Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7527856 times)

Ultimate15

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #2940 on: July 04, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
There has to be some way for veteran players to get their stuff..  The game for me isnt just the city but is the experience I had with those creations in that city.

All the character slots I had open on Virtue ( i think all of them were open ). Im concerned I wouldnt be able to get all that stuff back..

People are expecting the game back the way it was.. They are expecting their original servers.. etc etc.. the community is excited which is good.. but like Ironwolf said the new ownership should everything be successful could go from hero to goat overnight..

I totally hear your plight and I understand 100%. However, I think the team that's working tirelessly to get us our game back would love to just wave a magic wand and make all our dreams/hopes/wishes come true and THEN some - but unfortunately, that's just not the reality of the situation. Beggars can't be choosers here people. We've all been hoping and yearning and giving our time/money to successor projects and such efforts as this one, but we're still very very LUCKY that we've even come this far in the process (and yes, all good things ALWAYS come with a dash of good luck - the cold, hard truth of life is that hard work alone will really only get you so far). We need to maintain a certain degree of realistic expectation and gratitude here.

...Also (and correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe IronWolf has stressed multiple, MULTIPLE times that the Titan Team are all ex-COHers who know the game and know that the players don't want to see the game changed. Now, what direction they take the game moving forward is anyone's guess really - but, as it's been said, step #1 - get the game back. I'm personally very much open to the idea of having to start fresh with my characters because I know that's better than not having anything at all - I'm also flexible to see what direction the game is taken in because I have every faith that the base root of the COH 'experience' will still be there. I don't want to make any grand/sweeping generalizations about our community, but I think that said 'feeling' is what really made the game so incredible to the majority of us. And I honestly and wholeheartedly believe that same slice of delicious 'superhero-pie' will still be there for most of you even if you don't have the same, like, thirteen different lvl 50's that you had before.

Also, <INSERT HUGE THANK YOU TO IRONWOLF AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY AMERICA>.
Viva la Virtue!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2941 on: July 04, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
 Let me make it clear again as I have several times already..

The most important thing is getting the game back.. clearly.. without question... 

Would I start over from scratch if that was the ONLY option given.. sure.. if I was starving and someone gave me okra which I cant stand.. I would eat them because I was starving.. However if you gave me a choice of that and some thing else I would eat anything else other than okra.

Now that being said My hope is that there is a way that can be worked out for long term veterans and people that invested a ton of time and energy to recoup what they lost. Is that the fault of the new ownership.. absolutely not.. should they have a gun pointed to their heads.. again absolutely not...

should they considers some options.. including continuing to negotiate with NC Soft AFTER the game is purchased for account data... yes they should..

should the considering using Sentinel Plus data.. yes they should..

should the considering the possibility of charging a feee (which they very well might have to) for the retrieval of account data.. yes they should..

They should consider ALL options and find out what works best for them and the community at large..

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #2942 on: July 04, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
I would sell calendars in a boy scout uniform if that could help raising money!!!

I'd sell boy scout uniforms wearing nothing but a calender. I don't think I'd make much money doing that though.

I think people would have more questions than sales, however. Like "Where did all these boy scout uniforms come from?"

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #2943 on: July 04, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
Well, it was said earlier that they are not getting the old data back, nor even a guarantee of the game code itself.

If they can't drop the game in I23 or so state then my interest bottoms out. I'll assume they make CoH 2 and at that point it will be in development for years and who knows what gets changed.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #2944 on: July 04, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Whats wrong with Okra? I love fried Okra!

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2945 on: July 04, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
I'd sell boy scout uniforms wearing nothing but a calender. I don't think I'd make much money doing that though.

I think people would have more questions than sales, however. Like "Where did all these boy scout uniforms come from?"

Selling calendars sucks.. did that as a boy scout.. Girl Scouts got cookies.. Cookies rocked..

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2946 on: July 04, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Whats wrong with Okra? I love fried Okra!

I like Okra about as much and Superman likes Kryptonite..

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2947 on: July 04, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
Heh. I've suddenly got the feeling that the new owners could find it very (VERY) lucrative to add significantly more powerful versions of XP / Windfall / Prestige boosters to the store.
P2W? Potentially. But would also allow players using them to rebuild their characters that much faster.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2948 on: July 04, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »
 For me its not getting them to 50.. thats easy.. if I can get a few PL guys together. rock some missions and Get all the toons back to 50... Thats the easy part..

Its all the IO's and Hami-O's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #2949 on: July 04, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »
If the purchasers get the game, will they replace it with a ver.2 or just upgrade it to a ver.2?

I'm not opposed to a newer game of the same ilk, but really want the old version to remain. Maybe some system that would allow us to move back and forth?

Perplexite

• New Efforts # 6,000!
  • Minion
« Reply #2950 on: July 04, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
Where do I send my money?!  8)

I agree that getting all my hami-os and purples back would be nice. But that's a "nice to have". Purples and hamios will drop again.

......I suppose all that base-fu I am responsible for would be more important for me. But hey. Clean slate means better base-fu. :D
@.Q on Union Server

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2951 on: July 04, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
Whether I get my old accounts or not, I am looking forward to ferreting out those story lines I never got to play.

That being said I do hope to get the accounts. I have several toons with 900+ badges each! Being lvl 50 is childs-play, but getting all the badges, now that was *super*work. :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2952 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »
And all this stuff happened while I was away from my PC....  ;D

So things from me on this:

1. Regardless of whether or not COH comes back, I will still play the "successor games" if they make it to publication. If there's one thing the shutdown taught me, is that we need more options because no game can last forever, even with the best of intentions.

2. In some ways, I think everyone starting over would be fairer and more equitable for everyone involved. If we want new blood-- and I think everyone agrees that COH will need new players in addition to returnings vets-- then having everyone on an equal footing at start up would be a good thing. IMO, at least.

3. I fully acknowledge The 'Ko as the Supreme Queen of COH videos, but with all due respect I think the perfect video for a COH return has already been made. It would just need an announcement of COH as an end credit:

"Unity" by Angelis Animi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyn_YuMLSNc

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2953 on: July 04, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »
A question for the techies out there.

How would we log into the game, when it comes back? Would we use the same client program that we used before? If so, would the game still have the same server address(es) to log into? If the address(es) would be different, how would we tell the client where to look for the new server(s)? Would a new client, or at least a launcher, have to be written and downloaded?

HOW would we get back into Paragon City?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2954 on: July 04, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
A launcher would be needed and same client would work.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2955 on: July 04, 2014, 03:20:35 PM »
A question for the techies out there.

How would we log into the game, when it comes back? Would we use the same client program that we used before? If so, would the game still have the same server address(es) to log into? If the address(es) would be different, how would we tell the client where to look for the new server(s)? Would a new client, or at least a launcher, have to be written and downloaded?

HOW would we get back into Paragon City?

Im pretty sure this can be worked out.. I am thinking providing a purchase happens that it will be months before a open beta.. and then some beta time.. and then an official relaunch..

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2956 on: July 04, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #2957 on: July 04, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »

1. Regardless of whether or not COH comes back, I will still play the "successor games" if they make it to publication. If there's one thing the shutdown taught me, is that we need more options because no game can last forever, even with the best of intentions.

2. In some ways, I think everyone starting over would be fairer and more equitable for everyone involved. If we want new blood-- and I think everyone agrees that COH will need new players in addition to returnings vets-- then having everyone on an equal footing at start up would be a good thing. IMO, at least.

3. I fully acknowledge The 'Ko as the Supreme Queen of COH videos, but with all due respect I think the perfect video for a COH return has already been made. It would just need an announcement of COH as an end credit:

Frankly I'd like to see the 'spiritual successor' add their assets as an expansion to CoX.

Then we would get the 'old' game back and get the 'new' world as a bonus.

Surely there are other cities with heroes and villains to explore!

Realistically this may be an impossibility, but I can dream...
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #2958 on: July 04, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »

AbsoLUTELY SECONDED!!!!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #2959 on: July 04, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
Heh. I've suddenly got the feeling that the new owners could find it very (VERY) lucrative to add significantly more powerful versions of XP / Windfall / Prestige boosters to the store.
P2W? Potentially. But would also allow players using them to rebuild their characters that much faster.

I utterly agree :D