Author Topic: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!  (Read 49574 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Review the Neverwinter MMO for me!
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »
Shirts and pants are basically the items that you craft to use.

Many of my characters are running around without one or both of those items altogether.  The bonuses they give seem rather tiny and you can't disable their appearance like you can with helmets.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
Be nice if there was an accompanying app you could buy/sub to, for auction house and crafting out-of-game. I'd be on that like white on rice. I am obsessed with my WoW app, frinstance, which allows me to talk to my guild and check on my auctions.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:25 AM »
Be nice if there was an accompanying app you could buy/sub to, for auction house and crafting out-of-game. I'd be on that like white on rice. I am obsessed with my WoW app, frinstance, which allows me to talk to my guild and check on my auctions.
I thought they had an app for the gateway in addition to the normal web access point.  Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2013, 02:44:09 AM »

I thought they had an app for the gateway in addition to the normal web access point.  Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though.

They do, it's a mobile-friendly web site at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com that will allow you to do crafting, interact with the auction house, see your character stats, etc. without having to load up the client.

So...  Want to join our guild?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: May 21, 2013, 04:01:18 AM »
Slow down there, cowboy.  That sounds a little too social for me.  :)
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:47 AM »
Speaking of guilds, I'm annoyed at how you start them.  You have to have a full party of five.  Normally, my friends and I would have a small guild made up of our various characters, but it's impossible.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2013, 06:37:56 AM »
They do, it's a mobile-friendly web site at http://gateway.playneverwinter.com that will allow you to do crafting, interact with the auction house, see your character stats, etc. without having to load up the client.

!!!!!

Well, there went all my free time
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:50 AM »

It's slightly irritating in that what you can't do is purchase the consumables you need from the vendor, so if you need more charcoal/salt etc, you have to buy it off the AH (you're stuffed atm) or log into the game and the interface is a bit clunky (doesn't keep your place in the list unlike in game), but apart from that it's very useful.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:07 AM »
It's slightly irritating in that what you can't do is purchase the consumables you need from the vendor, so if you need more charcoal/salt etc, you have to buy it off the AH (you're stuffed atm) or log into the game and the interface is a bit clunky (doesn't keep your place in the list unlike in game), but apart from that it's very useful.

Ya it would be nice if you could buy that stuff.  I also once spent about 100k AD on rushing an upgrade for my companion assets when trying to just see how much it would be.  But it is super nice to have around.

Many of my characters are running around without one or both of those items altogether.  The bonuses they give seem rather tiny and you can't disable their appearance like you can with helmets.
  They get slightly better when you start crafting blue/green versions of them.  Still nothing huge but its better then nothing.  Although I found some nice blue pants off of a Dungeon Delve chest.  Also some apparently just don't show up visually so you could find some like that.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 11:19:37 AM »
Who all is on Mindflayer?

If you're into RP:
http://www.neverwinter-rp.com/
http://www.neverwinter-rp.com/home/m/12531279/article/1436954/page/2

And does everyone here know about the CoX channel? It's a global channel across all 3 Cryptic games for City of Heroes refugees. I replaced Zone chat with it. The conversation there is generally friendly (better than Zone chat certainly), sometimes we have arguments but then we hug afterwards.  :P

Cape Radio also has a channel.

Anyone here can add me as a friend if you want.

My global is @Captain-Electric

Pretty shocking huh?!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
By the way for those of you just now looking at Gateway, the AH isn't working at the moment, they are fixing a bug that popped up Sunday. The Astral Diamond/Zen exchange is also down because of the same bug.

Also by the way, there is an Auctioneer at the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector's Enclave that will actually dig through the AH for you and recommend nice gear you might want.

0nehanklap

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2013, 04:50:11 PM »

I dont like the game too much. I think only one kind of clothing is very bad.
I cant understand why you all like this, comming from the CoX Char generator. Char generation at CO and even STO has more options.

...Lydia Frost MM

I feel much the same way as far as clothing, and teaming is nowhere near the coh level of polish.  Still, it's a pretty game, and has an oddly enjoyable combat style.   I can see clothing improving as the game ages:  the appearance option on most items allows for a pretty good variety already.  I was running in pretty drab looking armor that I'd already enhanced for power - then found the "Bloodscar Armor" and realized that for a few AD I could sacrifice the bloodscar & overlay that appearance onto my own armor, then add some dye to make a decent custom appearance... So as more armors get added to the game, more costume options will be available.  Not a bad system, although not fully customizable.  I can't make my Full Plate Armor look like a chainmail bikini, but within same-types, overlays are a good compromise.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Also by the way, there is an Auctioneer at the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector's Enclave that will actually dig through the AH for you and recommend nice gear you might want.
Is there some way to bring up the Auction House that doesn't do that?  I see that every time I try to open the interface.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2013, 06:27:16 PM »
Is there some way to bring up the Auction House that doesn't do that?  I see that every time I try to open the interface.

Well you can either go to the AH, or you can hit the "buy similar" button on that screen to get at the AH.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
Well you can either go to the AH, or you can hit the "buy similar" button on that screen to get at the AH.
I always end up hitting the "buy similar" button to get to the interface.  Didn't see a separate Auction House on the map.  I'll have to look for that next time I log in.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
I always end up hitting the "buy similar" button to get to the interface.  Didn't see a separate Auction House on the map.  I'll have to look for that next time I log in.

Of course it's not working atm, but it's behind and below the mailman.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2013, 11:29:15 PM »

AHHHH-ha, yeah, I think you're mistaking the Auctioneer for the actual Auction House. Now that I think about it, I bet a lot of people do that. I'm pretty sure I'd have done it too if I had stumbled across the Auctioneer first.

Like Minotaur said, the Auction House (it's actually not a house, but an open-air stage on a platform :P) is behind the postal clerk, and down the steps. You can't miss it, there's always a big crowd over there--well, maybe not right now, but you get my drift.

It's actually a bad idea to do all your shopping through the Auctioneer exclusively. He's not going to list everything you might find practical (or just fun) from the Auction House. He also doesn't list every category of purchasable goods. And much of what he does list, you'll have the opportunity to earn shortly through gameplay anyway. I can't dispute that the Auctioneer is a useful NPC, but while I do check in on him from time to time, I have not actually bought anything from him yet.

I held off on even visiting the Auction House until I'd had some adventures in the Tower District. It's an important feature, but shouldn't be a priority while you're first learning the game. In fact, a lot of people skip right past the NPC gear vendors where you can buy stuff with gold, which is a mistake in my opinion.

Some of that gear is actually pretty decent. My solo Cloak Tower escapade was insanely difficult and long (and FUN, I never got bored but still, I doubt I will ever put myself through that again), but I never died once, and I did it all with gold-bought gear, except for a Graycloak's Legacy sword and insignia, and I went through about 100 health stones from one of the founder packs  :-[. I'm sure some min-maxing, twinked-out powergamer could have soloed it in a couple of hours. But the point is, it was doable.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:35:50 PM by Captain Electric »

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2013, 06:42:45 AM »
I'm just about done with Neverdeath at this point, but I'm not finding that I need anything more than what I've had dropped for me as far as equipment goes.  I've been selling some of my drops, but haven't actually bought anything.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
I just hit level 19 (and still have quests left, no content wall as of yet) on my cleric (of course I made a cleric) and I've only died once - geared only in quest/drop whites/greens. Haven't really found anything that can overcome my heals/damage output unless I jumble too many groups together (which is where my single death came from).

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »
I have to say that this game is at least holding my interest, and has a little 'City' feel to it. Still getting used to the controls, but they are WAY better than in games I tried and uninstalled. (Rift, Last Chaos and CO.) This will keep me bust until Elderscrolls Online goes live. THAT is the one I will probably really want to get into. I loved all my Morrowind and Oblivion adventures and always wished that it would become an MMO.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.