Author Topic: DC Universe Online is Fun ...  (Read 17532 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
DC Universe Online is Fun ...
« on: January 03, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »

You know, it's a pretty world. (Feels much like Praetoria to me.)

And I've met some helpful people there.

If the dang game just had a bigger ability tray, wasn't dependent on combos, and could use a mouse I'd be much happier with it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm having fun there, but those things are kind of annoying.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
Re: DC Universe Online is Fun ...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:10:33 AM »
DCUO really nails the scale and look of Metropolis and Gotham City and the music really compliments the respective cities.

One of the Gotham BGMs:
http://youtu.be/hqbx2A5xpqA

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
If my characters felt sturdier and I could have a non-elemental tank and they would fix the non-flight movement issues I'd enjoy the game a bit more.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:00:10 AM »
I enjoy the game in short bursts. I really like the stories leveling up and the atmosphere of the game is well done I think. The costume system is maybe my favorite in any game so far. I've also met a lot of nice people playing it.

I don't play it as a main game, though. The interface bugs me too much and once you get a character to 30 there isn't much to do unless you want to work on your CR to work on your CR some more so you can work on your CR it seems.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
I found this game worse than CO in terms of gameplay/mechanics and usability. The user interface...well, isn't user friendly.

Also, I prefer an auto-attack over a "spam incessantly" or "hold down forever {to circumvent the 'spam incessantly' feeling of the previous}" attack. Or none of the above. City did it well in that there were enough attacks/doodads to do during a fight that you didn't NEED a filler/builder.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:20 AM »
It took me a bit to get used to weapon style combos, especially with my right hand not working properly. Once I did the down time between activating actual powers flew by and became more fun. Martial Arts in particular amuses me greatly.  ;D

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
I don't like the limited costume selection starting out, nor the palette limitation, nor the lack of sliders.  About the only good thing I can say about the 'costume system' is that it allows you to switch up individual pieces on the fly - however, this feature's usefulness is itself hampered by not even having the pieces available during creation until you manage to find them in-game.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
I like the way costume pieces are acquired. It's easy and gives me something to work for besides stats, but I can understand how someone might not appreciate it the same way. There is no limit in the palette, though. Now that you can use the hexadecimal system it's even easier to get exactly the color you want. Character models themselves are a whole other issue.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:16:13 AM »
My hard light controller is now 27. Given that I only created her about two weeks ago and I'd say that I haven't generally played more than about two hours a night on her tops ... that's pretty impressive.

Mysterious J

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »
I tried DCUO with a mouse (in beta) and hated it.  Enough of my CoX SG buddies migrated to it that I gave it another chance, but this time I bought a cheap PS3-style PC controller, and I've learned to like it (so far, highest character is still only something like 13).  It's very, very different from CoX in philosophy: you really do have to learn the rocks-paper-scissors combat if you don't want to be frustrated, and it doesn't really feel like you're making any in-combat decisions until either you can deliberately pull of one or two of the combos, or you've unlocked enough powers in your tree that you have some situational options.  The movement powers are different and fun... superspeeding up a wall is a blast.  I'm less sold on the gear aspect, but at least you can divorce that from appearance if you like.  I really miss the costume options and sliders, but the look of the world is quite good.  We'll see what happens if and when I hit 30 and it becomes more grindy.  My friends tell me to think of CR as more like your level, and the levels up to 30 are just unlocking your powers, but... one of the things I didn't like about CoX was the Incarnate grind.  (Played since launch, never once got a character to +1 Incarnate... barely had any characters that even had an Alpha slot.)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 05:13:12 AM »
There is no limit in the palette, though.

As near as I could tell, you're limited to three colours shared across your whole costume.  You create a three colour palette and then have to choose from that palette for each costume piece.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:07 AM »
You can change each color, but it is across the whole body. I'll be damned if I can get the hang of it, and I've never gotten the color I wanted. It's a minor annoyance in a long list of annoyances with the game.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »
You can change each color, but it is across the whole body.

And you can go into each costume piece and switch the colours up.  But you're limited to choosing between those three colours that you set in the palette.  And it *is* non-intuitive.

Also, you couldn't recreate, say, the original Green Lantern's costume under those limitations.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 03:27:23 PM »
This system may actually have been informed by the lawsuit against CoH. It is impossible to make a copy of the costume of a major character, though i didn't go far outside the JL characters, and the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold costumes I was working from were from the late 80s Justice League.

I was, however, able to make a passable copy of the NightHawk costume in CO.  :P
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
Is it just me or is the UI in this game the worst? I haven't made it far past the tutorial but character creation and chat is the worst.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
This system may actually have been informed by the lawsuit against CoH. It is impossible to make a copy of the costume of a major character, though i didn't go far outside the JL characters, and the Blue Beetle and Booster Gold costumes I was working from were from the late 80s Justice League.

I was, however, able to make a passable copy of the NightHawk costume in CO.  :P

.... that sounds odd.  Superman's costume is about as basic as you can get - full-body tights, plain belt, cape, no gloves, no mask, no headwear, no frills - with only the colors and his chest emblem being iconic.  If you can't make something as simple as that, then that sounds like a baaaaaaad superhero costume creator.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 01:00:14 AM »
I may have skipped Supes. Never was a fan. I do, however, have Fabulousman in CO: same backstory, except his pod crash landed off Key West. He's not gay, just is very secure about himself.

TheDemonHunter

• Underling
  • Base Builder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 05:49:24 PM »

There are tons of Marvel clone toons in DCUO, right down to the name. Can't go anywhere without seeing tons of Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine, Spiderman, Captain America, etc. The initial costume pieces available in the character creator may not always be a match, but early on you can acquire the styles to duplicate them. There are people on Sony's own forums who posted threads featuring their best Iron Man suits, etc.
"In my dreams, devil, I soar through a far finer world than this. I dine and dance among graceful goddesses on the other side of the universe, and share home and hearth with heroes. In reality, here -- now -- I'm just another man, in a role I was never meant to play...."

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:30 AM »
I found DCUO to be like Dynasty Warriors meets superpowers.

It was okay in the beta, until I heard (then experienced) that level cap is attained very quickly. Haven't played it since.
- Omega Mk. V

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:52 AM »
I found DCUO to be like Dynasty Warriors meets superpowers.

As a long time Warriors fan, I would like it more if that were the case.

And in any case, Dynasty Warriors has better character creation.  ;D