Author Topic: TF:HM update #2  (Read 30279 times)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
TF:HM update #2
« on: May 20, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »
Lets see if we can keep this one open :-)

Quinch (who is also in the middle of a house move) is currently taking a look at the pitch to see if it needs altering in the wake of the Google+ games closure.

I've been in touch with Vyolet, who is putting together a 'the story so far' website. She hopes that the site will be completed in 2-3 weeks.

So I'm looking for indications of if you think we should wait for Vyolet's website (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8322.0.html) to go live before we send the pitch out, or if you're happy for it to go out once we've made any necessary alterations because of the Google+ games thing.

--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Tanklet

• Boss
Re: TF:HM update #2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:04:56 AM »
My vote is to send the pitch out. I fear the contact growing cold. Plus once we start sending Google letters, next thing you know, the site will be up.

Normally, I'd say wait and coordinate, but this pitch has already been a while in the waiting. I think we need to establish contact with the contact, and send the package asap.

EDIT: Also, if Google does decide to approach NC$oft, I think that would be the perfect time for the ads/webpage to be up. Reminding NC that ... yup, we're still here! Hopefully creating enough pressure that they actually release the bleeping IP...

Surelle

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
My initial response is to send the pitch out, provided any references to Google Play are adjusted/removed first.  My main reasoning for this is that it will probably take weeks for the right people to get it and really look it over (after all, they aren't going to immediately fling everything else off their desks when the correct recipients finally receive it).  By then, hopefully Vyolet's website will be brand-spanking-new and up, to coincide with any outside emails/letters from us that Google will get.  And if Vyolet's site doesn't go up, it doesn't go up.  We're no worse off, and the pitch hasn't been held up any longer than it would have anyway.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
I vote send the pitch. We can start sending out mail.  The site will probably be up about the time they have received and read the proposal.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »
My own instinct is to send it now.  That may be impatience talking, but putting this proposal together has taken longer than expected on all sides, and, like others, I worry about whether Google is even still waiting.

I'd post more, but it'd just be dumping frets and worries about all the things that could go wrong, so I'll just say: send it.  :D

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
Send the pitch as soon as you can, Google+ games won't change much at the moment, I'd think.
- Omega Mk. V

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
I dont see what sending it out can hurt. I'd send it.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »
Send it. Once we have any kind of reply back that it was recieved we can start doing our thing.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
I vote Just send out the pitch once it's had it's look-over/alterations. by the time the guy begins considering the pitch Vyolet's website should be close to finished.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

TigerKnight

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
I vote Just send out the pitch once it's had it's look-over/alterations. by the time the guy begins considering the pitch Vyolet's website should be close to finished.

This. He's been waiting quite awhile for that pitch now. He isn't going to jump on it as soon as it falls into his hands. As long as you're 100% sure it's good to go... then send it

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Send the pitch now. Given the time frame that it's being worked on, there is no harm to saying "We are also working on a web site and it will be ready in X time". In fact, it may be detrimental to wait until we have all of our ducks lined up and loaded, and fire them all at once. Launch the first flock now, and keep following with more "And here is more that we just finished" regularly, so that it bubbles to the top of the to-do lists of people who are making decisions. As long as the follow-ups are real, and not just made for news.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »
Hey guys! Love to hear the updates. Just wanted to drop a happy note of encouragement. Thank so much for doing this for us! :D It's really amazing to see everyone working so hard. Good luck and keep us posted!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »
If Google falls through, consider trying with Yahoo.

Why?

1) Yahoo clearly wants to spend lots of money for anything remotely connected to 'social networking'.
2) One of CoH's big strengths was it's community which could be considered as 'social networking'.
3) CoH already had an in-game mechanism for displaying advertisements.
4) Advertisements could be added to the loading screen.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 11:50:51 PM »

Why?

1) Yahoo clearly wants to spend lots of money for anything remotely connected to 'social networking'.
2) One of CoH's big strengths was it's community which could be considered as 'social networking'.

yup.

Of course probably leave off the google pitch part in the yahoo pitch or any mention of google.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:31 AM »
send it in already.. step one is to find out if they are even interested..

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 02:50:58 AM »
ummm.... not to make it take any longer than it already has but I would like to mention that maybe the Google Glass should be addressed in the pitch.

I could forsee the mention of at least a costume part (head detail) that is in the shape of the google glass.

in addition, there should be some addressing of how the google glass could be used to interface with CoH stuff through google's website, this may have laready been discussed but I thought why not bring it up again to make sure it wasn;t excluded.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:00 AM »
I vote to send it now.

Speaking of Yahoo, they seem to be taking a page from Microsoft in order to shore up their lack of innovation as of late. I can't help but envision CoH becoming a "pay to win" model under the guise of Yahoo.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:38 AM »

Why?

I think Yahoo might be tapped out just now.  8)

But I was reading about the Tumblr acquisition last night, about which there seems to be uniform angst - except amongst Yahoo staff. Anyway, in one comment section some guy posted a picture of what Tumblr is likely to look like shortly after Yahoo takes the reins: it was hilarious, because it was true.

He drew a picture of the 'home" Tumblr screen and it had Yahoo! tags all over it.

"Brought to you by Yahoo!"

"Powered by Yahoo! mail!"

"Yahoo! friends!"

"Yahoo! mail"

"Yahoo! music"

"Yahoo! news!"

"Yahoo! stock quotes!"

"Flickr! Powered by Yahoo!"

"Horoscopes! Y shine!"

"Featured Yahoo! videos!"

Anyways there were like 50 tags, and its funny 'cause its true. If Yahoo! were to buy CoX, they would be a very heavy, immersion-breaking presence in the game. Now, at this point I want our game back so badly, I would tolerate that. But streamlined and elegant, Yahoo! is not. [I also think this Tumblr acquisition will turn out to be a financial disaster for them, but my opinion is meaningless in the scheme of things.]

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 04:27:36 AM »
Yahoo didn't do Flickr any good, that's for sure.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »
I think that we should wait for a while. Put up a website and some ads. Maybe go have some ice cream.

I'm kidding! Stop! Don't hit me!