Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60744 times)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2013, 01:56:28 AM »
It's Elude. It's supposed to make you miss...

I've read this a few times now, and I'm still laughing at it
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
To be fair, back when it was 10,000 monkeys, the monkeys didn't have a ranged attack, and there wasn't an aggro or AoE target limit, so an SS/Inv Tanker could easily round up and Foot Stomp a hundred to a hundred and fifty monkeys at a time; even with my AR/EM Blaster, zooming around with Fly on Monkey Island to aggro a couple dozen spawns and drag them into a group under me where Boost Range, Build Up, and Full Auto would leave the ground carpeted in fart gas from exploding monkeys.

I seem to remember them always having ranged attacks

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »
According to the Issue 2 powers.bin file, the Rikti_Monkey_Melee definition only included the Monkey_Brawl and Gas powers.

In the Issue 3 powers.bin file, the Rikti_Monkey_Melee definition included the Monkey_Brawl, Psychic_Dart, and Gas powers.

Since the Zookeeper Badge didn't get reduced to 1,000 monkeys until Issue 5, there would have been a good eight months that it was slightly more difficult to get with the added ranged power working against you.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2013, 05:03:54 AM »
I'll miss the giant statues...I use to stare at them when I was a newb.
..... 'City of Heroes' size statue in real life.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:52 PM »
I'll miss the giant statues...I use to stare at them when I was a newb.
..... 'City of Heroes' size statue in real life.

Lol I stopped and stared from beginning to end. Sometimes I'd log on just to climb all over them or stand on Atlas' Globe. Which was your favorite?

Also awesome picture. That statue is def CoH worthy

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »
Lol I stopped and stared from beginning to end. Sometimes I'd log on just to climb all over them or stand on Atlas' Globe. Which was your favorite?

Also awesome picture. That statue is def CoH worthy

isn't it though?

when I saw it I had to look it up.   

it's in Russia it's called "The Motherland Calls" built in 1967 and at the time it was the largest statue in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

Canine

• Lieutenant
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
*cuts in with a little good-natured teasing about having a typo in a post talking about someone else's typo*

;) ;D

I thought that protocol demanded a typographical error in any post commenting upon another such?  If so, then you sir/madam, are remiss and I demand satisfaction!

:)

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »
I thought that protocol demanded a typographical error in any post commenting upon another such?  If so, then you sir/madam, are remiss and I demand satisfaction!

:)

*gasp* Oh crikey your right! My posy didn't have a tyop in it at all! My bas :-[

I bumbly apogolize.

(Hey wait, if a post is spelled correctly does that make it typo-negative?)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

(Hey wait, if a post is spelled correctly does that make it typo-negative?)

out of the fire

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
isn't it though?

when I saw it I had to look it up.   

it's in Russia it's called "The Motherland Calls" built in 1967 and at the time it was the largest statue in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

Even the title is epic! I would have spent many an hour trying to stand on the tip of that sword in-game - if it had existed in-game, of course

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
Even the title is epic! I would have spent many an hour trying to stand on the tip of that sword in-game - if it had existed in-game, of course

Yup, me too. And once I got there...

/e popdance    8)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Or how about one of my favorite all time missions: "Defeat 50 Nemesis Snipers in Founders Falls"  These only appeared on one building and only during the games night time.

I remember there being at least six places where you could find Nemesis snipers at night. There was the building on the west side that had a Nemesis sniper about 2/3 of the way up on a ledge on the east side. To the south and a little east of that building, on the roof of a building overlooking the courtyard with a contact (Peter Steinitz? He had a tie-dye shirt, IIRC) in it was another Nemesis sniper spawn. To the east of that, on the 'island' that had the Founders Falls PPD station, there was a 'saddle' with a lower roof between two higher roofs; the north and south sides of the lower roof would alternate as spawn points for a Nemesis sniper. The separate building to the southeast of that spawn on the same 'island' would spawn a Nemesis sniper on either the NW or SW corner. The building on the west side of the road two blocks south of the hospital would spawn a Nemesis sniper on one of the lower canopies sticking out from the building, and there was another spawn point on the building on the west side of that road all the way to the south.

Thinking about it, it's a little disturbing that I actually remember all of these, despite it being almost six months past the shutdown of the game, and even longer since the snipers were more than an occasional nuisance; I would get shot at by the Crey snipers on the east side a lot more often, given the flying route between the tram station and Icon back before all the trainers became costume-change contacts.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
..you were on a team and you died and your teammates would offer to SELL you an awaken?
No

..if you had a defender that was NOT an empath no one would even look at you twice?
Never remember healers really being wanted all that much - since damage mitigation has always been the name of the game.

..when you would see people at level 1 standing on the tram in Atlas not moving and dinging every 3 seconds?
Yep

..you were stuck with whatever butt ugly costume you made because there was no tailor yet?
No

..as a tank you could herd 100+ mobs on one map and as someone with an AOE attack you could hit 100+ mobs in one shot?
Yep - the werewolf maps were da bomb.

..regeneration was actually good? (Before ED when you could 6 slot heals and get something like 220% regeneration rates)
Never did get around to making a /regen until after they were nerfed to oblivion. Oh well.

..before there was AE so you didn't have level 50's in Atlas Park asking how to get to Steel Canyon?
Yep.  But all the lowbies begging for PLs in PI were just as bad.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
No
Never remember healers really being wanted all that much - since damage mitigation has always been the name of the game.
Yep
No
Yep - the werewolf maps were da bomb.
Never did get around to making a /regen until after they were nerfed to oblivion. Oh well.
Yep.  But all the lowbies begging for PLs in PI were just as bad.

I can see you didn't play from the beginning as if you did you would have experienced the "We can't do this mission / TF unless we have a healer!" I have been on teams that would cancel doing a mission or TF if they could not find an empath.

It was much later in the games life that people finally realized that most of the defenders actually were more useful then an empath.

And the people begging for PL were bad but I hated people that got to level 50 without ever leaving Atlas Park. Then had no idea what the hell to do.

Of course this was for first time players, only because without real experience in the game 95% of the time they would be useless doing missions or TFs.

I even was on some TF's where an AE baby would quit to change toons thinking he can just come back to the team like in AE, and then get really upset when he finds he can't get back in to the TF.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
One of my first characters was a /Empathy Defender called MedicalMan on Pinnacle. I credit my time with him being why I was a Healadin when I eventually went over to WoW.

I'm glad Healing had a diminished role over time. The game became much more flexible and fun when Healers weren't required.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:15 PM »
I'm glad Healing had a diminished role over time. The game became much more flexible and fun when Healers weren't required.

That's something that is going to forever bug me when I wander MMOs. I'm so used to heals falling under 'nice, but not required' that I can't get used to other systems properly. Still bugged me that in FFXI my best job was DRG, but I ended up subbing /WHM for most linkshell things because I was more useful just sitting back and healing.

Unfortunately for me, FFXIV appears to be heading the same route. I feel bad for any CNJ/WHMs already.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:28 AM »

When the Pinnacle went down, my toon was dancing on Atlas' butt. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Call me contrary but I always though 'Clear Mind' was more important that Heals.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2013, 01:26:58 AM »
Call me contrary but I always though 'Clear Mind' was more important that Heals.

Yup.  But it usually requires achieving the epiphany that most players can usually take care of themselves if they could just move.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:09 AM »
Yup.  But it usually requires achieving the epiphany that most players can usually take care of themselves if they could just move.

Oh sure, it sounds simple when you say it like that...     ;)