Author Topic: Doubters and Downers. . .  (Read 75071 times)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Doubters and Downers. . .
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2014, 06:46:08 AM »
Sure, in this topic, you and others have repeatedly stated that the negotiations are still ongoing, which is great, but what I'm saying is that that bit of information should be put into the topic that is supposed to be keeping us up to date on what's going on.  It should say "no news, but negotiations are ongoing", not "no news is good news!", because the latter is a meaningless cliche.
Not a bad point actually.   It did read that "We submitted information Oct 2nd and are still waiting".   The new update definitely paints a more accurate picture of what is going on.   If I read that first post I would probably wonder the same thing you did.   We don't have anything better to do than ponder the meaning of updates really...might as well make them reflect more of the true situation and maybe give a clue to this sort of thing:
What I can say about the going ons behind the curtain is limited. I can say that I'm not at all worried about the outcome.
That's a very cheerful vibe!
  Yes, they hold the cards in this deal.  But the fact that they know this, and are taking full advantage of it, is what irks me.  I don't like bullies, and I don't like people who think they have power over others.  And no, the game does not belong to me, and I have no grounds to stake a claim that any part of it does, save the friends and memories and good times I made during my time there.  But far too much is being explained by "Korean culture" and tip-toeing around on eggshells in fear of scaring them off if too many questions get asked or someone pushes harder than they should. 

Respect for "culture" should go both ways.
In the spirit of this thread, that's really my one complaint about NCSoft.   Seems like a terrible way to do business....demand the entire world submit your cultural traditions.   ...And not only that....not really make it known beforehand that straying from those traditions will result in a door being slammed in your face.   How do they stay in business?

And the "bully" part is something I suspect as well.   Because I highly doubt they would refuse a call from Bill Gates because he didn't acquire the proper "introduction".   Yeah right....this is only happening because they are in a position of power....which sounds exactly like a bully.   Hey, maybe I'm wrong...maybe they would give Gates the brush-off too.   :roll:
You would be better informed if you actually read ALL of the thread in question (and the other one) and not just the first post, which doesn't always get updated with all the tidbits that get said.

Just sayin'.  Don't be lazy and you'd be better informed.
I've seen people get the opposite advice when they come into one of those long threads and ask a question.   No one says "read all 600+ pages"...they say, "Read the first post".

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
*snip*

In the spirit of this thread, that's really my one complaint about NCSoft.   Seems like a terrible way to do business....demand the entire world submit your cultural traditions.   ...And not only that....not really make it known beforehand that straying from those traditions will result in a door being slammed in your face.   How do they stay in business?

And the "bully" part is something I suspect as well.   Because I highly doubt they would refuse a call from Bill Gates because he didn't acquire the proper "introduction".   Yeah right....this is only happening because they are in a position of power....which sounds exactly like a bully.   Hey, maybe I'm wrong...maybe they would give Gates the brush-off too.   :roll:

This may sound weird, but I kind of would rather it feel like NCSoft would even do that with Gates. It's like, there is no preferential treatment, and this is just the way things are done. But, in honesty, I don't think that's how it would be, and that feeling is abrasive and frustrating. It is, as you say, my only real complaint with the proceedings. But, if this is how it has to be, then so be it.

I've seen people get the opposite advice when they come into one of those long threads and ask a question.   No one says "read all 600+ pages"...they say, "Read the first post".

I've seen it both ways. It kind of looks like there's no way to go without someone telling you to go the opposite way XD
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »

Well, it summarises most of the info, sure.  But to get it all, you really DO need to read the whole thread. What info there is often comes out in off the cuff sentences etc, and that stuff tends to not get reposted in the first post.  Things like having to tread softly softly with Korean companies and needing the right intro and things still progressing even though we're not seeing anything, likely due to NDA's...

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »

Well, it summarises most of the info, sure.  But to get it all, you really DO need to read the whole thread. What info there is often comes out in off the cuff sentences etc, and that stuff tends to not get reposted in the first post.  Things like having to tread softly softly with Korean companies and needing the right intro and things still progressing even though we're not seeing anything, likely due to NDA's...

The last solid slip of info that came out before this thread began was the offhand comment that said something like "nothing is happening until the big ******ber 12th meeting"  and when two *****ber 12ths went by with absolutely no indication of any activity of any kind, even as we came up on the third, I crashed and cried and began wondering if all activity had simply stopped but nobody was willing to admit it because, like a dumped girlfriend, "they might call any day now..."  :gonk:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 06:10:00 PM by Ohioknight »
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2014, 11:36:08 PM »
How do they stay in business?

In korea there are only a few big corporations owned mainly but a few families.  There really isn't much competition.  That is how they can stay in business without really trying hard.

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2015, 02:44:54 PM »
The last solid slip of info that came out before this thread began was the offhand comment that said something like "nothing is happening until the big ******ber 12th meeting"  and when two *****ber 12ths went by with absolutely no indication of any activity of any kind, even as we came up on the third, I crashed and cried and began wondering if all activity had simply stopped but nobody was willing to admit it because, like a dumped girlfriend, "they might call any day now..."  :gonk:

At this point, the most reasonable course of action is to assume that nothing is going to happen this calendar year.  NCSoft has next to zero incentive to prioritize this over any other initiative.

Personally, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if the I23 environment ever sees the light of day.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2015, 08:20:26 PM »
At this point, the most reasonable course of action is to assume that nothing is going to happen this calendar year.  NCSoft has next to zero incentive to prioritize this over any other initiative.

Personally, I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if the I23 environment ever sees the light of day.

I really have no idea where people get such lack of hope.

Let's look at what has happened in 2 years:

1. Game is announced to be shutting down.
2. Players and Paragon Studios get together to try and buy the game, due to some personality issues the deal falls through - but it was literally one signature away.
3. Several groups contact NCSoft but either do so improperly or decide not to close the deal (on buying the IP seperately).
4. Information is passed down and yet another group of players - find the contact person, find the way NCSoft wishes to be approached, comes up with a novel idea to lease the IP, free the game up to be played and meets with NCSoft's approval to do so.
5. News is relayed that a give and take deal is ongoing that they can't talk about until it is complete.

The trouble is you personally are setting your own time period on the deal. A while back Nate said they were shooting for August - then NCSoft set then a task to complete prior to any talks on a deal. They completed the task and NCSoft is happy to proceed. We get other news from podcasts and so on that NCSoft is going to assign one of their people to help oversee the lease transactions. People as far away from Korea as Texas who had no interest in CoH - have heard about the deal going on.

Somehow out of all of this people still feel NCSoft is going to play Lucy and pull the football away. I will continue to try and dispell your feelings of doubt where I can. I can only tell you  - I personally will not quit until NCSoft says - we will never sell and destroys the software. I also got to know Nate Downes reasonably well during all of this and he knows how you feel - he really does.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:45 PM »
Of course, the other sad part is that, even if this all goes through without a hitch, the game will still be a pale shadow of its former self.  I'll happily play I23 forever, but it'll still be tinged with sadness knowing that I24 will never appear on the revived server(s), let alone other future content, like the unfinished powersets (I was really looking forward to Wind Control and the five Origin Power Pools) and storylines (the Batallion, Scirocco's heroic turn, Manticore's continual slide into villainy - heck, even the final chapter of SSA2 isn't available in I23).

Still, I can't complain about 99% of a loaf.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
Of course, the other sad part is that, even if this all goes through without a hitch, the game will still be a pale shadow of its former self.  I'll happily play I23 forever, but it'll still be tinged with sadness knowing that I24 will never appear on the revived server(s), let alone other future content, like the unfinished powersets (I was really looking forward to Wind Control and the five Origin Power Pools) and storylines (the Batallion, Scirocco's heroic turn, Manticore's continual slide into villainy - heck, even the final chapter of SSA2 isn't available in I23).

Still, I can't complain about 99% of a loaf.
i suggest reading the "New Efforts!" and "The Mask Comes Off" threads sometime. As has been an ongoing topic of discussion there for several months once the game is purchased and relaunching efforts are started they will also be porting the game over to UE4 in order to continue development. Irish_Girl has already started working on rebuilding the game zones in UE4, and once the IP is secured efforts to recreate the game in a modern engine will being in earnest. The goal is to create CoH 1.5, which will be as accurate of a remake of the original as possible, but with far greater capabilities to modify and expand the game.
Seriously, read those threads, the plans to continue CoH's development were made and announced and discussed ad nauseum months before this thread was created.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »
i suggest reading the "New Efforts!" and "The Mask Comes Off" threads sometime. As has been an ongoing topic of discussion there for several months once the game is purchased and relaunching efforts are started they will also be porting the game over to UE4 in order to continue development. Irish_Girl has already started working on rebuilding the game zones in UE4, and once the IP is secured efforts to recreate the game in a modern engine will being in earnest. The goal is to create CoH 1.5, which will be as accurate of a remake of the original as possible, but with far greater capabilities to modify and expand the game.
Seriously, read those threads, the plans to continue CoH's development were made and announced and discussed ad nauseum months before this thread was created.

I will add that Irish Girl made a pinky swear to include I24 in the CoH 1.5 running on UE4.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »
I will add that Irish Girl made a pinky swear to include I24 in the CoH 1.5 running on UE4.

Make that UE 4.5 now! :D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:42 PM »
I know about Atlas Park Revival already, and I've been following (and replying in) both the New Efforts and The Mask Comes Off threads ever since they started, so I'm already well familiar with them.

I'm looking forward to Irish Girl's project, but that's not the original game.  It's essentially a new game in a new engine that takes assets from the old game.  It'll take a while just to re-add all of the things the old game had, let alone start adding new storylines, new powersets, new "issues" - and let alone adding them at the same rate that they were being added in the original game.

This isn't a slam on Irish Girl, mind you.  Don't interpret it as that.

But the game will never be what it was before the shutdown again.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2015, 07:11:59 PM »

Hopefully, it will be the same game play-wise, and will get better with succeeding projects to update the engine.  I think the bottom line for me is that we no longer have to hold out hopes for "a spiritual successor" to CoX, which would likely have been decent in their own right, but not the game we really wanted.  Now, we could possibly get back the real deal, and any efforts to update the engine should mean we get the same game, in an even better looking world, with more awesome effects.  The essence of the game that we all love will be preserved, and progress into any future iterations.

After wandering the wilderness in search of a game to replace CoH, I have a deeper appreciation for what I had in that game.  I am ready to come back to it, and stay with it for the long term.  If there are enough of us that feel the same, it should be possible!
What was no more, is now reborn!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2015, 08:12:06 PM »
I'm looking forward to Irish Girl's project, but that's not the original game.  It's essentially a new game in a new engine that takes assets from the old game.  It'll take a while just to re-add all of the things the old game had, let alone start adding new storylines, new powersets, new "issues" - and let alone adding them at the same rate that they were being added in the original game.

We still don't know the shape of the outcome of the deal or the rules of the IP Holding company... while Irish Girl is reverse engineering CoX in UE 4, using the CoT play development as her rules base, it isn't clear to me that this would necessarily be the only licensed effort to reverse engineer the game.  Or, for that matter, who all would be involved as IG expands her efforts and operations.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2015, 11:00:29 PM »
I think that if NC Soft were really interested in selling CoX, they would have done it by now. I think Windows 10 will be out later this year and I'm told that CoX won't run on Windows 10...
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »
I think that if NC Soft were really interested in selling CoX, they would have done it by now. I think Windows 10 will be out later this year and I'm told that CoX won't run on Windows 10...

good point.

Surelle

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2015, 11:28:49 PM »

You're told by who?  A fortune teller looking into a crystal ball?   ;)  Because not only is 10 not out, but nobody's got a full client of it running on a server to test this scenario, lol.  And Windows XP, 7, Vista and 8 are all NTFS; as long as 10 doesn't stray too far from the NTFS mold, I suspect compatibility will be fine.

And don't forget Irish Girl and crew porting CoX into Unreal 4-- eventually we'll have that, which should be future-proof for many years to come, which is the whole point of Atlas Park Revival.   :)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2015, 12:52:43 AM »
I am running the Windows 10 Technical Preview right now, and I have not found anything currently incompatible, though early on I did have recognition problems with AVG. I think those compatibility worries are misplaced. If it runs on Win 7/Win 8/8.1 then it will most likely run under Win 10.

(For what it's worth, this is absolutely my favorite version of Windows yet. While it is still a preview version {Pre-Beta}, it is very intuitive and has all the best features of past versions, I am very happy with it so far. That's not to say a future update might not change my mind, but so far it is all going in the right direction and they have been very responsive to reviewer input. Not only do we get the start menu back, but it is now customizable!)
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2015, 01:21:16 AM »
You were told wrong.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2015, 08:23:01 AM »
I know about Atlas Park Revival already, and I've been following (and replying in) both the New Efforts and The Mask Comes Off threads ever since they started, so I'm already well familiar with them.

I dunno about that.   IG has made it pretty clear that her intent is to recreate CoH as it was....just in a new engine.   It should play exactly the same with the same powers, effects, numbers, etc.    It'll just be new and shiny.

I suppose if you are really attached to the old "look" that might disappoint you.    I'm kinda looking forward to having fingers myself.  :D