Author Topic: First Surprises in COH  (Read 36392 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: First Surprises in COH
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »
Show of hands for how many people here got the 'Top Dog' badge among their first 3 exploration badges?  8)

I know it was in my top five, but I think I actually stumbled on the three ground-level ones in and around City Hall, first.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

LadyShin

• Elite Boss
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
I know it was in my top five, but I think I actually stumbled on the three ground-level ones in and around City Hall, first.

I never set foot in city hall till my mid-20's  :o Every character I made, was the exploration one on the way to miss liberty, then the one on the dome, finally the top of the atlas globe. It's interesting to note that I didn't have the flight ability then, only jump. lol  ;D
"Frank! It's the love boat to Cuba! Shuffle board and pineapples filled with rum. Know what they do? They put little paper umbrellas sticking out the top so that when it rains, it don't thin out the liquor."

tomborocks1

• Underling
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2013, 01:06:29 PM »
My first encounter with Clockwork in Galaxy City completely threw me off. I'm not even sure which toon I was on, but all of a sudden, I was being attacked by electricity and had no idea what was doing it or where it was coming from. Needless to say, I was defeated and went to the hospital.

Pissed off, I went back to the spot where I was defeated and discovered those tiny little robots were the culprits. Never had a problem with them since ... unless I sicked a level 20 scrapper on a Babbage all by his/her lonesome. At times, I was sick that way.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »
unless I sicked a level 20 scrapper on a Babbage all by his/her lonesome. At times, I was sick that way.

If Scrapperlock is wrong, I don't want to be right. 8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
If Scrapperlock is wrong, I don't want to be right. 8)

Seen that scrapperlock term a bit lately but have no idea what it means.

Is that, judging by context of the uses I seen and behavior of most scrappers I seen, the behavior of engaging an enmy and pounding away relentlessly in disregard to health, healing, other people until either the enemy is dead or the scrapper falls?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »
Seen that scrapperlock term a bit lately but have no idea what it means.

Is that, judging by context of the uses I seen and behavior of most scrappers I seen, the behavior of engaging an enmy and pounding away relentlessly in disregard to health, healing, other people until either the enemy is dead or the scrapper falls?

That's a big part of it, yes. The other part is, when the current enemy falls you must rush on to the next spawn as if you were a Brute, still remaining all but blind to everything around you. The difference is, while Brutes are focused on keeping their Fury bar as full as possible, Scrappers have no mechanics-based reason to act this way. They do it simply because they are having so much fun smashing stuff that it becomes difficult to think of boring things like safety and tactics. Usually the "Don't stop, don't think" part is an unintentional side effect of the "Yay! Smash stuff!" part, but I've seen people do it deliberately too.

Cause it's crazy fun 8)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 04:23:22 PM »
That's a big part of it, yes. The other part is, when the current enemy falls you must rush on to the next spawn as if you were a Brute, still remaining all but blind to everything around you. The difference is, while Brutes are focused on keeping their Fury bar as full as possible, Scrappers have no mechanics-based reason to act this way. They do it simply because they are having so much fun smashing stuff that it becomes difficult to think of boring things like safety and tactics. Usually the "Don't stop, don't think" part is an unintentional side effect of the "Yay! Smash stuff!" part, but I've seen people do it deliberately too.

Cause it's crazy fun 8)

I see.

Sounds like my solo playstyle regardless if I'm on th countless tanks, numerous brutes, the two scraps, the four dominators, the 5 MMs, or  the Peacebringer and carried over to CO playstle which seems to encourage that type of behavior solo. I like to be up close and personal to look them deep into their eyes and watch the terror in them rise to the surface as their  life force is taken from them.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »
One of my favorite surprises in CoH was the time that all the lakes were covered in ice for the winter event. i went to Perez Park and started laughing uncontrollably when i saw all the Hydra sliding everywhere. i spent hours on my FF/Rad playing Hydra Hockey with Force Bolt.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »
I see.

Sounds like my solo playstyle regardless if I'm on th countless tanks, numerous brutes, the two scraps, the four dominators, the 5 MMs, or  the Peacebringer and carried over to CO playstle which seems to encourage that type of behavior solo. I like to be up close and personal to look them deep into their eyes and watch the terror in them rise to the surface as their  life force is taken from them.

This! :)

I don't think I had very many scrappers, but I did tend to favor this playstyle when solo, too. Sometimes even when on a team...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #149 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »

Hehe, yep me too :D

I had about one third scrappers, one third blasters, and one third other ATs. My control and buff types hover blasted, but the rest were all up close and personal. Especially the blappers. My Assault Rifle had Devices, but all the rest took Energy Manipulation; it was the only secondary I liked. That set is all about getting up in your grill. (Oh wait, except for Fire/Fire. There are just certain combos I had to have, regardless of how they played. Fire/Fire was one of those.)

Apart from the AR/Dev, I think the only time my blasters weren't in melee range was for the opening round of shots. Snipe, tier 1 & 2 blasts, close in a bit and snap off the heavier "medium range" blast, then bounce up in their face and go "Bonesnap - Energy Punch" on 'em. I'm a street sweeper by choice, so it worked like a charm for my needs. I could pick and choose my enemy groups and there were no EBs to throw off the rhythm. I loved every minute of it. ;D

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »

Cause it's crazy fun 8)

Best description of scrapperlock, ever. <3
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:46 PM »
One player in my playgroup was/is notorious for this.  I'm not sure if "brb, soloing" was coined by or to describe him.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2013, 12:39:33 AM »
Best description of scrapperlock, ever. <3

Scrapperlock was my favorite toggle of them all :D

"brb, soloing"

That quote is awesome. Seriously. XD

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:37 AM »
Regarding scrapperlock, I believe the official definition is 'the point at which you stop aggroing mobs and instead they begin aggroing you.'

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #154 on: March 11, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »
Apart from the AR/Dev, I think the only time my blasters weren't in melee range was for the opening round of shots.

That reminds me of one of the wierdest moments I had with my AR/EM Blaster. It was over on the west side of Independence Port, on the docks north of the Tech store, and I was in combat with a couple of Tsoo Red Ink Men. The last survivor of the Ink Men, badly injured, drained my speed and started to run off as the grenade at him reached its peak and started down... and I watched the grenade turn in midair and start climbing again as it chased the now-superspeeding Ink Man. Almost ten seconds later, I finally saw a defeat message come up in my chat window; it was the most surreal thing I'd seen to be on the other side of the 'you can run, but you can't hide' mechanic of being unable to outrun an attack once it was fired, no matter how slow it moved.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
The last survivor of the Ink Men, badly injured, drained my speed and started to run off as the grenade at him reached its peak and started down... and I watched the grenade turn in midair and start climbing again as it chased the now-superspeeding Ink Man.

*gasp* Homing grenades :o

DO WANT!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:46 PM »
The first thing that made me go 'huh?' was my first time killing Freakshow, and then watching some get up as I was basking in my awesomeness.

Achimrst

• Underling
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »
I was reading this thread for nostalgia and then I remembered!!! Team Bruteruptor! I was on a brute one time and all we had on the teams were brutes and corruptors it was awesome we thrashed everything, we called it team bruteruptor for a while then we got us a token Dom it was some of the most fun I ever had. If anyone from bruteruptor is here HI!!!!

Bubba Crush

• Underling
« Reply #158 on: March 22, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Fondest surprise happened in the early days of the Rikti Invasions. A large population of the Guardian server were fiercely defending the hill on Talos Island. Rikti were porting in...heroes standing united :)...flashes of light...total chaos...more rikti porting in...zaps...pow..whammo...rikti's falling ;D. Then...BAZINGA :o!!...the server crashed. >:( Hurry up...log back on...Oh no!...try again...Oh no!...try again...I'M ON!!  :o The horror! The invasion was over...and the bodies of around 100 dead heroes littered the hill :'(. We lost :gonk:!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:14:41 AM by Bubba Crush »

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2013, 01:07:14 PM »
My other big surprise was when they first opened PI.

I happily navigated my level 15 defender thru Talos, flying over all the mobs, to get to the ferry. Stepped off, started flying a bit to see the zone and BAM, killed by a sniper! I was like 'WTF!' because I had NO IDEA what just happened lol.