Author Topic: Gleefully Disregarding Copyright Laws  (Read 16586 times)

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
Gleefully Disregarding Copyright Laws
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:55:29 AM »
So, one thing that occurred to me while I was writing my other post about how I would make the game solo-capable/server-less was that if such a thing came to pass it would make all the TOS rules obsolete.  Since my characters would no longer be in danger of Generic-izing, there would be a few I would definitely be creating...

My Little Super Team

Twilight Sparkle - Magic Corrupter - Kinetics/Energy Blast
Fluttershy - Natural Mastermind - Beast Master/Nature Affinity
Rainbow Dash - Natural Scrapper - Martial Arts/Super Reflexes
Rarity - Magic Controller - Illusion Control/Radiation Emission
Pinky Pie - Natural Brute - Titan Weapons/Willpower  (might want to fudge the system a bit to give her a giant clown hammer or a Gummy-on-a-Stick)
Applejack - Natural Tank - Willpower/Super Strength

I would probably make more tribute teams/individuals but these are the first that occur.  Later I'd probably make ones for the crew of Star Trek Next Generation... Stargate: Atlantis... as well as some of my other secret loves.

What would YOU make for tribute copyright violating characters if you had the game without the risk of TOS?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Gleefully Disregarding Copyright Laws
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:49 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFIREFLY!!!!!!!!

pancake it, I just don't know how they'd work out other than Jayne being Assault Rifle with the BFG and Zoe/Mal being DP or maybe Beamers.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »
My FF/Rad Defender Viridian Beacon could discard the thin veneer of not-really-a-Green-Lantern-honest.  He already had Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, and Sinestro costumes.  I got my costume nixed once, but I made a slight alteration from green to more properly viridian and never had an issue again.

And I already had Damnd from Final Fight as a Thugs Mastermind, with appropriately named Thugs that he would appropriately whistle in.  Never got called on that one.

And Inferior Blaster could just be straight up called Vegeta.  I had a couple of more recognizable Vegeta costumes for him, but I usually ran around in a pink button up short sleeve shirt and yellow-green pants which isn't as recognizable but is still a Vegeta costume.

I could finally have that Male Widow Mysterio...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 06:08:05 AM »
Definitely Mortal Kombat. Oh wait I mispronounced that... I meant MOOOORTAAAAAL KOOOOMBAAAAAT!!!

I always loved the movies, even though I'm fully aware they're terrible. I don't really like playing the games though... I intensely dislike competition and twitch-based controls. So it kind of boggles the mind that I like fighting tournament franchises so much. :o

I did have some sweet outfits made up for a few of my chars though. Sonya Blade for my Street Justice, Kitana for my Dual Blades, Nightwolf and Frost for a cc. I'd happily put together more, plus a few from Street Fighter. Oh yeah that'd be awesome.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »
That reminds me: I had a Rayden Electric Tank, though it didn't get that much progress before I had to delete it to make room.  I think it was specifically inspired by a new storm cloud aura option...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:35:17 AM »
I had a Rainbow Brite character (Empathy/Energy) after the original one got generic'd. I then kept the name, while redesigning the outfit and the back-story. But everyone knew who it was supposed to be. Her classic 80's outfit still sat in the costume closet, and I used it whenever I was around trustworthy people. And I used it a LOT in the final months, figuring nothing would happen. It didn't.

I also had a Dr. Jenning villain (Gravity Control/Electric Blast). An ordinary astrophysicist who became possessed by a dark alien entity after a mishap with a prototype telescope. I don't think one person ever got the reference.

And of course, Tim the Enchanter, who never, ever got in any trouble. But I think everyone, even the suits, knows Monty Python wouldn't have given a damn.

All my other homage characters were from public domain.

samfivedot

• Underling
  • ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWAH
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:17:30 AM »
I made Destroyman from No More Heroes some time ago, since he fits the subject matter so well. Of course, he's not completely accurate, since he can't do a Destroy Buster...

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
I already had a Hit Girl ripoff from KickAss called Tweenage Rampage (DP/elec blaster).

Her normal costume was the one you see at the end of the film when she goes to school (white jumper/green skirt), but in adventures she occasionally changed into the one more often seen in the film with the purple hair and I could just hear the banana splits theme playing in the background.

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:19 AM »
I had TWO incarnations of Hit  Girl.  Bad Reputation (post Big Daddy incarnation) DP/ Dev her Biography: "They say I have a "Bad Reputation" but the bullies in my school don't pick on any of the kids any more. What can I say I am my father's daughter *shrug*"
 and Bali Song  (partnered with my Beloved Husband's toon  "Big Poppa") DB/WP her biography:" Working with her father she helped rid the City of influences from  The Family. Hers is not a normal childhood you would say but she has a blast helping her father!"

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
I loved how the Costume Creator was robust enough that you could actually make such characters.  I wish other games had similar flexibility. 

I've tried to flip this idea on its head and create a Wyvern agent in DCUO and could not get the look right.  Though I think a Longbow agent would be possible.

Still, it'd be fun to create the Freedom Phalanx in DCUO or CO, if it hasn't been done already.

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
I loved how the Costume Creator was robust enough that you could actually make such characters.

Anyone gonna fire up Icon and show us what you'd have made?

Pretty please?

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
Martial Arts/Super Reflexes
This combination was made illegal in forty-nine countries after the termination of the City of Heroes game servers. The act also prohibits Ninja Blade/Ninjitsu, Super Strength/Invulnerability, and Demon Summoning/Dark Miasma.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ad_Astra

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »
I would have an entire set of Barbies.

I would make the occasional Barbie - in fact I kept AR Barbie until the bitter end:

I also had Broadsword Barbie and Sonic Barbie for a short period.

I also had a cosplay version of Ironman named Ironette.
She would be the anchor of a whole superteam of cosplay superheroines.

I never did my version of DC's Legion of Superheroes in CoH, but I always wanted to do them as well.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
Rimmer, Lister and Kryten :D

I never did decide exactly what superpowers I'd have given them, but the Red Dwarf crew certainly did deserve a presence in Paragon City! :)

Here's how I envisaged them -

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:37 AM »
I've been gleefully plundering other folks' copyrights since the game began. The trick is I plunder Public Domain, or characters so obscure nobody under a certain age would ever know -- characters like the sword-swinging Colette Valiant, the hawk-princess Dale Vultan, or the vengeful Tisiphone d'Erinyes.

:: Sigh! :: Wish "Martial Assault" had come out. I had such plans Lady Margaret Blakeney III.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:28 AM »
i had a grand total of 3 characters that were distinct knockoffs from other games

i had a AR/devices corr who obviously looked like boba fett

i had a TW/energy aura brute who i modeled after astaroth from the soul caliber series

and i had a staff/invuln brute who was modeled after Lu Bu from the dynasty warriors series (i didnt get this idea until we got the imperial dynasty set)

sadly i didnt get any pics, but im sure most poeple would easily recognize them

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
LOL I had issues with two toons I tried to recreate....thing is...they were characters I created for my fan-fiction...okay...so they were twin daughters of Kara Zor-El and Querl Dox......still......
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Ice Trix

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
My knock offs were, let's see. I had Friday Bawdin (Traps/Beam Def), and Oscar Gordon (Sword/SR Scrap) who was just started "Time Corps" what was going to be my first public SG abouta month before we got the notice.
I had Frankie Stein & Claudia Wolf (Monster High) duo with my daughter.
Time Spirit (Time/Fire Def) who was in a Doctor Who SG as a kinda Tardis personification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor's_Wife).

I had  more homage characters than copyborrowed. Chromed Ninja (Bots/TA) and Wage Mage (Fire/Plant Dom) for my Shadowrun character, Captain Electron (elec/shield) for Superman/Captain America style etc etc.

Good times...Good times.

Nightmarer

• Boss
  • We all float down here
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:04 AM »
Meh, I so badly wanted to create The Phantom (When the Phantom strikes, lightning stands still) but unfortunately couldn't do so because the Pointed Mask option should have to be moved from the "Face" section to the "Detail 1" section on the character creator...

Ah well, with the new animal costumes, I'd try rolling a Hong Kong Phooey instead