Author Topic: NCSoft obviously doesnt care about us  (Read 45246 times)

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
NCSoft obviously doesnt care about us
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:16 AM »
The game(s) associated with this NCSOFT Master Account are no longer available. Please create a new NC Account.

This is what i got when i tried to log in to the NCSoft master account my City of Heroes game was on...... so now just because they get rid of one game i have to create a new account all over again???????? forget that

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: NCSoft obviously doesnt care about us
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:07:35 AM »
The game(s) associated with this NCSOFT Master Account are no longer available. Please create a new NC Account.

This is what i got when i tried to log in to the NCSoft master account my City of Heroes game was on...... so now just because they get rid of one game i have to create a new account all over again???????? forget that

Why on earth would you WANT to?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 04:25:57 AM »

dang.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:30:11 AM »
I never bought into the scorched earth philosophy where NC$oft is concerned; I just don't really care for any of their other games. I had fun with GW1 until it wasn't anymore, then I stopped playing it. Nothing else in their stable looks remotely interesting. I really couldn't give a flying f@#$ what they do with my account, as I no longer need it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 04:30:53 AM »
Somehow they fubared up my account last week.  But I had Guild Wars and Aion attached to my account, so I went through support to get it working again.   They, being non-douchebag management, were very helpful.   I did notice that there were no CoX games attached to the account anymore.   

It would not surprise me if they deleted our game data.   Oh, I hate those bastards so much.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 04:36:16 AM »
as far as im concerned, NC$oft can go jump out the nearest airlock all i care.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »
Until my avatar can, once again, stand in Atlas Park and flatten a Hellion's nose, NCSoft and I have nothing to talk about.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

primeknight

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
It would not surprise me if they deleted our game data.   Oh, I hate those bastards so much.

Yeah, if our accounts are gone, you're probably right  :-\

Oh well, at least we have icon now.  We don't need their servers or accounts for that. 

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
Until my avatar can, once again, stand in Atlas Park and flatten a Hellion's nose, NCSoft and I have nothing to talk about.

This.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
The last time I accessed my NCSoft account was to pull my CC information out of it. That was, oh, about a day or two before shutdown. I've kept a link for it on my computer (just in case, you understand) but it looks like I won't be needing that any longer.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
 It was obvious they didnt care when the shut the game down. My hope is now for them to sell the IP. If not I will wait until someone gets an emulator running or one of the three Projects succeeds. Until then I am going to go enjoy real life. As much as I miss CoH my being upset over it and pining away over it isnt going to change anything. I am going to enjoy life.. have fun.. and think fondly of a game I love..

NC Soft will never ever ever ever get another dime from me.. EVER.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies.

Whether you or I or anyone else would want to give NCSoft another dime is immaterial to the point being made.  There may be a studio that makes such an impressive game, that unfortunately NCSoft is in control of... or that in the future, NCSoft reverses course and becomes less asshole...  whichever the case is, there may yet be a day where we'd want to get into that game. 

The point of their requiring a new account to play that new toy when you already had one in the first place is the very weirdest thing a company can do... especially in less than a year.  And they have free games, not requiring one red cent, so there's that, we could play those because we want to.

If there's anything that proves NCSoft is trying like hell to shrink back to a Korea/Asian only company, foregoing and forsaking accounts for only being used for CoH is definitely a smoking gun.

Man.  I just don't GET that.  That's just... oddball.

---

So, I went there, and verified it myself.  I had to reset my password, it did, verifed I'm me, got in... bam.  Create a new account.  o.0

Ok, so here's the real deal.  Apparently, the old account ways of having a specialized account name were still allowed, but sometime ago, NCSoft decided that they weren't gonna do this anymore, and require you to sign in with your email, sorta like Netflix or Pandora or such.

BUT, the old, grandfathered accounts, such as CoH, were left in there as a legacy thing.

As soon as they purged the game from their records, and you had no other games to play on that account, the account effectively died right then.

The 'create new account' now requires you to have your email.  That's all.   It's not some conspiracy, it's a washing away of an old system they'd rather you didn't use anymore.

Mostly I see it in Aion boards, and not a lot of that, but if you really wanted to play Lineage or whatever, you can contact support and get your old account moved to the new one... However, if it says "you have no games that work anymore" there's no point to this, just start over.  I think I had Exteel and Autoassault once, and CoH.  So yeah, mine's not good anymore, and I don't have an email version account there.  T

Terminated.

Not taking sides, just hadda figure that one out, it's just that kind of weird to me.

And yes, it is exactly as the thread is titled.  NCSoft doesn't care about us.  And the account info is likely gone gone gone, so anyone with a hope of 'maybe we can get our stuff back...?'  No.  Not unless you had Sentinel+'d or whatever'd your stuff beforehand and can get it imported into whatever comes back as CoH.

/In case that matters. :p
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:31:58 PM by houtex »

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 06:24:41 PM »
Hmm... I suppose that means my twin accounts are likely both gone then, since the only other active NCSoft game I had associated with either of them was Aion (On the primary account), and at some point, not sure when, NCSoft decided to outright ban that game's account without telling me about it... Seriously, I logged into my master account a little over a year ago, and it had Aion listed as "banned", while City of Heroes was still perfectly fine and usable in "premium" status, and I never got an email about it from them as to why or even that I had been banned from Aion....

Was weird, but I never bothered to fight to fix it, because I didn't play the game for very long before I realized it was just another generic Korean grind fest with gimmicky wings that don't work the way you'd think wings should... (Seriously, they promoted the game as though flying was going to be a huge focal point and offer true exploratory freedom like in City of Heroes, and then they turn around and slam it in your face in the actual game when you finally get your wings that flying isn't what they told you it would be, and just how limited your ability to do it was... I was like "Seriously? There's a timer on flying for how long I can do it before I'm forced to rest?" Screw that, I'd rather be playing Heroes; at least they were able to truly fly... At least for the moment, Icon scratches that itch...)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 07:42:11 AM »
While nothing has changed on a practical level, it just feels like another "We Don't Want You People Here" punch to the gut.

Especially since it's clear that they haven't actually deleted our accounts (since it recognizes the username and password), they just won't let us log into them.  (I'm glad I changed all my information to nonsense when the game closed)

It's like the picture of the COH/Aion/Blade and Soul/etc dogs that was circulating around here: "That account is OLD.  Here, you will like this NEW account better."

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Pretty sure server information and game account information was linked to the master account but not entirely tied to it.  The account systems were separate, as any number of instances of issues between account side and game side not linking up showed us.   I think it might still be possible to get our stuff back on the servers and even log into our game accounts if they don't delete these too.

Also, just because they now have the old system shelved and are asking people to make a new account, doesn't mean they don't have the old system and info backed up some where. 

Just saying, if NCSoft were to sell the IP and servers, stuff might still be there.  Then again it might not, but this is not evidence of anything yet, other than NCSoft wanted a new system and could care less about inconveniencing past customers. 

Gentlemen and Ladies.

Whether you or I or anyone else would want to give NCSoft another dime is immaterial to the point being made.  There may be a studio that makes such an impressive game, that unfortunately NCSoft is in control of... or that in the future, NCSoft reverses course and becomes less asshole...  whichever the case is, there may yet be a day where we'd want to get into that game. 

The point of their requiring a new account to play that new toy when you already had one in the first place is the very weirdest thing a company can do... especially in less than a year.  And they have free games, not requiring one red cent, so there's that, we could play those because we want to.

If there's anything that proves NCSoft is trying like hell to shrink back to a Korea/Asian only company, foregoing and forsaking accounts for only being used for CoH is definitely a smoking gun.

Man.  I just don't GET that.  That's just... oddball.

---

So, I went there, and verified it myself.  I had to reset my password, it did, verifed I'm me, got in... bam.  Create a new account.  o.0

Ok, so here's the real deal.  Apparently, the old account ways of having a specialized account name were still allowed, but sometime ago, NCSoft decided that they weren't gonna do this anymore, and require you to sign in with your email, sorta like Netflix or Pandora or such.

BUT, the old, grandfathered accounts, such as CoH, were left in there as a legacy thing.

As soon as they purged the game from their records, and you had no other games to play on that account, the account effectively died right then.

The 'create new account' now requires you to have your email.  That's all.   It's not some conspiracy, it's a washing away of an old system they'd rather you didn't use anymore.

Mostly I see it in Aion boards, and not a lot of that, but if you really wanted to play Lineage or whatever, you can contact support and get your old account moved to the new one... However, if it says "you have no games that work anymore" there's no point to this, just start over.  I think I had Exteel and Autoassault once, and CoH.  So yeah, mine's not good anymore, and I don't have an email version account there.  T

Terminated.

Not taking sides, just hadda figure that one out, it's just that kind of weird to me.

And yes, it is exactly as the thread is titled.  NCSoft doesn't care about us.  And the account info is likely gone gone gone, so anyone with a hope of 'maybe we can get our stuff back...?'  No.  Not unless you had Sentinel+'d or whatever'd your stuff beforehand and can get it imported into whatever comes back as CoH.

/In case that matters. :p

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:25 AM »
I wasnt really intending on using them, but I guess there goes the free keys/trials I had under my city account name.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
Storage is cheap, and maintaining old, basically unchanging data costs a company next to nothing. I'd be very surprised indeed if our accounts and game/character data from CoH were deleted.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »
Storage is cheap, and maintaining old, basically unchanging data costs a company next to nothing. I'd be very surprised indeed if our accounts and game/character data from CoH were deleted.

While I on the other hand can see a regular audit of contracts and services reveal that they are paying an off-site archive service to hold backup data for a now defunct game and to save money, doesn't matter if it's a lot or a little, will cancel, or simply not renew, that contract in which case the off-site service will repurpose the backup media that was being used for us for a paying customer.

This isn't that pile of tapes/floppies/Zip disks/DVD-ROMs/Blu-Ray ROMs that you have laying around your home or office that says "BACKUP <data> 1 of X" on it.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
This isn't that pile of tapes/floppies/Zip disks/DVD-ROMs/Blu-Ray ROMs that you have laying around your home or office that says "BACKUP <data> 1 of X" on it.

There's actually no way to know for sure what exactly they have.  You'd assume so, but you'd also be surprised at how some companies--even big companies--operate.

If they're doing it "right", they have a data retention policy that says something like, "After X days, we will delete all of this data."  After that many days, they instruct their backup company or in-house group to delete the data.  That protects them from legal liability if someone sues them two years down the road (assuming that X < 2 years) for destroying data relevant to a lawsuit.

But I have personally witnessed large companies keep what I'd consider important information on things like Zip disks or tapes labeled "BACKUP", hoping for the best in case a server crashes.  While I don't think such a thing is likely, I also know it's not unheard of.