Author Topic: Blue Christmas  (Read 9312 times)

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
Blue Christmas
« on: December 24, 2012, 12:15:23 AM »
Tonight I have the blues, bad.  I want to be joyful, to lift up my heart and sing but my CoH friends have been silenced and we cannot share our triumphs and sorrows anymore in game.  Our community was so much more than the shared love of a game.  We were there for one another, and when times were bad all we had to do was slip on our virtual spandex and we could 'make the world a better place' or tear things up if we felt villainous.  What an amazing stress reliever and support system this game provided us.

Maybe it's financial stress (fighting foreclosure is so much fun,) having a terminally ill mother and the pressures of teaching (which I love with all my heart) combined with being sick this month that's brought me so low, but tonight I miss my buds and my characters in game.  Normally I'd never be one to whine.  This will pass.  It just sure would be good to go back in game about now and forget about my troubles for a bit.  Oh well.  At least the world didn't end yesterday, lol!

Thank y'all for everything you've done and continue to do for our game and community.  Keep up the good fight.  Oh, and from the bottom of my heart, "Merry Christmas." 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Blue Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
I feel ya. It's just not Christmas without glowy presents on the sidewalks and tops of buildings. I need a good Snow Beast fight or a creepy midget Baby New Year mission!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 01:08:02 AM »
This week before Christmas is especially hard for me too.  I can't say I have much to do now, and this was the one thing I could do when I didn't have much to do.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 01:11:33 AM »
We all feel the pain.

*gives antarcticaa a big spidery hug*

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »
*hugs*
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »
*hugs*

Merry Christmas to you too!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 02:13:46 AM »
OP, many feel your pain. I really feel that as time passes, its even MORE depressing as the reality sets in that our beloved home-away-from-home has really been burned to the ground. Its not a hiatus, not a vacation.... its GONE. This is incredibly distressing.

here's hoping things improve for you soon, you have a lot of stressful issues facing you. Be well.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 02:37:56 AM »
Yes.  Very yes.  Missing the game and all that entails here too, that is.
Sincerest hope things turn around for you.  *Manly hug*

Merry Christmas to all!

/Tomorrow night?  Ralphie!
//It's a major award!!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:16:01 AM »
The holidays can be particularly tough, especially when we see all the so-called happy families with their perfect lives. (for me, anyway)

When I get those blues, I just think about Joseph and Mary, having to travel 85 miles for a census, with Mary being very pregnant. I can't imagine how un-fun that journey must have been.

"Joseph, pull over, I have to go! Again!"
"Oy vey, Mary. That child in you will be sacrificed by the time we get there at this rate!"

(and then, of course, the rest of the Christmas story, I hash over in my mind with the characters using that same yiddish sounding speech. )
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
"Joseph, pull over, I have to go! Again!"
"Oy vey, Mary. That child in you will be sacrificed by the time we get there at this rate!"

<snicker> Mel Brooks does The Greatest Story Ever Told! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 05:53:12 AM »
*sigh* The Winter Event has some serious nostalgia, and just plain fun.  I'd log in to collect presents even when I didn't want to play the game at all.  I am feeling extra homesick as well.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »

When I get those blues, I just think about Joseph and Mary, having to travel 85 miles for a census, with Mary being very pregnant. I can't imagine how un-fun that journey must have been.

Leave it to Ukase to properly shift prospective. ;)
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Antarcticaa, I am sorry to hear about all these bad things happening to you on top of this and I truly wish I could help directly somehow. All the very best for you and your family, hopefully you will manage to get through this al right! My very best wishes to you!

But we have not really been silenced, we are here and in the CoH Refugee channels in other MMOs staying in touch! They have taken our city, but we are still here and the fight is far from over.

If there is any time for miracles, it is now, so I am trying to remain hopeful that our home will be returned to us in some way. I think as well that there are reasons to be as NCSOFT is learning the hard way right now that they messed with the wrong community - we are not quietly going away as they clearly had hoped and the good people of Task Force Hail Mary are reaching out to people with the power to save our City.

You guys are the best community I have ever seen and maybe the only one truly deserving this term!
I wish each and every one of you a very Happy Christmas and all the best in the new year!

Iron-Emerald

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 08:42:52 AM »
I wouldn't say it's been getting me down since I've had a very busy holiday season so far, but I certainly do miss City at this time of year. The friend's who introduced me to the game are in a very different timezone from me, so big holidays like this were always a great chance to play more than we normally got to.

Merry Christmas to everyone, hope to see you all in Paragon before the next one rolls around! :)

Colette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »
I'd like to remind everyone that this is also Hannukah. Though kinda Catholic myself (it's complicated,) I think we can all now more fully appreciate the Jewish tradition of saying, "next year, we shall celebrate together in Zion."

Have a merry Christmas. See you all in Atlas Park next year.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 07:10:42 PM »
Have a merry Christmas. See you all in Atlas Park next year.

Mazel tov! To Atlas Park next year!

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »
Mazel tov! To Atlas Park next year!

I'll drink to that: L'Chaim
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 11:46:10 PM »
I'd usually be logged in and playing today and tomorrow since the holidays often meant many of us had more time to play after activities with family and friends.  Christmas isn't going to be the same this year, so I'm right with you in missing City of Heroes.  Best wishes to you for all the other things you have going on in your life.  *hugs*
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 03:46:50 AM »
Now this is the community I know!  Picking up one another when times are tough and offering hugs and moral support.  Thanks y'all.  It made a difference.  Tonight I played my hammered dulcimer with my band for Christmas Eve service and it struck me once again how this is a time for giving, not monetarily, but simply offering the gift of ourselves, out time and talent.  I took care of my mother after the service and just got in, but instead of feeling tired, blue and quite overwhelmed I feel at peace and hopeful.  We may be separated here by dark servers and silent TeamSpeak but we are still here and working towards a common goal of restoring CoX.  It might never happen, but it won't be because this community silently took what was dealt to us.  We remain heroes and we will find a home in a game somewhere, sometime.  I count myself blessed to have been part of this wonderful online community.  Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Winter Solstice, Happy Kwanzaa and Peace, y'all. 

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 06:25:13 AM »
Merry Christmas....May NCsoft find coal in their stockings  :o