Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7400023 times)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #18780 on: July 22, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
boop beep boop

Hi! No, definitely not any bots here. Ha , ha ha!

I am a real person who just wants to tell you about new product, makes body parts larger!  Send money to me, at address that I have!

Also, I am prince of a small country you probably didn't hear of, and I would like you to have money, completely legal and not scam!

Also, selling Warcraft gold 10000/$2.50 USD, ACDC, RTFM

beep boop beep

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18781 on: July 22, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Are you sure the thread isn't already bots posting back and forth?  :o

I'm not sure the totality of existence isn't bots posting back and forth.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #18782 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
The data from that will take ~16 months to send back, right? 

Will it? Do pictures not count as data? Because we got those pretty swiftly.

I'm not sure the totality of existence isn't bots posting back and forth.

...... potentially deep....
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18783 on: July 22, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
Will it? Do pictures not count as data? Because we got those pretty swiftly.

If memory serves, depending on a few factors the effective transmission rate for Pluto Express at its current distance is about 2000 bits per second.  Because the probe could not simultaneously take imagery and also transmit to Earth**, it recorded all of its data.  Once the flyby was completed, it pointed back to Earth and performed a stabilization maneuver to spin it on the axis pointing towards Earth (which is why it can't shoot pictures and transmit back to Earth at the same time).  Because it will take a long time to send all of its data back, and because anything can happen during that time, the probe was programmed to send a set of high priority compressed (lossy) data back first (including compressed images), then a second full set of all the data compressed (lossy), and then the full set of raw uncompressed data afterwards.  That way if something went wrong, we'd at least have some of the data.

We only have the initial burst of data including some images.  We won't get a full set of compressed images until some time around September.  And then it won't be until next year when we'll get the full raw uncompressed set of all the data the probe recorded.

** Well, it kinda can, but not really for the mission parameters of the Pluto flyby.  Also, the only way to get 2k/sec of bandwidth is to perform gyroscopic stabilization and divert all power to the transmitters, which means while transmitting the probe literally has no power left over to do practically anything else but run the computers doing the data processing and transmission.

Hells Wing

• Underling
« Reply #18784 on: July 22, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »
Since apparently (almost) anything goes in this thread, I'll throw this out there. I do believe Arcana and others have already addressed the issue, but I don't recall any real specifics.

Windows 10. I think some of you folks have been using it or testing it already. This morning, I get notification that I can reserve a free fully-featured upgrade to Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 PC. My PC also passes the check to see if it's compatible with Windows 10.

Never really been an early adopter. Hung on to Windows 98 SE until 2006, then Windows XP until 2012, when I jumped past Vista and Windows 7 to Windows 8 (then 8.1). I agree with those who wait until the bugs get shaken out, say at least a year after release. I haven't minded Windows 8.1, but then I'm pretty much a casual PC user, not needing it for work or anything remotely approaching complicated. I use the normal/old desktop, have gotten used to the few changes that affect me, and haven't had any OS problems.

Regardless of what I've just said about the wait-and-see approach, why shouldn't I upgrade? Does Windows 10 have problems, major or minor? How do YOU feel about it?

Thanks for any and all advice!

I have no idea of the problems that may happen when you upgrade and what programs may or may not work so I usually hang back for a bit and see what happens. Also what has me suspicious is Microsoft have been saying it's going to be their LAST OS...which begs the question where they are planning to get their money from? Will features be behind a paywall? Will it become a subscription service after a while or something? I don't know I might just be being overly suspecious.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18785 on: July 23, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »
I have no idea of the problems that may happen when you upgrade and what programs may or may not work so I usually hang back for a bit and see what happens. Also what has me suspicious is Microsoft have been saying it's going to be their LAST OS...which begs the question where they are planning to get their money from? Will features be behind a paywall? Will it become a subscription service after a while or something? I don't know I might just be being overly suspecious.

I've been keeping up, and yes, Windows 10 will more or less be run off of apps from the Store. They will maintain the OS as far as Windows Update goes and you add the software you want for it from the Store. As I stated in a post on the last page, I believe we may get something new when the format for PC changes (Quantum, etc.) but for now they're sticking with 10. They're accepting input for changes to the Beta for improvements and I've sent in about 200ish. I've already seen about ten get implemented in this latest build. I believe 10 will be just what the doctor ordered for everyone and a lot of the whining can finally stop. I've already run quite a few older games and some older software on here, including a copy of Microsoft Works 5 just to see if it would run, and I have hardly had any problems after setting them up in Compatibility Mode.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18786 on: July 23, 2015, 06:18:19 PM »
I would really like to play City of Heroes one more time..  :'(

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18787 on: July 23, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
I would really like to play City of Heroes one more time..  :'(

You could log into Paragon Chat and pretend we're reenacting the day Recluse depowered Paragon City.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18788 on: July 23, 2015, 08:15:22 PM »
I've been keeping up, and yes, Windows 10 will more or less be run off of apps from the Store. They will maintain the OS as far as Windows Update goes and you add the software you want for it from the Store. As I stated in a post on the last page, I believe we may get something new when the format for PC changes (Quantum, etc.) but for now they're sticking with 10. They're accepting input for changes to the Beta for improvements and I've sent in about 200ish. I've already seen about ten get implemented in this latest build. I believe 10 will be just what the doctor ordered for everyone and a lot of the whining can finally stop. I've already run quite a few older games and some older software on here, including a copy of Microsoft Works 5 just to see if it would run, and I have hardly had any problems after setting them up in Compatibility Mode.
I have had one issue with War Thunder having no sound on the RTM build and for the life of me I cant figure out why it works half the time. Lineage 2 wont let me login either. It thinks windows 10 is a hacking tool. The Lineage 2 issue has me concerned cause it is also an NCsoft game from the same year I think. Yes I know they are different but blah blah...

Hells Wing

• Underling
« Reply #18789 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:04 PM »
You could log into Paragon Chat and pretend we're reenacting the day Recluse depowered Paragon City.

There was an event where that happened?

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #18790 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:19 PM »
There was an event where that happened?

That is a brilliant idea! And yes, that happened, although it was only in the comics, so its canonicity is not confirmed.

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/City_of_Heroes_(Top_Cow)_Issue_1

Read it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzbPxewaK5DgNnpKa0N6M3BRMUU

And the rest: https://drive.google.com/#folders/0BzbPxewaK5DgdTlFM0p6czRuVU0
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #18791 on: July 24, 2015, 02:03:32 AM »
Odd, I don't remember the Terra Volta/Arachnos respec task force.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #18792 on: July 24, 2015, 02:08:13 AM »
I miss this so bad.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18793 on: July 24, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
Odd, I don't remember the Terra Volta/Arachnos respec task force.
God I remember when the TV respec TF was actually hard. It was great though when the team pulled together at the end and kicked its butt. Was a nice way to make use earn a respec in game.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18794 on: July 24, 2015, 07:08:23 AM »
I have had one issue with War Thunder having no sound on the RTM build and for the life of me I cant figure out why it works half the time. Lineage 2 wont let me login either. It thinks windows 10 is a hacking tool. The Lineage 2 issue has me concerned cause it is also an NCsoft game from the same year I think. Yes I know they are different but blah blah...

If Lineage II won't let you log in, it sounds like you may need to make it an exception with the firewall and Defender. I've had to add a few games and programs to the list myself. I'd also check with your anti-virus, whichever one you use. User Account Control can be set to allow any program to do anything inside the OS, so you can give Lineage II special/full permissions there until it works and then trim back what it's allowed until you get to what exactly the problem is. If you need any help with it (I'm not sure how familiar you are with everything, etc.), feel free to create a one-off e-mail address and message it to me and I'll be glad to try and help.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #18795 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »
Hey all. Can someone clue me in as to what this means if they are referencing CoH?

http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/feral-interactive-is-teasing-new-linux-port-on-twitter-487642.shtml

Thanks
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18796 on: July 24, 2015, 12:22:40 PM »
Hey all. Can someone clue me in as to what this means if they are referencing CoH?

http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/feral-interactive-is-teasing-new-linux-port-on-twitter-487642.shtml

Thanks

Why would you port a dead MMO to Linux?  Probably not City of Heroes...

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #18797 on: July 24, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
God I remember when the TV respec TF was actually hard. It was great though when the team pulled together at the end and kicked its butt. Was a nice way to make use earn a respec in game.

Personally I found the notion of making the respec trial difficult was like kicking someone when they're down.  In the early days when we didn't have anywhere near the accumulated knowledge of the powersets and powers we did during the later days of the game, it wasn't that hard for a player to take their character down a build path that was performance-handicapped.  Asking a group of such characters to complete a trial that was giving a team full of decent builds some difficulty almost came across as spiteful from the CoH dev team.  "yeah we'll give you a respec.. but you're going to pay for it!  bwah hah hah hah!"  That attitude might have been fine for players who were just wanting functionally-cosmetic changes to their characters but I don't think most players seeking a respec were doing it just to make minor changes, they had gone down a dead-end alley and needed a way back out.

Dunno how many trials I ran in the first few months on a character that I'd largely lucked out into a decent build at the time, trying to keep folks alive to get their respec token.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #18798 on: July 24, 2015, 03:25:31 PM »

Also, selling Warcraft gold 10000/$2.50 USD, ACDC, RTFM

beep boop beep

What??? No 10% bonus?!!!! No deal...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18799 on: July 24, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
Why would you port a dead MMO to Linux?  Probably not City of Heroes...
Not to mention City of Heroes already had a Linux option.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal