Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7527846 times)

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #2960 on: July 04, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
I'd just like to point out that Iron Wolf's general idea on how things will go if successful involves establishing an open beta server well before any release of the game.

Hmmmm, anybody think there might be some capacity issues that would need addressing early in the process?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2961 on: July 04, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
Frankly I'd like to see the 'spiritual successor' add their assets as an expansion to CoX.

Then we would get the 'old' game back and get the 'new' world as a bonus.

NO! That way if anything happens to CoX yet again, we will still have somewhere to go! Absolutely not, do I want to see especially City of Titans linked with CoX. This is far too dangerous a strategy.

As far as the state of a reopened CoX, if this happens it will be a wee bit of a gaming miracle. If I lose [for instance] all those purple IOs that I paid real-world money for, c'est la vie. I can get them back. We cannot start looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Once more for emphasis: We cannot start looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2962 on: July 04, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Having EU servers would be nice, even if it's just two of them, one standard and one for RP, as it used to be. I recall there being very big differences in RP crowds in Union and Virtue, almost alien. And the French and German speaking servers seemed to decline after Paragon Studios said they aren't translating content anymore.

So, perhaps we could have 6 servers;

US RP
US PvP
US PvE
EU RP
EU PvP
EU PvE

what do you guys think? I'm not exactly knowledgeable of the US servers besides Virtue, so I'm unsure what each had as a community.

Why so many?

US PvE
EU PvE

PvP servers are a total waste of time as the PvP areas are all separate zones anyway.  As for RP (I say this as a primary RPer), we don't need a separate server, but we would pretty please if possible, like an EU server we can call home again!

HOWEVER...

Step #1 - Get the game back!  EVERYTHING else is secondary!

Tyrannical

• Minion
« Reply #2963 on: July 04, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
Why so many?

US PvE
EU PvE

PvP servers are a total waste of time as the PvP areas are all separate zones anyway.  As for RP (I say this as a primary RPer), we don't need a separate server, but we would pretty please if possible, like an EU server we can call home again!

HOWEVER...

All depends on how much the servers can handle, we may need more than just two, given that overflow happened quite regularly on some servers. I'm not sure how many we can expect right away, but six servers split between EU and US would be able to handle enough of a gathering from the get-go.

Should the original servers be part of the bargain however, it shouldn't be a serious issue.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2964 on: July 04, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
All depends on how much the servers can handle, we may need more than just two, given that overflow happened quite regularly on some servers. I'm not sure how many we can expect right away, but six servers split between EU and US would be able to handle enough of a gathering from the get-go.

Should the original servers be part of the bargain however, it shouldn't be a serious issue.

Hardware has improved since CoH went bye bye.  We'd be running on brand new servers with far more power than the old ones... You can bet they'd be virutalised as well, so spinning off another server if it's needed would take them literally minutes if they had the image prepped and ready.

Keep the costs down, start with minimal servers and spin up another if they go orange.  Certainly no more than 2 for US and 1 for EU initially.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:06:34 PM by FloatingFatMan »

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2965 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
I'd just like to point out that Iron Wolf's general idea on how things will go if successful involves establishing an open beta server well before any release of the game.

Hmmmm, anybody think there might be some capacity issues that would need addressing early in the process?
NOOOOOO no capacity issues( with lots of sarcasm)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #2966 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
Why so many?

US PvE
EU PvE

HOWEVER...

In all honesty an EU server would almost certainly consist of nothing more than putting an "EU" somewhere in the server name, so i don't object to it but i do think it's not entirely relevant. Things like specifically French and German servers make more sense since they're specifically aimed at accommodating people who don't speak English but do speak German or French. After the server merge i played occasionally on all servers and really only noticed the largest difference on the French and German servers due to my rudimentary knowledge of both. There were a few times i teamed with players who only knew Portugese on Guardian (i think, it was a while back); that was a bit more challenging for conversing, but actually doing missions was easy enough.

On a related note FF XIV has a system where basic phrases can be selected from a list that are automatically translated into the player's selected language. Implementing something like that for CoH with a dozen or so languages would be a nice feature for the new studio to add if the deal goes through.

I'd sell boy scout uniforms wearing nothing but a calender. I don't think I'd make much money doing that though.

I think people would have more questions than sales, however. Like "Where did all these boy scout uniforms come from?"
"You know how Native Americans allegedly used every part of the buffalo?"
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:18:19 PM by Nyx Nought Nothing »
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2967 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
NO! That way if anything happens to CoX yet again, we will still have somewhere to go! Absolutely not, do I want to see especially City of Titans linked with CoX. This is far too dangerous a strategy.

As far as the state of a reopened CoX, if this happens it will be a wee bit of a gaming miracle. If I lose [for instance] all those purple IOs that I paid real-world money for, c'est la vie. I can get them back. We cannot start looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Once more for emphasis: We cannot start looking a gift-horse in the mouth.

In any undertaking there is a risk or danger.

But there have been other 'places' to go, and they ALL smell of old gym socks. Even the one built by the original studio.
It is highly unlikely we will ever recapture what we had before the closure.

To acquire and retain the faithful, old guard as well as new blood will require more than republishing. It will take bold steps.

Desiring the old game only would ignore the fact that expectations have changed/risen.

Producing a new game only is a gamble that may be a bridge too far for some.

BUT the two concepts as one are a powerful combination that takes advantage of branding and expectation. A difficult and risky prospect, but a bold and exciting one.   :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #2968 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:28 PM »
WHAAATTTTTTT?  Even at the hopeful levels this is the most encouraging CoH news since....gahhh...I don't know when!   Thank you so much to those involved for your efforts.  My hopefulness levels are fully slotted.

Same here.  For some reason, the glowy sound comes to mind....

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #2969 on: July 04, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Hardware has improved since CoH went bye bye.  We'd be running on brand new servers with far more power than the old ones... You can bet they'd be virutalised as well, so spinning off another server if it's needed would take them literally minutes if they had the image prepped and ready.

Keep the costs down, start with minimal servers and spin up another if they go orange.  Certainly no more than 2 for US and 1 for EU initially.

New hardware doesn't help if the code isn't written to take advantage of it. You can have as many threads as you want in processor but if the game only uses one, then they won't help much.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #2970 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »
Frankly I'd like to see the 'spiritual successor' add their assets as an expansion to CoX.

Then we would get the 'old' game back and get the 'new' world as a bonus.

Surely there are other cities with heroes and villains to explore!

Realistically this may be an impossibility, but I can dream...

File it away into the impossible folder. CoT is its own creation as is VO although I have no real hopes that gets past the NCSoft/Cryptic ban hammer once they lift a finger and see the copy/paste fest that game is turning out to be. Plus, multiple companies working on the same thing just generally isn't a good idea. You get stuff like Diablo: Hellfire and its Starcraft like area.

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2971 on: July 04, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »
I'm still here ever lurking and I'm just staring.... COX getting unchomped? I'm almost afraid to hope, yet I want this so damn bad.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2972 on: July 04, 2014, 05:03:07 PM »
But there have been other 'places' to go, and they ALL smell of old gym socks. Even the one built by the original studio.
It is highly unlikely we will ever recapture what we had before the closure.

I am confused, you really think CoT using Unreal 4 is going to smell of "old gym socks"? 'Cause I don't. What I smell is that luxe aroma of NEW shiny stuff, embodied by a brand-new leather car interior. Yep, THIS is luxury. And I am liking it so far. Cant wait till beta.

My goal here is two separate games, controlled by two separate corporate entities, IN CASE something happens to one of them, we will not be completely helpless like we are now. I am extremely gun shy about putting all my eggs in one basket these days! I imagine many feel the same, but of course I don't know.

I can patronize the old AND the new! It all adds up to more fun than ever. This is not a zero-sum concept, having more than one game.

To acquire and retain the faithful, old guard as well as new blood will require more than republishing. It will take bold steps.

Probably. As long as this does not mean CoT rolling over and saying Ok, we give up. Here's all our stuff.

Desiring the old game only would ignore the fact that expectations have changed/risen.

Producing a new game only is a gamble that may be a bridge too far for some.

We have people in here basically saying that having to relevel their characters that they loved and lost is a bridge too far. *shrug* Well, that is their choice. The Faithful will be there with bells on! Me, I am going to be running around Mercy shouting "WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!" in Broadcast. I may even swim a lap all the way around Mercy like I used to do in the old days, so my level 4 could avoid mobs on the way to that "Kill all the Infected in this here warehouse" mission, which IIRC was set deeply into upper-level Mercy turf.

Risk is attached to everything, true. I don't want all of my eggs in one basket, in case one of my baskets [metaphorically] breaks. Risk-averse is me. So! If we get CoX back, cel-e-brate good times, c'mon!

But I will also welcome CoT with open arms and continue to support them.

Now, CO: I will agree that this game, while playable, does indeed smell of "old gym socks." My highest level character is about to ding 32, and it has been a long slow slog, helped along I admit by that most grindiest of recent discoveries for me, the "Alert." A team of players demolishes a short-term objective in utter silence.... yeah that's just great. The only decent community over there is the CoX channel. Which is how I found out about these events we are discussing....

Husband: So you got your game back.

Me, flying around the Desert: Not exactly.

Husband: Looks just like it to me.

Me: ....Not so much. You have no idea, how much 'not so much.' *sigh*

Comparing that game to CoX is like comparing a Volkswagon Beetle to a Lexus Sport Coupe.

CO compared to CoT will be Beetle vs. Bugatti Veyron.  8) CANT WAIT
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:08:28 PM by Illusionss »

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2973 on: July 04, 2014, 05:53:40 PM »
 A bridge to far... no.. a bridge id rather not cross if I dont have to.. however since I might have to.. I will cross it.. will I cross it as many times as I did before.. not likely...

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #2974 on: July 04, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
A bridge to far... no.. a bridge id rather not cross if I dont have to.. however since I might have to.. I will cross it.. will I cross it as many times as I did before.. not likely...

Aye. While I completely understand that I might have to re-start from scratch, I started playing about 2 months after launch, and never stopped, never took a break. It would take another decade to re-create all my original characters. My mains, however, would get re-rolled on Day 1 and I'd happily start in on decade 2. :)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2975 on: July 04, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
10  Get game back
20  goto 10
30  REM I don't mind the idea of starting over to throw money at our new overlords to get my account up to speed.  Could sell it back along with a special lifetime subscription fee.
40  REM Gimme the "reanimated" badge to show my support through it all.  Maybe with some temp power like 100% bonus to rech and unlimited end for 60 sec up every 30 min until lvl22
50  REM Just saying would love to have i23 back with all my stuff with 24 being polished, but whatever gets game first wins.
RUN
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2976 on: July 04, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Why so many?

US PvE
EU PvE

One called "Coffee&Cookies", the other called "Tea&Biscuits", then everyone knows exactly which one is for which community.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #2977 on: July 04, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
Husband: So you got your game back.

Me, flying around the Desert: Not exactly.

Husband: Looks just like it to me.

Divorce him.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2978 on: July 04, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
One called "Coffee&Cookies", the other called "Tea&Biscuits", then everyone knows exactly which one is for which community.

About 90% Americans have never, ever had a good cup of coffee though or even know what good coffee truely tastes like, so as a hardcore coffee drinker I resent the first name! :)  Now let me go fix myself some coffee and an Affogato(italian coffee drink).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #2979 on: July 04, 2014, 06:49:46 PM »
I just want to play. I'm a crafter and coming up with new ideas and character concepts was kinda my thing. I loved creating back stories as much as running around town. The leveling is always something nice to do but to play the game sigh I so miss...
This.  I don't care if I lose anything I had, but I would be very sad to lose the options I had at game close.  Crafting the character was my favorite part, and to have my hands tied by limited costumes, powers or ATs would suck really bad.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:06:10 PM by Thirty-Seven »