Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293472 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17600 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
Just for giggles, I went back to my last parser and took a look at some of the stuff it did.  One thing (or rather a set of things) I did was sweep the entire powers database for oddities, which I periodically reported to the devs.  This is a list of (most of) what I checked for in every single build (many because the devs had created a bug related to that exact problem in the past):

Cones with range different from radius
Powers that can slot an enhancement that boosts something the power doesn't do
Powers that can slot an enhancement that boosts something the power explicitly disallows, that isn't a proc
Powers whose combat spam say it does damage type X, when none of its attribmods deal that type
Power is a self buff but isn't flagged for detoggle immunity
Power is not a self buff but is flagged for detoggle immunity
Power has a hit message and duration (which will cause combat chat spamming)
Power has Fiery Embrace damage that is not 45% of base
Power has cast time inconsistent with animation root time
Power uses both Melee and Ranged attrib tables in different attribmods
Power has an arc but is not a cone
Power is a passive but has endurance cost
Power has zero cast time, zero recharge, and is a click activated power but not a modal
Power is a foe-damaging player AoE but has target cap > 16 and is not incarnate
Power is a foe-damaging player AoE but has no target cap
Power is a foe-affecting non-damaging player AoE but has target cap > 255
Power is a foe-affecting non-damaging player AoE but has no target cap
Power buffs friends or teammates but has only positional type buffs
Power buffs friends or teammates but has only non-positional type buffs
Power sets Cur on self with non-zero duration
Power affects attribute on self and is resistable, and not on exception list
Power grants power that doesn't exist
Power grants power with duration X, but granted power has lifetime Y
Mission Maker damage power is using player tables, not temp table
Mission Maker damage power is unresistable
Mission Maker power taunts
Mission Maker power autohits endurance drain
Mission Maker power autohits perception debuff
Mission Maker power autohits damage
Mission Maker power has a crash without flagging for kEndBattle
Power invokes an animation sequence that jumps to non-existent sequence
Power has short name or colloquial name identical to another power but is defined differently

Every single one of those represents a bug the devs created at least once, and sometimes lots of times.... 

I see this list and it gives me a glimmer of the incredible scale of effort involved in MMORPG development.  It makes me think the concept of APR re-creating the CoX content compared to the resources that could possibly be available makes Irish Girl seem like a crazy lady.  I mean, hooray for craziness and I'll kick in some bucks (as I have to all the "spirituals" that let me) but wow!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #17601 on: June 07, 2015, 06:47:58 PM »
I could spend hundreds of hours building a base. that's one of the things I miss most. Sigh now that's all I wanna do today is spend hours on a base.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #17602 on: June 07, 2015, 07:15:34 PM »
I could spend hundreds of hours building a base. that's one of the things I miss most. Sigh now that's all I wanna do today is spend hours on a base.

I would be happy to base build , fly and streetsweep. A lot of times I would streetsweep just to amuse myself or reduce stress'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:26:41 PM by Optimus Dex »

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #17603 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
i stored my alts in an SG specifically for getting prestige as i leveled them...and aside from the vampire mansion i built in a giant room i'd remodel it once a month especially after the prestige grant.
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17604 on: June 08, 2015, 01:49:36 AM »

I would be happy to base build , fly and streetsweep. A lot of times I would streetsweep just to amuse myself or reduce stress'

That would be great. Of late I have been designing L25 and L35 builds in mids to switch to when I were to exemp down from L50/incarnate
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17605 on: June 08, 2015, 02:15:39 AM »
That would be great. Of late I have been designing L25 and L35 builds in mids to switch to when I were to exemp down from L50/incarnate
Are those milestone levels for any reason? Or just because?

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17606 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »

Totally agree completely.
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17607 on: June 08, 2015, 02:27:03 AM »
Are those milestone levels for any reason? Or just because?

To a min maxer they are powerful milestones.

25 = SO and early IO range

35 = Larger number of enhancement slots. (I know, that starts in the 30s but 35 is when you really notice it)
Edit: Also various TF's are available at 35+.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 03:11:13 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17608 on: June 08, 2015, 03:24:08 AM »
I hope not.  What's the point of building a base that no one else can appreciate? :/

Still can post screen shots. Then just work around with the base so when the game goes live, you have a blueprint in what to make
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:54:54 AM by MM3squints »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17609 on: June 08, 2015, 03:53:07 AM »
Honestly I think a base that "grows" is more interesting than one that is pre-planned the entire way.  Know, like a city in Sim City of Cities: Skyline.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17610 on: June 08, 2015, 09:38:25 AM »
Except that Tequila has a great big SOON(tm) in the update window...

That was my doing. I know that once the new project is announced, people will scramble to download the COH client and all those downloads at once will absolutely murder the available bandwidth, so I wanted to start teasing it early so more people would be tempted to download the client before the big rush.

If you have some web space available with lots of bandwidth and want to donate some of it to serve COH client downloads, send me a PM.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17611 on: June 08, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
That was my doing. I know that once the new project is announced, people will scramble to download the COH client and all those downloads at once will absolutely murder the available bandwidth, so I wanted to start teasing it early so more people would be tempted to download the client before the big rush.

If you have some web space available with lots of bandwidth and want to donate some of it to serve COH client downloads, send me a PM.

I'm guessing the migration to UE4 will nullify all of the game disc sets to aid in install, correct? If it does, that's a shame, because I found my original CoV (from launch day) and my Architect Edition laying around in my 'loved' box. They were in there with Auto Assault (of course), Hellgate: London, and a ton of other games that had their servers devoured for other uses.
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

Surelle

« Reply #17612 on: June 08, 2015, 12:52:21 PM »

Well if this isn't the best news I've ever heard on these forums, I don't know what is!   ;D

Whatever this turns out to be, thanks to Codewalker, Leandro, and all others involved not just for working on it for so many years, but for sharing it.   8)

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17613 on: June 08, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
Well if this isn't the best news I've ever heard on these forums, I don't know what is!   ;D

Whatever this turns out to be, thanks to Codewalker, Leandro, and all others involved not just for working on it for so many years, but for sharing it.   8)
Here here.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17614 on: June 08, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »
I'm guessing the migration to UE4 will nullify all of the game disc sets to aid in install, correct? If it does, that's a shame, because I found my original CoV (from launch day) and my Architect Edition laying around in my 'loved' box. They were in there with Auto Assault (of course), Hellgate: London, and a ton of other games that had their servers devoured for other uses.

It's not a "migration", it's a complete recreation from scratch so no, nothing from the original game discs will be used.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17615 on: June 08, 2015, 04:27:19 PM »

I never uninstalled ish 23 so that I could use ICON, also I just didn't have the heart to remove it from my system.  I could still download ish 24 beta.....
In fearful COH-less days

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17616 on: June 08, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »
I have Icon on my system, though it's through the I24 beta.  I occasionally open it up but I don't enter any of the zones.  I would rather enter the zones in the actual game when it's released.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17617 on: June 08, 2015, 05:22:20 PM »
  I would rather enter the zones in the actual game when it's released.

You and America, my fellow CoH player :)

I'm hoping that whatever this is, let's us build and save characters.
In fearful COH-less days

Voltixdark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17618 on: June 08, 2015, 08:51:09 PM »

Agreed! I wonder when the big surprise will be released. Hopefully this month!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #17619 on: June 08, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
A word of caution from an unlikely source.

please don't do anything 'rash'. I know thats been said in it's fair share of superhero movies and shows ETC right before the hero says "I've got to do it" or something like that.

It's surprising to hear that codewalker and leandro and co. might have something to release soon, but we must be aware of the possible complications this may have for any CoX deal that might grant us a legal copy of the server code.

Please, please make sure that what ever it is legally avoids ticking off NCSoft and or confirm with them that it's ok.

I mean even if it's an offline client that allows players to solo game content and use dev/mod controls to start TFs ETC. it might be wise to ask NCSoft before releasing it.

We don't want the to say "no deal, deals off, your crew on titan made [blah here]"

There's always plan ZZZ but I hear that ones a real snore.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.