Author Topic: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?  (Read 36652 times)

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
Re: Anyone Playing Guild Wars 2?
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:05 AM »
My friends and I are always in game mondays and fridays, sometime between 6pm - 10pm Pacific. Generally we're also on a couple days other than that, around the same time, but mondays and fridays you're guaranteed to catch us in game.

You gotta join us on Skype and run around with us, once you get settled in. Show us the ropes, share your wisdom, take the n00bs on a dungeon run, etc.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2013, 07:20:15 AM »
I see the logic in making roles removed from straight up tanking or healing.  Lets face it, bringing up a baby emp defender was a pain in the arse.  I played all the ATs in CoX and found that I was useless as a scrapper or blaster, then came brutes and corrs  ;D  Yes, I loved to go "play"with GMs with my stone/stone tank, but it was always a draw. 

If GW2 goes F2P, I would consider checking it out.  Now that I know that former CoXers (still hate saying that  >:() are playing it makes me hope the community spirit we had may be infectious.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »
If GW2 goes F2P, I would consider checking it out.
GW2 doesn't have a monthly sub, if that's what you're talking about. If you're talking about the "buy box to play game for free" concept, considering how long GW1 has gone without ever going truly F2P, it's unlikely to ever happen. Anet has a system, it works, and they're unlikely to deviate from it.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
GW2 doesn't have a monthly sub, if that's what you're talking about. If you're talking about the "buy box to play game for free" concept, considering how long GW1 has gone without ever going truly F2P, it's unlikely to ever happen. Anet has a system, it works, and they're unlikely to deviate from it.

Ah, I was unaware of the 1 time purchase (guess I should have read more of the posts).  I think I should just look into the youtube vids to see the play style and environment and decide if I want to front the cash.  Just wish it was a F2P so I could test the waters to see if I like it.  Thanks for the info and you were getting "hat head" from having to put the mod hat on so many times in there ;)
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
GW1 eventually had a free trial.  Which is how I came to play it and discovered I hated it.  GW2 has a few things that interest me, but given how distasteful my experience with the first game was, I'm waiting for a free trial.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »
I think they've had one free weekend thus far, don't know if there are plans for a trial.  Thing is, the gameplay is completely different from the first Guild Wars.   

The first Guild Wars only had hubs where you could meet with people you were not grouped with, the missions and explorable areas were all instanced for your party.  In GW2 the world is open for everybody on your server, though there are "overflow" servers if an area is too populated.   The only thing that really ties the first GW to GW2 is the storyline and maybe sPvP, but I haven't really gotten my feet wet in that mode yet. 

Pretty much everything in PvE is designed to be co-operative, you don't compete against the other people in your server for resources, enemy spawns, etc.  Dogpiling enemies is not frowned upon, it's a legitimate tactic in this game as everybody gets full experience and the same chances for loot.  You see a node of Copper Ore, but someone is already going for it... no biggie, they get theirs, you get yours, everybody gets theirs from it and every resource node. 

If you're an achievement/badge whore there's a metagame just for you as well.  While there are very few titles in the game there are a buttload of achievements, each of which gives you a bit of points that everyone in your guild can see.  It basically shows how much stuff you've done in the game.  Whether it's doing Daily Achievements, Monthly Achievements, or just the various achievements such as killing certain numbers of enemies, exploratory achievements, etc.

The only solo/group instanced areas that I can think of are the dungeons. 

Mysterious J

• Minion
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »
Yeah, I tried GW1 and hated it.  GW2 is completely different in feel, and has taken a lot of cues from stuff in CoX (badge-hunters paradise, I tells ya, plus the beauty of exemping down).  It's not supers, which is a strike against it, and you can't do nearly as much with your appearance as I'd like (but you can divorce appearance from gear to some extent, so you don't have to dress like some crazy warhammer dude just because you like the warhammer-esque armor's stats), but it is casual-friendly...and since there's no monthly fee you can pick it up and put it down as you like.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2013, 06:34:24 PM »
Let's see, a few more differences between GW1 and GW2...

In GW1 you had some quests in instanced explorable areas and then you had the larger scripted 'missions', also instanced with lobbies in which to form teams.  In GW2 you have Personal Story missions (with various branches that reflect your personal choices, but the very end is the same regardless) that are instanced for you and your party but the majority of the game is played in the open world with other players.  I say "open world" but really every zone is its own instance with as many players as it can hold.    There are "Renown Hearts" which are public quests with personal progression.  When you fill the Heart to completion you unlock a merchant who will barter your Karma (a currency gained through doing different things) for different items.  There are also loads of world events that happen with pre-ordained triggers.  Some of them trigger from Renown Heart completion, some trigger from interaction with players, some happen at set times of day.  Some chain off of previous world events as well.    But these (Personal Story missions, Renown Hearts, and World Events) are the primary source of experience gain.  You also get experience from exploring, gathering, crafting, defeating enemies (NPCs or other players in WvWvW), and finishing tasks such as "Zone Completion".  To complete a zone you have to find every point of interest (POI), finish every Renown Heart, view every Vista (sometimes found at the end of platforming puzzles, they give you a panoramic view of the surrounding area or a key point in the game's history), finish every skill point challenge, and unlock every waypoint.  Each of these actions gives experience individually as well as a bonus upon zone completion.  The bonus varies, but generally it is 2 decent pieces of gear, some karma, a nice chunk of money, and occasionally something that you would otherwise have to purchase from the cash shop such as an experience booster.

I guess that's just one difference, really, when you think about it.  There's just a heck of a lot to do in the game.  I leveled my second Warrior to 80 recently and have begun getting good gear for him.  I initially wanted him to be just support-oriented, but then I stumbled across a build that I really like.  It's still very supportive with massive buffs to group damage and some crowd control but it also deals substantial damage to single-targets through bleeds & critical hits.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  So now I have a Warrior that is just pure damage dealing with no real group support and a Warrior with heavy support and nice damage too.    I am constantly getting praise from group mates when the enemies just melt in front of us.

Edit:  Thought of another difference.  In GW1 you generally clicked to move and this could be troublesome.  In GW2 you use mouse/keyboard to move and there is an active "dodge" mechanic tied to endurance so that you can not just spam dodge, but you can use it to get out of sticky situations.  It makes for a much more active gaming experience.

Another difference is the way skills are handled.  First off, your primary 5 skills (1-5 on the skill bar) are determined by your equipped weapons.   Every class has 2 weapon sets aside from Elementalists & Engineers who only get the one (one for normal combat, one for underwater combat still).  You can switch between them at will or with a small cooldown during combat.  Your number 6 skill is a healing skill.  Most only heal the user but some have bonus effects for other players, especially with unlocked traits.  You unlock the 7 slot at level 5, this is your first class skill.  At level 10 (I think) you get your second class skill slot (number 8) and then at 20 your last one (number 9).  At level 30 you can purchase an Elite skill for your number 10 slot. 

The slot skills are purchased with skill points whereas weapon skills are unlocked through gaining experience from combat with the weapon equipped.  There are no respecs for slot skill purchases but you will gain far more skill points than you have skills throughout the game.  There are 3 tiers for the skills that reflect their cost in skill points.  The first tier skills cost one skill point apiece.  The second tier unlocks when you have purchased 5 skills from the first tier (generally at level 7 or 8).  Second-tier skills cost 3 skill points apiece.  The third tier of skills opens when you have purchased 5 second-tier skills.  Third-tier skills cost 6 skill points apiece.  Elite Skills have 2 tiers, and to purchase second-tier Elite skills (which cost 30 skill points each) you will have to have unlocked 2 Elite Skills from the first Elite skill tier. 

It sounds ridiculously complicated when written out but it's amazingly simple and the game walks you through it easily.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:42:17 PM by Adelante »

Mysterious J

• Minion
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »
It's worth noting that out-of-combat you can change out your equipped weapons completely (as well as the hotswapping back and forth between two sets that most classes have) which completely changes your skills bound to 1-5 and you can completely change which skills out of your bunches that are bound to 6-0 and you can change up your "Traits" (kind of like being able to select IO set bonuses independent of having actual IO sets).  IOW, you can almost completely change the powers and style of play whenever you're not in combat.  If that's not enough you can also get respecs, which allow you redo all your Trait selections if you want to specialize in different lines.  So there's a lot of flexibility in trying out various builds and changing them up depending on what you're doing.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »
So far, I am loving the game.  My only problem I am having with it is the limited number of slots available.  I know I can buy more but for me, that is very hard to do.  My altitis is really suffering in this game.  But I am liking my Elementalist (my highest toon at 27) and my Guardian (lvl 12) the best.  I did recently find out that depending on the zone you are at you are set down to the relative level of that zone.  I was wondering why my lvl 25 (at the time) couldn't plow through the lvl 10 baddies like I could when I was in CoH.  It does give a nice spin on the game though.  All zones can be a challenge and that is kinda nice.  I have finished two zones totally, Queensdale and Kessex Hills and I am on to the next (I forgot the name).  Most people I have encountered on the game have been really freindly but I do miss the chat channels CoH had.  Overall, I am most pleased with my purchase of the game.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2013, 09:48:59 PM »
In GW1 you generally clicked to move and this could be troublesome.
I immediately turned that crap off. Cannot stand CTM in any game.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2013, 03:05:20 AM »
I immediately turned that crap off. Cannot stand CTM in any game.

Me either... of course, for me it's because it complicates the process of adapting the controls to a gamepad.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2013, 07:05:49 AM »

Stop posting about NCsoft's past and possible future in this thread. Stop posting about how you hate Guild Wars in this thread. Stop posting about how Guild Wars will die a horrible death very soon because NCsoft is a horrible, baby-eating monster.

Post about playing Guild Wars in this thread.

Further infractions will incur a temporary ban. Not kidding. We're adults guys, let's act like it.

Just getting this on this page.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Just getting this on this page.

Now it's on this page twice from my POV.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
You can move with the keyboard as well in GW1 you don't have to use the mouse i know i didn't.

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2013, 09:46:26 PM »
Guesting is finally coming on Jan. 28th, along with the removal of free world transfers.  They'll be a paid feature at that point.

Vyx

• Minion
  • @StormVyxen and or Vyx
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:22 AM »
Guesting is finally coming on Jan. 28th, along with the removal of free world transfers.  They'll be a paid feature at that point.

I'm actually looking forward to guesting.
Huron: "...with Coffee primary / Attitude secondary"
Charnage: "Please. Think of the poor, defenseless desks."
Mentalshock: "Apocalypse has been canceled due to lack of interest."

"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. She failed... In the year of the Praetorian War, she became something greater... our last, best hope for victory."

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2013, 07:18:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to guesting too, mostly because it will likely make finding groups for playing a lot easier.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:20 AM »
And it only took them almost six months to get the feature in that was supposed to be in at launch....

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2013, 04:36:19 AM »
And it only took them almost six months to get the feature in that was supposed to be in at launch....

Less time than it took to get the last 10 levels into CoV.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot