Author Topic: DC Universe Online is Fun ...  (Read 17557 times)

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
Re: DC Universe Online is Fun ...
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 07:06:12 PM »
Tried this back in the day and ended up back at CoH. Thought I might give it a shot again, I know the name Lightslinger is taken, which sucks, so I figure I'll just start over with a whole new concept. For a complete DCUO noob, what's a good power, build, whatever you call it to start with?

I find the hero side to be lacking, but then I am a f2p account and therefore don't get the nice things.  I took a Lex mentor vil and am having fun (other than the hunt quests I constantly complain about, lol).  Gagets seem to be a bit easier for me to work with while using hand blasters.  Gameplay is not up to snuff with the fun of CoH, but you can waste some hours on there.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Is there a way to map the keyboard to turn left and right rather than having to use the mouse to turn and the keyboard to move forward / back?  I HATE that!

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »
Is there a way to map the keyboard to turn left and right rather than having to use the mouse to turn and the keyboard to move forward / back?  I HATE that!

I honestly can't play DC Online with a keyboard/mouse alone. I use an Xbox Controller and it works much better for me.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:11 PM »

I honestly can't play DC Online with a keyboard/mouse alone. I use an Xbox Controller and it works much better for me.

I guess this is me too, just started playing today and there's no way I'll ever get used to using a keyboard and mouse with this game, its terrible. I'll look into finding an xbox controller I guess.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »
I guess this is me too, just started playing today and there's no way I'll ever get used to using a keyboard and mouse with this game, its terrible. I'll look into finding an xbox controller I guess.

Be sure to get one with a USB cord. Honestly, you can grab one of the glow in the dark ones for like $29.00. Totally worth it. :D

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
Sorta... Go to the settings menu and click on the Key binds tab.  Scroll down for the attack actions and set a key for each.  Mine is:
Q W E -- Strafe left, Forward, Strafe right
A S D -- Melee attack, Backward, Range attack

I moved the attacks to the keyboard to minimize moving my mouse, so my view doesn't change when i click.

For the rest of my notes, see: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6861.0.html

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 05:43:30 AM »

I find a trackball mouse to help in the navigation, but I agree that the xbox type controller would make this easier.  I hated the xbox controller in Skyrim for a bit, but once I got used to the dual joysticks I found it handy to be able to glide around corners.

The main complication I had with the trackball mouse was with large hands, I had trouble hitting the attack buttons while moving.  Practice, practice, practice...
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:05 PM »
>.> just the other day I created a similacrum of Statesman for the heck of it - knight helmet, striped chest/legs layer with a white star emblem, random belt and embellished cape. Add in the electricity power, tank abilities, flight travel, and later on you get to throw lightning bolts down from the sky at people...  :o

The likeness of the resulting toon to the original was uncanny. It gave me the chills! After a few minutes of gameplay I definitely got that "feeling the magic" sensation of being back in CoH again...even tho it was just Brainiac's ship :P  ... and Statesman/Superman side by side? Iconic.

--

the only thing I didn't like was the inability to retain your original costume style when you received armor drops. That sucked.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 02:48:34 PM by LadyShin »
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »
My hard light controller is now 27. Given that I only created her about two weeks ago and I'd say that I haven't generally played more than about two hours a night on her tops ... that's pretty impressive.

Level 12 staff-swinging gadgeteer - and I started 2 days ago.  ;D
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »
the only thing I didn't like was the inability to retain your original costume style when you received armor drops. That sucked.
There's a setting somewhere to fix that. It's described upthread.

Or now that I think about it, I might be thinking Champions Online? I can't find it in this thread after a cursory look.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
If you go into the "style" screen you can choose between costume pieces you've collected and can lock the look in place.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
If you go into the "style" screen you can choose between costume pieces you've collected and can lock the look in place.

:o

what style screen?

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 12:40:23 AM »
:o

what style screen?

Hit "J" on your keyboard and it brings up options for inventory, style, journal, etc. You can lock your style so new gear doesn't change your look.

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
Hit "J" on your keyboard and it brings up options for inventory, style, journal, etc. You can lock your style so new gear doesn't change your look.

hitting J only brings up journal..I for inventory..haven't found the shortcut for style.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:49:20 PM by LadyShin »

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 09:16:32 PM »
In any of those screens, there'll be a series of icons along the bottom of the window to get to all the others.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
What General said.

Once you bring up the Inventory or Journal, you can access other screens by the Icons at the bottom using the mouse.

Selecting the style screen gives you the option of keeping a visual look or changing to a new look.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »
Tried this again with a PS3 controller and while it is better than the keyboard set up, the controls felt very unresponsive and laggy.

I don't really want to buy a 360 controller for something I don't even know that I'm going to like anyway, but I am seriously wondering if anyone else has problems with the controls like I do? Its freaking unplayable so far, yikes!

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Tried this again with a PS3 controller and while it is better than the keyboard set up, the controls felt very unresponsive and laggy.

I don't really want to buy a 360 controller for something I don't even know that I'm going to like anyway, but I am seriously wondering if anyone else has problems with the controls like I do? Its freaking unplayable so far, yikes!
I'm in the same boat as you. The controls just don't work for me.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33:48 AM »
Been trying to get into it. Enjoying it thus far, definently no CoX, but a good replacement in the mean time.

I go by a Villain named Voltaic Void (Only thing that wasn't taking, sounded ok, and sort of matched my characters theme.) (On that note, I should state that getting a name reminded me MUCH of what it was like to get a name in City of Heroes.) in the PC PVP world. Feel free to add me. If there is a league forming that is mostly CoX people, feel free to drop me a shout!