Author Topic: I miss CoH  (Read 75420 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: I miss CoH
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
I was struck by the lack of comment at all from Eliot. He has always been kind to the game, even if he wasn't as vocally opposed to the closure. I was just coming to the realization that we haven't seen a recent "A Mild-Mannered Reporter" column. (Correction: there was one just after New Years. Not sure how I missed it, since I check their "front page" every day...)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »
"A Mild-Mannered Reporter" has been scaled way back to a monthly column that just gives short overviews of what's happening in all the existing superhero MMOs.  It's been that way since last May: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/a-mild-mannered-reporter-rounding-up-mays-superhero-news/

Belated edit: "A Mild-Mannered Reporter" actually got scaled back even further - in that there hasn't been one since January.  (I write this edit in October, 2014)  Eliot is still busy, though, with a new semi-regular column The Mog Log, which talks about FF11 and FF14 the way he used to talk about CoH, plus lots of individual stories. (And I do mean "lots")
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:18:03 PM by Thunder Glove »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2014, 06:24:03 PM »
Every developer has been saying city of heroes should not have been shut down pretty much, it was deeply bothering to them that NCSoft did that.  It's no surprise they mention it.  NCSoft really needs to take the "hint" so to speak but cannot take a hint.

I agree with Eliot saying that nothing is very bad.  I honestly blame CO's community for that as much as I blame the devs though.

Edited, deleted other post.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 07:08:31 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
I want my damned game back.

that's all there is too it.  >:(
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »

:/

*nods understanding.

Azrael.

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 05:54:41 PM »
Don't think I've want it more than now..don't know what you've got till it's gone ..seriously has a lot of meaning

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2014, 04:36:53 PM »

+1

Damn straight.
No Surrender!

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2014, 09:16:24 PM »
Very few things in my life I ever missed more...
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
You got further than I did.  I didn't even download icon.exe.  Couldn't bring myself to even try.  I really can't re-enter that world without all of you.

Those wounds run pretty deep.

Sorry about the late reply on this.  But my sick mind inserted "Over Macho Grande" in there...

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
No, we'll never be over Macho Grande
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Sorry about the late reply on this.  But my sick mind inserted "Over Macho Grande" in there...

Always nice to run into fellow Airplane fans. 
No Surrender!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
I miss the game to and still hope someday the game will get back up on it's feet.  It just feels that there has been a hole that cannot be filled when it comes to gaming for me.  Champions online doesn't really do it for me, DC Universe Online to me isn't a true rpg(because of the trinity problem, honestly every mmorpg is like a team fortress wannabe), so that fails to fill the void to.

Fact of the matter is, city of heroes defeated the holy trinity and it did it properly and because of that, to me, it was a truer rpg than any other mmorpg.  You weren't pidgin-holed anywhere and you were still encouraged to come up with a wildly different variety of play you just do not see in mmorpgs.  And it had it's positive quirks and it retained it's identity.  Other MMORPGS get cornered into a team-fortress wannabe game that pidgin-holes people in teams to doing exclusively one thing rather than a wide variety of things.  Someone only healing or exclusively only using a very small selection of attacks or only flipping the finger or exclusivey using only a couple of overly situational crowd control abilities to me, is not freedom.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
Now I know just how Zod and Co. felt, wandering around the galaxy in their one little ship looking for some ribs to kick, home planet blasted to smithereens and they were never going to set foot on it again. Longing for something that never could be, wanting to turn back time. Home, loved ones, culture, science, even their worst enemies: all gone into the void and nothing left except ashes and ruins and longing that could never be assuaged. Because home was gone forever.

I would like to activate the World Engine right over NCSoft's headquarters. [Preferably while Superman is busy doing something else.]

The depth and duration of my distress more than a year later is very shocking to me. Its like Im missing a body part.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 05:09:54 AM »
Always nice to run into fellow Airplane fans. 

Truthfully, I like to avoid them.  I mean, it really kinda hurts when we smack into each other.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »
Now I know just how Zod and Co. felt, wandering around the galaxy in their one little ship looking for some ribs to kick, home planet blasted to smithereens and they were never going to set foot on it again. Longing for something that never could be, wanting to turn back time. Home, loved ones, culture, science, even their worst enemies: all gone into the void and nothing left except ashes and ruins and longing that could never be assuaged. Because home was gone forever.

I would like to activate the World Engine right over NCSoft's headquarters. [Preferably while Superman is busy doing something else.]

The depth and duration of my distress more than a year later is very shocking to me. Its like Im missing a body part.

*sympathies, Illusionss*  I am sorry for that, but I sure do understand it.  Even after one has grown accustomed to the loss, the sense of loss persists.

I should post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJLlQhcK0I in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread, since your post inspired me to listen (once again) to the theme from Firefly.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Devil_Boy

• Underling
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »
*sympathies, Illusionss*
I should post this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayJLlQhcK0I in the "What Are You Listening To?" thread, since your post inspired me to listen (once again) to the theme from Firefly.

yess a firefly thats it .. started listening to it and I immediately recognized it but couldnt remember what it was from then i read the rest of your post .. doh **facepalm**

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »
Hi, Devil_Boy;  I hope you are having a good/better day today.   I like how on Titan we are all united in our love for CoH and desire to bring it back.    I think the CoH Community has done really well, considering.  I continue to hope that one of Task Force Hail Mary will in time be successful, or that SCoRE is a success, and that at minimum one or more of the Plan Z projects will launch in a year or less.  I certainly wish we had our game back--but then I wish a lot of things.  Until then, while I don't hang out and post to Titan Network forums at anything like the rate I did right after server shutdown, nonetheless, /em holdtorch.  Have a great day!   :)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:15 AM »
Just missing City a bit tonight while working on rhetorical precis final drafts from my students.

Times like this, I'd host a costume contest in Atlas Park on Justice, usually getting folks to do silly things while competing, like hanging fishing poles over the back of the platform to "fish" in the water there.  Man, I miss the game.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:08 AM »
usually getting folks to do silly things while competing, like hanging fishing poles over the back of the platform to "fish" in the water there.

Man, those sound like some contests I'd have loved attending :D

One day, my friends. It might be in a different city, but we'll fly and punch things and stand around looking funny have costume contests again.

/e holdtorch

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
/em holdtorch