Author Topic: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!  (Read 46008 times)

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Well, here's an interesting little quirk.  I'd file a bug, but it would appear that all I can do is search the bugs that have already been filed.

You need to read the bug screen more carefully. It does tell you what to do (you have to click the white text then click file a new bug), but it's not intuitive. I just unsummon and resummon the pet in the situation you had, so I only get one.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
On my cleric, who is level 25 now, I have paraded a vast train of enemies at another random person before. I know! I am a horrible person!!!!

.....I then healed them like crazy while I ran like a ninny and they killed everything. :x

Seriously the most fun I had in AGES. It was a hair's width from wiping a couple times. Biggest adrenaline rush I've had in a long time.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2013, 09:41:32 PM »
On my cleric, who is level 25 now, I have paraded a vast train of enemies at another random person before. I know! I am a horrible person!!!!

.....I then healed them like crazy while I ran like a ninny and they killed everything. :x

Seriously the most fun I had in AGES. It was a hair's width from wiping a couple times. Biggest adrenaline rush I've had in a long time.

Take just ONE person with your cleric at around level 18 or so (obviously you'll have to keep this in mind for a future character) and take on the Cloak Tower, just the two of you. Plan a night for it, it'll take a while. That "biggest adrenaline rush I've had in a long time" quote of yours, that's how I felt about soloing it, although I was using a Guardian Fighter built for invulnerability and mitigation. It's full of big packs but as you may recall, all of the big bosses call on ambushes (sometimes multiple ambushes) throughout the fight, which requires a lot of mob management during combat.

That's not the only adrenaline-pumping experience I've had in Neverwinter. I've had a few now. My second-favorite experience so far was my first time in the Orc Skirmish. After we took down the boss, everybody bailed my team. Not me. I checked my gear, chugged a couple of deity-gifted potions, and trudged past enemy lines to clear it out. A few moments later, I came running back with a small army of orcs behind me. By the end of that fight, the entire group of NPC guards at the barricade (and even the signature NPC there) were wiped out.

Back in I went, where I found a non-standard ogre of some sort. He was tougher and stronger than the others scattered around the usual Tower District. Towering over me, I remember my screen shaking when he'd bring his humongous club down on my shield; or how clever it felt other times to dodge around his legs and stab. It took quite a while to bring him down; I came close to death so many times, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. There's just something really frakking viscerally real about the combat in Neverwinter.

My Guardian Fighter hasn't died even once, but I wouldn't be as proud of that if I hadn't challenged that personal record so many times. Last night I actually had a nightmare that he was finally brought down in combat--but it was while trying to rescue a friend at least. Wouldn't be a bad the worst way to go.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:10:20 AM by Captain Electric »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
I won't disagree that if you're running around and don't know you're being followed that it's not griefing.  But when you're taking damage from the parade that's on your back ('cause we can all see the numbers flying through the air), and some of those enemies can zip their way across the screen into close combat in an instant, it's hard to claim you don't know you're being followed.

Even allowing for benefit of the doubt, it's hard to think that someone who is running in a straight line along a road and then veers over to jump up onto the cliffs where you're standing out of range of aggro, zips by you and leaves a couple spawns of demons behind, and immediately returns to the following the road did that "accidentally."

At any rate, it hasn't been an issue in Vellosk, so that's been isolated to Helm's Hold so far.

It doesn't matter if you know you have the aggro.  Indeed, sometimes that's the very reason one is running from said aggro.  Retreat is actually a valid, and often sensible, tactic.  And it's a tactic available to everyone, even - perhaps especially - people who find a horde of unwanted devils bearing down on them.

Now, when someone trains aggro on you and then while you're dealing with that pointedly grabs more aggro and trains it on you - that's the sort of malicious intent that actually constitutes griefing.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »
You need to read the bug screen more carefully. It does tell you what to do (you have to click the white text then click file a new bug), but it's not intuitive.
Ah, yes.  I see it now.  I was looking for a button on the bottom of the window where "I have this issue" and "Add more info" are.  Thanks.

It doesn't matter if you know you have the aggro.  Indeed, sometimes that's the very reason one is running from said aggro.  Retreat is actually a valid, and often sensible, tactic.  And it's a tactic available to everyone, even - perhaps especially - people who find a horde of unwanted devils bearing down on them.

Now, when someone trains aggro on you and then while you're dealing with that pointedly grabs more aggro and trains it on you - that's the sort of malicious intent that actually constitutes griefing.
Maybe I'm just weird then.  If I'm retreating to buy myself enough time for a potion to recharge or break line of sight from archers, etc., I go out of my way to avoid running toward other players.  If running toward other players is my only option, I dive back into the fray and take what I have coming to me for being stupid enough to pull too much aggro to begin with.

Edit:  Combined successive posts into one.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »
I saw that post, eabrace.

And I was about to say, "No, that just makes you a hero."  ;)

Edit: Oh there it is again. You and your mod magic!  :P

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »
Maybe I'm just weird then.  If I'm retreating to buy myself enough time for a potion to recharge or break line of sight from archers, etc., I go out of my way to avoid running toward other players.  If running toward other players is my only option, I dive back into the fray and take what I have coming to me for being stupid enough to pull too much aggro to begin with.

I figure that if they can deal with it directly I just handed them XP.  And if they can't deal with it directly, they can run if they so choose.  When I have a moment to spare it a thought, that is - usually I'm intent on escaping (or getting to the contact to turn in a mission as the case may be) and barely notice anyone who happens to be in my path (which often involves veering off the road for various reasons). 

In potentially related news, I often gravitate towards True Neutral.  I wish you could pick alignment in game, but I think they largely ditched it for 4E.  Maybe I'll start using the character bio section to note my alignment, just because. :)
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
This debate-behind-the-debate just gave me a cool idea for a Foundry arc. The "antagonist" (notice the mock quotation) could be someone who lured a pack of Spellplagued (or whatever) into a busy market area while trying to protect himself and his belongings, leading to the death or infection of dozens of innocents. This of course leads to an investigation by the Neverember Guard and allied mercs ;D adventurers, which is where the protagonist player character(s) comes in.

During the length of the arc, the antagonist just wants to protect himself and his property, and to be left alone; and it becomes increasingly clear that he is ingeniously capable of devising schemes toward that end. Naturally, in the course of the Guard and party's attempts to bring the "killer" to justice, more collateral damage ensues. In the end, should the party be victorious, the equivalent of a mass-murdering super villain is caught, but the villain denies any guilt--a stance proven genuine as far as the villain is aware--by a mind-reading spell at the Court of Truth.

The villain is sentenced anyway, of course; regardless of his personal feelings, he is a danger to society. But questions remain about whether it was indeed society that created this super villain.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:48:25 PM by Captain Electric »

Heraclea

• Minion
« Reply #148 on: May 28, 2013, 05:01:54 AM »

I must admit doing this.  If I get too much aggro in the open world, I light it out for the last campfire I had seen, often pulling even more mobs in the process.  I do find that mobs pulled this way continue to drop quest items as well, and the game seems robustly designed to avoid grieving; it doesn't take much to get in on the rewards for killing a mob. 

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2013, 08:03:06 AM »
I must admit doing this.  If I get too much aggro in the open world, I light it out for the last campfire I had seen, often pulling even more mobs in the process.  I do find that mobs pulled this way continue to drop quest items as well, and the game seems robustly designed to avoid grieving; it doesn't take much to get in on the rewards for killing a mob.

It happens, generally though I am pretty sure the trains aren't suppose to attack bystanders.  I have been attacked but I have also seen them ignore me and just go along their way.  Although I try to help out people when they have a choo choo going.  I have herded a few times on purpose though.  I wasn't really training because I wasn't bringing them anywhere or to anyone.  But I have run around zones and got as many enemies as I could with my GWF friend and we would just AoE them down and complete 2-3 quests at once.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:35:42 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2013, 05:41:21 PM »
I started a topic in the NW forums General Discussion, "How I stopped worrying and learned to love the beta label", in which I explain the history behind the paid beta trend and how it benefits some developers. Amazingly, after three pages the discussion is full of people discussing and agreeing and disagreeing with each other in civil tones. If you've spent any time on the NW forums, then you must realize that hell should be freezing over any moment now.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »
All the paid Beta thing means to me is that I won't have to start over when they wipe the servers of whatever mess exists due to all the beta bugginess.

kwsapphire

• Underling
    • coloden
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
Hi guys! I'm not sure if guild recruiting is frowned upon, if so please feel free to delete this post.

I just wanted to let y'all know that Repeat Offenders (yep, the ones from CoH), have a guild on the Dragon shard in Neverwinter. Most of the people in the guild are former CoH players, though there are a few new people we're bringing into the fold. If you'd like a casual, friendly guild please look us up!

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #153 on: June 09, 2013, 08:29:52 PM »
Too bad this isn't set in Al-Qadim or else you could've changed the name to Repeat Effendi.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2013, 04:42:54 AM »
Drum roll, please; the furious debates can finally end over whether paid betas are live launches with twirly fake mustaches...till the next dubious MMO goes into beta.

For anyone living under a rock, Neverwinter "officially" launched today, June 20, 2013!

And with it, a detailed announcement of features for its upcoming first expansion, called a "module" and named Fury of the Feywild, located on the upcoming expansion webpage.

(For the OP, here's my review. ;))

Speaking personally, throughout the past few months in closed and open beta, Cryptic has done two great big things--renewed my faith in Cryptic, and renewed my faith in the fantasy MMORPG genre; and to some extent, reinvigorated my faith in the evolution and improvement of MMOs in general, along with the help of other innovative titles such as The Secret World and City of Steam, and Linkrealms (for being an indie MMO made by three dudes), and the Earth and Beyond Emulator (for proving that "out of print" MMOs can be turned into well-balanced, full-featured "used books"). And they didn't have to invent a new setting to do it, instead turning to a forty year-old franchise that's as diverse and imaginative as the many skilled hands who have added to it over the years.

The pre-launch event has been fun, with portals opening up all over the heart of the city and Valindra Shadowmantle's minions spilling out to cause trouble (a nod to worlds gone by, perhaps). This time, thankfully, there were more than eight survivors left to tell the tale. And reap all the loot. Especially that part. It'll be great to be able to say "I was there," in the years to come, which is something I wasn't able to say about City of Heroes' humble beginnings.

It helps that the most evolved edition of the Foundry is in Neverwinter. I've been picking up games for user generated content ever since the age of 9, with Adventure Construction Set, one of EA's greatest hits...in 1985. I picked up City of Heroes in March 2009 because of Issue 14: Mission Architect. I know it ran some people off, but it also brought a community of storytellers together. I met some of my best gaming pals through Mission Architect, and developed for the first time a notion of having "favorite authors" inside of a game who weren't developers. Amazing times we live in.

After reading about Neverwinter's Foundry tools, I'm pretty sure things are about to get even more amazing. Here's hoping some of my favorite authors move to Neverwinter (and if you're reading this and ever received praise from me for your arcs in City of Heroes, please reply or PM to let me know). The other day, I tipped my first favorite Neverwinter author 500 Astral Diamonds--a neat feature--his name is Zebular, and he created a story arc named "The Dweomerkeepers", which is probably the best introduction to the richness of the setting that I could have hoped for. You should check it out (and remember to click "Ask another question" or its equivalent before walking away from contact NPCs--you'll be rewarded with a mother load of lore).

As a newcomer to the setting, but not pen-and-paper universes, I never expected Neverwinter and the Forgotten Realms to be such interesting places. And Cryptic displays the grandness of the setting masterfully, with all of its peoples, conflicts and history given much more than cursory nods. Yes, Cryptic, the same folks who bought and bafooned their way through the Champions property without actually championing much of the setting. The writing isn't quite up to par with The Secret World or some parts of the Lord of the Rings Online, but I'd call Neverwinter a close third that actually matches toe-to-toe in some story arcs, and makes up for the rest by just being the Forgotten Realms. They've come a long way from Millennium City, and it shows like the bright, silvery light over Celestia. Oh, heh, sorry...that's the astral realm of a triad of lawful gods in the Forgotten Realms universe.

And here's hoping they bottle some of that up and take it back to Millennium City.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 08:52:26 AM by Captain Electric »

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
And with it, a detailed announcement of features for its upcoming first expansion, called a "module" and named Fury of the Feywild, located on the upcoming expansion webpage.

Blah.  Wake me up when they add archers, bards, or druids.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2013, 05:13:36 AM »
I will. The only MMO that would drag me away from my new home is (of course), the CoH community server, or one of the Plan Z games. I'm not expecting to repack anytime real soon.

I know they were trying to get rangers out before (or alongside) the "launch", but I'm okay with it if they're taking their time to polish them off.

Rangers and warlocks are the classes that have been announced thus far as being "worked on", but I wouldn't be surprised if druids are a surprise that comes with the expansion. As for bards, well, I've thought about that too. I think it'll be a real test of Cryptic to do them right (assuming they ever do).

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »
I'm stupidly excited about Warlocks being announced because then I might finally lure my husband into game. :)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2013, 05:34:24 AM »
Or if they add the dragonborn race.  That would ignite a spark of interest again.  Somehow, my aforementioned disillusionment with and subsequent deletion of the cleric ended up killing my motivation to play.  I hate when that happens.

I'm mildly curious about Weaponsmithing, though, and how many hours it might take to be able to make an Axe - and then what ridiculous amount of diamonds it will take to apply that appearance to a decent weapon.