Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness (SPOILERS)  (Read 10656 times)

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness (SPOILERS)
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 06:08:09 AM »
Coincidentally, my favorite moment of the movie is Kirk and Uhura in the elevator, when Kirk realizes the two are fighting.

"Ohmaigawd, what is that like?!"

Major props to Chris Pine for genuinely having fun with his character.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 05:34:10 AM »
Spock was absolutely radiating jealousy from every word, look and bit of body language :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWg1BTCnAA4

Ok, yeah, looks like it, but that is not what's going on.  (note... I can't believe I'm having a K/S debate... for the record, I don't even get on board with (aka 'ship) that, but carryin' on...)

At first, sure, but it's Spock being *suspicious* first and foremost as to why Carol is even being allowed to come on board.  He is, as we all know, a hella smart person.  And also not nearly as controlled in his emotional department, as his carryin' on with Uhura shows, so there might be a hint of uncomfortable due to the recent crap and perhaps a little unsure about his position as well... but that was not anywhere near jealousy.  She is *superfluous*, and that makes him suspect her even being there in the first place.

But Kirk's the Captain, and he's the First Officer/Science Officer, so he can't really tell him no on this one.  She comes along.  And he discovers and uncovers her ruse due to his suspicion. 

/But on top of that, he's got Uhura.  Like she's gonna let Kirk horn in on her man.  As if.
//Or hell, maybe you're right, he's hella jealous and uncovers Carol's real nature in the hopes Kirk will rush into his arms and slip him the tongue like Spock is some sorta Big Damn Hero.  What do I know.
///Now, being as Zachary Quinto has come out as a gay man, perhaps in real life he couldn't help himself but be jealous of Alice Eve vis a vis Chris Pine... :D

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
Just gonna say I really enjoyed it! It was especially cool to see it as part of a double feature - first Abrams movie at 9, new one at midnight.

Yes, which is why after going to all the trouble of invoking time travel (ugh) to create a blank slate, they should actually use it and write fresh stories, IMO.

Not rehashing old ones by putting characters in situations with extremely unlikely parallels to the timeline that they've already massively diverged from. Khan should not be in this film -- it's a move completely unessential to the otherwise somewhat-original plot and probably made solely for marketing reasons.

I did see a quote from one of the writers - I guess the two were at odds about putting Khan in the movie. They ended up starting to write the movie with a new villain, being coerced in some way to serve Starfleet for nefarious ends, but ended up deciding to make that villain Khan, because there was actually a plausible reason / way for him to be the villain that was being coerced.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame