Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293369 times)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13380 on: November 26, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
There's a different problem with volunteers that UO found out the hard way.

http://www.uoguide.com/Counselor look at the demise section. Basically some of the volunteers sued for wages. I'm not sure if they won or it was settled out of court but they got $1200 each.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13381 on: November 26, 2014, 10:58:53 PM »
There's a different problem with volunteers that UO found out the hard way.

http://www.uoguide.com/Counselor look at the demise section. Basically some of the volunteers sued for wages. I'm not sure if they won or it was settled out of court but they got $1200 each.

Which likely means that GM's won't be voluntary unless they get some nice in game perks or free VIP accounts as compensation.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Litintha

• Underling
  • All hail Lelouch!
« Reply #13382 on: November 27, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
Which likely means that GM's won't be voluntary unless they get some nice in game perks or free VIP accounts as compensation.

AeriaGames does something like this for their game sages (player helpers). They get 2,500 AeriaPoints (AP) each month they are a game sage.

The "voluntary" GMs could get something similar as compensation.

It certainly is a possibility.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13383 on: November 27, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
You know what's odd though - I never had a GM grant me a badge. I had times when they agreed i had completed the mission and din't get the badge - the most they ever offered was to reset the final mission for me. Perhaps there was a written instruction on what scenario allows you to take which action.

That would be the easiest way to do it - you make it clear with a checklist for each type action and who should take that action. A junior GM can free stuck characters or reset missions and little else.

Scale it up from there - so that yes you have that power but use it and you are gone.

they are only supposed to grant badges that don't trigger even though you've completed the reqs and if such a thing is found then bam you get an extra badge anyways :

http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Bug_Hunter_Badge

this is the one my blaster had. too bad I couldn't get two, i reported several bugs on him.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13384 on: November 27, 2014, 04:38:58 AM »
Be nice if they can alter the prerequisite needs for the Tier 3 pool powers.

Example: the fighting pool, boxing, kick, tough and weave.  Be nice if we didn't need to waste a power choice on boxing or kicking.  Tough was needed for some archetypes,  weave of course was needed to push some alts to the almighty defense cap.
In fearful COH-less days

Void Huntress

• Minion
« Reply #13385 on: November 27, 2014, 04:50:29 AM »
Either SWTOR has been changed to be completely unrecognizable from my time playing it, or dementia is finally setting in and I imagined my playtime with City of Heroes while staring at a magic eye poster.

Belatedly, one distinct way in which SWTOR departs from most EQ-heritage games and more resembles City is the encounter scaling. Very few** EQ-heritage games permit a player to construct a build to take on several opponents at once, instead of being limited to 1-3 at a time.

Aside from that, no, they aren't very similar.

** I can't actually name any live examples right now which do this.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #13386 on: November 27, 2014, 06:28:05 AM »
Be nice if they can alter the prerequisite needs for the Tier 3 pool powers.

Example: the fighting pool, boxing, kick, tough and weave.  Be nice if we didn't need to waste a power choice on boxing or kicking.  Tough was needed for some archetypes,  weave of course was needed to push some alts to the almighty defense cap.

That was played with in Issue 21 beta when the travel powers had their prerequisites removed. It turned out to be overpowered and was changed back before the beta test ended.

Tough and weave were not "needed" by anyone, and as pool powers are supposed to be extra, weaker choices, the more powerful ones have to have a high cost of entry to prevent stacking them and overshadowing primary/secondary powers.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13387 on: November 27, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
That was played with in Issue 21 beta when the travel powers had their prerequisites removed. It turned out to be overpowered and was changed back before the beta test ended.

Tough and weave were not "needed" by anyone, and as pool powers are supposed to be extra, weaker choices, the more powerful ones have to have a high cost of entry to prevent stacking them and overshadowing primary/secondary powers.

I find it amazing that tough/weave on a character would be "over powered" without boxing or kick.

Hm, out of curiosity did they ever think that allowing Pool Powers to function when a Kheldian was transformed would be over powered?
In fearful COH-less days

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13388 on: November 27, 2014, 02:58:37 PM »
Yeah I disagree there because I had more than a few characters that were too weak without tough and weave in multiple boss and AV situations. It was pretty much needed on
melee characters that didn't have enough resistance or a good self heal such as sr. And as we were seeing in incarnate content and much of the newer content... 45% defense just didn't cut it anymore.

Benchpresser

• Minion
« Reply #13389 on: November 27, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
Yeah I disagree there because I had more than a few characters that were too weak without tough and weave in multiple boss and AV situations. It was pretty much needed on
melee characters that didn't have enough resistance or a good self heal such as sr. And as we were seeing in incarnate content and much of the newer content... 45% defense just didn't cut it anymore.

It would have been better I think if they could have found a way to code the pool set so that Melee ATs could have skipped Punch and Kick, where Blasters, Defs etc had to take them- they were really wasted powers on melee-ers.  (The only toon I ever slotted and used Punch on was my SS Tank since I liked it a lil better than Jab- this is before the punchvoke buff)

Also- Incarnate raids... you yourself didn't need over 45% Defense (the Incarnate solo cap was 59% if I remember)... there were enough Barrier Destinies being chucked around as long as you stayed grouped you were safe.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13390 on: November 27, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
None of my SR Scrappers took Tough or Weave, although most did take Aid Self and use inspirations. Multiple bosses were never an issue and none of my melee types ever soloed AVs effectively compared to my other characters anyway. It is worth noting that my SR users weren't played at +4 x8, so that might be skewing my view of how necessary Tough and Weave were.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13391 on: November 27, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
You have to remember that when the game rolled out, the devs didn't think that stamina was a needed power.

Their definition of a "needed" power was much simpler than most of ours. Could you do the basic content in a reasonable time.

And simply stated, they were right. In I1 you could go into a mission and do it with only using rest a few times. Stamina was not needed, but the quality of gameplay it added was enormous. 

Same thing with I21. You could create just about any character and survive any content the game ever created without any of the pool powers with teaming and lots of patients. :) It's just that these powers combined with the IOs you could get had the ability to transform sets into machines of destruction.

Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13392 on: November 27, 2014, 04:46:18 PM »
I remember my first few weeks of play I was so frustrated with losing all my end everytime I used a couple of powers.  :P

Then some kind soul suggested I take stamina, and the heavens opened up! :o
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13393 on: November 27, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
I remember my first few weeks of play I was so frustrated with losing all my end everytime I used a couple of powers.  :P

Then some kind soul suggested I take stamina, and the heavens opened up! :o

I just remember every character just begging for level 20 when stamina opened up.

On the other hand, it did promote teaming. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13394 on: November 27, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
I just remember every character just begging for level 20 when stamina opened up.

On the other hand, it did promote teaming. :)

I really liked the flexibility of the teaming; you could team up and do more ambitious things, even if your build was relatively poor. And teaming worked well. My feeling is that most "modern" MMO's have treated teaming as purely an instanced content concept. The last few I tried handled open world teaming or quest-teaming very poorly. Can't find your party members if you get out of sight, hard to share quests or even see what the quests are your companions need, and even having open-world quest phasing make it impossible to stand in the same spot with a party member and see the same world. Or even see them. :o

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13395 on: November 27, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »

Some characters of mine would use tough to bolster certain resistances and also as an IO mule in some cases for the two +3def IO's.  Weave was also needed for some to reach the def cap in a few cases.
I spent time though with MIDS trying to make good def builds for some alts that did not include Tough/Weave simply because I didn't want to throw away a power slot for boxing or kick.
In fearful COH-less days

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13396 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:27 PM »

no kidding, if I showed my tank build you'd be surprised to know how quick incarnate enemies can drain my health. I've heard the only way to counter it is to +5=purple everything.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13397 on: November 28, 2014, 12:15:21 AM »
no kidding, if I showed my tank build you'd be surprised to know how quick incarnate enemies can drain my health. I've heard the only way to counter it is to +5=purple everything.

Yep my brutes and tanks all went in for some modifications to better face off against incarnate foes. 
They were already 45% or better in some areas but I was able to get them 50% or better in some areas.

I just find it hard to believe that they felt the fighting pool was overamped by removing the prequisite of boxing or kicking.
In fearful COH-less days

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #13398 on: November 28, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
Boxing wasn't totally useless.
When frankenslotting I'd put a bubble on boxing and then slot 2 Absolute Amazement's (the purple stun set) for an extra 4% recovery. I'd just buy the cheapest IO's in the set because I never used boxing anyway.
It would've been nice to do the same with kicking, but there wasn't a knockback purple set.
Speaking of which, might I suggest....
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13399 on: November 28, 2014, 03:57:32 AM »
I only used tough and weave, usually weave was used to cap out defenses that were nearly but not already soft-capped.  I didn't think that either was necessary though, often depended on the character and what I wanted to do with that character.  I often valued the leadership powers maneuvers and tactics over tough and weave on characters as I liked buffing the team up, maneuvers helped everyone a bit and 3-4 people with maneuvers active tended to greatly improve survivability.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.