Author Topic: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?  (Read 36578 times)

Dispari

• Underling
Re: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
Just let me know if you'd like to hang out with a small group of long-time friends who migrated from City. :D

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
Been playing for several months...

Have done just about everything (Been there done that), loosing interest...

found myself playing minecraft again...

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 01:20:19 AM »
I found this on another thread -- monetizing GW2.  FYI only: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm/blogId/1209/entry/24237/utm_campaign/MMORPG%20Daily%20Digest%20Email/utm_source/MMORPG/utm_medium
Yes we know, there's a thread about that over in Save Paragon City.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:11:15 PM »
I found this on another thread -- monetizing GW2.  FYI only: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs.cfm/blogId/1209/entry/24237/utm_campaign/MMORPG%20Daily%20Digest%20Email/utm_source/MMORPG/utm_medium

And here's my reply to this link in the other thread:

The problem is that, like Father Xmas says, the article is untrue.

The monetization manager who worked at Nexon? Was hired last MAY. She's been there the whole time. She's probably the reason the GW2 cash store is mostly boosters and gamble boxes and is very skimpy in the things that successful American-MMO cash shops (COH, LOTRO among others) are full of - cosmetics.

There IS no pay to win. You CANNOT buy the Ascendant gear. You can't buy it with Gems (Paragon Points equivalent) and you can't buy it with in-game gold. You can't buy it. You have to play the game for it.

Is the Acendant gear a departure from their earlier philosophy and is it too grindy? That point is very debatable, and in their latest AMA, the dev in charge of it has said they rolled it out poorly, and it's being re-evaluated and balanced.

But it is NOT pay to win.

This article is a pile of debunked garbage from someone with an axe to grind.

As for "don't get attached to GW2?" It has EXACTLY the same payment system as GW1, which rolled out shortly after COH and is still running. Server cost is almost nothing to maintain an MMO in skeleton mode (which is part of why I was so pissed they didn't do that with COH - it doesn't cost anything to leave a server running)

GW2 continues to make gobs of money, and GW2 is rolling out brand new content every single month so far. They plan to have expansion-level stuff every 6-8 months. And they've added content to the gem store with every content - most of it limited-time gamble boxes, true, but containing a chance at some very cool skins. I know a lot of people who've sunk a lot of real $$ into gems for those things.

GW2 is healthy and doing fine.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
Ladies and gentlemen,

For those of you who didn't read the OP, this thread is about myself, and a couple of my friends, looking for a nice group of fellow CoH players to join with in GW2.

Please stop with the anti-NCSoft posts. That's not what this thread is for. There are 100 other threads out there for you to make those posts.

Thanks for posting that. People drive me crazy :-/

Yes, I'm playing and loving GW2. I'm over on Tarnished Coast, which is the best game server I've been on in any MMO since Virtue. It's the "unofficial RP server" and just full of helpful people and tons of events going on every day. Also we kick butt in WvW :)

I've got a fantastic RP guild that I love tons, lots of ex-COHers in it too :) Anyone on TC who wants RP - or on another server and contemplating a move - drop me a PM and I'll hook you up!

I'm also totally willing to answer noob questions and whatnot. Since my friend started playing (older lady, first video game was Minecraft and GW2 is her second, so QUITE a learning curve!!) I've become sort of an expert at playing noob shepherd :D

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
My PC has been back for a few days AND I bought a new graphics card, woot!  The game is gorgeous now.  Anyway, my handle in-game is adelante.5763 if you want to send me an in-game mail or message.  My guild is on Devona's Rest and is primarily comprised of the Justice Corps. SG from Virtue. 

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
Sad thing for me is I was going to Buy GW2.  Brought up the NCsoft webpage to get it... then noticed the announcement for the closing of City of heroes.  Didn't think about GW2 again.

Same here.

I will not be buying GW2 under any circumstances.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
I have this and to be honest, it's making me realise how good the writing and storylines in CoH actually were. Along with reinforcing many other things I already knew but still. I'll admit the story missions are good, but they don't flow like CoH did because every other mission you have to stop and go help random people with random things for a while before you're high enough level for the next one.

Sure, in CoH there was no grand overarching storyline declaring me the chosen one who'll save the universe from evil. But I never wanted that anyway, and I still don't think it belongs in MMOs despite every major MMO lately having some such thing. And every last one of them doing exactly the same thing wrong - stopping the story I was just starting to enjoy to make me go do random throwaway quests for people who aren't relevent long enough for me to care. While in CoH, when I started a story arc I could play to the end of that arc with no interruptions. I didn't have to leave just after I'd found out the Rikti were planning another invasion to go bash Circle of Thorns heads in unless I actually wanted to. (Which sometimes I did, because teams were always more fun.)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:57 AM »
I'm going to talk about some differences between GW2 and CoH.

And BTW I'm currently on Sorrow's Furnace, seemed like the right place for an ex-CoHer.  My one character is Anchoret Wolfsbite.  I don't know if that's how you can friend me or not.

The Marketplace.

GW2's player market isn't either an auction house or a consignment house but a straight up marketplace.

On the buying interface there is your usual set of filters for level and type/subtype of item but unfortunately not character class, which I find very annoying because I don't want to search through three pages of boots in my level range for the 4 my class can wear.

When you click on an item that you would want to buy, you are shown something around the dozen lowest prices that players are offering the item at plus the number of those items available at each of those prices.  Buying is immediate unless you put in a bid at a price less than the current lowest price.

Selling is also different.  First you can tell right away if there are nobody looking to buy.  Second you must sell your item for 1 bronze higher than what NPCs are willing to buy the item for.  This can mean that including fees from the market you will earn less that what an NPC will pay you for it.   Third the interface presents you with three (or four) options, sell to the highest bidder, set you price to that of the lowest seller, set your own price and optionally add the item to your already existing sell order for that item at the same price.  So if you are already selling 10 watchamawhosits for 50 bronze apiece and you've looted another dozen, you can add them to your existing sell order also at 50 apiece. 

I have no idea what limits there are on total number of buy or sell orders you can have on a character.

Also interesting is you can bring up the market interface anywhere, and post orders at any time, any where.  However you have to show up at one of the market locals (with exception of special item drops that could summon a rep to a location for 5 minutes) to pick up your money or items.  Find armor you can't use due to class or that it's weaker than what you have, NP, fire up the market at sell that sucker and poof it's out of your inventory.  However unlike CoH, there is no storage at the marketplace.  You have to put it up for sale and pay the posting fee of 5%.  Selling fee is 10% and they get you coming and going.  Sell something for 20 and it'll cost you 1 to post and 2 more when it sells.

Not all loot is sellable at the market.  Some are broken junk that's meant to fill your limited inventory space just to be annoying.  Some will bind with your character upon equipping and then you can only sell them to NPCs and not other players.  Of course if you don't equip it, you can sell it via the market.  There are some items that are salvage only, and when you do they then create items that you can sell.

What's interesting is the transparency of this scheme over the traditional auction or double blind consignment house.  When buying you see the price from a number of sellers and when selling you are shown the current high unfulfilled bid as well as the lowest seller.  It gives you a lot more useful information than our last five transactions.  But it does prevent selling an item much less than what an NPC is willing to buy it for and a seller can't get lucky.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
Hi all. Sorry it's been so long since I responded. I hadn't forgotten this thread.

When we first made characters my friend transferred to another server so we could all be together. So we had to wait for 7 days until he could transfer again. Plus, as I said, we wanted to spend some time learning the game so that we could make some informed decisions.

I showed my friends this thread last night. Later today we're going to discuss it and decide which of the offers to accept and then transfer to that server.

Much thanks from myself and my friends to those of you who've extended the invitation to join your guild.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
I have no problem going to wherever, I just thought Sorrow's Furnace sounded like the perfect combination of depression and rage that I felt at the loss of CoH.  Plus it wasn't full when I signed up ...  :-[

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »
Same here.

I will not be buying GW2 under any circumstances.

Please, can we keep this sort of thing out of this thread?  This is a thread for those looking for a home specifically within Guild Wars 2.  There are many other threads to discuss boycotting NCSoft products, there's no good reason to make other CoH-ites feel like traitors in this thread.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
I am thinking of buying GW2 tomorrow.  I have played COH for 8 years and am looking forward to a new game ( not that I didn't love COH, its just time for me to move on until the game comes back).  I had a free trial of GW2 and I did enjoy it.  I made a human.  My question is, if you make another race, do you do different story arcs or is it the same with different NPCs?

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
well I'm not avoiding GW2 because of the actions of anyone or entity or company or corporation, it's just the game didnt catch me eye. I might eventually get around to giving it closer look when I get around to it. So far the content/style/type of the game doesnt look like something I would be into.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »
Please, can we keep this sort of thing out of this thread?  This is a thread for those looking for a home specifically within Guild Wars 2.  There are many other threads to discuss boycotting NCSoft products, there's no good reason to make other CoH-ites feel like traitors in this thread.

Traitors?

That's not a word I have used about anyone who chooses to play another NCsoft game.

I only stated that I will not be buying GW2 under any circumstances, due to my thoughts on how NCsoft went about there business with CoH.

It just feels wrong to give them my cash under the circumstances.

Others can do what they feel like. It's a free country.

Feycat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 12:44:46 AM »
Traitors?

That's not a word I have used about anyone who chooses to play another NCsoft game.

I only stated that I will not be buying GW2 under any circumstances, due to my thoughts on how NCsoft went about there business with CoH.

It just feels wrong to give them my cash under the circumstances.

Others can do what they feel like. It's a free country.

And again, can you keep it out of this thread? This is for people who are PLAYING and ENJOYING the game. If you're not playing it and don't want to, it's clearly not a thread for you, so can you stop crapping it up with passive-aggressive insults and go away?

On a happier note,

Just hit my third 80 (elementalist, mesmer, then warrior, whee!) and still loving the crap out of this game. 10 character now... *hides* I'm totally obsessed with the roleplay possibilities inherent in sylvari, which is probably why I have 4 of them!

The holiday content is just outstanding. This is the amount of content other MMOs have put into expansions, just for a holiday! I love it!

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »
I loved GW1 (and still play, although infrequently these days). I elected to pass on GW2, for multiple reasons, the NCSoft connection being only one of them.

I'd say the biggest reason is because I've become quite taken with TSW, and have been devoting most all my gaming energy into it. I also have been pretty burnt out on the high fantasy genre for a few years now (one of the reasons I only log into GW1 about once a month these days). Even a world I already knew the history of wasn't enough to make me really want to jump into a fantasy game. Additionally, my current sketchy finances mean I didn't really need another fairly expensive B2P box to buy.

And yeah...NCSoft.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
And again, can you keep it out of this thread? This is for people who are PLAYING and ENJOYING the game. If you're not playing it and don't want to, it's clearly not a thread for you, so can you stop crapping it up with passive-aggressive insults and go away?

On a happier note,

Just hit my third 80 (elementalist, mesmer, then warrior, whee!) and still loving the crap out of this game. 10 character now... *hides* I'm totally obsessed with the roleplay possibilities inherent in sylvari, which is probably why I have 4 of them!

The holiday content is just outstanding. This is the amount of content other MMOs have put into expansions, just for a holiday! I love it!
I think my Norn mesmer is up to Level 49 now, simply by exploring the various Level 1-15 areas off of each major city fully.  Leveling is easy.  Leveling your crafting skill, now that's hard, well annoying at least.  And you thought unlocking the crafting table in CoH was tedious work.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2012, 06:30:41 AM »
I think my Norn mesmer is up to Level 49 now, simply by exploring the various Level 1-15 areas off of each major city fully.  Leveling is easy.  Leveling your crafting skill, now that's hard, well annoying at least.  And you thought unlocking the crafting table in CoH was tedious work.

Crafting in GW2 is extremely easy.  Basically, they work like this:

Everything aside from Jewelcrafting & Cooking:  Discover recipes for the cheapest things you can make.  Level up your crafting doing this until 375, at which point use karma recipes for Rare equipment (preferably stuff you can use or sell) to hit 400.

Jewelcrafting:  Ingots, ingots, ingots.  If you have a full stack of ore (250) you can easily get 15-20 crafting levels just from making the appropriate ingots.  From there make certain you craft 10 or settings while you get XP for them, as well as the bands & hooks to go with them.  Then discover recipes using the gems you have until you have either gotten to a new tier or have to repeat items.  Don't forget to engrave/gild etc. with the filigree and then craft with the filigreed gems.   If you have to repeat, go with earrings as they are the cheapest to make resource-wise.  At 375 you're again going to start relying upon karma recipes, but they are stinkin' expensive to make.  Only make things that you're going to use here, or can sell well, because they're too expensive to let go to waste.

Cooking:  Cooking is all about repetition.  Starting out you're going to want to make sure you have 250 sticks of butter - you'll go through every last bit of it.  Make at least 100 balls of dough - you'll need more, of course.  From then on it's discovering things that you can make relatively cheaply and in bulk.  Generally this revolves around different fruits (Strawberries, Blackberries, etc) which you use to make Cookies for 25 levels, then Tarts for 25 levels, then Pie Fillings and Pies for the 25 levels.  If you have the ingredients you can go from 1-400 in about 20 minutes.  Cooking is different from the others in that you don't get the bulk of your experience from discovery but from repetition of recipes, so keep that in mind.

I generally go with Cooking on all of my characters to level them up some before switching to one appropriate tradeskill and Jewelcrafting.  Jewelcrafting is another of my leveling skills that I use a lot.

I rather enjoy crafting in the game, if for no other reason than it's relaxing to do while you just chat with friends or listen to music... and your characters still progress.