Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60718 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2013, 04:14:55 AM »
I remember no tailor in Atlas (very recent) or Pocket D...I actually made it quiet often with a level 2 through KR to the tailor in IP with the VIP jet pack.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:56 AM »
I remember no tailor in Atlas (very recent) or Pocket D...I actually made it quiet often with a level 2 through KR to the tailor in IP with the VIP jet pack.

I found the Steel Canyon one to be easier to get to, and a bit safer.  Of course, it seemed like every time I went to the one in IP someone's ambush was hanging about near the door.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2013, 05:41:36 AM »

Oh man. I remember back in I16, when they removed level restrictions on hazard zones. One day it hit me that there was a tailor in the RWZ base... and you didn't have to pass a single mob to get there. I could finally reach a tailor safely even at level 1. It was ridiculous how happy that made me ;D

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2013, 06:10:31 AM »
Is it just me, or did anyone else actually get an almost retro-arcade feeling from trying to run from one end of the Hollows to the other without a travel power?

SirKittles

• Underling
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2013, 08:25:39 AM »
Is it just me, or did anyone else actually get an almost retro-arcade feeling from trying to run from one end of the Hollows to the other without a travel power?

I could never do that, ahhh, that would be terrible.

Although it probably wasn't my favorite zone, the Hollows certainly holds the most City of Heroes nostalgia for me. I actually loved the feel of the entire zone, and its almost labyrinthine set-up, full of various thugs, Outcasts, Trolls, monsters, and etc. I can remember most of the map like it was yesterday.
"What do you think, everyone?"

glimmershade

• Underling
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2013, 01:11:13 PM »

I know I took pride in being able to get safely to missions safely with nothing but skill and sprint. It was like getting around the Hollows was City's own little mini game. I thought the game was less for it when the safeguard temps came out and you could skip those challenges. Seems to me that coincided with the demise of Hollows teams. Time was, if you wanted to level from 5 to almost 20, you went to the Hollows. That's were everyone went. Police band missions and safeguards seemed to be the end of that era, sadly for me.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »
Kronos has a hold! Noob!!!!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
Time was, if you wanted to level from 5 to almost 20, you went to the Hollows. That's were everyone went. Police band missions and safeguards seemed to be the end of that era, sadly for me.

Well for me, the Hollows was a regular part of my leveling path. When I first started playing I ran missions all the time, but I had one too many experiences dodging through a +5 level area to get to the mission door. After that I did nearly all my leveling through street sweeping... Atlas from 1-6, Hollows from 7-12, Steel up to 19 or 20, and Talos after that. Not too many of my characters got past Talos, too little play time for that many alts hehe.

It was never exactly crowded there, but I was rarely alone. So not everybody forgot about good old Eastgate. :)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
I spent some time in the Perez maze with a high level character to finally figure it out.  I didn't draw out a map, instead, I tried to memorized the areas where the hard-to-see forks in the roads are.  Missing those is how I usually start going in circles.

On the other hand, I have yet to figure out how to get out of the Gulch on foot. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

glimmershade

• Underling
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
On the other hand, I have yet to figure out how to get out of the Gulch on foot.

Heh. First of all, you ought not go into the gulch until you had a travel power at 14 (when that was the level for travel powers.) :-P

But actually iirc there were some broken roads on the west side of the gulch that made kind of a rramp that you could run/leap your way up and out.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2013, 06:56:07 PM »
Hollows was better before they changed it. Felt more dangerous, sinister. More gunfire. Was a direct contrast to Atlas Park.

All the goons became lethargic listless slobs just laying around and low level heroes could run just about anywhere with less risk. I felt Flight should have been earned. HOVER was meant for people to later appreciate getting Flight. CoH seemed to have relaxed the effort on flight ability towards the last few years.

I admit Hollows did need a Hospital. That was a good change.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »

Is fulcrum shift a hold?

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2013, 01:38:01 AM »
I know I took pride in being able to get safely to missions safely with nothing but skill and sprint. It was like getting around the Hollows was City's own little mini game. I thought the game was less for it when the safeguard temps came out and you could skip those challenges. Seems to me that coincided with the demise of Hollows teams. Time was, if you wanted to level from 5 to almost 20, you went to the Hollows. That's were everyone went. Police band missions and safeguards seemed to be the end of that era, sadly for me.

Agree.   I thought the old Hollows was better.  More of a challenge.  Fun. 

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:21 AM »
I admit Hollows did need a Hospital. That was a good change.

Agreed

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »

you forget to take your meds again prof?

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2013, 03:22:48 PM »
you forget to take your meds again prof?

Nope. That was Lucas response to the griping after he spawned a Kronos at the Hami raid.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
Although it probably wasn't my favorite zone, the Hollows certainly holds the most City of Heroes nostalgia for me. I actually loved the feel of the entire zone, and its almost labyrinthine set-up, full of various thugs, Outcasts, unicorns, monsters, and etc. I can remember most of the map like it was yesterday.

Up until the point where the zone got revamped, it was a staple for my characters in the early-to-middle teens after the introduction of IOs. I would get my characters to 12, switch to IOs (which were better than DOs), switch back to SOs for the 22-31 range, then back to IOs from 32 on up to 50. Because Luck Charms were always so expensive on the market, I would take characters into the Hollows from Skyway and roam the south end of the zone mugging CoT Mages (preferably the Madness Mages) for drops; green-con Madness Mages were a good source of salvage, with a fair rate of Luck Charm drops. When the zone was revamped, the hydra appeared in the water, the Trolls took over the eastern half of the south end of the zone, and the spawn rate of the CoT bosses dropped like a stone; it stopped being a viable place to grind for salvage because of the decrease in drop rate from all the minions that you now saw instead of bosses.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Just remembered this one...

There use to be a bug with the Black Wand veteran reward power where if you had the wand out the animation for some powers would be changed to an animation of swinging the wand, and power effects would be cast out of the wand itself.(May have worked with the normal temp power version as well, but never tested it...)

I enjoyed this the most on my Fire/Rad controller who was Fairy themed, even though it only worked with a handful of her radiation powers... I was sad when the devs made a bunch of attack animation changes that fixed and removed that bug...

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »

Ah, I miss the old Hollows, leaving my char hovering to get to mish door on a bio break only to find out he went too close to a rooftop or a hill and got killed 20 yards away from mission entrance, then taking the death express to AP Hospital, back to Hollows, rinse and repeat (this time hovering higher :) ). I also miss spending two or three hours to clear the whole map on Atta's mission, that one was usually worth three or four levels... ah, I guess temporary travel powers made life easier, just not necessarily more exciting.-   

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #159 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
'Frostfire' yielded some of my best team experiences.  It could be extremely challenging for 8 man teams.