Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7294789 times)

Great_Scott

• Underling
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17660 on: June 09, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »
I'd love to be able to reserve both global ID and toon names before relaunch.  However I sense that won't be happening.  Most of my character names were fairly unique and imaginative so I doubt I'd lose many if any if I were to miss relaunch day, but I'd still like to reserve certain names across all servers.

I'm not so sure I will remake the majority of my characters. I'm thinking of making new ones (excepting a few "mains" I became attached to along the way).

I'm not too worried about the specific names anyways, since most of the characters had a big enough backstory to pick an alternate "hero name" in any case. Worst-case I know a few of them didn't have secret identities and could just go with their actual name.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #17661 on: June 09, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
I'm not so sure I will remake the majority of my characters. I'm thinking of making new ones (excepting a few "mains" I became attached to along the way).

I'm not too worried about the specific names anyways, since most of the characters had a big enough backstory to pick an alternate "hero name" in any case. Worst-case I know a few of them didn't have secret identities and could just go with their actual name.

I had so many characters across three accounts that I am not sure I can remember all of them. Probably half (or more) of the way more that 50 toons were between level 10-30, but every single one of them had the last name "Remaugen". I will try to remake the core toons first, there were some of them that were more important to me. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #17662 on: June 09, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »
Who DID out the negotions, by the way?
I prided myself knowing and reading this thread now I am sooooo completely lost :( Can someone please condense what was said in the last 4 pages.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17663 on: June 09, 2015, 07:29:23 PM »
[...] But I am going to just ignore all the alarms in my head telling me to shut up and say: if NCsoft comes out and says "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]" then I, personally, will be glad we finally have an answer and can move on. I've been biting my tongue for two and a half years because of the "ongoing negotiations" and there comes a point where I just wonder, why the heck should I care. They shut down the game, when they could have easily kept it in maintenance mode with no more updates. I'm tired of feeling like we have to appease the Great God NC and hope for a Sign From Their Holy Offices.

THANK.

YOU.

A larger bunch of prima donna/divas, you would go far to find.

Auroxis

• Boss
« Reply #17664 on: June 09, 2015, 07:41:12 PM »
Since I don't have quite the spare time I had 5 years ago, I won't be remaking most of my characters and would probably only spend significant time on one of them. Reliving old memories is nice and all, but CoX had some really cool powerset combinations I didn't get to explore and a blank slate is a perfect opportunity to do so.

As for the negotiation business, getting the game back is not a dream I'm willing to let die just yet. We have a wonderful community of fans that's still very active after over two years, it'd be a shame if we had to settle for the consolation prize instead. I love all you geniuses and your projects, but I love the thought of being able to play the game even more.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17665 on: June 09, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
I prided myself knowing and reading this thread now I am sooooo completely lost :( Can someone please condense what was said in the last 4 pages.

make sure you have ish 24 beta installed and accessible via ICON and await a new project from Codewalker
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17666 on: June 09, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
I got a new guitar! My fingers are on fire and I'm trying to work out how to translate the original City of Heroes theme to guitar. Has anyone done this before? Have any tabs or anything?

If you still are wondering I can transpose it out for you.  Anyone have a link where I can hear the song though?

Also glad to see this project, gonna laugh my ass off though if Joshex is right.  Everyone is on here "Pfft screw em I don't care!" gonna be barking up a whole different if tree if this actually jeopardizes the sale (which I doubt it will) lot of people seem to be jumping down Joshex throat for the one time he is actually making sense.

Most people are jumping to as big as conclusions as Joshex is though.  No one knows what this is and everyone is all ready rocking a full woody thinking it is a private server or something.  It seems small enough that Codework and friends aren't worried about it having any legal drawback.  However if it does stand in the way of the sale everyone who has proudly and toughly said "screw em" "I dont care NCsoft isnt my boss." just remember your words.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:36:01 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17667 on: June 09, 2015, 08:26:08 PM »
If you still are wondering I can transpose it out for you.  Anyone have a link where I can hear the song though?

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

They are in MP3 Format

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17668 on: June 09, 2015, 08:39:02 PM »
All these rev eng projects always bring a big worry in the back of my mind; the worry being NCSoft and their capability to do the 'Final Update' (send a message to their software on computers who have it and are online, force the updater/launcher to run and do a full reverse update erasing the content of all the files.)

Mean people do exist in Corporatia (Corporate land).

You do realise such an act would be highly illegal, right?  You really should take that tin foil hat off, dude... It's cutting off the oxygen supply...

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17669 on: June 09, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
Not to mention brains shrink in certain conditions, after removing the tin foil hat drink some water.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #17670 on: June 09, 2015, 08:53:28 PM »
Thank you to everyone who continues to work hard to keep hope alive.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17671 on: June 09, 2015, 09:27:07 PM »
You do realise such an act would be highly illegal, right?  You really should take that tin foil hat off, dude... It's cutting off the oxygen supply...

I can think of no reason why that would be illegal.  It would be a public relations catastrophe, but no law would be broken.  If you are (still) running the NCSoft updater, you're consenting to allow it to update any of NCSoft's software.  That would presumably include the City of Heroes game client.  Deleting it from your computer is something you have no legal right to object to, since you don't own that software.  Even if you did own it, all NCSoft would need to do would be to delete the pigg files that contain their copyright content, which you no longer have a legal license to possess.

The fact of the matter is NCSoft wouldn't do that because a) its unlikely many or most CoH players are still running the updater, so this would have limited effect, b) the client would be trivially easy to reinstall from other sources, c) there's this thing called backup that exists, and d) it would make them look like jackasses.  Not the trivial "we hate them because they shut down our game" jackass, but something far more attention-worthy.  And no one ever wants the kind of attention deleting files from people's computers generates.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17672 on: June 09, 2015, 09:43:26 PM »
^ I don't know about American law, but in the EU, accessing someone's computer without their permission is very illegal.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17673 on: June 09, 2015, 10:20:15 PM »
Wait wait wait...CoX had music?

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #17674 on: June 09, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
^ I don't know about American law, but in the EU, accessing someone's computer without their permission is very illegal.

The NCSoft Launcher though, is still valid, and you are explicitly giving them access, so it likely isn't illegal, even under EU law.  it could be, just because I know they have some pretty bizarre laws when it comes to privacy, but as long as all they are removing, is their own software, the fact that it is on your machine doesn't matter.  Now, if you did NOT have the NCLauncher running, and they did that, I could see it being illegal almost everywhere.

I'm not sure what standing the EULA for the Launcher has as compared to any other EU laws.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #17675 on: June 09, 2015, 10:29:47 PM »
If NCSoft pulls the plug on negotiations because of a hint of an upcoming project (that in our best estimate use of does not violate the EULA), and which details have not even been revealed yet... well I'd say they were not negotiating in good faith to begin with.

If we defer its release indefinitely because of the possibility of negotiations, then I'd say that the tactic of stringing people along with no intent of following through to keep them quiet and under control is working wonderfully.

Allow me to second.

THANK
YOU

Actually, just generalize that THANK YOU (and Leandro and everybody trying) for everything you're doing

It isn't said too much.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17676 on: June 09, 2015, 10:32:50 PM »
Argh. My pc with issue 24 beta held the game client until Christmas 2013 before I deleted it. Someone else in my family now has that PC (with an Up-to-date Icon).

Am I boned for taking part in this project?

Also: Codewalker, can you give this project its own thread when you're ready to push forward with it?

Edit: in fact, the only client I have of coh is a first-year Going Rogue client/pre-freedom build on a pic with a busted hard disc. I don't have the free cash to fix that (and it would still be out of date).

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10330.0.html

Many folks were nice enough to offer advice. I'd be willing to ship it to someone for free if they want it.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:47:57 PM by Rejolt »
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17677 on: June 09, 2015, 10:40:23 PM »
Argh. My pc with issue 24 beta held the game client until Christmas 2013 before I deleted it. Someone else in my family now has that PC (with an Up-to-date Icon).

Am I boned for taking part in this project?

Also: Codewalker, can you give this project its own thread when you're ready to push forward with it?

Issue 24:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9531.0.html

I think he said he'd make a thread for this when it is ready.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17678 on: June 09, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
Issue 24:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9531.0.html

I think he said he'd make a thread for this when it is ready.

Sigh, reading is fundamental. Thanks for covering for me lol
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Winter Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17679 on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:22 PM »
Allow me to second.

THANK
YOU

Actually, just generalize that THANK YOU (and Leandro and everybody trying) for everything you're doing

It isn't said too much.

This ^^^^^^^^^