Author Topic: Where do we stand now?  (Read 31571 times)

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
Where do we stand now?
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
I just made a quick glance of the recent posts looking for where we are on brainstorming, making pitches to the gaming industry, sacrificing children to dark gods, to get COH going again. I don't post often but I check the forums two or three times a week to keep up with things and see if there is anything I can contribute to.

If I missed some obvious post please forgive me but, outside of the attempts at making a spiritual successor, where do we stand now on trying to revive COH?
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
Re: Where do we stand now?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:37:28 PM »
I think we're in "Waiting for Google to do something.  If they do something" mode, while the TF Hail Mary folks are writing up their next pitch.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's a very good chance that even if Google (or any of the TF Hail Mary targets) decides to buy CoH to bring it back and somehow gets NCSoft to cooperate and sell, we won't hear about it until it's all finalized, with the i's dotted and t's crossed, which could take months.

There's also the various emulator projects, but they're being kept on the down-low.  I don't know how or even if they're coming along (particularly the I24 emulator, which is the one I'm more interested in; the I3 emulator doesn't have a Mac-compatible install).

... bear in mind that someone may come along and correct me on anything or everything I just said at any moment. :)

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
So the official pitch to Google has been made? Is that the only one that has possibility or are there others?
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:04:12 AM »
So the official pitch to Google has been made? Is that the only one that has possibility or are there others?
Don't forget to help out and send real mail.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »

I believe the team has other possibilities in mind, but they are trying to contact one at a time to give them a chance to take action, if they so choose.  Remember that even if we pique the interest of a buyer, there is still no guarantee that NCSoft will be willing to sell.

TG is right: we probably won't find out of any of our Hail Mary attempts worked until such time as someone concludes a successful deal.  For all we know, Disney could actually have been convinced by our first pitch but could be getting the same cold shoulder that NCSoft gave us.

Oh and I think I missed the thread asking us to sacrifice children to get CoH back.  Does an 18-yr-old still count as a child?  :D

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:00:20 PM »
Ill be honest.. I think the one pitch at a time thing might not be the way to go.. Corporations tend to move sooooo slowly I think a better approach might have been to do a few at a time..

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
Good God, man. We're only four people at the best of times. The last pitch we were down to two :p
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Heroid

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
I know that a lot of time and thought and planning has been put in by the TFHM team.  We have to be patient.  There are a lot of people volunteering their time and resources for various efforts to either bring us back CoH or to deliver us a "spiritual successor".  I salute those efforts and the hard-working folk who are doing the hard work.

aka, Heroid

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 01:47:47 AM »
Just a random thought.

It would be a good thing if another pitch wasn't sent out. Why?

Cause that means another one wasn't needed..... No news is good news and "we're about to send out the next pitch" isn't exactly good news. Think about it lol.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:59 AM »
Please do recall - the last pitch was REQUESTED by Google.

All of the other pitches were sent in hopes of a good reception - Google wanted it, vast difference from a cold call to a request for information.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 07:55:38 AM »
Please do recall - the last pitch was REQUESTED [agreed to be read by someone at] Google.

All of the other pitches were sent in hopes of a good reception - Google  [Someone who works at Google] wanted it, vast difference from a cold call to a request for information.

Fixed. Not trying to be negative, but the wording is a bit misleading. I believe it was taken out of curtsey more than anything due to the relationship someone had with the individual. For all we know, it was simply a gesture of respect, rather than an outright 'no'.

This isn't a case of strangers contacting Google and having them go, "Oh, wow, that looks interesting.. sure, send it to us and we'll have a look."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:52:51 PM by Sleepy Wonder »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
For a pitch that was "requested" it sure is silent about what is up with it.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:29:32 AM »
For a pitch that was "requested" it sure is silent about what is up with it.

Exactly how quickly do you expect them to make this decision?
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »
Exactly how quickly do you expect them to make this decision?

Usually "requested" pitches get a little bit more updates within two weeks or so, even if a rock solid decision isnt reached. By a month, usually the sender can call and see what is the status for a "requested" pitch.

Remember this wasnt a cold mailed pitch that usually just go straight to the bottom of the pile and forgotten. If someone requested it, it means usually someone was expecting it and waiting for it to come in.

Remember one of the last steps in a business pitch is the follow up, which is why many actually failt. People forget to check the status on them and it's actually forgotten, or the business think it aint important since no one if checking, or it's defunct.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:17:42 PM by JaguarX »

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
Usually "requested" pitches get a little bit more updates within two weeks or so, even if a rock solid decision isnt reached. By a month, usually the sender can call and see what is the status for a "requested" pitch.

And, for all we know, the core of the TFHM team could be dealing with all that right now. What is it with Americans that they think they need to know the inner workings of everything the second it happens? The pitch could have been ignored, or they could be dealing with the finalization of the purchase.

Fact of the matter is, we don't know. And there is no point in us badgering them and telling them how to do their job.

Remember one of the last steps in a business pitch is the follow up, which is why many actually failt. People forget to check the status on them and it's actually forgotten...

And I am sure that they are doing everything they can to keep up with it. These people aren't idiots, and the pitches they put together are painstakingly thought out and put together.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
And, for all we know, the core of the TFHM team could be dealing with all that right now. What is it with Americans that they think they need to know the inner workings of everything the second it happens? The pitch could have been ignored, or they could be dealing with the finalization of the purchase.

Fact of the matter is, we don't know. And there is no point in us badgering them and telling them how to do their job.

And I am sure that they are doing everything they can to keep up with it. These people aren't idiots, and the pitches they put together are painstakingly thought out and put together.

I wasnt badgering them. I just said I found it strange of the silence. One day there were nearly ab unch of post every day about it then silence. Someone asked a question and I answered. That is all. Lets not turn a simple statement into something that it is not.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 01:11:10 AM »
Again, silence is not surprising.  If I'm understanding what has been said on the matter correctly, the pitch apparently says to contact Brian Clayton or other former Paragon management, not to contact Team Wildcard directly, so we wouldn't be hearing about it.

And if negotiations had started between Google and NCSoft, then we definitely wouldn't be hearing about it.

So in this case, no news is actually good news.  If Google didn't contact Brian, VV (who hasn't been around here in a while because of other more pressing issues, but I think the rest of TFHM is in touch with her) would be able to tell us that (and even that would only mean they hadn't contacted him yet).

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
Again, silence is not surprising.  If I'm understanding what has been said on the matter correctly, the pitch apparently says to contact Brian Clayton or other former Paragon management, not to contact Team Wildcard directly, so we wouldn't be hearing about it.

And if negotiations had started between Google and NCSoft, then we definitely wouldn't be hearing about it.

So in this case, no news is actually good news.  If Google didn't contact Brian, VV (who hasn't been around here in a while because of other more pressing issues, but I think the rest of TFHM is in touch with her) would be able to tell us that (and even that would only mean they hadn't contacted him yet).
ah right that explains it. Forgot about the Brian Clayton part. Yeah, they would contact him as the POC. Makes sense.

Well I guess we wait and see until next year or so before sending out another a pitch to someone else.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 02:38:32 AM »
What is it with Americans that they think they need to know the inner workings of everything the second it happens?

What do you expect in a world of fast food (take-out and microwaved), instant global communication and the 24-hour news-cycle channel? (I find myself checking in here several times a DAY, hoping that a bit of good cheer has been posted.) Couple that with the average citizen's lack of knowledge regarding corporate deal-making processes, and we end up hoping that this sort of thing can be finalized inside of a week. And that's not including late arrivals, who might have missed any early posts that tell us that it'd likely take weeks or months for us to hear anything about a deal - positive or negative.

Someone at Google asked for the pitch, and the fact that we didn't hear anything, shortly after it was sent out, means that it wasn't met with a firm "Not interested". If NCSoft doesn't plan to hold on to the IP forever, we at least heard something before the Google pitch (if I recall aright) to the effect that they were playing hard-to-get, asking an exorbitant sum for the IP. So it could be that Google is interested in CoH, and is working on getting NCSoft to be more reasonable. And negotiations do take time, regrettably for our nerves and withdrawal symptoms.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
What is it with Americans that they think they need to know the inner workings of everything the second it happens?

What is with people that think they can make huge generalizations based on things that people from all over the world do?

The desire to hear a long awaited answer for some hope that can come off as impatience because either a lack of understanding of the business or someone missed a post is not an american trait it's a human trait.  Yes the post does say that they wont contact us, and of course these things take time, longer then most people are even guessing.  It's more likely years before we would hear anything, if we even ever do.  I am happy for TFHM and all the hard work they do and so is almost everyone here, but that doesn't mean some people aren't going to get impatient because that is what happens when people have been waiting to hear about their favorite game.  People from America, Europe and other countries.

You generalize America saying that we want to know everything every second it happens, and then turn around and say that people need to know how these things work and accept that they take time.  I agree that people need to accept that these things take time, but I don't get how you can say that and then speak down about an entire nation for trying to know everything.