Author Topic: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?  (Read 36600 times)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:16 AM »
I know. I know.

I'm a traitor for wanting to buy GW2 because NCSoft will get money. Personally I don't feel the need to punish the folks at ArenaNet for the actions of NCSoft. I understand if you don't agree, but I'd rather this thread not be about that.

Anyway, myself and a couple of my RL friends are planning to try GW2. We'd prefer to join a guild of City of Heroes players, especially social ones that chat over a voice program, Vent, Teamspeak, etc.

So is anyone a part of a GW2 guild that would like to invite three more former CoH players?
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »
Personally, I'm not avoiding it for some sort of boycott or grudge against NCSoft.  I just had such a bad experience playing the first game that I'm not bothering with the sequel until there's a free trial. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
Yes, bit the bullet and got it this week (sale at BestBuy, I have two RL friends wanting me to join them since "your game closed"  :gonk:). 

Still learning the ropes.  Only character is a Norn Mesmer.  Got her to level 7 so far.

It's a heck of a lot more polished than City of Steam, so far no "MUST TEAM" quests/missions/tasks.  Nothing game breaking for me yet in terms of controls, except snowball fights required a bit more coordination other than tabbing to target and pressing 1.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Chiller Beam

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
Been playing it for a couple of weeks now and it's enjoyable, great active combat system and good looking graphics. Loving the weapon system where it determines your abilities, helps create a bit of variety, especially with the utility slots.

My only problem so far is that i'm finding it impossible to settle on a character, none past 30 yet.

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »
I'm on Sanctum of Rall as Sithrose.5168 if you want to join our little tiny guild. It's a fun game. I don't feel guilty about playing it - I bought it before the shutdown was announced, and I'm not going to waste my money. I just hope that NCSoft doesn't screw ArenaNet over too.
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Fulcrum

• Lieutenant
  • The Phoenix Effect
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
It's my choice and my preference, but nothing with an NCsoft logo, no matter how far removed, is going on my machine. ;)

dreadshinobi

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I played up 2 lvl 60s and did about 15 ranks or so of pvp in gw2. It's a great game the first play through, and it was alot of fun when I started, but after you get 1 character to 60, the game gets stale very very quickly. Leveling is the same for each and every character, and it becomes just alot of running around to the same places in the same way for the same goal over and over.

PvP is pretty fun too, and if I ever went back to gw2 it would be for that reason, as it doesn't get stale anywhere near as fast as the PvE does, however I don't see alot of general population of coh being big on pvp, ymmv.

The dungeons also need alot of work, and they're no where near as fun as coh TFs were (they can actually be downright unpleasant at times). Every dungeon mob spawn and boss essentially works the same way: You either dodge roll the 1 shot mechanic and live, or you don't and die. Then if you managed to survive the 1 shot mechanic you better be prepared to do it again in 5-10 seconds, and hope you don't run out of vigor.

Technerdoc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
I buy it before the big crash because some of my friend was there and I just can say that this is one of the boring games I ever played. Always the same stuff over and over again, always the same armor I have to wear and nothing special happens when I have a level up... Why teaming? To collect something in a team to fit this mission bar, or smashing some mosters with wild hacking and bashing? A lot of fun... zzzZZZzzz

My only motivation to play was the %-counter on the map and then there was all this crashes. I deinstall the game around level 50, after the story mission where I always crashed, so I didn't see a way to go on. It was like a sign from heaven: "De-install this game with the NC-Soft sign, or something bad will happen..."  :P

Dispari

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
My girlfriend and I, and a few other ex-CoH people, have a small guild on Gates of Madness. We wouldn't mind more people. We do dungeons every week or so. We have several level 80s, one person working on a legendary, and chat over Skype.

Main characters: Sudona Forte, Flora Nuali, Victoria Noir
(I don't remember my global number but those will add me just fine)

Candie Firestar

• Underling
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »
NEVER!   >:(

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
The SG I was a part of on Virtue (Justice Corps) moved to Devona's Rest in GW2 (Justice Company).  As nearly the entire core of the 'Corps made the move over we have a lot of people on daily.  As we're just getting the hang of the game recently we've started filling our weekly schedule as time permits.

I'd say to look for me in-game but my personal gaming PC is down for some stupid reason and in the shop at the moment, and I can't play from this one.  So instead check out justicecorps.guildportal.com if you'd like to see if you'd fit in.   

Burns

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:36:10 AM »
i bought gw2 because i wanted to see what it was that took the place of the game i love coh... and to be honest it was a complete let down... i have tried Team Fortress 2 and its alot of fun and tankmmo.com is fun aswell also combat arms is pretty fun and league of legends... all are free to play. im still hoping someone will pick up city of heroes... anyone playing anything out there thats fun? please let me in on it.. thanks

Vasarto

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 02:39:04 AM »
I saw gameplay in guildwars 1 from a friend....thought it was one of the worst looking games I ever seen and hated it.

Not gonna play it ever...

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 02:54:42 AM »
 I would rather go back to playing on Intellivision..

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 05:00:43 AM »
Arenanet =/= NCSoft.

Wishing them illwill is the same as wishing Paragon Studios ill will because of Tabula Rasa. It's understandable, but unfounded.

That said, I was really into GW2... until I got kinda bored. The personal story takes a huge nosedive once the Mary Sue takes over and it ceases to be your personal story. The dungeons are fun, but the nature of how you acquire legendaries means that explorable modes are made to be grinded... which I don't really like. iTrials are quick (usualy... UG/MoM, lookin' at you!) and exciting. Dungeons can be exciting, but to do them that much, when they can feel so long, is meh to me.

I have a level 80 Warrior on Tarnished Coast, but the WvW mechanic for 100% map completion meant that I needed Red Borderland - but it kept being Yak's bend, and they held their garrison pretty hard for three weeks in a row. Eventually I got upset and switched servers, then switched back.

It's amazing how may gameplay features I wished were in CoH (moving while attacking, being unable to grief other players because of shared enemies, cheap easy respecs...) and yet how many things just bug me. They keep doing one off events that are buggy at best. They seem to care about trying to fix lost rewards for players, but I'd rather just have FUN. At worst when Warwalkers hit Atlas I was lagging in game, I wasn't feeling like my computer was about to explode and unable to get credit for my contributions.

So, GW2 was insanely fun for me, bought before the announcement, and then... I just don't see a lot of reason to keep playing except occasionally. I hate not being able to really fulfill a role solidly (I can't tank! Auuuuugh!) and the lack of healing feels more frustrating than positive.

Was worth the initial cash dump, but not worth more.
Woo! - Argent Girl

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:13 AM »
I would rather go back to playing on Intellivision..

I'll do you one better and say I'd rather go back to playing the Fairchild Channel F.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »
My wife and I bought it in April. We did the BWEs and have been playing it since early access 3 days before launch. Even though the story lines were alright I didn't really care for the gameplay in GW1 much, but GW2 is very different gameplay wise. I've already leveled two characters to 80 on Tarnished Coast (the unofficial NA RP server). We've both been getting a little burned out on the game lately, though, so we went back to our other fall back game since CoH is gone and have been doing holiday stuff in EQ2 a lot the last couple of weeks.

Thankfully you can level a character up completely in WvWvW instead of PvE if you want so having to do the same content repeatedly isn't as much of a problem in GW2. Also, once you get to the Orr zones there are no more hearts to do. It's all DEs and there's a lot of them. It can still get repetitive like any other MMO content, but it's a bit interesting to watch points on the map change hands. I also like exploring in these games so things like getting map completions and doing jump puzzles makes me happy :P .

Overall I think the game is better than most at launch. The community on my server seems pretty decent and it looks like ArenaNet are committed to working on the game and adding more to it. So I don't regret the purchase even though I'm not sure I would have made it if I had foreknowledge of how NCSoft was going to handle what they did to what has been my overall favorite game and community in 14 years of MMOs.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 01:04:18 PM »
Sad thing for me is I was going to Buy GW2.  Brought up the NCsoft webpage to get it... then noticed the announcement for the closing of City of heroes.  Didn't think about GW2 again.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

Dispari

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
I saw gameplay in guildwars 1 from a friend....thought it was one of the worst looking games I ever seen and hated it.

Not gonna play it ever...

GW 1 and GW 2 are completely different. I played and ragequit GW 1, but love GW 2. It has a ton of the things I loved about CoH that I thought no other game would ever do right. In fact, the devs have openly said they took a lot of inspiration from CoH, from things like open-ended, role-free classes to sidekicking.

So, GW2 was insanely fun for me, bought before the announcement, and then... I just don't see a lot of reason to keep playing except occasionally. I hate not being able to really fulfill a role solidly (I can't tank! Auuuuugh!) and the lack of healing feels more frustrating than positive.

Some classes have more ability to support than others, although the game is intentionally designed to not have a "tank" or a "healer." Classes like thief and ranger don't do much to keep allies alive, but engineer, elementalist, and guardian can. But really, each character is supposed to be a self-contained character who can do damage, heal and buff themselves, and potentially support other players. It's more of a CoV mold than CoH. I always much, much preferred the hybrid do-it-all CoV classes. But I know that's not true of everyone.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 06:20:22 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen,

For those of you who didn't read the OP, this thread is about myself, and a couple of my friends, looking for a nice group of fellow CoH players to join with in GW2.

Please stop with the anti-NCSoft posts. That's not what this thread is for. There are 100 other threads out there for you to make those posts.

To those of you who've offered to take me and my friends into your guild, thank you very much.

Our copies of GW2 arrived just yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It looks like we'll have to do a server transfer at some point. We rolled our first characters on Borlis Pass before we understood that you only get one server.

Give us a few days to de-n00bify and then we'll try to figure out how to make contact in game. Thanks.

- Sean, aka Peregrine Falcon
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."