Author Topic: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.  (Read 332596 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: OK, what now? I need a private server or the ability to run my own.
« Reply #1000 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51:20 AM »
Irritating of course but that doesn't include the pseudo-police who actively try to box you in thinking it's their duty to slow traffic down.  Wonder how many accidents are due to these people?

They cause lot of accidents. They mess up the flow of traffic more than they realize. In Europe they consider those folks, obstacles in the road. Here, I do not think it's against the law in most places and places where it do say slow traffic keep to the right, passing lane only, or even minimum speed limit, is rarely enforced as much as driving too fast.

Because trying to switch lanes while stuck behind the yokle that want to prove a point by driving 50 mph in 65-70 mph traffic is a dangerous act. Because now stuck behind them ya have to do 50, and then when you switch lane hope to speed up before some guy doing the speed limit come around the corner and slams into while ya trying to speed up. Or the very least they waste your gas when you try to accelerate to true traffic speed when switching lanes. I think simple enforcement of all laws not just speeding laws would kill lot of those things. Someone holding up traffic because they are self righteous scared to drive at proper speed limit or blocking the left lane, should be pulled over where the laws applies.

And in some cases many of them have been killed and or otherwise injured in accidents by going to slow in blind spots, or switching lanes too early too slow. They area danger to themselves and other people on the road.

Germany even with no speed limit zones where it'
s common for people to pushing 100 mph+ there is less accidents because the view of driving is bit different. People really do not hang out in the fast lane going slow just to go slow. They either stay to the right and or move over because they can get ticket for obstructing flow of traffic and it's enforced. Or it could be that the driving tests are a bit more stringent over there instead of proverbially handing them out to any bloke that walks in like in the states. 

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1001 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:55 PM »
I'm sure you're aware of those that believe we need a per mile tax also.  Last time I checked we had one of those already.  We called it a gasoline tax per gallon.  This per mile driven tax though would require gps systems in our cars with a download of our driving so we can be taxed.  Amazing what I could learn about you by looking at where you've been taking your car.  I could see all kinds interested parties like:  divorce lawyers, insurance companies, various crime prevention agencies, various health/safety agencies.  Shall I continue?

You don't need GPS for that, just a bunch of traffic cams connected to a good network -- in fact it doesn't even need to be government, a few hundred cooperating individuals could probably build a comprehensive view of all traffic movement in a city with inexpensive hardware and passive cameras.  I've been wondering if some anti-abortion co-op movement/church would be the first ones to implement in order to track and protest anyone visiting an abortion clinic.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1002 on: April 21, 2014, 04:22:59 AM »
I couldn't agree more and it would be easy to force auto cruise.  We already have in car breathalyzer devices that stop you from starting a car if you are drunk.  Pretty easy to force a breathalyzer before human cruise can be turned on.

Sadly this would not lower DUI's at all.  Not in my state at least.  While DUI laws are very good to have around to deter people from driving drunk.  In my hometown.  DUI's are just something police give out to people when they are bored.  You have an open beer in the back of your seat,  you pass all tests including the blood.  Too bad DUI.  You are too drunk to drive so you sleep in your car and put your keys on the tire or even down the street.  Too bad DUI.  You hop on a bike, skateboard, longboard, horse, razor scooter because you are too drunk . Bam DUI.  You friend is hammered in the front seat holding a sealed bottle of wine.  Bam DUI.  Just by being in the car you would get a DUI.  Just by thinking about taking an automatic car home would get you a DUI in this town.  Its how they pay for everything.  I had a friend who got a DUID because his shirt had a weed leaf on it and even after he passed a drug test they still charged him with a DUID.  In my home town they have a saying.  "Come for vacation stay for probation" and all of it is from DUI's.  The 0% tolerance works though.  I won't even drive after drinking 1 beer which would have me well below .08% and that is still enough to get a DUI in this town.  So people learn to never drink and drive, not even 1 beer.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1003 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:11 PM »
Sadly this would not lower DUI's at all.  Not in my state at least.  While DUI laws are very good to have around to deter people from driving drunk.  In my hometown.  DUI's are just something police give out to people when they are bored.  You have an open beer in the back of your seat,  you pass all tests including the blood.  Too bad DUI.  You are too drunk to drive so you sleep in your car and put your keys on the tire or even down the street.  Too bad DUI.  You hop on a bike, skateboard, longboard, horse, razor scooter because you are too drunk . Bam DUI.  You friend is hammered in the front seat holding a sealed bottle of wine.  Bam DUI.  Just by being in the car you would get a DUI.  Just by thinking about taking an automatic car home would get you a DUI in this town.  Its how they pay for everything.  I had a friend who got a DUID because his shirt had a weed leaf on it and even after he passed a drug test they still charged him with a DUID.  In my home town they have a saying.  "Come for vacation stay for probation" and all of it is from DUI's.  The 0% tolerance works though.  I won't even drive after drinking 1 beer which would have me well below .08% and that is still enough to get a DUI in this town.  So people learn to never drink and drive, not even 1 beer.

That would be an abuse of police power.  I'm guessing the judge/magistrate is in on the racket too.  I've heard of towns like that which did much worse.  When I was in college, they caught one of the neighbouring sheriffs in a prostitution ring running out of a motel.  The deputies were policing the motel looking for people who would cause trouble for the operation.  The local drug dealer sold at the motel too getting his drugs from the sheriff.  So I was told.  Never went there.  No desire.  That was over 20 years ago.  No idea what it looks like today.  No desire to find out either.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1004 on: April 21, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »
You don't need GPS for that, just a bunch of traffic cams connected to a good network -- in fact it doesn't even need to be government, a few hundred cooperating individuals could probably build a comprehensive view of all traffic movement in a city with inexpensive hardware and passive cameras.  I've been wondering if some anti-abortion co-op movement/church would be the first ones to implement in order to track and protest anyone visiting an abortion clinic.

Trust me.  They'll use it.  A good set of traffic cams won't work that well in rural America.  Each county will want to make sure it's getting its 'fair share'.  It's all about tax money.  It's too much work and unnecessary for an anti-abortion group to bother with.  They don't need to protest the customers, just the businesses that offers the services.
No Surrender!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1005 on: April 21, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »
I don't know how we got off on this tangent
Remind me again how long you've been an active member of this community?

In any case since its highly unlikely anyone is going to build one in this thread, dig one up in their back yard and post about it here, or see one fall from the sky in a pod sent to us from a dying planet, topical drift is somewhat unavoidable.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1006 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:31 PM »
Irritating of course but that doesn't include the pseudo-police who actively try to box you in thinking it's their duty to slow traffic down.  Wonder how many accidents are due to these people?
I never considered that angle.   I'll bet there are people like that.

I have to admit I get that urge but don't act on it.    Really only when one of those crotch-rocket motorcycles zooms by at 90mph weaving in and out of traffic causing people to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them.  How do those guys stay alive?

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1007 on: April 21, 2014, 07:52:49 PM »
Assuming no glitches or malfunctions happen.
Oh I'm sure it will happen occasionally.  Which would mean traffic jams would only be reduced by 99% instead of 100%.   8)

I can live with that.    ;D

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1008 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »
That, or decide to move out of Hazzard County.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1009 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
I never considered that angle.   I'll bet there are people like that.
There are people like that. I've had to deal with them on occasion while going to and from work. They are most irritating.

I have to admit I get that urge but don't act on it.    Really only when one of those crotch-rocket motorcycles zooms by at 90mph weaving in and out of traffic causing people to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting them.  How do those guys stay alive?

My guess would be absolute luck. They'll think that it's because of their phenomenal skill controlling the bike. But, it's not. It is pure unadulterated luck.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1010 on: April 22, 2014, 01:10:57 AM »
My guess would be absolute luck. They'll think that it's because of their phenomenal skill controlling the bike. But, it's not. It is pure unadulterated luck.
It is, and I've seen what happens when that luck runs out first hand: its not pretty.

If you play poker, you know that even though you're heavily favored to win when you go all-in holding four of a kind, on rare occasions you will lose.  A lot of people think its reasonable to bet your life on a 50,000:1 bet.  Statistically speaking, more than 50,000 of them.

Even calling it bad luck is a bit disingenuous.  If 100,000 people bet their lives on a 50,000:1 chance and two die, that's not bad luck.  That's statistically uninteresting.  But people are, when it comes to probability, complete idiots.  They think 50,000:1 odds are so small everyone should be able to beat that, or its bad luck when they don't.  That's a critically flawed misunderstanding of how the universe works.

Many years ago near where I live there was an auto accident where a group of teenagers that were racing another car hit the side of an elevated highway, drove up and over the concrete barrier, sailed off the highway, through the air, and crashed into the parking lot of a gas station several hundred yards downroad, killing everyone in the car.  They left the car there for weeks afterward as a form of public awareness campaign.  Many people called the accident both "tragic" and "bad luck."  Its not bad luck when you are driving so fast that your car has sufficient kinetic energy to propel it out of an elevated highway and a thousand feet through the air *after* leaving over a hundred feet of skid marks on the road.  Thinking the cause of the accident was bad luck is why they keep happening. 

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1011 on: April 22, 2014, 03:44:30 AM »
Oh I'm sure it will happen occasionally.  Which would mean traffic jams would only be reduced by 99% instead of 100%.   8)

I can live with that.    ;D

Indeed.

But hopefully they glitch or need software update every two hours or new car dealers and mechanics would be out of business.  :D

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1012 on: April 24, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »
Wow, this thread has been so thoroughly derailed. Makes me nostalgic for the alt hiarchy on Usenet, lol.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #1013 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:40 AM »
Wow, this thread has been so thoroughly derailed. Makes me nostalgic for the alt hierarchy on Usenet, lol.
i was just going to comment on how much i was enjoying this thread 21 pages in mostly because it had wandered so far off topic.   ;D
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1014 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:11 AM »
Wow, this thread has been so thoroughly derailed. Makes me nostalgic for the alt hiarchy on Usenet, lol.

Alt.coh.private-server.bork.bork.bork

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1015 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:51 AM »
We really should rename this thread Atlas Park.
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1016 on: April 24, 2014, 01:48:07 AM »

Indeed.

But hopefully they glitch or need software update every two hours or new car dealers and mechanics would be out of business.  :D

A trip to Florida could involve a lot of reboots of the car there.   So do you boot your car in the morning instead of start it?  If it stalls, does that mean a reboot?

How about support issues.  What if they flash a corvette's bios on a mustang or a cobra by mistake?  Or how about installing the wrong car bios?  Does that invalidate the warranty?  I could just see it now, "I flashed the mustang's bios on my fiesta thinking I'd get more performance out of it but I bricked my car instead   :'("  That's be one expensive brick!

No Surrender!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1017 on: April 24, 2014, 03:33:00 AM »
A trip to Florida could involve a lot of reboots of the car there.   So do you boot your car in the morning instead of start it?  If it stalls, does that mean a reboot?

How about support issues.  What if they flash a corvette's bios on a mustang or a cobra by mistake?  Or how about installing the wrong car bios?  Does that invalidate the warranty?  I could just see it now, "I flashed the mustang's bios on my fiesta thinking I'd get more performance out of it but I bricked my car instead   :'("  That's be one expensive brick!
Just avoid scheduling long drives on patch Tuesday.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1018 on: April 24, 2014, 07:48:18 PM »
That, or decide to move out of Hazzard County.

Ya I probably should, damn Boss Hog.  First state to legalize marijuana.  Drinking strictly forbidden.   Kinda makes sense I guess.

Beltor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1019 on: April 25, 2014, 05:35:13 AM »
We all know that private servers are a long way off. Talking about other things is a good way to wait and keeps the forums active. Don't worry about things going off topic as long as it doesn't upset people or cause an argument. If a breakthrough for private servers or plan Z happens, i'm sure things will return to the original topic almost instantly.

As for autodriving, the biggest problems would hit tourism and road trips. The preprogrammed routes would likely not cross small rural areas without major advertising. Back when the first highways were built, many small towns died because people had no reason to go through them and stop there anymore. The same thing would happen with auto driving technology. Yard sale? What's that? Not to mention that routes could be changed by corporations or government desires. Pitstops could be routed based on corporate brand name desires. Routes could be changed by government to avoid protest and prevent protesters from gathering, which would affect free speech. Auto driving could be great by lowering accidents and nearly ending traffic problems but it could also be bad. The human element needs to always remain an option.