Author Topic: TF:HM update #2  (Read 30274 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: TF:HM update #2
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 02:55:47 PM »
I think Yahoo might be tapped out just now.  8)

But I was reading about the Tumblr acquisition last night, about which there seems to be uniform angst - except amongst Yahoo staff. Anyway, in one comment section some guy posted a picture of what Tumblr is likely to look like shortly after Yahoo takes the reins: it was hilarious, because it was true.

He drew a picture of the 'home" Tumblr screen and it had Yahoo! tags all over it.

"Brought to you by Yahoo!"

"Powered by Yahoo! mail!"

"Yahoo! friends!"

"Yahoo! mail"

"Yahoo! music"

"Yahoo! news!"

"Yahoo! stock quotes!"

"Flickr! Powered by Yahoo!"

"Horoscopes! Y shine!"

"Featured Yahoo! videos!"

Anyways there were like 50 tags, and its funny 'cause its true. If Yahoo! were to buy CoX, they would be a very heavy, immersion-breaking presence in the game. Now, at this point I want our game back so badly, I would tolerate that. But streamlined and elegant, Yahoo! is not. [I also think this Tumblr acquisition will turn out to be a financial disaster for them, but my opinion is meaningless in the scheme of things.]

yahoo is for yahoos simple as that, I browse it regularly so I can BS about the news.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »
Yahoo is my "trash" email. I use that email address for anything I have to sign up for online. I tried to get the username "spamtrap," but someone beat me to it. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Spatch1971

• Underling
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
For all reasons already cited.....send it!   :D

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 04:35:49 AM »
For all reasons already cited.....send it!   :D

I agree...send it.  Also for all the reasons stated before me, avoid Yahoo!
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:10 AM »
Unleash the Kraken! (i.e., send it)

( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

unladenswallow

• Lieutenant
  • "Are you suggesting Coconuts Migrate?"
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2013, 06:10:26 AM »
"The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." -Thomas Paine

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »
Not really my area of expertise, but I would go with everyone else on it may as well send it.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 10:50:58 AM »
Re: send it, yes.

Re: Yahoo!, it's hilarious that ya'll are being picky about your longshots.

Not trying to pick a fight, but come on. Seriously? If Yahoo! Wanted to help bring our game back, you all would look down your noses and say, "No?"

Mind you, it wouldn't be up to us, and I don't think we'll ever be in that spot to begin with; but whoever does decide to help us is bound to be a surprise out of left field at this point (that's our only hope now, after all, a surprise out of left field).

Don't you think anyone receiving a pitch (and anyone they speak to at the watercooler and so on down the line) has a non-zero chance of seeing this very conversation? Here we are, expressing how beneath us some forms of business and/or monetization might be.

You best hope we don't picky ourselves right out of a potentially beneficial (i.e. savior of our game) relationship.

Part of the reason for this new thread was the indication that we needed to check ourselves before posting.

Everyone we could possibly contact is a longshot, and for each and every one, we need them more than they need us; otherwise we'd be flying the skies of Paragon City by now. Our demeanor should reflect nothing but gratitude in advance, and if a monetization scheme ever turns out to be so horrifying that we'd rather leave CoH buried, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 01:40:15 PM »
Alright. In a valiant attempt to keep this thread on track:

The consensus seems to be that we send the pitch as soon as it's ready, so that's what we'll do.

At the moment, I'm waiting on Quinch to decide if we need to change anything. As I mentioned in a previous post, Quinch is currently in the middle of a rather epic house move, but hopefully he'll get to it shortly. Soon as he gives the OK, I'll get this sucker moving. In the mean time, try not to fall out with each other ;)
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
Re: send it, yes.

Re: Yahoo!, it's hilarious that ya'll are being picky about your longshots.

Not trying to pick a fight, but come on. Seriously? If Yahoo! Wanted to help bring our game back, you all would look down your noses and say, "No?"

Mind you, it wouldn't be up to us, and I don't think we'll ever be in that spot to begin with; but whoever does decide to help us is bound to be a surprise out of left field at this point (that's our only hope now, after all, a surprise out of left field).

Don't you think anyone receiving a pitch (and anyone they speak to at the watercooler and so on down the line) has a non-zero chance of seeing this very conversation? Here we are, expressing how beneath us some forms of business and/or monetization might be.

You best hope we don't picky ourselves right out of a potentially beneficial (i.e. savior of our game) relationship.

Part of the reason for this new thread was the indication that we needed to check ourselves before posting.

Everyone we could possibly contact is a longshot, and for each and every one, we need them more than they need us; otherwise we'd be flying the skies of Paragon City by now. Our demeanor should reflect nothing but gratitude in advance, and if a monetization scheme ever turns out to be so horrifying that we'd rather leave CoH buried, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

heh I'm all for yahoo, I just joked that it's a place for yahoos cause thats how most people seem to treat it.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »
Honestly the only thing I'd expect of whoever takes us is they don't fall into the more questionable practices we've seen in MMO's today(like Pay to win, and over-pricing lock boxes ect).  A given CoX limited you alot but they didn't make "this and this and this, oh you have to spend 100 dollars to win!".  Perfect world has been doing that to CO and it's been, honestly, worrying as I fear its been hurting the game significantly.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
So correct me if I am wrong, but the pitch won't be sent still for a little bit?  I ask because if anyone wanted to work some sleepness nights to get the ad campaign going it could probably still be done at the same time.  I don't want to suggest anyone work their behind off unless they wanted to though.  I understand not wanting to work EVEN more then most of us probably do heh.  However if I can help in anyway for the ads lemme know, my specialty is music and audio engineering(not sure those are relevant)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »
heh I'm all for yahoo, I just joked that it's a place for yahoos cause thats how most people seem to treat it.

Errr, sorry then pal, I misunderstood. Carry on! Nothing to see here!  :-[

Honestly the only thing I'd expect of whoever takes us is they don't fall into the more questionable practices we've seen in MMO's today(like Pay to win, and over-pricing lock boxes ect).  A given CoX limited you alot but they didn't make "this and this and this, oh you have to spend 100 dollars to win!".  Perfect world has been doing that to CO and it's been, honestly, worrying as I fear its been hurting the game significantly.

THIS however is the kind of stance that I was referencing above. And again, not picking a fight with YOU, but with the general stance. And here's what I mean: Take Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter, for example. All of those games drop lock boxes  (and even sell them in NW's case, as the drops are less frequent there, and yes people buy them). Many of those lock boxes contain items that will give you a direct advantage inside the game.

Now, do you want to know what the many, many thousands of fans of those games have that we don't? A GAME. And many of those fans are former City of Heroes players. All three Cryptic games have hoovered up refugees (take a look at the Other Games section). And while I preferred Paragon Studio's "Super Packs" model, the lock boxes aren't as terrible as some other schemes out there. I've gotten less than 10 lock boxes dropped on me in the two weeks that I've been playing NW. I wouldn't mind a bit if someone said, "We're bringing your game back--with lock boxes!" Because you know what the alternative is--you're looking at it. Also keep in mind, lots of City of Heroes players HATED the Super Packs. They called them "gamble packs" on the forums. How many of you stopped playing because of those?

And Rae, I do agree this is off-track, but not terribly so. Fact is, if someone came into our community and said something like, "Hey folks, I'm a pretty small publisher compared to what you're used to, so we're going to have to make some changes just to be able to afford to run your game, so here's my plan to make City of Heroes totally F2P--what do you think?" If someone came around and said that, and this community replied with an ungrateful "Boo hiss!", I'd never forgive it. (I'm talking about a knee-jerk "boo hiss", not a carefully considered "boo hiss".)

Also please don't overlook Taceus Jiwede's post above. It actually is perfectly on track and needs an answer.

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
So correct me if I am wrong, but the pitch won't be sent still for a little bit?  I ask because if anyone wanted to work some sleepness nights to get the ad campaign going it could probably still be done at the same time.  I don't want to suggest anyone work their behind off unless they wanted to though.  I understand not wanting to work EVEN more then most of us probably do heh.  However if I can help in anyway for the ads lemme know, my specialty is music and audio engineering(not sure those are relevant)

It really depends on Quinch, at this point. If he gives me the nod, it can go in a matter of minutes. If he thinks it needs an edit, it'll be a while longer.

Sorry, that's not helpful, is it? At a guess, I'd say there's a little time. I'll drop him a line and see where he's at.
--
@Vandellia

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
I remember the last time I saw Yahoo's presence in a game...

Do you think they'd give us some kind of banner pet that boosts inf/exp/prestige/rare drops so you'd have more incentive to have it out at all times?

Maybe we can get Pizza Hut to rally to our cause too  8)

?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 06:17:29 PM »
Pan Pizza Powerset?

Rae

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
Pizza shield powerset?

Alright. Quinch thinks we don't need a re-write. I'm going to give it a final read through and get the covering letter written, and we're all set. Work is pretty manic for me tomorrow, but baring unforseen circumstances getting in the way, the pitch will be with Google before the weekend is out.

I'll let you know when it's gone.
--
@Vandellia

Keyne

• Minion
  • Freedumb's Miyabi
    • TonyV's Crabshack
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 08:18:03 PM »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:39 PM »
Pizza shield powerset?

Alright. Quinch thinks we don't need a re-write. I'm going to give it a final read through and get the covering letter written, and we're all set. Work is pretty manic for me tomorrow, but baring unforseen circumstances getting in the way, the pitch will be with Google before the weekend is out.

I'll let you know when it's gone.

YAY. keep us all updated on anything google says. gee I wish there was some sort of tracking system for stuff like this, lol Google Executive tracking: what are the bigshots talking about doing today?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »
If they're anything like Wozniak, just follow them on Twitter, and you'll know where they like to eat dinner. :D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."