Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 332581 times)

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #980 on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
There will always be a need for police. Fewer traffic violations won't lessen that by much, if at all.

I tend to agree with you but then if I took a a few of your jobs functions away I don't think you'd be jumping for joy.  Most people I know get a little paranoid when some of their job functions are taken from them.

In the Netherlands during the 15th century, workers felt their livelihoods were threaten by automation.  They threw their wooden shoes call sabots into the machines to stop them.  Hence the word sabotage.

Police are human too and there's no reason to think they wouldn't feel threatened by self driving cars.  Some will welcome the tech.  Some will fear it.  I fully expect to hear Police unions do a song and dance act befitting a broadway play.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #981 on: April 17, 2014, 02:09:30 AM »
I am, too, but I could also live with that.  As a matter of fact, if your car can essentially become your "designated driver," well then, you could go out and drink as much as you wanted without ever having to worry about a DUI (unless of course you were so drunk you actually tried to drive manually).   ;)

I couldn't agree more and it would be easy to force auto cruise.  We already have in car breathalyzer devices that stop you from starting a car if you are drunk.  Pretty easy to force a breathalyzer before human cruise can be turned on.
No Surrender!

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #982 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:00 AM »
I would not be surprised to see law enforcement against self driving cars.  The cars aren't likely to speed, get into accidents, run red lights/stop signs, park illegally, and the various other things which human drivers do.  Less of those means less need for police.
That was the next thing I thought of!

But even more of a reason for law enforcement to oppose it....revenue goes away.   No more speeding, running red lights, parking tickets means a massive reduction in revenue.   It won't be the police specifically....but which ever government branch gets this money will not like that very much.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #983 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
There will always be a need for police. Fewer traffic violations won't lessen that by much, if at all.

The bigger thing would be the loss of easy money from speeding tickets.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #984 on: April 17, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
That was the next thing I thought of!

But even more of a reason for law enforcement to oppose it....revenue goes away.   No more speeding, running red lights, parking tickets means a massive reduction in revenue.   It won't be the police specifically....but which ever government branch gets this money will not like that very much.

It'll be difficult to build much momentum around that though, because in my experience for every traffic cop out there that loves to give out speeding tickets, there's a couple that don't and at least one that has nightmares about the last time a driver challenged the laws of kinetic energy transfer and lost big time.

Conversely, if municipalities in the long run have to spend less money on managing traffic, traffic accident disruptions, etc, it could end up at least washing out the overall expense.  And automated driving significantly increases the carrying capacity of existing roads, reducing the need to add traffic capacity to highways and city streets. 

Its really difficult to predict how it will all play out.  For example, when they began replacing incandescent light bulbs with LED lights in traffic lights, the logic was that because they used less electricity and lasted longer they would end up costing less to use overall.  And that was true - unless you did this in an area where it snows a lot.  The old incandescents were so hot they would melt any snow that landed in the lightbulb shield.  The LEDs were cold, allowed snow to build up in the traffic light assembly, and could eventually allow snow to block the bulb entirely.  So it became necessary to send road crews to clear the lights in some cases, which increased costs until they retrofitted lights in those areas with snow deflectors.  But even with the deflectors, the LED lights still end up costing a lot less to operate overall.  To really get the net impact of automated driving, you'd have to sum up a very large number of collateral effects.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #985 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
Normally I'm anti-nanny state, but I wouldn't mind seeing a law that if you get caught drinking and driving, you are banned from driving in manual mode and can only use computer-driven cars.
I don't know how we got off on this tangent, but I would LOVE to have a computer-driven car.  I LOATHE driving, and being able to hop in, browse the Internet, sleep, or just chair-dance down the interstate is like a dream come true.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #986 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
Oh yeah, I would TOTALLY use it on my drive home from work. The highways around here are parking lots anyway, so if I can let the car drive along at 5mph while I put my feet up and troll the forums browse the internet, so much the better.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #987 on: April 17, 2014, 09:51:15 PM »
One thing that is being confused in the issue of law enforcement is the idea of revenues. The city/county/whatever gets the revenue, not the police force. Also, most of the cops I know would love it if they didn't have to deal with idiot drivers, although the stories as to why they deserve not to be issued the citation can be pretty entertaining.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #988 on: April 17, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
I enjoy driving, but I hate traffic.  I'd enjoy being able to put the car on Autopilot when I didn't want to deal with traffic, and back to Manual for open roads.

Also, I want my car to sound like William Daniels and have Super-Pursuit Mode as an option.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #989 on: April 18, 2014, 02:37:41 AM »
I don't know how we got off on this tangent, but I would LOVE to have a computer-driven car.  I LOATHE driving, and being able to hop in, browse the Internet, sleep, or just chair-dance down the interstate is like a dream come true.

I was thinking more along the lines of an anatomically correct and fully functional female HRD (Human Replica Droid) from Star Wars to pass the travelling time while the car drove itself.

Or maybe one or two model # 8 cylons (aka boomer).
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #990 on: April 18, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
I enjoy driving, but I hate traffic.  I'd enjoy being able to put the car on Autopilot when I didn't want to deal with traffic, and back to Manual for open roads.

Also, I want my car to sound like William Daniels and have Super-Pursuit Mode as an option.
yeah I probably wouldn't buy an full time auto pilot car. Although it probably will be funny to watch the clamoring to figure out at crash site if the car manufacturers is at fault or the driver or who with cars that drive themselves. Likes computers, and as far as they have came, they still crash they still bug out, they still get viruses, and they still get hacked. But then again, would be be drunk driving if a drunk have it on auto pilot and the car was technically driving it self?

Me I love driving though. That is why I have a tendency to buy cars that are comfortable for hours, smooth riding and have some get up and go when needed it while not being loud brash rough noisy while doing it. To many others cars is simply a point A to point B be slightly more comfortable than the city bus but not yet comfortable mode of transportation and would love auto pilot cars. I think if they did it, it will sell like hot cakes. I do not text and drive, barely eat and drive or have to fiddle with the radio or internet or ipod every other second to stay entertained. I enjoy being behind the wheel. But others, they would love their transport time to be freed without the choice being cant really do it effectively while driving or having to deal with a bunch of weirdos and losing hours to get 10 minutes down the road on the city bus and then have to deal with it again and trying to match up the schedule with the bus schedule and good luck going out at night in most places after 9. Or take the taxi which to get around the corner cost enough to drive an Excursion that runs so poorly and get 3 mpg (although even when running properly it isnt far from it (gas engines)) there and back and there once more and back again and leave it idling for 8 hour shift and still not spent the amount in gas as that taxi ride for a few miles.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #991 on: April 19, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »
I was thinking more along the lines of an anatomically correct and fully functional female HRD (Human Replica Droid) from Star Wars to pass the travelling time while the car drove itself.

Or maybe one or two model # 8 cylons (aka boomer).
Ah yes... the classic boomers...
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #992 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »
Me, I love driving my new 2014 Mustang GT Coupe (Deep Impact Blue), hate traffic & slow drivers in the left lane who wont move over.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:04:38 PM by TDGeorge »
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #993 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:32 PM »
Conversely, if municipalities in the long run have to spend less money on managing traffic, traffic accident disruptions, etc, it could end up at least washing out the overall expense.  And automated driving significantly increases the carrying capacity of existing roads, reducing the need to add traffic capacity to highways and city streets. 
Excellent point.

I tend not to trust government though.  They always seem to want more revenue.  They usually overtaken any cost savings.   One example being in Texas where they are now building toll roads routinely.   Their excuse is this:
The Texas highway system has not kept pace with the needs of a rapidly increasing population. Over the past 25 years in Texas, our population has increased 57 percent and use of our roads has almost doubled. However, state road capacity increased only 8 percent during this time.

http://www.texastollways.com/content/about-toll-roads.php

The revenue for roads comes from the use of roads (gas taxes)...so that means revenue has also "almost doubled" too.  (they forgot to mention that part of course)  Even if you allow for increased gas mileage over the past 25 years, they've still gotten a huge boost in revenue so there is no excuse for only increasing road capacity by 8% and now claiming they can only build new roads via toll.

So I fully expect the government to waste the cost savings garnered through automated cars and beg poverty in the future.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #994 on: April 19, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
Right there with you.   Driving gives me tired-head.   Driving in traffic makes me ill-tempered.   I'll be at the head of the line.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #995 on: April 19, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
Oh yeah, I would TOTALLY use it on my drive home from work. The highways around here are parking lots anyway, so if I can let the car drive along at 5mph while I put my feet up and troll the forums browse the internet, so much the better.
The best part is that "parking lot" will go away with automated cars.   Remove human stupidity and you eliminate traffic jams.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #996 on: April 19, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »
Me, I love driving my new 2014 Mustang GT Coupe (Deep Impact Blue), hate traffic & slow drivers in the left lane who wont move over.
I read that 4% of the population are sociopaths so they may be the ones on the roads actively seeking to irritate other people.    :D

Using cruise control really shows you how stupid a lot of drivers are.   People routinely speed up and slow down, make passes and slow down, slow down during a pass and ride beside you in the passing lane (blocking traffic), speed up as you try to pass them.   I've even figured out that you must pass someone by over 5 mph in order for them not to subconsciously speed up as you go by.   If you are just easing by them with your cruise control on, most drivers speed up to match your speed.   It's fascinating.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #997 on: April 20, 2014, 02:57:16 AM »
I read that 4% of the population are sociopaths so they may be the ones on the roads actively seeking to irritate other people.    :D

Using cruise control really shows you how stupid a lot of drivers are.   People routinely speed up and slow down, make passes and slow down, slow down during a pass and ride beside you in the passing lane (blocking traffic), speed up as you try to pass them.   I've even figured out that you must pass someone by over 5 mph in order for them not to subconsciously speed up as you go by.   If you are just easing by them with your cruise control on, most drivers speed up to match your speed.   It's fascinating.

Irritating of course but that doesn't include the pseudo-police who actively try to box you in thinking it's their duty to slow traffic down.  Wonder how many accidents are due to these people?
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #998 on: April 20, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
Excellent point.

I tend not to trust government though.  They always seem to want more revenue.  They usually overtaken any cost savings.   One example being in Texas where they are now building toll roads routinely.   Their excuse is this:
http://www.texastollways.com/content/about-toll-roads.php

The revenue for roads comes from the use of roads (gas taxes)...so that means revenue has also "almost doubled" too.  (they forgot to mention that part of course)  Even if you allow for increased gas mileage over the past 25 years, they've still gotten a huge boost in revenue so there is no excuse for only increasing road capacity by 8% and now claiming they can only build new roads via toll.

So I fully expect the government to waste the cost savings garnered through automated cars and beg poverty in the future.

I'm sure you're aware of those that believe we need a per mile tax also.  Last time I checked we had one of those already.  We called it a gasoline tax per gallon.  This per mile driven tax though would require gps systems in our cars with a download of our driving so we can be taxed.  Amazing what I could learn about you by looking at where you've been taking your car.  I could see all kinds interested parties like:  divorce lawyers, insurance companies, various crime prevention agencies, various health/safety agencies.  Shall I continue?

No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #999 on: April 20, 2014, 03:44:00 AM »
The best part is that "parking lot" will go away with automated cars.   Remove human stupidity and you eliminate traffic jams.

Assuming no glitches or malfunctions happen.