Author Topic: Blue Christmas  (Read 9202 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Blue Christmas
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:21 PM »
Hopefully of the green glowing kind.

Seriously? Did you not watch Smallville? ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2012, 11:19:52 PM »
Seriously? Did you not watch Smallville? ;)

Where do you think he got his powers?   ???
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 02:50:36 AM »
I wish someone working at a well known magazine would collect a few stories like this and compiled it into an essay about the hidden value these games hold and the true emotional impact a closure of a long running online title has on its players.

Terwyn's "Voices" blog is built around that concept. 

Sadly, I am nowhere near a big enough gun to get notice over at some place like New Yorker or Harpers or even Playboy.  Any submission I made or recommended would go in the slush pile, to eventually be sent the dreaded "This does not suit our purposes at this time" rejection notice.

The best thing we could do would be to start voting "Voices" up at sites like Reddit.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 05:08:15 AM »
I think Angelus and I were feeling more or less the same thing. At least when it comes to the final scene in that video. Can't imagine how long it took to make. Blue Christmas indeed... It's not quite Christmas without the CoH holiday stuff.  :'(

Christmas Wish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3S-3LObdyM

Both of those videos are brilliant!  What a wonderful labor of love you gave us.  They both have such piercing sweetness, overlaid with that bittersweet sense of loss we share from such a wonderful community.  I felt nostalgia, warmth, cheer and grief, all in such short order watching these.  It was like watching old home movies of a place you can never go back to again.  Thanks for preserving that moment and feeling.  These works touched my heart.  Gentle blessings from Carolina Moon of Freedom, and all those other Moon toons I had.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:42 AM »

Sadly, I am nowhere near a big enough gun to get notice over at some place like New Yorker or Harpers or even Playboy.  Any submission I made or recommended would go in the slush pile, to eventually be sent the dreaded "This does not suit our purposes at this time" rejection notice.

Oh, we disagree, as do thousands of your readers.  You are such a marvelous word smith.  You conjure up magic with what you write.  If anyone on earth could capture what it felt like to be part of such a unique community it would be you.  I've been at a loss trying to explain to my husband how bad this pain is and how real the grief I feel from the loss of what most people consider just a game.  Somewhere there is a major publication with room for a human interest article that shows how deeply affecting a game can be and all the good that came with CoH.  It could be written from a positive point of view, showing how this game transcended the mechanics of an online game and literally became a thriving community.  We all know so many stories of how real life relationships were formed, how the community supported one another and how physically challenged individuals were released from physical restraints in-game.   There's such a wealth of material.  Shoot, as a teacher I swear sometimes this was the only thing that kept me going when I'd get so stressed out.

Anyone who could combine such disparate elements as elves and race cars in a work of fiction could craft our poignant story in a work of non-fiction. 

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:03 AM »
Made me happy on Christmas when I received the CoH Going Rogue Soundtrack. Just sharin'.  :D
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 07:24:56 AM »
Terwyn's "Voices" blog is built around that concept. 

The best thing we could do would be to start voting "Voices" up at sites like Reddit.

Well, considering someone posted part IV on such a site, and I ended up dealing with 2000+ visits over the span of four hours, that would help greatly. I'll have the next part live tomorrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Terwyn, I think your site needs more exposure, because while I know of it, I can't easily find it. Not even in your signature. Discoverability is an important part of the equation. ;)

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 05:13:13 AM »
Wait, I thought this was about Superman... what happened?!

/no, no, I keed, carry on, y'all.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
Well, considering someone posted part IV on such a site, and I ended up dealing with 2000+ visits over the span of four hours, that would help greatly. I'll have the next part live tomorrow.

I just subscribed to your blog.  Love it!  So moving and well expressed.  How to we get the attention now of a major publisher who needs your your writing as a human interest story.  Wouldn't it also be interesting if somehow the Korean journalist Victoria spoke to as Mercedes got linked up with both of y'all and furthered the story over there?  Hmmmmmmm.

Terwyn

• Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
I just subscribed to your blog.  Love it!  So moving and well expressed.  How to we get the attention now of a major publisher who needs your your writing as a human interest story.  Wouldn't it also be interesting if somehow the Korean journalist Victoria spoke to as Mercedes got linked up with both of y'all and furthered the story over there?  Hmmmmmmm.

If that happens, I do not know what I would end up doing. ;)
- Albert Einstein

pikabko1000

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
I wish to point out on that night 10/30/2012 is far more worst night in my life. also the worst year in my life. I felt like City of Heroes was a home to me. when I get off from work
it game me something to do. that realy ment something special to me. the years of doing privet SG bases for a friend and my self. buidling them.
doing all those speical missions. and be a video game programmer at the A.E.Building I wish I had more time for that. I realy loved the idea to publish my own missions.
No MMORPG done anything like that. on that night. I cryed my eyes out. The emotions on the chat line on the freedom server got to me.
well why crying also extream pissed off at NC Soft.
I hate loosing a fight. I done everyhing in my power to stop NC SOFT. I emailed I called. I file report at the BBU andwhat dose BBU dose F**K wth me. close the case
 so stinking lazy. every time I got to deal with a corperation law breaking Bull SH%T that I had to deal with. there respond is hire a atterney. it was never like this when
Ronald Reagon was the President.  I file my papers then I get my refund simple case closed.. Now its war with the big corperation and the federal goverment.
all democrated. I have to spend billions of dollars to hire atterney to fight my battles for me. I am not Forbs This is why I do not vote. people vote these black market broken down
atterney to run for office and for the presdent.all the federal Goverment and the state goverment well 50 of them tend to protect black market for campain money.
this is why I was uanble to do anything at this point. however I am researching ideas and see what can be done. what NC Soft is is a broken down land lords. we all paid rent to NC Soft. dam it sh%T what VIP account is not cheap.when I got a $650.00 rent on my little room to live in.
I beleave in the constitution.I paid for something. and I want to use it. I have the right to use it. not have NC Soft kill the products I paid for.
if I want to play off line I am researhing that, passing the word out. I just gave the word on to some game designers. I think formly empoyed by paragon Studios
I gave them my phone number. I aksed to talk. I even got a off line mod to make custumes off line. so the rest of it well I am resarching it
will that be a better plan then crying over NC Soft. at least I am doing something. I am not going to rest untill I get the new year right on some action to be done.
I ma not going to sit around wasting my time wishing. I am all over the web. sending messages. sending emails. making phone calls.
get the off line mod idea out. No way I am going to allow NC soft to fu%k with me. I write dispute against NC soft.
I am trying to fight my own battles.