Author Topic: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?  (Read 36268 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »
I'm as artificer, because I was a mesmer.

The problem I'm having was the recipes I know quickly no longer earn crafting XP, can cost a whole lot in supplies quantity needed so gathering (time) or purchasing the supplies and right now it costs more to buy the supplies than I can sell the final product for.  However I just broke level 75 (of 400) so I now have unlocked new recipes that will allow me to make new stuff that I'll get crafting XP for.

It reminds me of making say Fear enhancements back in the CoH days.  No way to recoup your investment but you needed to make them for earn the portable crafting bench.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »
Yeah, as a non-Jeweler, non-Cooking thing you should be getting the bulk of your crafting experience solely from the Discovery panel.

You get this by using the insignias.   It's been a little while since I leveled my Artificer, but I think the best recipes to make cheaply were the Focus & Scepter, but I could be mistaken.  So every time I got new insignias... or are they called something else?  I think they are.  Heck, I'll log in and see.  No backspacing though, that's for quitters.

Inscriptions!  That's it.  And I made Tridents too, I had a buttload of metal to use.   But yes, generally I'd make 3 of each inscription and then discover the recipes for the Trident, Focus, and Scepter for each.  That was generally enough, though I would sometimes resort to making large batches of potions when the opportunity presented itself to be cost-feasible.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2012, 02:42:06 AM »
Yea scepters are good, at least you can make more with the same about of planks than staffs and they sell for not much less.

Yes I'm using the discover function but I still haven't found a lot that I can make more than one of without seriously depleting my stocks which have taken me a week or so to gather.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 09:02:54 PM »
I gotta say, my advice is to avoid crafting at all costs.

It's expensive, it's not that useful, and you can sell the mats for mad money to other people who haven't figured out crafting is a sink.

I stopped crafting when I realized I could literally buy the exact thing I wanted to craft for pennies on the TP, rather than dumping a ton of money/time getting Fine Materials to make it myself, because crafters dump them on the TP just to get SOMETHING as they level.

The only crafting I touch is cooking, because with about a gold you can bump up 10 levels with it. I've used it a couple times to catch up to a dungeon I want to run, or go from 70-80 in an hour just to cap off a character.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
Honestly, without crafting I would have stopped playing GW2 faster than I did.

Crafting is fun, and the effort to do so isn't too terribly bad. I've maxed out weaponsmithing and armorsmithing, which allowed me to make some nice boxes for my guild in addition to making them the exact weapons/armor they wanted. Plus, achievement points.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
Short update.

Sickness and the holidays intervened but now that's over. My friends and I have transferred to the Gates of Madness server. I'll try to contact you later today Dispari. I'm Peregrine Falcon.5496 in game.

Thanks for the invitations everyone. Have fun! :)
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
And again, can you keep it out of this thread? This is for people who are PLAYING and ENJOYING the game. If you're not playing it and don't want to, it's clearly not a thread for you, so can you stop crapping it up with passive-aggressive insults and go away?

You won't find any insults from me - passive aggressive or otherwise.

You're perfectly entitled to discuss GW2 and so is anyone else.

The fact that I refuse to buy or play another NCsoft product because of the way they treated us shouldn't bother you in the slightest.

It's just an opinion.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »

OK, just stepping in for a moment in response to a request via mod report.  I don't see that anyone's broken any specific rules, but I think we've pretty well established by now that some of us have no plans to ever play another NCsoft game.  Let's allow people that are playing GW2 to have a thread where they can discuss the game without having to talk about that and go about our business.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Dispari

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 01:15:36 AM »
Short update.

Sickness and the holidays intervened but now that's over. My friends and I have transferred to the Gates of Madness server. I'll try to contact you later today Dispari. I'm Peregrine Falcon.5496 in game.

Thanks for the invitations everyone. Have fun! :)

I haven't been on much in the last couple days (holiday, etc) but I'm on today and got your message. Tried sending an in-game message but I guess I missed you. I sent you an invite though. You should be able to invite your friends after that.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

OK, just stepping in for a moment in response to a request via mod report.  I don't see that anyone's broken any specific rules, but I think we've pretty well established by now that some of us have no plans to ever play another NCsoft game.  Let's allow people that are playing GW2 to have a thread where they can discuss the game without having to talk about that and go about our business.

I'm ok with that.

I think my point has been made.

I'm done with this thread.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
What I found amazing was the inability of so many people to simply read.

Guild Wars 2 wasn't actually even the subject of this thread. Something so many of you didn't realize because you simply didn't even read the OP.

Son, I am disappoint. :(

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
On the bright side, it looks like you did at least manage to find yourself a guild.  Mission accomplished! :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
I know. I know.

I'm a traitor for wanting to buy GW2 because NCSoft will get money. Personally I don't feel the need to punish the folks at ArenaNet for the actions of NCSoft. I understand if you don't agree, but I'd rather this thread not be about that.

Just to give my 2 inf:

You are not a traitor.
You have a desire/wish.
So nobody should stop you. It's everyones own decision.
And at least you support Arenanet. And supporting a dev can't be that wrong.

If I wouldn't be bored of GW1 and the additions of GW2 would be more "whoa!", I guess I would play it too.
But at least everyone has todo what makes himself happy :).

Have fun in the GW2 world ;). Maybe when it less expensive I will buy it myself.
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
What I found amazing was the inability of so many people to simply read.

Guild Wars 2 wasn't actually even the subject of this thread. Something so many of you didn't realize because you simply didn't even read the OP.

Son, I am disappoint. :(

I read the OP very carefully and I understood every single word.

I also meant every single word that I wrote in my posts.

Your disappointment is misplaced.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
I read the OP very carefully and I understood every single word.

I also meant every single word that I wrote in my posts.

Your disappointment is misplaced.
Yet you are still here with your disapproving presence while giving all of us playing GW2 the virtual stink-eye.

Now shoo ... I say shoo boy you're botherin' us.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 01:03:40 AM by FatherXmas »

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 03:10:33 AM »
Yet you are still here with your disapproving presence while giving all of us playing GW2 the virtual stink-eye.

Now shoo ... I say shoo boy you're botherin' us.

Actually, I was finished posting here.

I only responded to the drivel that Falcon put in his 'disappoint' post.

I actually bear no ill will to anyone playing GW2 - honestly.

My distaste only lies with NCsoft, so I'll happily cease posting in this thread ... unless someone else decides to have a pop at me of course.

Vyx

• Minion
  • @StormVyxen and or Vyx
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »
And again, can you keep it out of this thread? This is for people who are PLAYING and ENJOYING the game. If you're not playing it and don't want to, it's clearly not a thread for you, so can you stop crapping it up with passive-aggressive insults and go away?

On a happier note,

Just hit my third 80 (elementalist, mesmer, then warrior, whee!) and still loving the crap out of this game. 10 character now... *hides* I'm totally obsessed with the roleplay possibilities inherent in sylvari, which is probably why I have 4 of them!

The holiday content is just outstanding. This is the amount of content other MMOs have put into expansions, just for a holiday! I love it!

I'm loving the holiday stuff. I think they learned a great deal with how well (poorly) the Halloween event went over and applied that to the holiday event.

Also, I'm currently on Darkhaven with the bf, but after reading this post, am contemplating a move, but to where, I don't know yet. I'll entertain any suggestions offered. :) If you want to hit me up ingame, an email to Babylon Project or Trick Candle will get to me (those are my two current projects. Heck, you could even send it to StormVyxen and I should get it, but she's lower on my project list.)
Huron: "...with Coffee primary / Attitude secondary"
Charnage: "Please. Think of the poor, defenseless desks."
Mentalshock: "Apocalypse has been canceled due to lack of interest."

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. She failed... In the year of the Praetorian War, she became something greater... our last, best hope for victory."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
I just hope the 15 item box is permanent, this is my first event in GW2.  It does remind me a bit of the ones in CoH.  I like the variety of beasties found in a gift box but those little princess dolls are the spawn of Satan.  The rest I can usually solo but those dolls ... shutter ... with their tiny little screams ... just run, save yourselves.

I enjoy making snowmen, not too clear about the usefulness of some of the gifts and the ugly wool sock market has totally collapsed, made some nice coin with them during the first 12 hours.

Guitar Hero was bad enough with 5 keys but 9 on the bells challenge, I never was coordinated enough to pull that off.

Over all the event has been enjoyable.  I do miss the ski slope and bobsled slide though.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2012, 10:30:57 AM »
So my friends and I did indeed get into the guild. And while we haven't seen many of the members on yet - because of the holidays I'm sure - we did team up with one of the guild members and run the first dungeon. Ascalon Catacombs.

We're still new and getting used to GW2's action combat. In particular my friends aren't yet used to the idea of having to dodge-roll to avoid big attacks and I wasn't happy about my Guardian (tank-ish class) being rag-dolled across the room so often. It was kinda frustrating.

The guild member, sorry I've forgotten his name, was very friendly and patient with us and helped us to learn a lot. His help and advice turned what would have been a horrible experience into a fun learning one.

I'm really looking forward to teaming up with more of the people once the holidays are over. It may be awhile before I can talk my friends into running another dungeon though. :)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
Leveling in this game is maddeningly fast.

You gather basic resources, you get XP.

You heal a fallen NPC or another player, you get XP.

You get to a POI, you get XP.

Yesterday I started at Level 50 and when I was done finishing exploring the area I was exploring I was level 53.  And that's with me taking something like an hour to figure out how to get to one vista (usually a high point that triggers a pretty camera flyby of the nearby areas you can see from that point, plus a bit of XP).  The most challenging Vista I've been to so far (the Breached Wall vista in the Diessa Plateau region).