Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 21951 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
How old are you?
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
I guess I shouldn't ask this outright.
So what age were you when you first played City of Heroes?
I wish to know the age group of the community I belonged to for so long.

So It would be kewl to write a short story like this

"I was 16 when I first played City of Heroes.
Willpower had just come out and Ae was just being put into the game I think.
I was introduced to it by a friend who was in his 40s at the time.
I've known more women than men who played this game with me
All older than me"
True story btw
Which is weird because I always tend to befriend people who are WAY older than me in real life. May have something to do with why I got along in COH so well
Are you guys all old hippies?
:o
:o

microc

• Boss
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »
to old..used to work with punch cards on my first job...how to tick off your boss reshuffle the cards on payroll day.

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 11:22:31 PM »
I'ma always the youngest person wherever I am..
:(
I wish I had a beard.
23 and still nothing :(
I should start a post on beards
:(

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
I am not a hippie.

However, I was...*calculates* *mumbles* carry the one...*mumbles*

32 when I was first started playing CoH in September of 2004. Yes, that would make me a cranky old man now.  :P

Although, I was first introduced to the game when it was still in Alpha testing in 2000-01.

I frequented the forums back then and tried to get people to see some reason and stop with the "I will hate this game if it only has 6 million possible costume part combinations at launch." complaints. However, I got sidetracked with college and other things for a few years. Then when I came out to California to visit my brother and some friends, they'd had the game for a couple of months. As soon as I got back home, I bought it and subscribed until they told me I couldn't pay them any more.

Most of the people I played with were older than me too.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 12:11:50 AM »
Ha, got you all beat (is this a good thing?)!!

I was born in the merry old year of 1960 so I am 53  (cries silently about the number, not the wisdom that comes with it).

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »
to old..used to work with punch cards on my first job...how to tick off your boss reshuffle the cards on payroll day.

I learned Cobol programming in high school with punch cards.  They made us buy our own packs of cards  :'( , so of course, one either got good with typing or it became expensive fast.

I wish I had a beard.

Do ya?
I guess it has its benefits.

/due to ethnicity, it takes me a month to develop a 5 o'clock shadow
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:18:39 AM »
Mine's in my profile, 58 years old.  I'm the guy who renamed SHIELD for Marvel Comics in 1990.  I watched an episode of Twin Peaks in a hotel room with George RR Martin and his fellow Wild Card authors.  I was an invited guest speaker at Superman's 50th Birthday party.  I bought Amazing Fantasy #15 from a drugstore for a dime, read the first Super-skrull Fantastic Four comic when it was new and became a huge Kirby fan by 1968.

I made my living many years working in COBOL/Z OS/DB2/SQL Big-Iron Fortune 500 company's systems (began with punch cards in 1981) and now I'm a Requirements Analyst on an Agile line.

Discovered COH in 2006 at the age of 50
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »
Yeah? Well.... I lead THIS..
>:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fbnWhb2QC8
My best life accomplishment..

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
46 in 2005,  when I discovered the best game ever! :)

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:24 PM »
I have underwear older than all of you.....

now get off my lawn!
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Kemphler

• Minion
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »
I was 12 when I started playing CoH back in 2004. I was 20 years old when it shut down. My teenage years were spent playing City of Heroes...Hell, it was my social life. I'm 21 now, and going to be 22 in a few months. And I still wish that City of Heroes was back. But looking forward to City of Titans.
"I intend to live forever, or die trying." - Groucho Marx

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »

now get off my lawn!

LMAO! :)

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
Count me in the keypunched computer cards generation.  Some of the first cards I punched were
for a program (written in Fortran IV) to print a "picture" of the Starship Enterprise on the line printer
of an IBM 1130 computer.

I was amused -- some others, not so much...   ;D

I bought one of the first TRS-80 Model I's that got to my hometown. Still have it, somewhere - it might
even still work, but probably not -- haven't powered it up in decades ... literally.

These days, I dabble with Perl and Python on *nix boxes - amusingly, they still pay me for this  ;D

You probably don't want to know about my underwear, but I have T-shirts I wear that are older than
many of the folks in here, or the colleagues I work with... I wore an Amdahl T-shirt to work the other
day, and only one other person knew what it was....    ;D

I won't tell you to get off my lawn... I pay the neighbor kid to tell you that!    :D

Cheers,

Night-Hawk07

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 12:26:26 AM »
I started playing when I was 18, right around Issue 10, I think. June 2007. I was 23 when the servers went dark. I'm 25 now. After watching Spider-man 3, I had this urge to play an open-world superhero game if I could find one (or at least find a copy of the Spider-man 2 Xbox game). I remembered seeing this superhero-looking game on the same rack as the Star Wars Galaxies game boxes (what I was playing at the time), and that turned out to be City of Heroes. Ran up to Gamestop, picked up a copy of Good vs. Evil Edition, and the rest is history.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 03:01:57 AM »
I started playing in August 2008, having found a copy of Good vs. Evil on the cheap at a local Big Lots (think warehouse style discount retailer).  I played the game 'til it closed at 3 a.m. Eastern on December 1, 2012.

So age when I started?  29.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 04:45:03 AM »

now get off my lawn!
un-opened underwear packages from the 20's do not count.  :)
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 07:32:22 AM »
I'm 30 now. I started playing CoH in the summer of 2008, and I was about 24 then.

I guess as far as which gaming generation I most identify with, it'd be the NES/SNES era. Though my family did own a Commodore 64 for a shor time, and so I have fond childhood memories of a number of games from that side of things.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »
49 now, so 39 when I started.

a memory of playing with an Aussie who was older than I was, his global was @Blue <insert name> and he wasn't kidding, his conversation was incomprehensible with the profanity filter on.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »
My son introduced me to a superhero game called City of Heroes back in 2004 (hope my date is correct, I seem to be having a brain cramp).  Anyways, I started my sub just before I2 went live and never looked back.  I'm 66 now so I'll let you good folks do the math (dang, can't find my calculator).  Great community this is! :D

Huge nod & thumbs up to Ironwolf for trying to get our game back. ;)  Man if I lived in your area I'd be helping you put them barn doors up.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:08:39 PM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
I was 14, the game was in Beta when I was over at a friends house playing games.
His dad had gotten into the beta for this MMO called 'City of Heroes'. He played for a little bit, and then turned it over to us.
Been playing from then until the doors shut in my face...Un-told amounts of dollars later...

I grew up in Paragon City, and while I'll save the sob stories for now, CoH and the community pretty much raised me when my parents wouldn't. I can surely say that I wouldn't be who I am today without the community.

So when the doors shut, after a few hours of crying I said f*ck that, f*ck NCSoft, and started learning how to re-make the game in a new engine...

Still a die-hard CoHer to the core.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com