Author Topic: TF:HM update #2  (Read 30272 times)

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
Re: TF:HM update #2
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 05:11:45 PM »
YAY. keep us all updated on anything google says. gee I wish there was some sort of tracking system for stuff like this, lol Google Executive tracking: what are the bigshots talking about doing today?

The new google App :P

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
I say send it! Fortune favors the bold.  :)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »
Re: send it, yes.

Re: Yahoo!, it's hilarious that ya'll are being picky about your longshots.

Not trying to pick a fight, but come on. Seriously? If Yahoo! Wanted to help bring our game back, you all would look down your noses and say, "No?"

Nope. I would not say no; but it would be immersion-breaking to see "YAHOO!" on the side of every building.  8)

Like I said earlier, I would tolerate it to get our game back. But at this point, my hopes are on a private server, because I dont trust Yahoo! either. My trust for large corporate entities is low at the moment. They mean none of us well.

But for the game, I would tolerate them.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2013, 03:42:09 AM »
Just pretend that a villain named 'Yahoo' is vandalizing the City.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
 ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:21:27 AM by Captain Electric »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 06:42:51 AM »
Yahoo is happy if someone remembers they exist.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
Any chance we get some highlights as to what is in the pitch ??

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
I don't know how much I'm allowed to say - I'll ask HRH Mercedes if there is anything I can shared.

I did take a number of ideas from your post, so a huge, huge thank you for that.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Hope it works and please start working on the next pitch to the next target !!!

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
That's already underway :)

--
@Vandellia

kgiesing

• Minion
  • Mind Forever Burning
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2013, 12:07:44 AM »
yahoo is for yahoos simple as that

I worked at Yahoo! for two years. Employees of Yahoo! call themselves, internally, Yahoos.

I should also mention that I unsuccessfully attempted to get anyone at Yahoo! interested in games.  My take was that Facebook rose to prominence in no small part due to its gaming-platform aspect.  And Yahoo! did already have a games section - it just wasn't very well integrated with anything else.

Given how that turned out, I think the chances of Yahoo! being even remotely interested in City Of are as close to zero as you can measure with finite precision.

Yahoo! wants to be about media - they want to be the middleman for online journalism.  That's their nature and the strength they're trying to build back up.  Everything they do is about putting that story back together.  They're not going to be interested in funding a fantasy world because they want to sell information about the real one.

Google on the other hand is interested in building itself out as the technology platform that powers the world.  Google I/O pointed to their interest in the games market, and there are rumors that even deeper investments in that direction are coming.  As long shots go, Google seems much more likely to me to pay off.

Finally, I suppose I should mention Amazon, since I work there now, and we do actually have a game development company.  However, I don't see Amazon getting deep into gaming the way Google seems to be.  We also tend to be cheapskates when it comes to acquisitions.  On the other hand, the tech behind a successful MMO has to be pretty amazing - I could almost see Amazon buying City just for the real time synchronization capable of resolving competing powers activations on a real-time schedule.

- Kris

kgiesing

• Minion
  • Mind Forever Burning
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2013, 12:20:29 AM »
Jeez, I left out the obvious: Microsoft.  Has anyone pitched to them?  Of the bunch, they seem the most likely of all.

City Of on the Xbox One...  Stranger things have been known to happen.

I *might* be able to find a contact at MS for this, if that would be helpful.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2013, 12:44:19 AM »
Jeez, I left out the obvious: Microsoft.  Has anyone pitched to them?  Of the bunch, they seem the most likely of all.

City Of on the Xbox One...  Stranger things have been known to happen.

I *might* be able to find a contact at MS for this, if that would be helpful.

If city of heroes come out on Xbox or any console and can be played with out the need to hunt down a group of people and or internet, I'll buy four copies to the game, and two xbox Ones full price with a 20% tip for each in for kick the same they release it with no questions asked.

Surelle

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2013, 01:06:35 AM »
Hey, didn't Microsoft originally plan to publish and then eventually dump out on Marvel Universe Online by Cryptic, before it was rezzed and suddenly became Champions Online?   :o  I'm not sure they'd be too interested in anything else Cryptic did, especially not in anything nine years old.  Microsoft's track record with funding MMOs is terrible, actually.  I think they've dumped out on every one they ever started out backing, Vanguard also among them.

I'd take a pass on MS to be honest.

And is anyone, anyone at all, actually doing THE most important thing in all this and contacting NCSoft to somehow try and get them to sell?  All this "pitch" stuff is, at the end of the day, putting the cart before the horse. 

It's too bad a "Your game could be next" ad campaign couldn't be run side-by-side whenever and wherever NCSoft runs a Wildstar, Blade & Soul or any other NCSoft MMO ad.  We could list in it all the games they've already shut down.  Now that would make more than a few gamers think twice about investing any time or money into NCSoft.   And I guarantee you NCSoft would notice that kind of advertising as well!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2013, 01:39:18 AM »

And is anyone, anyone at all, actually doing THE most important thing in all this and contacting NCSoft to somehow try and get them to sell?  All this "pitch" stuff is, at the end of the day, putting the cart before the horse. 

This is what I been thinking.

But I think part of the pitch from what I gather, is that it's hoping that Google/Yahoo/MS/Fred that lives in the basement will get the pitch idea from here, contact NCSoft and make an offer and or work their magic and hope the "star" power of Google/Yahoo/MS/Fred that lives in the basement can get something moving or make it seem it is something for ncsoft to gain if they sale.

Quite frankly all this "We are goign to give them bad PR" and stuff aint goign to convince them. They probably dotn give a crap about a group that is not even thier intended customers anymore thinks. SO far, the rest of their games seem to be doing decently well and thus the closing didnt shake too many people on that end of the sea or here from joining their games. Which was to be expected.

But hopefully the likes of Google/Yahoo/MS/Fred that lives in the basement can give it a good try. Hell, NCSoft, being no weak corporation themselves and up there in size with the best of them might just say no and call it a day. And if NCSoft dont want to sell, then there isnt nothing Google/Yahoo/MS/Fred that lives in the basement can do. But hopefully this will get a clear indication if they have no intentions on budging.

Me personally if i had the likes of Google banging at my door about a product I probably wouldnt sell to easily myself as if Google or the likes is after it, it means it must be something valuable. And that may be the very well side affect of this that even if NCSoft says no, there probably no chance anyone that isnt major have a chance of getting them to sell. It's like "Google wanterd it and I turned them down, so why should I even entertain you? You? Who are you? I dont recall seeing you on the Fortune 500 top 50 or even the top 500 for that matter."

But at this point all we can do is try and see what happens. After the pitch goes out, it's basically in fate's hands. And if Google/MS/Yahoo/Fred that lives in the basement bites, then it's up to NCSoft. Hope they make them an offer they cant refuse. *ahem* we do have plenty of desert out here in these parts if Google need any for a few "laundry bags"

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
The pitch went out yesterday :-)

I'm just waiting for some info from Mercedes on the best address for you guys to send postcards/letters to, and then I'll past those details along :-)
--
@Vandellia

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2013, 12:26:29 PM »

I'm just waiting for some info from Mercedes on the best address for you guys to send postcards/letters to, and then I'll past those details along :-)
Ready!

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »

Congratulations and best of luck ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

tomborocks1

• Underling
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
This is great news!

*cracks knuckles*

Waiting for further instructions.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 12:10:07 AM »
I have my paper and Number 2 pencils ready!!
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...