Author Topic: MP4 previews for ALL THE MOVS!  (Read 44172 times)

Leandro

• Elite Boss
MP4 previews for ALL THE MOVS!
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
Torrent ALL THE MOVS!

Well, all the MOVs that are usable with the player skeleton, anyway. I haven't gotten around to dog emotes yet.

I wrote a script that goes through the whole list of MOVs, creates a demo of Fusionette doing that MOV, runs the demo through the COH client while dumping all the frames, then takes those frames and makes an animated GIF out of it, before moving on to the next emote.

The script will finally be done in a little over two hours, after spitting about 8500 animated GIFs, which use about 14GB of disk space. Now the question is, how the hell do I distribute this.

The original plan was to put those in the Wiki, but asking for 14GB of server space to store animations that only a handful of people are going to use seems too greedy. And besides, this works best when you can have the folder in your own computer, because then you can just search for something and have all the emotes that match instantly come up.

So, I'm thinking I should torrent this thing. I'm looking for a few volunteers to seed it, because my connection is very craptastic. If any of you has a seedbox and would like to waste 14GB in Fusionette animated GIFs, please say something! I'd really like to get these things out for others to use.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:34:25 AM by Leandro »

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
Re: GIF previews for ALL THE MOVS!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »
First off, that's awesome.

Secondly, BitTorrenting the file would be a great idea.

Third, while I don't have  dedicated seed-box, I'd be willing to help seed it so long as a few others would pitch in as well.

You're hits, Leandro, they just keep on coming! :D
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:24:07 PM »
Perhaps the size could be reduced by cropping the images and/or reducing the framerate slightly (assuming it's not below 25 FPS already)? Cutting down on color depth would also help with that.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »
Or maybe encoding to mp4. GIF dithering can inflate the filesize by a large amount. If they're not on a website there's less of a reason for GIF to be a convenient format.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »
Perhaps the size could be reduced by cropping the images and/or reducing the framerate slightly (assuming it's not below 25 FPS already)? Cutting down on color depth would also help with that.

They're only 10FPS, because they were intended to be put on the web.

Or maybe encoding to mp4. GIF dithering can inflate the filesize by a large amount. If they're not on a website there's less of a reason for GIF to be a convenient format.

You're absolutely right. I did the whole thing thinking they would be put on the wiki, but if I'm just going to torrent the whole thing, it'd be better to MP4 the crap out of it.

I've been using Imagemagick to take the list of TGA files and make the animated GIFs... what would be the equivalent tool to make MP4 files? I think FFmpeg would do it... I'll have to check.

Of course, this means re-rendering all the images, so another week or so until it's done :P

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
*sweeps Leandro into her arms and kisses him passionately*

You are my god.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

Leandro

• Elite Boss
Re: MP4 previews for ALL THE MOVS!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »
Alright, so I started dumping all the emotes again, this time as 720x720 @30fps MP4s. It's going to take about a week to dump everything (since I only run the script while I'm away from the computer), so pause this thread until then. I'll post back once all the files are ready.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
How big are the individual files coming out now, and how does that compare to the GIFs?

p.s. you are awesome.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
Thanks for the tremendous amount of effort you put into this, Leandro.

You rock!
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
How big are the individual files coming out now, and how does that compare to the GIFs?

The first 250 emotes already rendered, and are using 259MB of space. So a little over a meg each. But the quality is SO MUCH BETTER. The GIFs were tiny and at 10fps. These MP4s look awesome. You can only see the compression when an emote is very FX heavy (like Murder of Crows costume change) but as a reference it's more than enough.

The final DB with all the animations should be 8.6GB once it's done.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:48:34 PM »
That's going to be awesome!

Thanks Leandro!
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
This community astounds me time and time again.

I don't have the words, my emotional state right now is a complete turnaround from where it was on Dec 1st.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:47:06 PM »
Once again, it is clear that Leandro has all the movs.  8)

*thumbs up*

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:04 PM »
Once again, it is clear that Leandro has all the movs.  8)

*thumbs up*

You could say *puts on glasses* Leandro has all the movs.

YEAAAH!

(warning: loud)

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:54:34 AM »
Wow this is an ambitious undertaking and damn fine work as always Leo! I was going to ask about the MOV commands too but I see that you names the GIFs with the command for each. You certainly are a demo god my friend!

I can seed to help with this as well but don't have (or even know what it is...) a seedbox

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:20 AM »
I can seed to help with this as well but don't have (or even know what it is...) a seedbox
In bittorrent lingo, it's a server (either dedicated or shared) used primarily to download and upload data from the bittorrent network.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Anyone who is willing to seed this thing, please send me an email to leandrotlz@gmail.com so I can start giving you access to the files. I already re-dumped over 2000 emotes, so might as well start giving the files to those who can seed them.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »
Anyone who is willing to seed this thing, please send me an email to leandrotlz@gmail.com so I can start giving you access to the files. I already re-dumped over 2000 emotes, so might as well start giving the files to those who can seed them.
Amazing work, Leandro -- I'll see what I can do this evening (probably much later) about setting up a box to help seeding. 

If I am the first to get it, I will likely add an html launch page (it should be relatively easy to script something with g/awk to dump the directory contents and write out an html page).  If someone beats me to it, that likely would be a nice little addition.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 09:32:14 AM »
Torrent of ALL THE MOVS! now available for those who want to download it this way:

http://www.leandro.cox-supergroups.com/movs.torrent

I'm the only seed for now, so prepare for slowness until others join in. It's 8.75GB.

ThorsAssassin

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »
I'll be seeding once I know I have all the files Leandro.

Hopefully that helps it go faster..