Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7293317 times)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13440 on: November 30, 2014, 04:05:27 AM »
Used stamina on every single toon every built.. even those with Quick Recovery.. you can never have too much Stamina.

Then on top of that, slot Cardiac into the Alpha slot.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13441 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:27 AM »
Just so you know, I was talking about how Sonic/sonic interacted with the defender inherent. The Defender end discount was just huge when your team took 10% or so damage and you basically could blast for free. It was a special benefit that really only applied to SR defenders.
Every other defender primary had ways of negating their own inherent while trying to keep the team upright.

Ahhh, your refering to vigilance.  Problem though was often there was someone else who did restore hp, or your teammates were paranoid and made sure they were at full all the time with green pills.  That was my experience anyhow.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13442 on: November 30, 2014, 05:23:00 AM »
Then on top of that, slot Cardiac into the Alpha slot.

Cardiac did not exist in the pre-inherent fitness days.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13443 on: November 30, 2014, 05:39:04 AM »
Ahhh, your refering to vigilance.  Problem though was often there was someone else who did restore hp, or your teammates were paranoid and made sure they were at full all the time with green pills.  That was my experience anyhow.

You just needed a group of vets like The Guard on Infinity. Anyone playing scrap/blast/dom/troll/brute/etc was on scrapperlock the whole time due to the res and -res I was handing out plus their own awesomeness. Only the person playing tank was screaming "AAAARRRRGGGHHH! I'm gonna... oh wait. I'll live till the next round. Good enough."
A few seconds buffing and then I got to play blaster myself.

Like I said, it was something pretty special with sonic/sonic defender. Creating a whole team who gets scrapperlock was standard operating procedure with that char.

Da** I wanna play him now... adds to list of characters to recreate. I'm gonna need more slots. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Groundbreaker

• Minion
« Reply #13444 on: November 30, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
My first 50 was a Regen scrapper. One of the first questions I asked, in game to help with my build, was "Do I need Stamina if I already have QR?" the answer I got was "No but you should take it." So that's what I did. Once they were both 3 slotted with End mod I never worried about end again. Never used an end reduction enhancement (Unless it was part of a set) on any of my powers and the only time I ever worried about endurance was against carnies and sappers etc. Was it necessary? No. Did it make me feel awesome? Heck yes.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #13445 on: November 30, 2014, 01:23:17 PM »
This day, 2 years ago, was a really sh**ty day.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13446 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »

Amen, brother.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13447 on: November 30, 2014, 01:54:57 PM »

Amen to that.

I always miss the game so much more this time of year, through about April. Probably because it was cold out and I played it more. I want to be playing CoH soooo badly.

But all I can do right now is wait and hope that the deal goes through so I can be back in Atlas Park once again.

Sad day.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13448 on: November 30, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
Lament.

Azrael.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13449 on: November 30, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
I had an ice ice blaster.

I tried a non-stamina build as an experiment.  (End and sometimes double end reducers and 3 end reds on toggles...)  I'd almost got it to the point where the end bar didn't shift down too dramatically.  But would...over time if I was trigger happy.

The stamina build was 'smoother' and had less knees for rests between mobs.  But the bar was up and down a lot more because, of course, I used less end reds.

I remember my pre-Ed En/En blaster non-stamina build experiment.  It was a disaster as I had 'perma-hasten.'

Back to stamina I went.  (Had to do the Volta respect trial...)

End and Quick Recovery, 3 slotted each were not enough for the Claws Regen scrapper I had.

And 3 end reds on Quills or Focused Acc weren't enough either... :P

I had a SS/Shield Brute.  The stamina wasn't enough.  End Proc' helps...

...but I had to take incarnate cardiac to make it truly an unstoppable machine.  And Rage and hasten would still have 'end' drops were you'd have to be momentarily 'mindful.'

Stamina.  'Not' essential.  (But it's telling that the devs put it in as an inherent for a superhero - which I'd long argued for.  You're a super hero, right? :P )  Or impossible to live without.

But when you had it you wondered how you survived without it.  A 'quality of life' thing. :)

And for 'this is how we roll' teams then IO'd out configs certainly helped.

I remember in the early days of blasting.  RA would be like life giving oxygen to a trigger happen en blaster... :)

Azrael.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13450 on: November 30, 2014, 03:57:59 PM »
Two years, eh?

Well, given work tomorrow morning, I can't stay up to 3 a.m. tonight in remembrance.  :(

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13451 on: November 30, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »
comment basis was: I miss coh, I want my tank back, I hope they post something about it later today, but I guess the 9th is good too. other topic omitted because GF said so.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:46:49 PM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13452 on: November 30, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
Try running a pre IO spines/dark scrapper without stamina, I ran 9 or 10 toggles and not even slotting for end and stamina fixed that, I duod with a kin most of the time.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #13453 on: November 30, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
Try running a pre IO spines/dark scrapper without stamina...
So far so good. Onward and upward!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13454 on: November 30, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
Try running a pre IO spines/dark scrapper without stamina, I ran 9 or 10 toggles and not even slotting for end and stamina fixed that, I duod with a kin most of the time.

Even I'd say that would indeed be insanity without stamina.  I mentioned some things were not very practical without stamina, that combo is closer to an outright "Awesome yet impractical" build.  Powerful, yes, but stop having fun guys will dismiss it as trash because while it's AoE is insane, it's just to endurance intensive.

Some combos were just impractical, thats an impractical combo.  Not one i'd ever use, since there are things that are far more, well, practical :).

Edit: I could see making a level 50 spin/dark armor practical without a kin; get ageless in the incarnate powers and get it to the top tier.  Go for the path for maximum recovery.  Don't worry about cardiac, go for musculature in the alpha slot.  Tier 4 ageless provides such a massive amount of endurance/second that it's impossible to run out with, even in it's weakest state your getting the recovery of a speed boost and half the time your getting far more so that'd probably solve the end problems of running such an insane build.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13455 on: November 30, 2014, 09:21:34 PM »
Even I'd say that would indeed be insanity without stamina.  I mentioned some things were not very practical without stamina, that combo is closer to an outright "Awesome yet impractical" build.  Powerful, yes, but stop having fun guys will dismiss it as trash because while it's AoE is insane, it's just to endurance intensive.

Some combos were just impractical, thats an impractical combo.  Not one i'd ever use, since there are things that are far more, well, practical :).

Edit: I could see making a level 50 spin/dark armor practical without a kin; get ageless in the incarnate powers and get it to the top tier.  Go for the path for maximum recovery.  Don't worry about cardiac, go for musculature in the alpha slot.  Tier 4 ageless provides such a massive amount of endurance/second that it's impossible to run out with, even in it's weakest state your getting the recovery of a speed boost and half the time your getting far more so that'd probably solve the end problems of running such an insane build.

These stop having fun guys you speak of just share a different play style you know.  In fact, to them.  You are the stop having fun guy.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13456 on: November 30, 2014, 09:40:32 PM »
These stop having fun guys you speak of just share a different play style you know.  In fact, to them.  You are the stop having fun guy.

Word
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13457 on: November 30, 2014, 11:00:30 PM »

No to a stop having fun guy your always the scrub/noob :P.  A stop having fun guy is a jerk that believes if you play any playstyle different than them, you have only your inferior skills to blame, otherwise you'd play exactly like them.  Fire/kin controllers were often stop having fun guys, as were arrogant pvpers in the pvp 1.0 days.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys

I was just pointing out how impractical dark/spines was.  It's a pure AoE build that has to many toggles and costs a ton of endurance, its balanced by its endurance cost, but for general 8x soloing, it's not very practical without a ton of extra endurance aids.  It'd be bad for the missions I tended to play, as I tended to go up against malta and arachnos regularly.  For fighting lots of easier mobs sure, dark/spines in many ways is an optimized build for that.  It aint perfect, but no build in the game was perfect.  But it is in the "Awesome yet impractical" category, due to the end cost being so high, so it's not something i'd use for general play, understand?

Just saying the build is impractical, there was a reason the shfg's went to the fire/kin controller.  Thats actually a fairly practical build :/.

I had the same view about some purple enhancement-needing builds, they were theoretically awesome but not practical.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AwesomeButImpractical

"It's awesome, it's powerful.  But it's also completely useless."

Another example of awesome yet impractical; every tier 9 nuke that had an endurance crash.  Nearly everyone abandoned them for a reason :/.  Especially in incarnate trials when judgement came out.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13458 on: November 30, 2014, 11:04:11 PM »
Also never, ever immedietly accuse someone of being a stop having fun guy so quickly.  I threw no accusations here anyone was a stop having fun guy in this particular moment of discussion.

Now, am I saying no one here should play spines/dark?  No, just saying why I wouldn't touch it.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13459 on: November 30, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
As in, you only healed?  Eh, good luck getting on my team and having anything to do cause if it was a "full time job" then you'd be waiting around doing, well, nothing on the kinds of teams I'd end up on.  I always had the team buffed up more than enough to ensure healing wasn't necessary.

Countless threads talking about people who play the Holy trinity ruin games.  Countless threads about how people who do things differently ruin the game.  Some people like the Holy Trinity it provides roles for each person to excel at.  Some people like min/maxing. 

As a person who enjoys doing those things I frequently find those subjective posts coming off as objectives in that they aren't fun and people should stop doing them because they ruin games.

Fire/kin controllers were often stop having fun guys, as were arrogant pvpers in the pvp 1.0 days

Some people enjoy being arrogant pvpers.  Its their right as a gamer.  They bought the game and can play however they find it enjoyable.

I am not throwing the stop having fun guy like its an insult.  And it certainly isn't a derogatory like you suggested in the above post.

I am saying the truth.  To people like me who enjoy other games Holy trinity, to people who enjoy being a fire/kin in PvP.  You are coming off as a stop having fun guy because you don't think what they are doing is fun.  So there for it isn't fun.

If you don't like doing those things then don't do them.  But trying to convince us all that people like that ruin games is exactly the same as the people you are talking about thinking others are inferior for not playing their way.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:27:29 PM by Taceus Jiwede »