Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 21937 times)

btru

• Underling
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
I am 31 years young. I remember seeing advertisements for COH before it came out but my computer back then had issues running Space Quest 6 nevermind a MMO. as time kept going I got newer computers, got sucked into playing WoW for a while, then in 2007-8 (can't remember which) I was looking for an MMO besides WoW I could play on my Mac and I saw COH again, and it became my home on and off until it closed.

Lastjustice

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2014, 07:12:49 PM »
I was 24 I think when Beta testing started. I saw rumbling of the City of Heroes being made in magazines for a couple years before then. So when I saw they was chance get into the beta testing, I jumped on it. I was playing the MMO prior to that Dark Age of Camelot. (a game that all died a few years ago.) I was burnt out from a couple years of playing and being a guild leader, and was needing something else. I was done with wizards, dragons and elves oh my. I started playing City of Heroes, and everyone was so much faster, more interesting and user friendly for most part. In Dark Age, you need ride a horse for like 30 mins to get to areas. (I tried go back after the Atlantis expansion came out, but the extreme slowish was such a turn off. Your characters jump like they have cement blocks on their feet and run much slower than a lvl 1 character in CoH..the travel powers just make getting places so much faster.) Then groups would break up by time you got there....like was such a brutal time sink.

I founded Eternal Vigilance again on Justice. I had a good following for a bit since I recruited quite a few bodies from Beta. (I wish more of my former guild had come with me.) When Wow hit, a lot of people jumped ship. The game was still rough around the edges, and I can understand why people didn't stick around. End game was lacking, and there was little do with your mountains of influence. The game rapidly improved, but the game never seemed to get the following it deserved. It chugged on steadily though, continually improving. I wish I could send the final version of the game back to cryptic, and had that been the launched version. I think it would blown away so many people, and it would gotten a massive following.

I played majority of the time since Beta. I took breaks here and there. I made a ton of characters (I wish they'd made more server slots earlier. I'd never needed make villains on a different server.) I was on a break when the end came, which my only real regret , as I couldn't post on the forums at all then. I just had sit back and watch it come silently. A friend of mine that I gamed with wasn't talking to me, but we both put our differences aside to play City Of Heroes till last day we could together. It was like having someone we both knew on their deathbed.

I've mostly had my fill of MMOs these days. I generally have too much going on to really dive into them the way I used to. (I'd play games like a second job.) Especially after the CoX went down, I stopped caring if I cut corners in games, or do everything, since it can all be so fleeting. When City Of titans gets going, I might give it a whirl, but I'm in no hurry put my cape back on. I had a good run and I am at peace with it as I sit here at age 34. (Almost 35.)

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 01:05:51 AM »
HOW OLD WAS I WHEN I STARTED PLAYING CITY OF HEROES?  Level 1 just like everybody else, duh.

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:15 AM »
I am 53 years young  8)

Was given the game as a Christmas Gift Dec 25 2005 from my kids

Have always been a comic fan and collector

Started playing computer games on an 8086 computer with only floppy drive no hard drive

Played Turbografx because NEC technology was better than Nintendo at the time

Played too many games to list and have collected almost every game console ever made

But none come even close the the way City of Heroes made me feel

Nothing even comes close to what it is like to be a Tank and Hold the fate of a whole group in your hands.

Or as an emp defender and to have the power over life itself

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:05 PM »
Started playing computer games on an 8086 computer with only floppy drive no hard drive
My fist computer was a Texas Instruments TI99/4A. It didn't even come with a floppy drive. Had to use cassette tapes.

Then we graduated to the 8086 computer with a 20 meg hard drive. That was a LOT of space...back then.

Now days, if windows sneezes, that 20 meg would be over flowing.  :roll:
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »
I was 24 I think when Beta testing started. I saw rumbling of the City of Heroes being made in magazines for a couple years before then. So when I saw they was chance get into the beta testing, I jumped on it. I was playing the MMO prior to that Dark Age of Camelot. (a game that all died a few years ago.) I was burnt out from a couple years of playing and being a guild leader, and was needing something else. I was done with wizards, dragons and elves oh my. I started playing City of Heroes, and everyone was so much faster, more interesting and user friendly for most part. In Dark Age, you need ride a horse for like 30 mins to get to areas. (I tried go back after the Atlantis expansion came out, but the extreme slowish was such a turn off. Your characters jump like they have cement blocks on their feet and run much slower than a lvl 1 character in CoH..the travel powers just make getting places so much faster.) Then groups would break up by time you got there....like was such a brutal time sink.

I founded Eternal Vigilance again on Justice. I had a good following for a bit since I recruited quite a few bodies from Beta. (I wish more of my former guild had come with me.) When Wow hit, a lot of people jumped ship. The game was still rough around the edges, and I can understand why people didn't stick around. End game was lacking, and there was little do with your mountains of influence. The game rapidly improved, but the game never seemed to get the following it deserved. It chugged on steadily though, continually improving. I wish I could send the final version of the game back to cryptic, and had that been the launched version. I think it would blown away so many people, and it would gotten a massive following.

I played majority of the time since Beta. I took breaks here and there. I made a ton of characters (I wish they'd made more server slots earlier. I'd never needed make villains on a different server.) I was on a break when the end came, which my only real regret , as I couldn't post on the forums at all then. I just had sit back and watch it come silently. A friend of mine that I gamed with wasn't talking to me, but we both put our differences aside to play City Of Heroes till last day we could together. It was like having someone we both knew on their deathbed.

I've mostly had my fill of MMOs these days. I generally have too much going on to really dive into them the way I used to. (I'd play games like a second job.) Especially after the CoX went down, I stopped caring if I cut corners in games, or do everything, since it can all be so fleeting. When City Of titans gets going, I might give it a whirl, but I'm in no hurry put my cape back on. I had a good run and I am at peace with it as I sit here at age 34. (Almost 35.)

Dark Age was such a good game! You should  Check out uthgard when its back up and running. Seems to be where most people play daoc nowadays :D

also i was around 8 when i started back in 2005 I cant remember exactly but my first event was the Christmas one with the giant snowman!
Daoc CoH and WoW

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2014, 10:48:59 PM »
Was 28 at the time . My friend had the beta and I watched him play it at first. When he brought the real game, I was addicted to it. I never understood why Everquest was called Evercrack until I played City of Heroes. I think for the first three years , I played it on my friends computer till I got my own. Then I ran COH on mines :). Too many fun days.

But to answer the question, I'm 38. 

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
If I remember correctly, I started playing in March of 2007, so I was 32 at the time. And now I'm 40.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 02:32:28 AM »
I am 45 at the moment, and started just after Issue 8 was launched, which would mean I was 37 at the time.  Boy, does time fly by.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
My fist computer was a Texas Instruments TI99/4A. It didn't even come with a floppy drive. Had to use cassette tapes.

Then we graduated to the 8086 computer with a 20 meg hard drive. That was a LOT of space...back then.

Now days, if windows sneezes, that 20 meg would be over flowing.  :roll:

I owned a TRS-80 when they were being sold in Radio Shack. Then a Commodore 64. Getting a tape drive was a HUGE upgrade. Before then, I would spend an hour typing in the basic code for a game just to play for twenty minutes.  :P
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Kobolt

• Underling
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »
I will be 59 next month my three sons and I (yes queue the theme music from My Three Sons) played the game all together 4 different accounts (I still have the 4 game boxes too) we all played in the beta also. When the lights went out only my youngest and I were still playing...man I have some great memories.

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »
My dad bought City of Heroes in November 2006. I was 10 years old when I started playing the game. I was 16 when the game shut down. And now I just turn 18 last month.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 08:43:13 PM »
I owned a TRS-80 when they were being sold in Radio Shack. Then a Commodore 64. Getting a tape drive was a HUGE upgrade. Before then, I would spend an hour typing in the basic code for a game just to play for twenty minutes.  :P
Those were the daze...er days.  :P

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:54 AM »
OK, OK,  I was x when I started playing.
Now, I'm y + x.

Started just after the breakthrough issue.
Solve for y.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
OK, OK,  I was x when I started playing.
Now, I'm y + x.

Started just after the breakthrough issue.
Solve for y.
y=40 (+ or - 35)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2014, 12:38:50 PM »
34 here... I started playing somewhere around 2005-2006.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Man I alway thought I was the old one playing games.. No wonder the community is so mature, because we'll, we're all mature (age wise).

I was 23 when I started playing, so I'm 31 now. I found the game looking for my first MMo to play. Turns out I picked the wrong one (the right one really), I've never been able to play another MMO. Thanks CoH for ruining/spoiling me.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2014, 01:44:07 AM »
Old enough to party

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 03:08:50 AM »
I was 20 when I started, back in April 2010. I remember because it was issue 17. I'm 24 now.

I fell in love with CoH immediately. My time with it was short, but I still miss it terribly and would give anything to play again.

I wish I had discovered it years earlier  :gonk:
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 03:59:13 AM »
Currently 42 years old.  Started in 2004 so I was 32 years old.  Started playing alongside my wife who was 29 years old at the time.

...she's still 29 years old.  You'll just have to trust me on that.
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A