Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293614 times)

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17620 on: June 08, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
A word of caution from an unlikely source.

please don't do anything 'rash'. I know thats been said in it's fair share of superhero movies and shows ETC right before the hero says "I've got to do it" or something like that.

It's surprising to hear that codewalker and leandro and co. might have something to release soon, but we must be aware of the possible complications this may have for any CoX deal that might grant us a legal copy of the server code.

Please, please make sure that what ever it is legally avoids ticking off NCSoft and or confirm with them that it's ok.

I mean even if it's an offline client that allows players to solo game content and use dev/mod controls to start TFs ETC. it might be wise to ask NCSoft before releasing it.

We don't want the to say "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]"

There's always plan ZZZ but I hear that ones a real snore.

I'm sure this is secret for a reason. I doubt ncsoft will find out unless someone or mass of people blast off on their social media outlets "CoH Offline mode is Live!". The only way i think it stays inconspicuous is "Icon".

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17621 on: June 08, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »
A word of caution from an unlikely source.

please don't do anything 'rash'. I know thats been said in it's fair share of superhero movies and shows ETC right before the hero says "I've got to do it" or something like that.

It's surprising to hear that codewalker and leandro and co. might have something to release soon, but we must be aware of the possible complications this may have for any CoX deal that might grant us a legal copy of the server code.

Please, please make sure that what ever it is legally avoids ticking off NCSoft and or confirm with them that it's ok.

I mean even if it's an offline client that allows players to solo game content and use dev/mod controls to start TFs ETC. it might be wise to ask NCSoft before releasing it.

We don't want the to say "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]"

There's always plan ZZZ but I hear that ones a real snore.

Your caution is noted, however at this point how many of us care about NCsoft's feelings? :)
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #17622 on: June 08, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »
Your caution is noted, however at this point how many of us care about NCsoft's feelings? :)
Well i do inasmuch as i want the sale to go through. That aside, single player missions seems very unlikely for a variety of reasons. To be honest i will stick with my guess as being closer to the best case scenario, but whatever it turns out to be will almost certainly be worth the wait.
Now where did i put that flash drive with the live and beta clients...
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #17623 on: June 08, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
I'm sure this is secret for a reason. I doubt ncsoft will find out unless someone or mass of people blast off on their social media outlets "CoH Offline mode is Live!". The only way i think it stays inconspicuous is "Icon".

Even if no one says anything anywhere else than this site, someone from the MMO reporting community is likely to find it and run an article.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17624 on: June 08, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »
Even if no one says anything anywhere else than this site, someone from the MMO reporting community is likely to find it and run an article.
Indeed, that's happened more than once, I believe.

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17625 on: June 08, 2015, 11:02:48 PM »

Well, lets hope for our sakes that does not happen. The question is if it is indeed offline mode, then what is the best approach for release? I think we just run with it and be casual about it lol

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17626 on: June 08, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
I don't think it's going to be something as large as offline playing capability.

Maybe it'll be an easy demoscripting tool that'll allow us to create demos easier... :D

My out there guess would be the ability to 3d print our characters. :D

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17627 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07:32 PM »
I never uninstalled ish 23 so that I could use ICON, also I just didn't have the heart to remove it from my system.  I could still download ish 24 beta.....

You will need the i24 beta version for the new project. It's not compatible with the i23 version of the client.

I am avoiding replying to most of your comment because nothing I say will be diplomatic. But I am going to just ignore all the alarms in my head telling me to shut up and say: if NCsoft comes out and says "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]" then I, personally, will be glad we finally have an answer and can move on. I've been biting my tongue for two and a half years because of the "ongoing negotiations" and there comes a point where I just wonder, why the heck should I care. They shut down the game, when they could have easily kept it in maintenance mode with no more updates. I'm tired of feeling like we have to appease the Great God NC and hope for a Sign From Their Holy Offices. And now Agge is probably going to smack my post and wiggle her ban bat at me, so I better leave it at that.

The upcoming release is very limited, but from a developer perspective I find it very cool. I can't say any more because I already made Agge mad at me with this post, I don't want to make CW mad at me too. But keep your expectations in firm check; the initial release is going to be very very limited. But it's a start.

Surelle

« Reply #17628 on: June 08, 2015, 11:13:12 PM »
You will need the i24 beta version for the new project. It's not compatible with the i23 version of the client.

I am avoiding replying to most of your comment because nothing I say will be diplomatic. But I am going to just ignore all the alarms in my head telling me to shut up and say: if NCsoft comes out and says "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]" then I, personally, will be glad we finally have an answer and can move on. I've been biting my tongue for two and a half years because of the "ongoing negotiations" and there comes a point where I just wonder, why the heck should I care. They shut down the game, when they could have easily kept it in maintenance mode with no more updates. I'm tired of feeling like we have to appease the Great God NC and hope for a Sign From Their Holy Offices. And now Agge is probably going to smack my post and wiggle her ban bat at me, so I better leave it at that.

The upcoming release is very limited, but from a developer perspective I find it very cool. I can't say any more because I already made Agge mad at me with this post, I don't want to make CW mad at me too. But keep your expectations in firm check; the initial release is going to be very very limited. But it's a start.

I'm with you, and I have my doubts about the officiality of this supposed source of Joshex's anyway. I think Joshex's commentary comes from his own worried mind and nothing more.  However, he kinda needs to face the fact that NCSoft is most likely never going to rez CoX/lease the IP or they would have done it long before now, and where your "it's a start" project is not a full-blown CoX MMORPG server with a full hosted client on it, it should really continue to be business as usual here.  Let's not make a big stink about it, and us few die-hards can d/l your project when you give the thumbs-up.

Oh, and did I say "thank you" again, and big hugs to all involved for even thinking of us after all your hard work?    :-*
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:18:21 PM by Surelle »

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17629 on: June 08, 2015, 11:16:53 PM »

Very interesting indeed Leandro. I won't pose any questions for you for your own sake till permission is enabled. But I want to make a statement/question in general. Might this "lnitial release" be on the same levels as Segs? Hmm I wonder. Except I think I just answered my own thoughts that it is with Beta issue 24 instead of issue 3. I suppose no powers enabled, but perhaps chat? That'd be good enough for now :)

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17630 on: June 08, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »
I'm with you, and I have my doubts about the officiality of this supposed source of Joshex's anyway. I think Joshex's commentary comes from his own worried mind and nothing more.  However, he kinda needs to face the fact that NCSoft is most likely never going to rez CoX/lease the IP or they would have done it long before now, and where your "it's a start" project is not a full-blown CoX MMORPG server with a full hosted client on it, it should really continue to be business as usual here.  Let's not make a big stink about it, and us few die-hards can d/l your project when you give the thumbs-up.

Oh, and did I say "thank you" again, and big hugs to all involved for even thinking of us after all your hard work?    :-*

ongoing negotiations have been going for a year. I have pretty much given up that it will ever come back. If it does, great. if not....enough with the dissapointment

Spadra

• Underling
« Reply #17631 on: June 09, 2015, 12:08:27 AM »

I was unable to download the torrent on the site before it went down but did install Island Rum. By any chance would that suffice for the next project or will I have to hunt down the i24 beta torrent?

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17632 on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:16 AM »
If you can launch Icon from Island Rum (or Tequila) then you have the i24 client.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17633 on: June 09, 2015, 12:54:24 AM »

Thanks Leandro!   I was looking for a reason to put ish 24 beta back into my system, now I have one.

Looks like Tequila is working fine to download the files.

I also heartily agree that NCSoft could have left the game in maintenance mode either forever, or until they found others to keep developing it.  Shutting it down did nothing but alienate and anger many a CoH fan to the point that some of them will never play NCSoft games again.

Speaking of Tequila.....I need a drink.  :)
In fearful COH-less days

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17634 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:54 AM »
Thanks Leandro!   I was looking for a reason to put ish 24 beta back into my system, now I have one.

Looks like Tequila is working fine to download the files.

I also heartily agree that NCSoft could have left the game in maintenance mode either forever, or until they found others to keep developing it.  Shutting it down did nothing but alienate and anger many a CoH fan to the point that some of them will never play NCSoft games again.

Speaking of Tequila.....I need a drink.  :)

I am so lost in what is going on right now. Is Tequila a file sharing program?

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17635 on: June 09, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »
I am so lost in what is going on right now. Is Tequila a file sharing program?

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9531.0.html
In fearful COH-less days

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #17636 on: June 09, 2015, 01:52:24 AM »
I've been launching Icon direct, will Tequila be needed for what's coming next?
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17637 on: June 09, 2015, 02:31:17 AM »
No, Tequila will not be needed. It's a community contributed add-on to things like Icon and the upcoming project to help keep them up to date, but Titan does not endorse or support its use due to it downloading the client files. These projects are designed only for use with copies that were legally acquired while the game was running.

If you have a working Issue 24 install that is usable with Icon, that's all you need. It's possible that Issue 23 may be supported eventually as Icon is able to, but probably not for the initial release.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17638 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »
Yep, ish 24 ready to go.  :)
In fearful COH-less days

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17639 on: June 09, 2015, 02:45:31 AM »
Codewalker, just wanted to thank you and the ones you're working with for doing something fantastic. This is by far the best news I've heard all year since negotiations with NcSoft. Just curious since you've already answered the question to what is already being released; will this be a new updated form of Icon? Icon 1.8?