....What do you guys think?

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 12:47:00 AM »
I made my afk message even shorter:

"Standing vigil: http://tiny.cc/SaveCoH" The URL links back to the Save Paragon City section of this forum.

Editing to add: Setting a TF didn't keep me from getting logged off. I think it's because I had the AFK set. I'm going to test without setting the message to see if there's a difference.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:42:01 AM by DashaBlade »

darkskye

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »
I've loaded my main up and have been keeping him in AP 33 in an AE mission when I can.

Ampithere

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 01:48:58 AM »
I made my afk message even shorter:

"Standing vigil: http://tiny.cc/SaveCoH" The URL links back to the Save Paragon City section of this forum.

Editing to add: Setting a TF didn't keep me from getting logged off. I think it's because I had the AFK set. I'm going to test without setting the message to see if there's a difference.

??? I've never seen that happen before, even with afk set. Is it possible someone ended your afk with an area buff, thus inadvertently ending your vigil?
@Rorn

Most recently active as Blue Baron

Guardian Server