Author Topic: Favorite combat power?  (Read 15345 times)

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: Favorite combat power?
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »
Aww man, I have to pick just one? I can't do that!

The shortlist:
Wormhole - See that mob? They're over here now, with this mob. Have fun. (Alternately: See that mob you're fighting? Now they're way over there, sucks to be you huh.)
Propel - Here, have this forklift.
Lightning Rod (Also Shield Charge) - Because now I am over there and everything in that general area is dead.
Rise of the Phoenix - Oh, you killed me? Guess it's explosion o'clock! Also because I killed someone in an arena match with it once which was hilarious.
Fallout (Also Power of the Phoenix) - Oh, you killed someone else now? Guess it's explosion o'clock again!
Speed boost (Also Siphon Speed and Super Speed) - Because zooooooom!
Any Judgement power - Pow, now the entire room is dead. Especially Pyro Judgement before they fixed the graphics bug where you'd toss it and it'd spawn the explosion visual effect on every mob hit. Because throwing a giant fireball and having the whole room explode at once was just cool.
Assault Bot - Actually all the robots and to a lesser extent all the mastermind primaries, but mostly the assault bot because here, have a faceful of missiles.
Assassin's Strike - Mostly the Street Justice version after they made it usable in combat. Because WHAM, and now you're dead.
Confuse - Just the mechanic, in general. I wish more games had it, because hey you go attack your friend.
Ice Slick, and Ice Patch - Because watching mobs flopping helplessly on the ground like fish out of water is hilarious.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:02 AM »
Oh man, I loved confusing Embalmed Vahzilosk and sicking them on their friends
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 07:53:55 AM »
Siphon Life... and pretty much everything in Dark Melee tbh.-

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »
I was a big confuse/deceive fan.  Nothing like recruiting uncontrolled "pets" from your enemies.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
Probably EM Pulse for me... It was flashy, quick to fire, and rendered most foes helpless for an extended time. Add a ppm hold proc to it and bam even most bosses were held by it!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
Howling Twilight, it was a stun, slow, debuff, rez and all in a dark wrapper.

Now mix in waterblast.....
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:06:21 PM by Ironwolf »

Allotrion

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:59 PM »
So many good powers to pick from but since the moment Water Blast was released, Geyser became one of my favorites, if not tops. 

Then again, Seeds of Confusion was just so OP that it's definitely top 3.  Oh wait, combat power...does SoC count?

Lightning Storm is definitely up there.  My own personal bodyguard.  A lightning filled bodyguard.  Zap your a$$ and fry your brain if you get too close kind of bodyguard.  Muahaha.   ;D

Oh, and Crushing Uppercut.  It was good on any archetype that could take it but it was just  :o :o on a Stalker.  Oh myyy!  That was a thing of beauty.  AS followed by a Crit Crushing Uppercut.  Dead.  Like really, really dead.

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
Knockout blow.

The sound effect made it sound like it was going to hurt. Not to mention the animation was the right amount of cheese. Not overdone not underdone, just the perfect amount that I have yet to see get done to that level of perfection* in any other game fist melee set.

Plus one. It was my all time favorite, and I used to love sticking minions into the ceiling of offices, warehouse, caves....Anything that had a ceiling really.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Knockout blow. The sound effect made it sound like it was going to hurt. Not to mention the animation was the right amount of cheese. Not overdone not underdone, just the perfect amount that I have yet to see get done to that level of perfection* in any other game fist melee set.
The best knockout blows I have seen being dealt were curiously when under Rage crash. Nothing like hearing a blow heavy like a truck coming, aaaaand... doing 1-10 damage, even though the mob was still flying !

I prefered [Stone Melee.Seismic Smash] though. Hit like a Knockout Blow, but far faster to dish out. Seemed much faster to dispatch a mob, especially since it looked like Super Strengh's Haymaker from afar.

My prefered power however was [Stone Melee.Fault]. Especially with a couple Kins behind the brute. Nothing like keeping mobs on their soft end by shoving your foot in the earth and cracking the earth to under their feet. It also created huge cookies when used on airborne opponents ^^

I actually went AE farming just to get my Stone/Fire Brute out. Had so much fun smashing all these mobs to pieces with Stone Melee.
Yeeessss....

Trip

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Foot stomp...without a doubt.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:42 PM »
Total Focus.

Yeah, it was slow. Yeah, the mob would probably be dead by the time I landed. Yeah, the stun had been nerfed.

But it was just sooooo much fun to watch. :D
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 04:42:59 PM »
Man it's hard to pick one.  For a long time Ice Slick was my favorite, just for the way it turned the battle around.  But I also adored Knockout Blow; although some folks didn't like the long animation, I appreciated the extra time spent anticipating the big hit (plus, it gave me time to say "Here it comes, Khan," out loud).

I came late to Stone Melee, but oh boy Seismic Smash was great (and Fault, paired with Obsidian Shield, was perma-stun, never mind the knockdown.)

I'm also a fan of Rain of Arrows and Blazing Arrow.  And sometimes Sniper Blast, with Boost Range, was hysterical from high altitude.

For one that hasn't been mentioned yet, Ripper from Spines.  I loved the flip and the BOOM knockdown.

For appearances, I loved Storm Kick on a female character -- the epitome of easy grace, yet powerful.  And Dual Blades' Typhoon's Edge was the other most beautiful power.

I have to say I liked Lightning Rod a lot more when paired with Shield Charge and Thunder Strike.  BOOM, BOOM, BOOM is better than just BOOM.  :)

Perhaps my all-time favorite was Lightning Storm at the top of a stairway.  It would repeatedly throw enemies back down the stairs onto their backsides every time they tried to climb up toward me, and it wasn't too hard to keep two of them up continuously.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 05:32:57 PM »
The original Energy Transfer. There was nothing like super-speeding towards a half dead enemy with that queued up. It was like a super-powered clothesline.  ;D

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 07:52:48 PM »
It's a cross between Burn and Carrion Creepers.

I have had :-\ several Fire Armor characters who loved Burn. It was the bread and butter patch of you're about to die now. Glorious and effortless.

Carrion Creepers, on the other hand, were chaos incarnate. Throw those down on a huge mob of enemies and hell just breaks out. Enemies fall, damage numbers tick like crazy, and the patch just grows and grows...until they're all dead, and it follows you to the next mob to begin anew.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
Foot stomp was awesome.  Also, Focus with the claw set, coupled with Air Superiority was a win/win with keeping baddies knocked down.

Can't wait to play again....

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:53 AM »
Ice Slick was my favorite power, and probably the reason why I mained a controller. The ice slick + freezing rain combo was just so, so sick. I loved the sound of an enemy hitting the ice, and completely incapacitating an entire mob of enemies was incredibly satisfying. After ice slick, I never understood why ice control was so underrated and so underplayed.
"What do you think, everyone?"

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 03:31:17 AM »
Oh man, I loved confusing Embalmed Vahzilosk and sicking them on their friends

Confusion and all of it's variations FTW!

How to deal with those pesky Malta sappers? -- Confuse them and watch the fun.
Need some cheap laughs? -- Confuse a Tsoo Sorceror and watch them fly.
Need to sneak past someone but don't have stealth? -- Confuse them and they'll wave hi as you stroll past.
Need a boss softened up a bit? -- Confuse their minions and let them do the dirty work for you.
Oh, I became way too addicted to that power. I'm so bad that, to this day, I look for something like it in EVERY game I play now. Sadly, it doesn't show up that often.

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
oh man, I never thought of using confuse as a stealth ability. and I never got the opportunity to  confuse-a-tsoo and let them whirwind one another :gonk:
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 05:20:22 PM »
I have had :-\ several Fire Armor characters who loved Burn. It was the bread and butter patch of you're about to die now. Glorious and effortless.

I had a Fire/Fire/Pyre Tanker whose schtick involved flying as much as possible, and only touching down to set off a Burn patch.  The idea was she was so hot she set the ground on fire by contact.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
I'm also a fan of Rain of Arrows and Blazing Arrow.  And sometimes Sniper Blast, with Boost Range, was hysterical from high altitude.

I found that Rain of Arrows required a lot of care on teams to make it work well, because of the long animation; if you weren't careful, the fight would shift out of the AoE between the time you started it and the time it hit, or even finish before it went off. Some fights, like the ambushes in the second mission of the ITF, could be set up easier than others, because you had a target-rich environment that was harder to take down.

But I have to admit that I loved Snipe and LRM on my AR/Nrg/Mun Blaster; I had LRM tricked out with three Dmg/Rng HOs, two Accs, and a Rech, so with Boost Range up I could drop Aoe hell into a cluster of targets I could barely see. And Full Auto and Flamethrower were awesome with Boost Range, too; I could reasonably expect to be able to stealth up near a spawn of even-level Nemesis minions and Lts, hit Boost Range, Build Up, and uncork FA, then Flamethrower, get everyone in the spawn, and move on to my next targets (after resting; standing there spraying bullets would make me a prime target, and I'd eat about half my HP before the spawn went down).

[EDIT: Fixing bbcode markup ~Agge]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:31:35 PM by Aggelakis »