Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187360 times)

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
I really just sit down and let myself actually realize CoX is really gone.

No more jumping on random teams and doing random radio missions for hours on end and getting to know the members of your team, even if your going to forget them 10 mins later. One thing for me that every other MMO is missing is the ability to not have to follow some generic story and just jump into some random mission and have fun with complete strangers, and by the time the team breaks up you feel like you really get to know them. I have as of yet not found that experience anywhere else.

The worst part of it is, when something was wrong I could lose myself in CoX like many people have already said. But right now, I need to lose myself to forget about CoX but I can't go to CoX to forget about CoX now can I? All that leaves is letting myself get lost in hating the ones who took it away, just let the anger fester... I cannot and will not ever forget about it. Because every time I feel the need to just forget about everything I'm going to think about CoX and then think about how much I hate... them...

Anyway felt like I needed to let that all out, it helped a little knowing that all those strangers can still hear me even if they can't see my chars.

Take care everyone.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
I really just sit down and let myself actually realize CoX is really gone.

No more jumping on random teams and doing random radio missions for hours on end and getting to know the members of your team, even if your going to forget them 10 mins later. One thing for me that every other MMO is missing is the ability to not have to follow some generic story and just jump into some random mission and have fun with complete strangers, and by the time the team breaks up you feel like you really get to know them. I have as of yet not found that experience anywhere else.

The worst part of it is, when something was wrong I could lose myself in CoX like many people have already said. But right now, I need to lose myself to forget about CoX but I can't go to CoX to forget about CoX now can I? All that leaves is letting myself get lost in hating the ones who took it away, just let the anger fester... I cannot and will not ever forget about it. Because every time I feel the need to just forget about everything I'm going to think about CoX and then think about how much I hate... them...

Anyway felt like I needed to let that all out, it helped a little knowing that all those strangers can still hear me even if they can't see my chars.

Take care everyone.

Yeah the irony of what you identify as the worst part is its truth: I can't play CoX to get over losing CoX.  No doubt in a few hours I'll think of some of other favorite aspect of City of Heroes but one of the things I always liked best and which is not norm in the few other MMO's I've tried is the way people would buff one another in passing, on the street, at the train stations, at the Auction House, in Ouroboros, sometimes saying Thanks, but often not--after all these were superheroes dashing to a mission.  Laugh with me, if you will, at my Noobish self on my earliest toon, a dark defender vampire, in Wents, suddenly bursting into flame when hit with pre-custom colorization i.e. original Thermal Radiation buffs.  I was erroneously convinced my character had caught on fire, and that I'd perhaps exceeded some time limit at the Auction House.  I promptly logged and phoned my friend who had a good laugh, told to me what had happened and to click one of the little UI arrows so I could see all the buffs and debuffs on my character.  (I hope this recollection is as amusing for you as it is for me; sorry for the digression.)   

Sure, many of the buffs didn't last long, fading before or not long after one zoned into a mission.  Maybe some did it, hoping to get buffed in return, but most did it (imo) simply because in-game they did have the power to do something nice and because potentially even that little something might make a positive difference, and in some instances, it did.

I process my emotions at different levels and at different speeds.  I'm still angy with NCSoft.  Why wouldn't I be?  They hurt me and not only didn't prevent the injury, inflicted it.  Beyond disappointed, I felt contempt for their inept handling of their valued clients, us.  I didn't encounter Rage until I witnessed the emtional impact this had on my sgmates and friends, and every server community.  I discovered not only rage but a really dark ugly anger wilth exasperation over my inability to stop it as an extra layer of yuck.   I had to let myself go thru the Sad part, really very much like attending a funeral.  Maybe it's not that way for you at all.  I know in myself Sorrow can sometimes convert into Anger, and I recall being angry at the first funeral service I attended, as well as shocked, because it all seemed so avoidable.

That they thought so little of us by first failing to anticipate and plan for how their CoH customer would feel about this, and sternly rebuffed our outcry and potests to Save CoH, could be taken that the CEO and execs in on this decision and its implementation are exactly the selfish persons one might imagine; that it's all about them, with the only attention to "customer care" devoted to legal minimums in refunds etc. and not nearly enough to customer satisfaction and little to no understanding or genuine human caring for MMO communities.   There were and still are a number of ways NCSoft could rectify this and at least partially redeem themselves, though I think they lack the enlightened self-interest to see it.

There is absolutely no reason not to feel PO'ed by this and to hate NCSoft.  The only reason I can think of is to not give them the satisfaction - soon they will no longer earn much more than my contempt; merely be that stupid gaming company that made that awful decision - and my other reason is personal.

Me, I've been dealing with sorrow and anger, trying to turn down the volume on those feelings not by squelching but by letting them out (I hope safely.)   I'm hoping to feel a whole lot better soon, but am equally hoping whatever leftover negative feelings I do have get channeled into constructive ways to get CoH rezzed.  I'm hoping that my resolve will prove to be as implacable as NCSoft's "sunset" of City of Heroes because I'd like our City to have another day in the sun.

As you can see I like that quote from Gandhi, but here's another I like:

"In every generation there must be some fool willing to speak the truth as he sees it."  Boris Pasternak.  Thanks for letting me speak my mind.

PS. those execs at NCSoft are idiots.  Billions are spent each year trying to get us to like various products.  (Remember Cola Wars?)  The attachment we "mere customers" have for the specific City of Heroes brand is an advertiser's pancake dream.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:54:13 AM by johnrobey »
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
Yes, absolutely. For me, it's that moment in the RWZ where you're talking to your contact for the next mission, when suddenly Speed Boost! This was before SB became AOE, back when someone had to target me specifically to give it. I remember running off to my mission asap to enjoy that SB as I went through a Dark Watcher mish.

Ah.. good times.

EventHorizonMan

• Minion
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
It's been two weeks since City of Heroes closed, and for those two weeks I've felt like I've lost a friend. I'm just getting over it now, and am treating the fact I can't play CoH any more as the "new normal".

Been on Champions Online since then, trying to recreate the good old days of superheroing but it is not the same. Champs is a good game despite it's detractors but it's not CoH. Nothing ever will. That game was like capturing lightning in a bottle.

I was an EVE Online player on and off for about 3 years, and Retribution is helping me cope by offering me a chance to play something different for a change. However, once I end the game, I see my desktop wall paper of Sonik Siamese, one of my alts, happily bouncing up and down because she went from villainness to heroine after a week-long journey, and the twinge in my heart starts up again.

Perhaps I need more time than I thought.

Event Horizon Man

Celtic Lass

• Minion
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Although I am still miss loading up my heroes from the Freedom server, and I am still very much connected to this fight to bring back the game I loved... I have decided to take a bit of a break from this topic over the weekend.  The loss of 20 children and 7 adults in Connecticut has kind of left me at a loss.

Yes, in the past, I would have just loaded up CoX on my computer and killed some Freakshow or Carni to pacify my desire to resurrect the gunman and beat him to a bloody pulp... but, I do not have that luxury anymore, sadly.

Continue to love your heroes and your community... but don't forget to hold the ones you love close and let them know how much you love them ♥
"Yes, and then I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

Aura Controller

• Minion
  • "Hey, is there room in that head for one more?"
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:28 AM »
Was listening to my music and Three Days Grace-Drown came on and it fits CoH like a glove.
It puts a smile on my face every time I listen to it.
Just had to post this.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AccidentalPsychopath

Look I'm on YouTube!
Is it OK to advertise that down here? O.o
Also does anyone ever read these?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2012, 10:46:56 AM »
I've mostly been too busy to notice, to be honest.
Other than times like right now, sitting here doing mindless work with my hands, I'd be lurking in the D.

On the positive side, I'm more productive now. >.>

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »

The weight of it didn't really hit me until yesterday; I suppose that it's just an enhanced ability to avoid facing reality. I'd been playing World of Tanks for some time; it wasn't CoH, but it was enough different that it made for an entertaining break. Now, it's not CoH is right there in my face like a forehead zit on class picture day.

I took up SWTOR after the 30th, and right away the differences were getting rubbed in my nose; the horribly limited amount of character customization -- it feels as if there are only a dozen NPCs in the game, and they run around frantically behind the scenes changing costumes. The game seems intent on jamming the "3 minions = 1 hero" principle down your throat, and it doesn't feel like a level is worth anything -- I have a character on Dromund Kaas with one of the Heroic 2+ missions; I was two levels higher than the mission, and still got flattened by the -2 elite (boss) that was the third wave of the ambush. I'm dubious that a third level will make a significant difference. In CoH, outleveling a mission twice would reduce the difficulty enough to make it pretty much a cakewalk. On the Jedi side, it just feels wrong to be running around cutting down everything with a red target reticle to level a character whose guiding principles are supposed to be peace and balance. And don't get me started on having to pay to take the tram (taxi/speeder).

It looks as though I'm at the 'anhedonia' point in working through the loss of the game; I'd become too accustomed to being able to lose myself in the game -- become something bigger and better than I was for a while, and let the frustrations drain away... and it's hard to see that there's going to be anything to compare to it.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2012, 05:11:34 AM »
swtor is built with the rules of a traditional mmo. Elites are going to be too dangerous for solo work at low levels. You get to the point where you can do it on some high level stuff but most of the group content really requires a group.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2012, 05:33:22 AM »
im in a similar boat to you srmalloy

ive been dabbling playing fallen earth since the game completely shut down, its an ok game, but the character creator is extremely limited, its a gear based game with mount based travel, to fast travel it requires you to pay, the game itself is very slow pace

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2012, 08:00:28 PM »
swtor is built with the rules of a traditional mmo. Elites are going to be too dangerous for solo work at low levels. You get to the point where you can do it on some high level stuff but most of the group content really requires a group.

It's not consistent, though; I was coming back from discovering that there was a wall of rock between me and the entrance to the 'recover the Ravager' instance -- the same area where I had been sent to recover a Korran (?) communicator on an earlier mission, and twice accidentally aggro'd a Shadow Spawn elite on my way back out, and didn't have any real problem with either of them. I suppose I should go dig up the mission where you're sent to kill them and take it.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2012, 06:12:26 PM »
Poorly.  I'm handling the loss poorly.

Since I'm not interested in other games, I find myself watching any superhero movie I can get my hands on (even the not-so-good ones). 
Messing with the character creator helps and hurts at the same time; it's part of the City come back, but it's not enough. 

I want my world back.

TheMindfulFool

• Underling
« Reply #193 on: December 19, 2012, 06:38:10 PM »
My wife and I are doing okay with the loss. Honestly, we have gotten a lot of projects done after its close. She's finishing a lot of her writing, and I've been working on my 8-bit game projects. So maybe that's a little bit of silver lining.

That being said, there are some nights where we just lay in bed and one of us will bring up something in the game. And we'll end up talking about it and laughing about it, which then turns to her getting this sad look on her face. I can't say I blame her - my face probably gets the same look.

CoH was the first game she ever tried besides Star Wars Galaxies for a few weeks. It was the first game that allowed her to really get into the swing of things. We're both avid roleplayers, and CoH never stopped amazing us with its potential for meaningful storytelling. Not only that, it was a rare breed that allowed everyone to play the stories they wanted without stepping on each other's toes.

I still remember when my wife and I decided it was time to move on with some friends from our old supergroup. And the six of us didn't know what to do or where to go. I remember how energetic my wife was when she said "Let's make our own group". It was a scary thing to try for two introverts like us, but the more our group flourished into a solid seventeen member storytelling machine, the more amazed we became with our ability to lead something.

I don't know what I'm really saying, I guess. I guess I just like talking about the old times in CoH. I miss it. I miss having a game to play with her. Now that CoH is gone, we've been unable to game with each other. We didn't like Champions, and with only one computer being able to handle The Secret World, it sucks that we don't have that activity together.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
Still badly.  Still for the same reason.  Two buses full of my best friends (my characters and my RL friends) were wantonly driven over a cliff by NCSoft.  The one thing I could rely on to release stress is gone (trying to play in other games is more stressful rather than releasing stress.)

Going through a lot of Kleenex.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2012, 03:24:34 AM »
"The Omega slot was going to be out of control. We knew it would be coming right before the end of the game, when everything was winding down and setting up for... well I can't say, NDA's and all. ...anyway, Omega was going to be no holds barred, crazy stuff. Things people begged for since release that we never did because we couldn't figure out how to make them "Heroic" without being "Broken". We had a big list, but the only two I concretely remember being worked out were things like Giant Growth for outdoor GM fighting stuff, and the other one was Multiplication, where the final rank would be making like, four NPC copies of your character at full power."

Read this and felt the loss all over again.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2012, 04:13:58 AM »
We had a big list, but the only two I concretely remember being worked out were things like Giant Growth for outdoor GM fighting stuff, and the other one was Multiplication, where the final rank would be making like, four NPC copies of your character at full power."

*jawdrop* :o

I don't remember that from the articles I've seen yet, where's that from?

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2012, 04:21:59 AM »
It's either from twitch, a podcast, or something else. It's transcribed from audio though.

Torroes.Prime

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2012, 04:22:29 AM »
I'm not going to say it's gone, because I won't let it die. I am continuing the CoH Story in Fan-comic form with other interested Fans of the game. It won't be the game I know and I'm not going to try and claim other wise. But the CoH community id dedicated. We're not leaving and I can't allow CoH to leave either. I will do everything in my power to keep it alive.
Strength and intelligence make no requirement of one another. Power demands both.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
It feels like my CoH friends and all my characters are somewhere halfway around the world from me...not gone, but unreachable. I want them back. Sort of the same feeling as when the Griswalds reached Wally World and found it locked down....only worse.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.