Author Topic: www.cityofheroes.ca  (Read 12999 times)

pewlagon

• Boss
Re: www.cityofheroes.ca
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2013, 03:09:05 AM »
I know we just met, but I love you CrazyBoy!

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2013, 04:40:02 AM »
I'm grinning with indescribable joy at seeing the CoH webpage again, and weeping at the fact that it doesn't mean the game is back.

... yet.

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2013, 05:49:50 PM »
I know one thing that would make me laugh and smile and maybe cry a little.
Put an AP 33 server status on the server page. Heh. Just for laughs giggles and well to kind of immortalize AP 33 even more.

Maybe that's just me being silly though.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
I know one thing that would make me laugh and smile and maybe cry a little.
Put an AP 33 server status on the server page. Heh. Just for laughs giggles and well to kind of immortalize AP 33 even more.

Maybe that's just me being silly though.

Can I be silly too then? Cause I'd love to see that. :)

Course if it was me I'd show the AP33 server as permanently up and running. But that might cause some confusion, so maybe not.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
Can I be silly too then? Cause I'd love to see that. :)

Course if it was me I'd show the AP33 server as permanently up and running. But that might cause some confusion, so maybe not.

I second that. Maybe it could be given a special designation so everyone knows the server isn't really up?

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
I second that. Maybe it could be given a special designation so everyone knows the server isn't really up?

I vote for the server status of "Eternal" instead of "UP" :)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
I vote for the server status of "Eternal" instead of "UP" :)

And the voting is now closed. Congratulation! A winner is you! 8)

Living Lightning

• Underling
  • For the Galaxy!
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
I've been lurking around the Titan forums since a bit before City of X shut down and you know what? I had to go and make an account just so I could say thank you. This is so awesome!

EDIT-ADD: Holy poop! You have the comics?! Yes!!
@Living Lightning and "Guardian Magnus" in the Galaxy Guardians.

sorinkon

• Lieutenant
  • CoH WILL RISE AGAIN IN MINECRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • COH Minecraft
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:53 AM »
anyone else try to hit download to see if it would work?

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2013, 04:54:18 AM »
First place I went was News > Server Status.

Damn!

Me too.  :'(

And Thank you.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
Thank you!  I've spent the evening on the forums, and as I read I tried to recall what issue I joined at and couldn't, but with your screenshots of the issue, I found it was issue 8.  Issue 7 screenshots just had me going "huh?"  And I recall being deeply suspicious of Wentworths coming in the next issue, flying over and seeing the empty buildings  (I loved Wentworths).  Thanks, again! Robin
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »
If you need anything, I also have a record of the CoH website.  As soon as the shutdown was announced, I spent about 2 days ripping (nearly) everything off of it, including all the videos, screenshots, podcasts, comics, extras, etc.  I didn't manage to archive the full news archive, however, as I ran out of time that I needed to spend playing and recording about 2TB worth of storylines, mishes, TFs and Trials using BandiCam for 3 months.

My e-mail is janessavr@yahoo.com.

Let me know if you need anything.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
I just did a google search for something CoH related, and discovered a sweet image of the 2008 costume contest winner - and following it to the original page, found this site. Awesome work!
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
What... WHAT? HOW DID I MISS SEEING THIS BEFORE?

Whatever. Now I have... Holy crap this is fantastic! Great great work!

BTW - in regards to some of the concept art that's missing from the Going Rogue section? Check out David Nakayama (Pixelsaurus) at Deviant Art. He's got most of it there.

http://pixel-saurus.deviantart.com/gallery/33979237

twinfang

• Underling
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »
 Wow, great job on this site -  and just when I thought I had shaken my CoX obsession too lol.  This game needs to be rebooted bad...

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2013, 02:33:09 PM »
Imagine you're stumbling on to this site from some other source. Imagine that you haven't been told "It's a fan site!" prior to landing here. Or worse, imagine some confused friend told you that the game was back and pointed you here.

http://www.cityofheroes.ca/
"Nature Affinity - Get it now on the Paragon Market!"
"Play Free Now!"
"Refer a Friend - Receive Free Game Time"
Yes, there is stuff on the page that says it's a fan site. But it looks very much like the live site and it has a LOT of language that makes it appear it's linked to a working game.

Clicking "Play For Free" takes you to...
http://www.cityofheroes.ca/freedom/signup.html
"Create a City of Heroes Game Account"
"Sign up to receive the NCsoft newsletter, beta announcements, and other exclusive offers."
"Sign up with your current NCsoft Master Account"
I have no idea what happens when you submit that form, but everything else about the page makes it appear like this is an official NCsoft sign up page.

This looks like a clever scam. I can trust that it's not, but even still, it's potentially very confusing and misleading to anyone who might stumble onto it.

There are tons of working links that tie into NCsoft's actual sites (such as "Account Management"). That's something scammers do all the time for a reason: it helps confuse people into thinking that your site is part of the legitimate company's family of websites.

The fact that you're mixing posting new updates in the news feed confuses it even further, because it makes it seem like a live, current site. Once you have enough news updates to push "This is a fan site" stuff off the front page, it'll be even worse.

As it stands, it's very likely people are going to stumble onto this randomly eventually and think the game is back and have a moment of soaring hope... and then have that come crashing down when they finally figure out that's not true. :P

It's also likely some people are going to think it's a scam and avoid it. If I had encountered it without the context given here, I would've been convinced it was a scam. I might have even reported it to NCsoft or to its web hosting company.

I recommend you do one of two things:

If you're looking to archive the site as it was at closure, then put a banner across the top of every page that says very clearly that this is an archive. Then get rid of your updates, because they don't belong. The news that was on the site at closure is what should be there instead.

If you're looking to preserve the look and feel of the site as a portal to a fan site, then nuke all the stuff that makes it appear to be linked to a working game or to NCsoft.

Making it both a portal to a fan site and an archive is confusing; they're purposes at odds with one another. If you insist on keeping it that way though, then at the very least put the banner across the top.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
The "Create Account" button on his site doesn't work when the form is filled out.

As in, it sends you no where, and in the site code, it says "unclickable" or some such.

The "Game Downloads" button simply sends you to a "Not Found" page.

I do agree, though. About the links everywhere.

It should simply be a "frozen in time" archive/snapshot of the website before it went down, IMO.

With as you said, a banner/words stating it is a fansite/not official on every page.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:00:55 PM by Arachnion »
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive