Author Topic: Any others close?  (Read 8948 times)

MisterKitty

• Underling
Any others close?
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »
Damn, but I miss CoH!

Are there any MMOs out there that even come close, and by that I mean being so easy to join a pick-up team, or having instanced "missions" (quests, etc)?

I'm afraid nothing else comes close.  Any suggestions?

Cinnder

• Boss
Re: Any others close?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
My short answer is "no", unfortunately.  I've tried a lot of MMOs, even ones that people here on Titan have recommended, and nothing comes anywhere near CoX for me.  Of course, everyone looks for something different, and maybe some of those other games have some of the things that they enjoyed in CoH.  For me, the things that made CoH so enjoyable are also the things that made it unique -- and it remains so.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:10:38 PM »
Depends.

If ya looking for another COX, might as call it a day. There is no other COX...yet.

If you are merely looking for what you described, then even somethign like WoW fit the bill or can. Ease of finding a team is relative.

In COX I didnt find it so easy to find teams and usually had to make my own, while in many other games I barely can log in for 2 minutes without invites coming in.
In CO it took a hot minute to warm up being new and find where stuff was socially, less time though than in COX when I first started but took a hot minute. Then after that when I get the urge I can find and or join or create a team to do anything with nor problem now, after I figured out where the team forming messages are kept and all the team missions and how thye worked enough to lead one when I get the urge.

Instanced missions...how many do you require? All instanced or some instanced or what?

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:45 PM »
Damn, but I miss CoH!

Are there any MMOs out there that even come close, and by that I mean being so easy to join a pick-up team, or having instanced "missions" (quests, etc)?

I'm afraid nothing else comes close.  Any suggestions?

While I'm very much enjoying a couple-three games (and in fact TSW had really become my "main" prior to CoH shuttering...although I still played and enjoyed the latter very much indeed), in the two areas you mention, I also know of no other game that comes close. CoH's approach to teaming and social functionality was pure genius...so good that you can't help but wonder "why don't all MMOs do it like this?"

TSW and Fallen Earth both use instancing, but it's not the default for most missions. TSW instances dungeon runs, and there are missions in the main story arc that are solo instances (which the majority of players hated...there are markedly fewer in later-released zones, since the player feedback was pretty decisive).

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:38:26 PM »
There's absolutely nothing like COH out there. Champions Online..bears similarities in some places, but that's it. DC Universe Online is big, but is centered on your regular DC Universe heroes. As is Marvel's online game.

That just leaves the two 'Plan Z' projects being worked on.
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
Three. :)

Valiance Online is an adaptation of an existing fantasy project that is being retooled for a spandex setting. It's actually further along and showing quite a bit of promise, even in a pre-alpha state.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:09:35 AM »
Three. :)

Valiance Online is an adaptation of an existing fantasy project that is being retooled for a spandex setting. It's actually further along and showing quite a bit of promise, even in a pre-alpha state.
yup.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:11 AM »

In COX I didnt find it so easy to find teams and usually had to make my own, while in many other games I barely can log in for 2 minutes without invites coming in.

Back when I joined CoH (around issue 4), on Virtue I'd get invites within a few minutes of logging in.  However, that hadn't been the case for at least a couple of years when the servers shut down.  And when the invites aren't pouring forth as I passively await them, it has ceased to be where it's easy for me to get a team. 

No other game has had quite such an easy-to-team environment, in my experience, as CoH in those early years.  Nor has teaming with total strangers proved to be as much fun as it was there (for the most part).
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
Back when I joined CoH (around issue 4), on Virtue I'd get invites within a few minutes of logging in.  However, that hadn't been the case for at least a couple of years when the servers shut down.  And when the invites aren't pouring forth as I passively await them, it has ceased to be where it's easy for me to get a team. 

No other game has had quite such an easy-to-team environment, in my experience, as CoH in those early years.  Nor has teaming with total strangers proved to be as much fun as it was there (for the most part).
oh yeah, the early years were the golden years. When people played for and teamed for the ehll of it and not merely to farm and or do a speed run to get through the content as fast as possible because content was a big chore standing in the way of badges.

I do miss those days.

MisterKitty

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Yup, the first 3 or 4 years were the best for teaming with PUGs...rarely did I get a bad group, and even then if I did, I could easily find another.

I've been trying out a whole bunch of MMOs, and none seem to have that combination of wonderful social mechanics as well as interesting combat and storylines.

I have so so many fond memories of CoH...nothing else seems to cut it.

Mister K

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
It's been mentioned before, but Champions Online is the closest I've found.  And it's stil a long, long way away.  I only played it for two months, and then got bored.  (And not just because "it's not CoH")

Also as I said elsewhere on these forums, CoH was so unique that when I ask around in general MMO groups for a game like it, my lists of "favorite features from CoH" is taken to be some sort of made-up wishlist of features that have never existed in any game.  It was just THAT different.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:37:45 PM »
It's been mentioned before, but Champions Online is the closest I've found.  And it's stil a long, long way away.  I only played it for two months, and then got bored.  (And not just because "it's not CoH")

Also as I said elsewhere on these forums, CoH was so unique that when I ask around in general MMO groups for a game like it, my lists of "favorite features from CoH" is taken to be some sort of made-up wishlist of features that have never existed in any game.  It was just THAT different.
Yup.

Unfortunately this is experience of that downside to being unique. When it was up and running, it's wonderful, nothing like the game of COX. But now we know what happens if that or a unique game goes away. Then what? There is not another one. Like if a person play a generic fantasy game, that one closes they can hop to the next one that is near identical except with different location, names, looks (possible) and name of the classes but over all the same as the old one. With COX, there isnt a copy of it...yet. CO could have been, and what happened with CO oculd have happened with any group of devs. We lucked out to get some good ones and or the good ones that had power to say yea or nay and continued development that worked, some accidential, but worked nonetheless overall.

I think with COX gorup of devs, especially after foriming of paragon studios and Posi at least seemingly running the joint, that group could have made any game better with merely the way that they operated. Yeah I know sometimes funds are tight or not enough from the owners, but in CO, it's like pulling teeth to get information or what's next, besides things that came across Turtle's desk. We had Zwill. but that didnt stop the devs from talking themselves or releasing information about what was going on for the most part. A simple "Hey guys, times are tough, things are down, but we are working on this and that" like they did in COX works wonders. In CO, they held a half butt Q&A. In COX, everyday was Q&A. Sometimes the answers were simply, "No, we cant do that at this time due to limitations." like COX devs did with all sorts of ideas from animal models to new powers. But lo and behold they went to work tried it and we eventually got animal modeled pets and demons, two ideas that been floating around since I7 and maybe prior when people was throwing around the idea of "wish I could play a villain." in I5. Of course at the time it was dismissed as "Then why are you playing a game around heroes if you wanto be villains" by more than a few people but by I7, COV was released live.

Even with bugs, they stated what they was doing even if theycouldnt fix it like the base system, as it was said fro mthe devs themselves that they wanted to fix it but it tends to break orsomething of the likes. There wasnt a mass evacuation of the game. Most players just went, "Hey thanks for the reply. Well I'll work with what I got. In CO, people been wondering what is going on for years and it's been getting to the feeling as if the devs forsaken them. If that team of devs were on COX with that same method and attitude, it would have been in the same boat and if Posi and his crew was on CO with that method they employed, CO would have been more like COX, whether the gameplay stayed exactly the same or not. Communication is under rated dev-customer but it makes a huge difference. Most players can handle the truth and will make things work if given something to work with. In CO, it's mostly silence from the devs. The players have more repsect for Turtle than the unknown devs merely do to communication. If a dev came out and said, "hey we want to add new features but dont have resources, and can only do temp content and lockboxes because of xyz." then I bet most players in CO will try to solve xyz to get the ball rolling.

In COX, it seemed that most of the time, the players knew what the devs l new with things. Someone or people asked, "Say, why is this thing still broke?" 90% of the time soon, there will be an answer from a dev or a message from them through Zwill. or his equivalent. In CO, they barely answer their own tech support line, and dont think a dev posted in the CO forum in at leats a year it looks like. It's liek they dont even ready the forums at all and have no connection between the players and themselves. In large games with millions of players, it's understandable as that is a large group of people to deal with and lot of info. and voices. But CO isnt that big and more than likely smaller than COX. What is their excuse. Dont need money to talk to the customers. And that is one the main reasons why I think CO have potential to be proper alternative to COX but will never be at this rate.

I think most players can and do understand times are hard, it takes money to run a game, crap happens, devs cant work miracles, but at least say so. Or what else do they expect? People will still talk and go with information they have and will ask the same question and concern from three years ago today if it was never addressed in any manner, and after askign about the same bugs over and over and over that affect gameplay, it make it hard for some people to be optimistic and cheery for years with nothing in return to show for it. It used to be cheery and optimistic but understandably it diminished. Unfortunately now, many COX players float over there now and see this and say, Oh they are more negative than COX community." without thinking deeper of how that came to be.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
oh yeah, the early years were the golden years. When people played for and teamed for the ehll of it and not merely to farm and or do a speed run to get through the content as fast as possible because content was a big chore standing in the way of badges.

I do miss those days.

-shouts- ANyone for DFB??? Lvl 33 stalker blueside DFB or DIB PLzzzzzz  :gonk:  :'(  :gonk:   :P :gonk:

-hollers- GATHER UNDER ATLAS FOR DFB!!!!!111oneone   ;)

As for content, I really did enjoy the Mot story arc. I thought my mind was going!!
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
It's been mentioned before, but Champions Online is the closest I've found.

Hmmm...I really just don't see that similarity. Not in terms of what the OP was talking about, anyway (teaming and instancing). I played CO for the whole of the beta and for the first six months after go-live, plus another month just after CoH went dark...and I don't think I ever teamed with anyone I didn't know from other games. The social tools are terrible. And the first couple of time I had to wait around with a bunch of other characters to try to be the "first twitcher" to tag a mission-required respawn told me there wasn't enough instancing in that game.

Now I'd have to agree that CO is the closest thing to CoH in terms of the "spandex factor," but that's not what the OP was referring to.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
I miss CoH a lot.

Since nothing out there even seems close to me, I moved to EVE Online which is probably the furthest thing from CoH. I was finding games where the basics were similar to CoH but fall so far short despite being much newer and should have learned from the mistakes made in other MMOs while at the same time holding up to the standards which we come to expect.

Frankly we were spoiled by CoH. Now we suffer with the rest of the MMO world.  :P

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:54 AM »
The answer is "no" - followed by "not yet" ;)
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:12 AM »
Can't wait for your game Betty.  ;)

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
Hmmm...I really just don't see that similarity. Not in terms of what the OP was talking about, anyway (teaming and instancing). I played CO for the whole of the beta and for the first six months after go-live, plus another month just after CoH went dark...and I don't think I ever teamed with anyone I didn't know from other games. The social tools are terrible. And the first couple of time I had to wait around with a bunch of other characters to try to be the "first twitcher" to tag a mission-required respawn told me there wasn't enough instancing in that game.

Now I'd have to agree that CO is the closest thing to CoH in terms of the "spandex factor," but that's not what the OP was referring to.

Teaming, maybe, (I honestly didn't really try for many teams, outside of the occasional Alert) but it's the only other game I've ever played with any instanced missions at all.  (Or, for that matter, any "missions" in the CoH sense at all) It didn't have as many instanced missions, but it did have some, about 50/50 I'd estimate.  Every other MMO I've played (which, granted, hasn't been that many) has no instanced missions/quests, and while 50% instanced missions may not be as much as CoH had, it's more than the 0% every other game I've tried has.

And that's what I meant by "closer".

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:47 AM »
As far as game mechanics, it seems like Cryptic basically copied CoH when they made Star Trek Online. I tried it for a couple weeks and knowing my way around CoH I was easily able to find my way through STO. It isn't hero-ish, and they did change the way invites work (careful or you'll end up on a team automatically), but you control a crew similar to a Mastermind in CoV. The tutorial was absolutely brilliant, imo. If you haven't tried it, it might be what you're looking for.

On a side note, STO made me wonder if this is how CoX would've ended up had Cryptic kept developing it instead of Paragon Studios. Kind of like an alternate timeline. Hmmm... Star Trek.... and an alternate timeline... hmmm....
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
There are some games that tick some boxes but not others.

DDO is the most heavily instanced game out there but joining Pugs isn't really valid any more, it's become a lot more about the guild you are in and running with them. The good old days when everyone pugged everything are long gone.

Rift has easy access to groups, via instant adventures, or public groups running events, and the ability to mentor down to any level you choose (though no sidekicking) but the only instances require specific groups (tank, healer, dps x 2, support) so can be a pain to get going

Personally I'm fed up with the current trend in MMOs to remove any social interaction by having a LFG queue. Hate it with a passion, most of my MMO friends were made when you had to actually talk to people. One of the main reasons I miss COH is the social interaction, as people used to actually talk on groups.